Taking Chances

Go to CruxDreams.com

BEThalia

Executioner

Taking Chances: Volume Eight: Alicia's Bet​

I thought I would contribute this story here. It is BDSM, but not crux, related. Alicia is a young woman who unexpectedly finds herself involved with a private BDSM club that is preparing for its annual Medieval Faire. She recently graduated with a degree in Sociology, which included some course work in medieval Anglo-Saxon social structures. Information about crime and punishment in medieval England and the American Colonies especially interested her. Lacking a time machine, this seemed to her an excellent opportunity to make an as close as possible observation of the world of centuries ago she finds so fascinating. I hope you enjoy. Your comments are welcome. The story is of novel length and contains 41 chapters. I will post one or more chapter(s) every day or two until the story is all up.

Chapter One

We were sitting on the couches and love seats in one of the private rooms at the BDSM club, Leather & Lace. ‘We’ was most of the attendees from last Sunday’s dinner party: me, Gloria, Monica, Andrea, Viivi, Ellen, and David. Missing was Dani, but Martina and Lenny, who had not been at the dinner, were with us now. Since the dinner party, Emily and Ian had their city hall wedding on Thursday. They and Dani and all the parents had flown to Wales on Friday.

Now on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, our talk mostly centered around the simple and heartfelt wedding most of us had attended two days before, and Emily and Ian’s plans for when they arrived in Wales. The big, traditional Welsh wedding was in two weeks. Then they were going to honeymoon for three weeks, traveling around Scotland, staying at B&Bs, and taking day hikes on some of Scotland’s spectacular trails. Hell, I would marry pretty much anyone just for a honeymoon like that! It sounded heavenly.

If you have read Dani’s story of her risky bet with Ed and Mac, then we have met after a fashion. I am Alicia, one of Dani’s housemates. All four of us – including the other two housemates, Monica and Gloria – had been in Chicago for more than two weeks. Dani had finished her first year of graduate studies in the first week of May, and the three of us had finished our senior years. Dani had hung around for our graduation the second Sunday in May, the 8th. Then we had driven up here, mostly for Emily and Ian’s wedding, but also just to spend some last time all together as a quartet. Gloria was leaving. She wanted a taste of the work world before deciding on further studies. We three would be back at school in the Fall. Dani would begin her second year of grad school. I and Monica would begin our first. We had been together as housemates for three years, and we were going to miss Gloria something fierce.

Then Dani gave us the news some months ago that her big sister, Emily, was going to marry her guy, Ian, in May in Chicago. It did not take long for us to realize this could be a short reprieve. So, we explained to all our families that we were going to take a few weeks of girlfriend time. We left for Chicago together the day after graduation, Monday the 9th.

A loud brass fanfare interrupted our conversation: about fifteen seconds of a stately and warm, medieval-sounding musical flourish played by two harmonizing French horns.

“WTF?” I asked.

“That’s Lenora and Andrew,” Andrea said. She was wearing her maroon vest, indicating her status as dungeon master for the day. “They happened to discover some years ago that they both play French horn. They wrote that little fanfare together and play it every year. It’s the summons to Botany Bay for the drawing.”

And, indeed, the few people in the middle room with us were walking to the door, and in the hallway a stream of members was flowing toward the club’s rearmost room.

Hot dog! This was the moment I had looked forward to for almost a week! We were at the BDSM club, Leather and Lace, and just minutes away from the start of its annual Medieval Faire!

Chapter Two

Leather and Lace’s Medieval Faire was just one of the firsts for me during our time in Chicago. The Saturday after we arrived, the 14th, we – we four housemates, plus Emily and Ian - went to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field. My first Cubs game, even though I grew up near Chicago. The San Francisco Giants shut out the Cubs 3 to 0. Although, the game was cut short. The sky grew darker and darker all afternoon, and the rain finally came at the end of the 6th inning. After the better part of an hour, the umpires called the game. But with six full innings in the books the game was official. Ryan Vogelsong was the winning pitcher for the Giants, giving up seven hits, walking one, and striking out seven.

Chapter Three

The next day, Sunday the 15th, found us at Lenny’s excellent Italian Bistro for an early dinner. It was the four of us and Martina. Lenny was too tied down in the kitchen to join us.

“So, I’m curious,” Dani said to Martina, as we enjoyed dessert. “Emily said to be sure to ask you about the club? She said maybe you’d show us around. Said we might find it more interesting than Adler Planetarium?”

Martina smiled. “Well, I think she’s right on both counts. I’d be happy to show you around, and I think you’ll definitely find it more interesting than the planetarium. What did she tell you?”

“Not one word. I’d told her we were going out to dinner tonight with you. She just said that and to ask you, and then wouldn’t say another word.”

