Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
From that "Crucifixion as Spectacle" article:

It is not necessary to attempt a “definitive” interpretation of the graffito here. Perhaps the artist who inscribed the graffito did not intend it to be a woman. But the person who wrote “Alkimila” did want the onlookers to view the crucified individual as a woman. Latin and Greek inscriptions do not necessarily imply that it was a slave’s name. 113 The lines on the body and left leg are unusual. They may portray curvature or possibly marks from scourging. Langner’s collection of Roman graffiti contains a large number of scenes in which the artists drew lines to help indicate flat planes or curved planes. 114 In any case one cannot conclude that the lines indicate an animal’s skin that would have been used in a damnatio ad bestias. 115 The graffito could reflect the practice of crucifixion in Puteoli, or perhaps it is merely some kind of curse or jest. The author of the Alkimila graffito probably intends the scene to portray a historical crucifixion, just as the wealth of graffiti of gladiators in Pompeii often portrayed known fighters. The graffito of the crucified woman is at the least a moving scene of death for the modern viewer and presumably for many ancient viewers who had some direct experience of the penalty.

I’ve been aware of this graffito for a number of years, but this is the first time I’ve seen it interpreted as the crucifixion of a woman.

Hmmm. . . .
John Granger Cook (Crucifixion in the Mediterranean World) has a photograph of the stone, and as he says on page 203 there is an inscription above the left shoulder: Alkimila. He interprets it as a woman. Scratching it on a stone surface understandably makes the sex ambiguous based on the image.

It certainly does, along with, for example, Martial's Laureolus, who 'hanging on no false cross, gave up his defenceless entrails to a Scottish bear' in the Colosseum.

This article is very interesting. I like the "defenceless entrails". In one of Lindsey Davis' Falco novels it is suggested that the play may have sometimes been performed with a real crucified victim.

I like this too:
The announcement of the show in Cumae included the promise of cruciarii, which the OLD defines as “a crucified person; one who deserves crucifixion, a gallows-bird.”
now I have a new word, cruciarii, why done't we use this more often!

I like this too:
The announcement of the show in Cumae included the promise of cruciarii, which the OLD defines as “a crucified person; one who deserves crucifixion, a gallows-bird.”
now I have a new word, cruciarii, why done't we use this more often!

In writing, sure. In conversation, not until I learn how to pronounce it.

One more thing. What’s the singular feminine form? Cruciara?

Jean-Jacques Aubert treats crucifixion in detail in 'A Double Standard in Roman Criminal Law? The Death Penalty and Social Structure in Late Republican and Early Imperial Rome' [PDF]; Speculum Iuris. Roman Law as Reflection of Social and Economic Life in Antiquity (2002), pp. 94-133.

Jean-Jacques Aubert treats crucifixion in detail in 'A Double Standard in Roman Criminal Law? The Death Penalty and Social Structure in Late Republican and Early Imperial Rome' [PDF]; Speculum Iuris. Roman Law as Reflection of Social and Economic Life in Antiquity (2002), pp. 94-133.

A very good read. Thanks for sharing!

The Emancipation of Women in Ancient Rome (PDF) from Revue Internationale des droits de l’Antiquité, 3ème série, XLVII (2000).

First presented by one of its authors as a lecture, the article is very lively.
Another scholarly provocation: Why is the Hypothesis that Jesus Was an Anti-Roman Rebel Alive and Well?

Despite the endless attempts to discredit the hypothesis that Jesus of Nazareth was involved in seditious activities (and to discredit also its proponents), it provides the best explanation of the available evidence. This article does not merely advance a view to be put along with other reconstructions of Jesus, but argues that any reconstruction of the Galilean preacher that does not consistently integrate the seditious aspects is strongly prejudiced and lacks scholarly soundness.​

Fully developed in Fernando Bermejo-Rubio, “Jesus and the Anti-Roman Resistance. A Reassessment of the Arguments”, Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 12 (2014): 1–105. Yeah, 100+ pages.

very interesting. The ancients were much more connected than people appreciate.

On a different note, roads, a modern and ancient comparison

View attachment 568480

Don’t worry. We’ve been promised a 1.5 trillion dollar makeover. When pigs fly! Perhaps we should bring back the Roman Legions, slave labor, and roadside crosses!

Back
Top Bottom