Steinlen's 'crucified Serbia'

Go to CruxDreams.com

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
A little bit of history
On October 7th 1915, exactly a hundred years before the date of this post, the Central Powers invaded Serbia. Earlier, during the first months of the Great War, Serbia had succeeded to push back a first attempt by the Austro-Hungarian armies to conquer the country.
It should be reminded that the war had escalated from a conflict between Austria-Hungary and Serbia, after the assassination of the Archduke Franz-Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, and his wife, by Serbian nationalists, in Sarajevo on the 28th of June 1914. One month later, on the 28th of July 1914, Austria-Hungary declared war to Serbia, and the same day, the first shells of the war fell on the Serbian capital of Belgrade.
After the defeat in 1914, the Austro-Hungarian Empire still had a score to settle with Serbia. The campaign of 1915 was carried out from two directions. From the north, Serbia was invaded by a combined force of Austro-Hungarian and German armies. One of the Austrian army commanders was General Oskar Potiorek, who had been sitting in the same car as the Archduke, when Gavrilo Princip had fired his gun on that fatal day in Sarajevo. From the east, the Bulgarian army attacked. Bulgaria had just joined the Central Powers, and had also bills to settle with Serbia, from the Balkans War two years earlier.
Against this force, the Serbian army was no match, and the country was overrun. Serbia would face harsh years of occupation, executions, food shortages and ensuing diseases. It would end the war with the highest death toll rate of both its armed forces (about one in four) and of its overall population (at least on in six) of all war faring countries.
France and Britain sent an expeditionary force to help Serbia, but it was only a small one. Furthermore, they made the strange decision not to go by the shortest way, trough Montenegro, their other ally on the Balkans, ignoring Montenegro's offer to protect allied landings on the Dalmatic coast. Instead, they choose to go through Greece. Although Greece was neutral, the pro-allied government had given permission to use the port of Saloniki for the allied landings. This was however against the will of the pro-German king of Greece. The allied landings worsened the constitutional conflict between the king and his government. As a result, the expeditionary force had to stay in Saloniki. They would not come too late, they just would not come at all to support the Serbian army.
The collapse of Serbia did not go unnoticed at the allied home front. Campaigns were rallied to support Serbia. Serbian soldiers, evacuated after the defeat of their country, paraded over the Champs-Elyzées in Paris. One of the men who engaged himself in the propaganda campaign, was the Swiss-born artist Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen (1859-1923). Steinlen was an artist, living in Montmartre, Paris, in the neighbourhood of Toulouse-Lautrec and a young Picasso, whom he influenced. His work was various : paintings, posters, drawings, lithographs,… His work was typical for the Art Nouveau period before the war. Steinlen had acquired the French nationality, and in 1914, although already over 50 years old, he had not hesitated to join the French army.
During the war, he painted the soldiers in the trenches, and the civil populations hit by the war. After the defeat of Serbia, he depicted the misery of the Serbian people and made some propaganda drawings and posters, calling for support to the Serbian cause.
Probably his most outstanding and expressive work on the Serbian defeat was a 1916 lithograph, known as ‘Crucified Serbia’. It depicts Serbia as a woman, crucified naked on a timber wall (a barn?) with bayonets through her hands and through the thighs of her spread legs.
The lithograph showed typical propaganda elements of the time. The defeated country, overrun by the ‘barbarian’ Central Powers was represented as a raped, tortured, humiliated woman (analogue to ‘the Rape of Belgium’). It appears that during the Great War, crucifixion was a very touching propaganda item against the Central Powers. Steinlen’s depiction strongly appeals to an atrocity propaganda story about a Canadian soldier allegedly having been crucified by Germans. The story of that event, dated in April 1915 near Ypres, mentions a soldier having been crucified alive, with bayonets, to a barn. However, the story has never been confirmed. Different versions exist. The soldier has never been identified, there are uncertainties about the place, and whether that place has ever been in the hands of the German army during the battle. But no doubt, Steinlen was inspired by the story.
Meanwhile, Steinlen’s lithograph even served more propaganda causes. The French sculptor and medalist Ovide Yencesse (1869-1947) casted a medal, showing Steinlen’s crucified Serbia on one side and the text “France France, ne m’abandonne pas” (France, don’t let me down) on the backside. Apparently, these medals were sold to raise funds to support Serbia. Today it seems to be a rather rare collector’s item.

Steinlen1.jpg Steinlen2.jpg
(having found no indication that this has been posted before on CF)
(to be continued)

Meanwhile, Steinlen’s lithograph even served more propaganda causes. The French sculptor and medalist Ovide Yencesse (1869-1947) casted a medal, showing Steinlen’s crucified Serbia on one side and the text “France France, ne m’abandonne pas” (France, don’t let me down) on the backside. Apparently, these medals were sold to raise funds to support Serbia. Today it seems to be a rather rare collector’s item.

