Salt In The Wounds?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Oh you can let the sea himself do the work of getting that salt in the wounds!

Like this
With moans scarcely said
The women pray for death
The tides will turn
and their sides will burn.
http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/attachments/tomb-sans-whipping1080-png.300014/

Or softer, hoping for the occasional breaker,
... crucified in front of the sea and her lovely Judith, ...View attachment 298029

And nettles, well yes, on the way to the cross, why not just send me through a patch, you trip me there, oh I'm too slow, now it's the whip...

Salt in the wounds would undoubtedly be very painful, but what purpose would that serve in a public execution, whose purpose is to make an example of the victim to deter others? Salt in the wounds would hurt a lot more than it might appear, but onlookers can't see or measure the pain of the victim.

They can see the effects of a whip, the nudity and humiliation of the victim, the hammering of nails through wrists and feet, the writhing and expressions of agony when a victim is forced to hang by those nails and struggle for air to breathe. And they can see the victim's suffering and humiliation continuing for days on end. Those things all contribute to the goals of this type of execution, while any abuse that produces pain that only the victim can really appreciate does not.

In "The Serpent's Eye" I had Balbus the carnifex talk about this while teaching his new slave how to carry out a crucifixion:

“It’s a public execution,” I said, almost shouting to make myself heard over all the screaming and hammering. “What matters is what the public sees and how long it lasts.” I gestured at the crowd, “These cocksuckers can’t see how much it hurts, and these crowbait on their crosses are already screaming as loud as they can, so how would they know if we made it worse? Anything we do to make the pain worse doesn’t show, it only makes these assholes die sooner.”​

Would you have salt rubbed into the wounds? or anything else to make the pain even worse?
Salt & pepper were expensive in ancient times.

The idea of rubbing salt in the wounds comes from the practice of doing so for sailors and sometimes soldiers after a disciplinary flogging. This happened though because such men were valuable and had skills their commanders did not want to see go to waste...hence the use of expensive salt to deter infection. The extra pain may have added to the punishment but the point there was that the punishment was primarily aimed at the individual with only a secondary public component.

As Jedakk points out executions were public warnings...the condemned was typically considered beyond hope, indeed in many cultures pre-Christian times the soul of the condemned was considered beyond hope. Thus anything that did not serve to send a message was a wasted gesture.

The only reason I can think of for wasting salt on a condemned person who was doomed to death would be to announce that I or my regime were incredibly rich (at least in salt) otherwise save it for the living and in particular those worth saving.

Fortunately, the sea is full of salt, so that saves on expense a little, I would think. No need to separate it from the water. And Jedakk is right that the pain is not really more visible, but the purpose is more sadistic than demonstrative, I would think.

A salty solution should be force-fed me to prevent dehydration,
so I'd suffer longer on my cross.
As to nettles, yes, though the most vicious are the small new shoots,
fresh picked (with gloved hands of course) and applied to sensitive skin.
And being tied up and whipped with brambles gave me a taste for pain
when I was only just beginning to discover my kinky side.

A salty solution should be force-fed me to prevent dehydration,
so I'd suffer longer on my cross.
As to nettles, yes, though the most vicious are the small new shoots,
fresh picked (with gloved hands of course) and applied to sensitive skin.
And being tied up and whipped with brambles gave me a taste for pain
when I was only just beginning to discover my kinky side.
remember this ones some years ago there up in those mountains?

Attachments

• `Nettles-B10.jpg
    `Nettles-B10.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 168
  • `Nettles-B11.jpg
    `Nettles-B11.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 160
  • `Nettles-B12.jpg
    `Nettles-B12.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 149
  • `Nettles-B13.jpg
    `Nettles-B13.jpg