Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
I have travelled to Ouzarzate, in Morocco, where many roman films have been produced. I have visited the Movie Museum there. They have nice Roman and Egyptian scenarios, with thrones , magnifient roms, open markets… The keep some of the armatures/jackets used in some films. I was surprised to see the quality of the leather pieces. Maybe you may dream with them.
Cool hint! A google picture search bring many cool backgrounds and scenes.
https://www.google.de/search?hl=de&....1.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.1.141.71S1Abc_iIQ

Favorite podcast, "Hardcore History, did a 6 hour episode called "Celtic Holocaust" following Julius Caesars conquest against the brbarians. Only the first hour, but so far so good

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-60-the-celtic-holocaust/

Druids by Morgan Llywelyn tells the story of Caesar's conquest of Gaul from the Gaul's viewpoint - historical fiction of course, but an interesting take on it. I love the line in the opening: "I had been dead for a long time..."

Druids by Morgan Llywelyn tells the story of Caesar's conquest of Gaul from the Gaul's viewpoint - historical fiction of course, but an interesting take on it. I love the line in the opening: "I had been dead for a long time..."
Very interesting. I actually have one of her books. It's about the Easter rising of 1916. Druida gets your recommendation then? Is it G rated?

Very interesting. I actually have one of her books. It's about the Easter rising of 1916. Druida gets your recommendation then? Is it G rated?

I liked it, but it's been at least 25 years since I read it so I wouldn't be able to judge whether it's a good bedtime story for toddlers! Probably not. I've read eight books of hers including 1916, Bard, The Wind from Hastings, Pride of Lions, etc., liked them all I believe.

The network of 'Roman Roads of Britain'.
In a modern pictographic style ;)
Stumbled across this somewhere on a blog called Flip Chart Fairytales.

roman_roads_britain_150.png

The network of 'Roman Roads of Britain'.
In a modern pictographic style ;)
Stumbled across this somewhere on a blog called Flip Chart Fairytales.

Well done Malins - it's been around on Facebook in the sort of groups I frequent, but I'd not managed to 'catch' it.
It's based on the London Tube Map, the brilliant idea of Harry Beck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Beck

Death on the furca

Constantine admitted probable Christian influence in his penal policy when he abolished branding on the face, because the face was created in the image of heavenly beauty, although he allowed branding on the hands or legs. Whether or not it was also Constantine who formally abolished crucifixion in favor of hanging – the change over time to the more humane penalty is certain; the furca, on which death was instantaneous, replaced the protracted agonies of the cross.

The furca was a device for hanging slaves in ancient Rome and refers to the gallows for hanging men. The gallows took its form from the Roman Furca when Constantine abolished crucifixion.

Dig. 48.19.28.15. Famosos latrones in his locis ubi grassati sunt furca Wgendos compluribus placuit, ut et consectu deterrentur alii ab iisdem facinoribus. It is possible that ‘furca’, the gallows, where death was quick, has been substituted by the Justinianic compilers for »patibulo«, or some other word for »cross«.

I discovered an interesting historical wooden work of art in the »Skulpturensammlung und Museum für Byzantinische Kunst« in Berlin / Germany. It is from the time of 4th cent. CE.

furca.jpg furca.2.jpg t2_p2_dagr_page_0467_image_0001.jpg

Pic is displaying the execution of King Gai on the furca. Graphic related to Cod. Vat. Pal. gr. 431, f. 11r (the rope for getting up is missing here).
Pic is displaying the execution of Magyaren Boulousoudes.
 Graphic related to Cod. Cod. Matrit. Vitr. 26-2, f. 135r

The Skulpturensammlung is one of the largest collections of ancient sculpture in the world and is housed in the Bode-Museum on the Museumsinsel Berlin.
(http://www.smb.museum/en/museums-institutions/skulpturensammlung/home.html)

But there exist a lot of other information related to furca. The furca, which in later language means a gibbet, was, in older dialect, used to denote a wooden fork or collar, which was made to bear upon their shoulders, or around their necks, as a mark of disgrace, as much as an uneasy burden.

Unsigned article on pp562‑563 of William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.:
A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, John Murray, London, 1875.
FURCA, which properly means a fork, was also p563 the name of an instrument of punishment. It was a piece of wood in the form of the letter A, which was placed upon the shoulders of the offender, whose hands were tied to it. Slaves were frequently punished in this way, and were obliged to carry about the furca wherever they went (Donat. ad Ter. Andr. III.5.12; Plut. Coriol. 24; Plaut. Cas. II.6.37); whence the appellation of furcifer was applied to a man as a term of reproach (Cic. in Vatin. 6).a The furca was used in the ancient mode of capital punishment among the Romans; the criminal was tied to it, and then scourged to death (Liv. I.26; Suet. Ner. 49).b The patibulum was also an instrument of punishment, resembling the furca; it appears to have been in the form of the letter Π (Plaut. Mil. II.4.7, Mostell. I.1.53). Both the furca and patibulum were also employed as crosses,c to which criminals were nailed (in furca suspendere, Dig. 48 tit. 13 s.6; tit. 19 s.28 §15; tit. 19 s.38). See Lipsius, de Cruce.

Okay once upon there was a mighty Empire and its fall in the West at least ushered in a period of lost records and chaos popularly known as the Dark Ages. Well recently Crux Forums has suffered its own Dark Ages Weeks and among the great monuments lost (blowing of own trumpets ;) ) was certain thread called Roman Resources.

The object of this thread is to help the many would be writers and other artist who desperately want their tales of Rome to be near accurate as can be humanly achieved. Thus this thread is reborn with the aim of being the place where those with useful tools, links, references materials etc can all share them to the benefit of all.

Last time I was overwhelmed by the kindness and useful knowledge that many contributors were good enough to share and so once again I start this thread.

As before my opening contribution is the link to the Orbis tool provided by Stanford University. This tool is primarily aimed at helping scholars understand the political-military-economic underpinnings of the Roman Empire but for most writers it would most likely be best used in calculating journey times for both individuals and groups. I have linked straight to the mapping tool but if you check out the headers you will be guided to pages that explain its use and the ideas behind it.

Welcoming all who come here

Sciurui PopulesQue Romanus

RR
Thanks for killing me

...The furca was used in the ancient mode of capital punishment among the Romans; the criminal was tied to it, and then scourged to death...

Perhaps that they were copying a kind of Gallic torture ... The neck of the condemned was encircled by two furcas , handled by two men and around them, two other men were whipping him to death with huge leather'whips ... But the condemned was nude and not tied : he always could try to protect himself with his arms, but , in fact, it was adding to the torture because they were two whips and never he could know from where the lashes will come !
I read that in a book about Gauls but I dont remember its title ; anyway, it was a well reporting book which was talking about ancient Gallic customs ...

Back
Top Bottom