As an amateur and occasional numismatist, the medal appeals to me very much, joining a very short list of female crux themed ones that I would love to own!
Like this one, from the aftermath of WWI

germania_1000HR.jpg

Last edited:
A little bit of history
On October 7th 1915, exactly a hundred years before the date of this post, the Central Powers invaded Serbia. Earlier, during the first months of the Great War, Serbia had succeeded to push back a first attempt by the Austro-Hungarian armies to conquer the country.
It should be reminded that the war had escalated from a conflict between Austria-Hungary and Serbia, after the assassination of the Archduke Franz-Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, and his wife, by Serbian nationalists, in Sarajevo on the 28th of June 1914. One month later, on the 28th of July 1914, Austria-Hungary declared war to Serbia, and the same day, the first shells of the war fell on the Serbian capital of Belgrade.
After the defeat in 1914, the Austro-Hungarian Empire still had a score to settle with Serbia. The campaign of 1915 was carried out from two directions. From the north, Serbia was invaded by a combined force of Austro-Hungarian and German armies. One of the Austrian army commanders was General Oskar Potiorek, who had been sitting in the same car as the Archduke, when Gavrilo Princip had fired his gun on that fatal day in Sarajevo. From the east, the Bulgarian army attacked. Bulgaria had just joined the Central Powers, and had also bills to settle with Serbia, from the Balkans War two years earlier.
Against this force, the Serbian army was no match, and the country was overrun. Serbia would face harsh years of occupation, executions, food shortages and ensuing diseases. It would end the war with the highest death toll rate of both its armed forces (about one in four) and of its overall population (at least on in six) of all war faring countries.
France and Britain sent an expeditionary force to help Serbia, but it was only a small one. Furthermore, they made the strange decision not to go by the shortest way, trough Montenegro, their other ally on the Balkans, ignoring Montenegro's offer to protect allied landings on the Dalmatic coast. Instead, they choose to go through Greece. Although Greece was neutral, the pro-allied government had given permission to use the port of Saloniki for the allied landings. This was however against the will of the pro-German king of Greece. The allied landings worsened the constitutional conflict between the king and his government. As a result, the expeditionary force had to stay in Saloniki. They would not come too late, they just would not come at all to support the Serbian army.
The collapse of Serbia did not go unnoticed at the allied home front. Campaigns were rallied to support Serbia. Serbian soldiers, evacuated after the defeat of their country, paraded over the Champs-Elyzées in Paris. One of the men who engaged himself in the propaganda campaign, was the Swiss-born artist Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen (1859-1923). Steinlen was an artist, living in Montmartre, Paris, in the neighbourhood of Toulouse-Lautrec and a young Picasso, whom he influenced. His work was various : paintings, posters, drawings, lithographs,… His work was typical for the Art Nouveau period before the war. Steinlen had acquired the French nationality, and in 1914, although already over 50 years old, he had not hesitated to join the French army.
During the war, he painted the soldiers in the trenches, and the civil populations hit by the war. After the defeat of Serbia, he depicted the misery of the Serbian people and made some propaganda drawings and posters, calling for support to the Serbian cause.
Probably his most outstanding and expressive work on the Serbian defeat was a 1916 lithograph, known as ‘Crucified Serbia’. It depicts Serbia as a woman, crucified naked on a timber wall (a barn?) with bayonets through her hands and through the thighs of her spread legs.
The lithograph showed typical propaganda elements of the time. The defeated country, overrun by the ‘barbarian’ Central Powers was represented as a raped, tortured, humiliated woman (analogue to ‘the Rape of Belgium’). It appears that during the Great War, crucifixion was a very touching propaganda item against the Central Powers. Steinlen’s depiction strongly appeals to an atrocity propaganda story about a Canadian soldier allegedly having been crucified by Germans. The story of that event, dated in April 1915 near Ypres, mentions a soldier having been crucified alive, with bayonets, to a barn. However, the story has never been confirmed. Different versions exist. The soldier has never been identified, there are uncertainties about the place, and whether that place has ever been in the hands of the German army during the battle. But no doubt, Steinlen was inspired by the story.

View attachment 298094 View attachment 298095
(having found no indication that this has been posted before on CF)
(to be continued)
Fascinating, Loxuru. Cruxforum never ceases to surprise, arouse, entertain, and educate me. Thank you for posting.

As an amateur and occasional numismatist, the medal appeals to me very much, joining a very short list of female crux themed ones that I would love to own!
Like this one, from the aftermath of WWI
Thanks for posting! Interesting medal! In 1919, the odds of the war had changed. Now it is 'Crucified Germany', following the Versailles Treaty.

Thank you. I'm not just a crux lover but an aspiring WWI buff. There are so many great tragedies to come out of this period, and everything that globally went wrong with the world in the 20th century has it's roots in this time period.

It seems to be a common trope to depict defeated or persecuted nations/peoples in allegorical crucifixion:
France, 1871, after being defeated by Germany.
Courteaux1.jpg
Serbia, 1915, posted above.
Steinlen1.jpg
Italy, prior to unification.
001.jpg
Poland in the XIX century.
poland1.jpg
Poland, 1939
poland2.jpg
Ireland, c1899
ireland.jpg
Spain, during the Civil War.
spain.jpg
The Soviet Union, during their Civil War. An interesting choice for atheistic Communists.
ussr.jpg

It seems to be a common trope to depict defeated or persecuted nations/peoples in allegorical crucifixion:
And over two different centuries it is women depicted on the cross.
I thought it was a kink only now with the internet able to be expressed and discussed.
It seems the idea has always existed.
CF never ceases to amaze me with its erudite observations.