“Well, I guess I have to say something. Otherwise, how will you have any idea about whether you’d like to see the place. It’s called Leather and Lace. And it’s a private BDSM club.”

I felt my face heat and noticed all my housemates’ faces flush to one degree or another.

“Ellen, the lady me and Emily work for, had something of an experience early last year. I’m not going to tell you about it. It’s her story to tell if she wants.”

“Of, course,” Monica said. “Don’t tell us anyone else’s secrets.” She smiled. “But any of your own you’d care to share, we’re all ears.”

Martina smiled. “Well, let’s see how things go. But let me tell you about the club. Ellen and David found it and introduced Emily and Ian. Then I got sucked in last year on Fourth of July weekend. And I in turned sucked Lenny in. Basically, it’s a private club. People, mostly couples but also some single women, pay a pretty hefty annual membership and they can go anytime they like.”

“Single guys are out of luck?” asked Gloria.

“Pretty much,” Martina answered. “The club would probably be flooded with single guys who can’t handle an actual relationship but just want to gawk or try to hook up. It’s the way my nudist resort runs, too.” She immediately looked chagrined, and her face reddened too.

“Now it sounds like you might have some juicy secrets of your own about that,” I chirped, feeling clever.

Martina’s smile faltered and her gaze dropped to the tablecloth. The life seemed to leave her. “Yeah, I definitely have some stories I could tell about that,” she said, sounding distant. I was beginning to get the idea I had just stepped in it when she seemed to recover from whatever funk she had fallen into and was back to her chipper self. “So, the club. You know, it’s just your standard BDSM club. I guess.”

“I can’t imagine,” Gloria said.

“Well it has rooms and equipment, and people go there to play,” Martina said.

“Something along the lines of a health club, I guess,” Monica said. “We have one of those on campus.”

“Sort of,” Martina answered. “But instead of a stair stepper they have a pillory, and instead of a nautilus they have a whipping post.”

“As in…” Monica began.

“Well, you know. As in a floor to ceiling post a couple of feet thick. And someone gets attached to it by any number of different straps or cuffs or restraining whatnots. And they get whipped with any number of different devices. A single tail whip. A cat o’ nine tails. There are all kinds of possibilities.”

“And someone is bound to this thing and gets whipped by choice?” Monica asked.

“Absolutely,” Martina answered. “Nothing happens at the club that isn’t completely consensual. Different strokes for different folks.”

“Pun intended?” I asked.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Martina said. “Anyway, a lot of people just have different ways they like to play.”

“So, sign me up,” I said.

Monica smiled at me. “For the pillory or the whipping post?”

“For a tour,” I said.

“Yeah, me too,” Monica said.

Gloria raised her hand by way of assent.

Dani had not said anything since the conversation about the club had started. I assumed maybe she had gotten at least the basics from Emily at some point and was a little more informed than she had let on. Perhaps she had brought the subject up to steer our conversation to this conclusion. But I knew this would be the outcome. From the moment Martina had said BDSM club I knew we were going. I knew from the slight reddening in Dani’s face, the deeper shade of Monica’s features, and Gloria’s fair, pale face seeming to imitate a tomato ripening in mere moments. I knew they were not embarrassed by the subject but that, like me, the subject had some appeal.

I had no clear idea what the appeal might be for me, or how deep or superficial. But I was going to find out. All four of us had had at least one experience with this sort of activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you all have some secrets that might be soon revealed, I look forward to the next chapter.

Perhaps it would be nice, given they’re at a medieval faire, that they might cosplay in suitable medieval gear for a bdsm nightclub in the Middle Ages? Could be fun, right? My “costume” is ready…

Sounds like you all have some secrets that might be soon revealed, I look forward to the next chapter.

Perhaps it would be nice, given they’re at a medieval faire, that they might cosplay in suitable medieval gear for a bdsm nightclub in the Middle Ages? Could be fun, right? My “costume” is ready…
Thank you for your comments, LCS. The cosplay comes into this eventually. We all know about medieval faires, but the idea had occurred that such a faire at a BDSM club might take on a nore interesting and genuine character. This is mainly Alicia's story. This is the eighth story in the Taking Chances series with a continuing plot and characters, and some of these other characters - principally Martina, Ellen and Dani - had their stories earlier in the series. Alicia was a minor character in a previous story.

