Raising the Cross - Which Way?

Which method of Crucifixion arouses the sense more?

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
A little more on my "mind's eye" method: the hole the upright goes in to.

Make a deep wooden box, say 18 inches deep, that's the exact size to accommodate the base of the stipes and grease the inside to help it slide in. Dig a pit, insert the box, then pack stones and soil around it so it can't move. That gives you a solid socket into which the completed cross can be erected.

The problem I have with some of the lifting pictures on here is that it's pretty hard to lift a weight over your head like that. It's fine when you've got a couple of (expensive) beefy nubian slaves to do the lifting, and only a skinny girl to be lifted. The slave victim is unlikely to be fat, but they could be pretty muscular if they're a manual worker or a gladiator, which makes them a heavy load (and one that may be thrashing around in agony too).

I have no view on which approach is more arousing, I'm just trying to get it right.

Your idea can be done too. Sure!
Even better: romans had acces to concrete they could use that to make a slotted base :)

But the victim isn't neccesarily lifted of the ground and it is a short time you have to reach up and slide the two parts together. As long as you dont lift their toes of the ground they will stretch to prevent putting the weight on the wrist nails
Maybe even give them a box under their feet if need be.
Or make use of rope like in the pic:p

both methods are viable :)

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
Getting nailed by both arms and your feet on the cross on the ground has the advantage of lying on the ground outstretched and helpless, naked (maybe except for a loincloth and crown of thorns) looking up helplessly at your executioners and guards and the crowd nearby feeling truly vulnerable, knowing they could easily add to your whip marks, before being raised to the "safety" of being upright. BUT being nailed by arms outstretched to the horizontal may leave your legs free for the moment, but there is that indescribable few seconds when your naked whip-marked body, bearing just a loincloth and crown of thorns, is raised up to position, your tied and nailed arms bearing your weight, you involuntarily cry out and your body sweats into your whip marks stinging them more, before your feet are nailed. So my favorite is B. Raised separately up to a frame which contains your vertical beam and others. Like in the Jesus of Nazareth film from 1977.

Attachments

• rzr_quoom_tfotbq_095.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_095.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 686
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_096.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_096.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 523
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_097.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_097.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 501
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_098.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_098.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 492
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_099.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_099.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 494
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_101.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_101.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 489
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_100.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_100.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 508
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_102.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_102.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 532
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_104.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_104.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 564
  • rzr_quoom_tfotbq_105.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_105.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 586
Your idea can be done too. Sure!
Even better: romans had acces to concrete they could use that to make a slotted base :)

But the victim isn't neccesarily lifted of the ground and it is a short time you have to reach up and slide the two parts together. As long as you dont lift their toes of the ground they will stretch to prevent putting the weight on the wrist nails
Maybe even give them a box under their feet if need be.
Or make use of rope like in the pic:p

both methods are viable :)
My question with pictures like this one is: "what is the rope running through?". It would be impractical to simply run it over the top of the stipe. There would have to be some sort of pulley or other structure.

In between 2 nails hammered in the top.
A notch in the top of the wood?
Doesn't have to be very smooth, it's only needed a small distance pulling up.

My question with pictures like this one is: "what is the rope running through?". It would be impractical to simply run it over the top of the stipe. There would have to be some sort of pulley or other structure.
it runs over the 2 cornus you see beside the stipes. You see it in front of the top of the ladder. There can also be 2 rings in ancient times.

Attachments

• rzr_quoom_tfotbq_096.jpg
    rzr_quoom_tfotbq_096.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 618
it runs over the 2 cornus you see beside the stipes. You see it in front of the top of the ladder. There can also be 2 rings in ancient times.
I was referring to the pic posted by _Cadre_:
111.jpg
I suppose that some sort of hoisting device might be needed for a tall cross but I think the stipes in the Quoom illustrations is short enough that the three men could have lift her into place using the ladder and a pair of forks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for 2 options where the wrists are nailed first because when the cross is lifted it can't be supported with the legs ... but it has to try to move up to get breathed by pulling oneself up with the nails wrapped up ... It must feel really painful to pray and beg for even nailed support for the legs ... Sure it's not a very long relief if there is that either ... ps. sorry english is not a native language

Last edited:
I voted for 2 options where the wrists are nailed first because when the cross is lifted it can't be supported with the legs ... but it has to try to move up to get breathed by pulling oneself up with the nails wrapped up ... It must feel really painful to pray and beg for even nailed support for the legs ... Sure it's not a very long relief if there is that either ... ps. sorry english is not a native language
I like the idea of letting the victim hang by wrists only, for a few minutes.. until they can’t breathe.. and even beg for feet to be nailed to stop suffocating.. truly this torture is horrific.. :eek: (and strangely wonderful)

I like the idea of letting the victim hang by wrists only, for a few minutes.. until they can’t breathe.. and even beg for feet to be nailed to stop suffocating.. truly this torture is horrific.. :eek: (and strangely wonderful)
I would think that the already shocking pressure as well as pain in the wrists when hanging with all their weight on them would put to beg and pray for even a small moment of relief before breathing difficulties. In that position, every second is a shocking torture. Of course, it reflects the desperation of the situation that the person to be crucified would pray for such help, even for a small moment, because the suffering really continues as soon as the nailers let go ...

Last edited:
I would prefer to lay on the cross while my arms and feet are firmly fixed. Only then would the cross be moved upward with me making the turn from laying down to hanging by my limbs. I would prefer a longer cross so that my feet would be above the ground at least half a meter.

Back
Top Bottom