Not when a place is a woman

But the gold sun of freedom grew darkened at Ross
And is set by the Slaney's red waves
And poor Wexford stripped naked hung high on a cross
And her heart pierced by traitors and slaves
- kelly the boy from killane

The second part is a rather personal account.

Perhaps some of you noticed, that Steinlen's crucified woman is part of my avatar. Why is that?

It is, because I found the picture many years ago, when I was browsing a history book in the library. In the chapters on the First World War, on the invasion of Serbia in 1915, pictures showed the tragedy. The Bulgarian Army on the move, Serbian soldiers killed, civilians executed, a Serbian woman refugee carrying in her arms...the skull of an ancestor. And there was Steinlen's 'Crucified Serbia'. For the teen as I was, it had a double impact. A picture of a naked woman, but, because of my particular deep desires, also showing a crucified naked woman. Despite the tragedy it represented, the picture appealed to me as very erotic. It was actually my very first encounter with naked female crucifixion, and in the pre-internet era, it would be the only one for many years, until the book was removed from the racks. Around the year 2000, there was no more room for history that stopped abruptly with the safe return of Apollo 11 from the Moon.

A few years ago, internet being widely available, I wondered if I could find the picture on the net. Still being ignorant of the name of the artist, it took me some time. 'Crucified Serbia' gave no hits. Until I tried it in French : 'Serbie crucifiée'. Bull's eye! It showed up as number one!

The picture had inspired me for doing some manips. I gave her a haircut, transformed her sentence into a classic position, on a T-cross, with nails in stead of bayonets, ankles sideward nailed to the stipes, arms nailed by the wrists. The picture I obtained like that, more or less matched my imagination of the lead character of a story I was writing, a lead character that ends up, well... on a cross of course.

When I had signed in to CF, and I was asked to put an avatar, I considered a few options, but finally, I choose my manip of 'Crucified Serbia', because of my long time 'personal relationship' with that picture, as described above.

Thanks all for the likes and comments. Crucifixion as a propaganda theme is indeed an interesting niche.

It seems to be a common trope to depict defeated or persecuted nations/peoples in allegorical crucifixion
I've not seen - and wouldn't want to see - pictorial images,
but I've recently seen and heard declarations that
the Israeli Government is 'crucifying' the Palestinians.
I won't take sides in that tragic conflict,
and I certainly don't want to start ( or even allow)
a political debate here, but I find the use of such language
deeply disturbing.

I've not seen - and wouldn't want to see - pictorial images,
but I've recently seen and heard declarations that
the Israeli Government is 'crucifying' the Palestinians.
I won't take sides in that tragic conflict,
and I certainly don't want to start ( or even allow)
a political debate here, but I find the use of such language
deeply disturbing.

I have not heard about such declarations, but I agree, such things should not be discussed here. About crucifixion and propaganda, I rather had historical allegoric depictions in mind.

For those who want to see more work of Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen :
http://www.steinlen.net/main.php

The Germans used that imagery too in (and after) WWII:

Karl Potrek of Königsberg, the leader of a Volkssturm company present when the German Army took back the village, testified in a 1953 report:

“In the farmyard stood a cart, to which more naked women were nailed through their hands in a cruciform position … Near a large inn, the ‘Roter Krug’, stood a barn and to each of its two doors a naked woman was nailed through the hands, in a crucified posture…. In the dwellings we found a total of 72 women, including children, and one old man, 74, all dead…. Some babies had their heads bashed in.”
Nemmersdorf massacre

I'll tell you what I like and dislike about this illustration. First, I like the victim is crucified with her arms over the patibulum, which I consider to be one of the most painful forms of crucifixion. Secondly, she's not completely naked, which is disappointing.

Attachments

• ireland - Copy.jpg
    ireland - Copy.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 170
I'll tell you what I like and dislike about this illustration. First, I like the victim is crucified with her arms over the patibulum, which I consider to be one of the most painful forms of crucifixion. Secondly, she's not completely naked, which is disappointing.
Why do you think arms over is more painful? Which types of crucifixion do you prefer?

Why do you think arms over is more painful? Which types of crucifixion do you prefer?
Thank you for your question. I my experience, being crucified with the arms over the patibulum, with the arms tied, or nailed, behind, is the most painful. If you know of a more excruciating method, please let us know. We would love to hear about it. Normally, I liked to be crucified with my arms tied spread out in front, with my feet tied, with toes pointing downward. How about you?

Thank you for your question. I my experience, being crucified with the arms over the patibulum, with the arms tied, or nailed, behind, is the most painful. If you know of a more excruciating method, please let us know. We would love to hear about it. Normally, I liked to be crucified with my arms tied spread out in front, with my feet tied, with toes pointing downward. How about you?
I mostly do art, so my concern is what looks like it hurts.

Back
Top Bottom