Chapter Four

If you remember Dani’s story, you will recall we had to make a video to convince Ed and Mac that Dani was involved in a swinger/BDSM club that used wagering to decide roles. We needed some footage of Dani, naked, bound tightly, and on her toes hanging from an O bolt in the ceiling, getting her ass whipped. My sweetie at the time, Dave, did the whipping with one of our belts, but he had never done anything like that before and was far too timid and hesitant. A whipping from him was not going to fool anyone, at least not without some training. So, I took my jeans and underpants down to my knees, leaned on the dining room table and had Dave whip my ass, coaching him toward harder and harder lashes. I took twenty or twenty-five before Dave was flaying my skin hard enough to make it real. The pain was immense. I had never felt anything like it. Hard, throbbing agony from my ass, hot, and sinking deep into my skin. I told him he had it and he stopped. But then I wanted more for some inexplicable reason.

I told him to give me a few more just to make sure he had it down. And when the leather flayed my ass again the pain was no different - hurt just as much, made me dread the next lash - but something new was under all the pain. I could feel the stirring of sexual arousal. I thought about the scene I was presenting. My housemates, my boyfriend, Gloria’s boyfriend, all of them seeing what they’d likely never witnessed before: a grown woman, pants at her knees, bare ass hanging out, deep red wheals adorning her skin, getting her ass lashed, and hard. The next stroke was as screamingly painful as all that had come before, but with it I felt that sexual tingling ramp up an order of magnitude. Dave hesitated, and when I did not tell him to stop, he lashed my ass again. The pain was just as terrible, but this time I had an almost uncontrollable urge to reach between my legs and put pressure on my clitoris. How good that would feel! I did not think I would come immediately, but it would not take much. I stayed my hand, though. There was no way I could play with myself without everyone in the room knowing it. I told Dave we were set, straightened, and pulled my clothes back into place.

We made our video, carefully orchestrated: I and others just at the edges of the frame, unidentifiable; Dave lashing Dani’s ass but only his leg and arm in the frame. For the purposes of the video, Dani got about ten lashes. The video was calculated to show three things: Dani trussed up very uncomfortably, that others were present, and that her ass was getting hit hard by leather. Dani knew that would not be enough though. She had to have an ass to show that was an absolute wreck. After we had gotten the house back in order and the boys had left it was time to go into Dani’s room. She took her jeans and underpants down, hiked up her top to the middle of her back and draped herself over a pile of pillows on her bed. I started in. I swung the belt hard. Dani had her face buried in a pillow. I remembered how the pain had accumulated exponentially. My couple of dozen had come in the space of a couple minutes, my wanting to get Dave trained quickly so we could proceed to the main event. I had felt how lashes applied quickly could build to mind numbing pain. I took my time with Dani and ended up whipping her ass for about five or ten minutes. I think I applied another thirty or forty, and by the time the job was done Dani’s ass truly did tell the tale of a very unpleasant and painful experience.

That night I was delirious with lust and the need for release. I was glad Dave was not there, as I would have felt embarrassed for him to see me in such raw need. I came half a dozen times that night, falling into deep, deep sleep between each orgasm before starting awake with my hands between my legs. I have never felt orgasms that deep or intense or lavish or lengthy.

I was not up until midmorning the next day. And in the days that followed I tried to sort out for myself which side of the experience had set me off in such a frenzy to find orgasm after orgasm: the getting, the giving, the combination? I never got anywhere in that exploration. I have never had those experiences again, and I think that is what is needed to sift out the answer: repeated exposure.

I thought Dave might be happy with this new hyper-sexualized me. And we proceeded happily on with our relationship. We were both on campus that summer, and we just fucked and fucked and fucked. It was great for both of us, to a degree. But as the new school year approached Dave, who was a pretty emotionally perceptive guy, began to understand that all the sex, all the lust I poured out, all the straining on my part to jam my vagina as deeply as possible on his cock had more to do with erotic energy gleaned from our experience in the Spring and less to do with him. I came to realized that Dave was a great guy, but that my scorching lust was less about him. During our grind sessions my mind was always on swinging a lash or feeling it on my ass, not on him.

Some tearful conversations ensued, in which Dave told me that such activities were not truly for him. Our relationship petered out. Truth be told, it likely would have died months sooner without my need for physical stimulation to accompany my fantasies. Such is life.

Chapter Five

That is how three days later, on Wednesday the 18th, we four ended up spending an evening with Martina wandering through the halls and alcoves of Leather & Lace, four sets of eyes staring, making the transition from incredulous to accepting, and Martina entertained by the spectacle.

“Believe me,” she said, “my reaction was the same as yours. I sorta kinda knew places like this existed, but I’d never pictured myself in one.”

“You’ve been coming here for a while?” Monica asked.

“Getting close to a year now. I’d been working for Lenny for two and half years, and we just, I don’t know, sort of finally discovered each other. We were just starting into our relationship.” The five of us were sitting around on a grouping of couches and love seats in the front private room, drinking sparkling cider.

“So, what interests you here?” I asked

Martina’s face took on a distressed look. “I, um, I guess I sort of…”

“Hey, Martina,” Monica said, “don’t tell us anything that makes you uncomfortable. It’s just that I haven’t known you long, but I’ve never seen you at a loss for words.”

“Yeah,” Gloria said. “All this interests me in some way. I’m not sure yet just how. But you shouldn’t be sharing anything you’re not comfortable sharing.”

“No,” Martina said, “it’s okay. I’ve never talked about it much except with Lenny. But it’s a part of me. I’ve become comfortable with accepting it. And, hey, Emily’s little sis and her buds. You guys are okay by me. I should be able to at least tell you a little bit, although maybe a fuller rendition of the tale might wait for another time,” she said, smiling at her eloquence. “I just had some experiences when I was growing up that sort of got me thinking about all this. You know, the dominance and submission thing. Not thinking really. Those things got me feeling about all this. But I had no idea if it was the dominance or the submission that I was attracted to. When I came here for the first time, I felt really at home. I was finally able to start sorting out those feelings.”

“How’s that coming, if you don’t mind my asking,” I said.

“I don’t mind you asking at all,” Martina said. “No, I finally got that sorted.”

“And?” Gloria asked.

“Well, let’s put it this way: you really wouldn’t want to lose a bet and find yourself with your bare butt hanging out around me with a paddle in my hands.”

“Yikes!” Monica said.

“Yikes, indeed,” added Gloria.

“That’s interesting,” I said. “Thanks for the warning. After the video thing Dani got a big helping of this sort of thing with the two date rape pieces of shit, Ed and Mac.”

“I know.” Martina said to my surprise, and especially to Dani’s. “I don’t know much, but Emily has mentioned it. Nothing more than mentioned. And I’ve seen a few pictures.” With that she let out a loud laugh. “Some really interesting pictures.”

Chapter Six

This might be a good time to give you a tour around the club - give you a sense of place and setting – since we will be spending some time here later in my story.

The club was in a building about eighty feet wide and a hundred and sixty deep. It was huge. Over twelve thousand square feet on one floor. The rearmost thirty-two feet of the building rose to an open second story. The building was quite old. From growing up around Chicago I knew it was in an area that would have once, a century ago, been on the outskirts of the city.

There was a paved parking lot in front. The front entry was offset to the left of center. Immediately inside the door to the left was a small open alcove for coats and other outerwear. Next to that was a twenty-foot by twenty-four-foot enclosed office. That room contained some lockers for storing street clothes and valuables, as well as storage space for some club-owned sex toys. There was a small stove for heating water to boil toys after use, a washer and dryer, and cleaning products.

The rest of the front of the club, back to about thirty-two feet, was an open area that, with the space of the coat area and office subtracted, was about sixty feet wide. Near the front right corner of this area was a short post set into the floor, about thirty inches high and a foot in diameter, rounded at the top, with a two-inch-wide hole that seemed to be drilled through it right down to the floor. The post had leather straps to bind a kneeling person’s wrists, arms, thighs, and ankles.

There was a twelve-foot-wide hallway offset to the right of center that led deeper into the facility. Along this hallway on the left were three open alcoves, each about forty feet deep, half the width of the building. The first was about twenty-four feet wide. This alcove contained a whipping post at the center of the area. The post went from floor to ceiling (and the ceilings were twelve feet high – another feature that dated the building as quite old) and was about two feet thick. It had numerous straps, rings, chains, and the like for binding a person in various ways.

The next recess had an opening on the hall about thirty-six feet wide. Along the back wall of this alcove was a foot-high stage, and at the front center of the stage was a pillory. Unlike the sort of pillory that might be found at a straight Medieval Faire or at Colonial Wherever, where a pillory would have huge openings that one could stick a head or hands through without difficulty, this pillory was for business. The circular cutouts were made to hold stout necks and wrists tightly, but without cutting off circulation or respiration. And there were rigid inserts that could be easily set in place to make the openings smaller for those with more petite necks and wrists. Once the top was in place and latched on the side, the person in it was held inescapably. On either side of the pillory were stocks. One on the right held feet, again firmly, in front of a bench for the victim to sit on. That stocks were made to accommodate two prisoners. There were two sets of stocks to the left of the pillory. Both trapped the ankles. One also had a horizontal pillory so the victim’s neck and wrists could also be held immobile as they sat. The other stocks had a footboard that trapped the ankles and the victim’s wrists a foot above. This arrangement left the subject bent forward in an exceedingly uncomfortable position. No instruments exactly like these would ever be found at a medieval village square or crossroad, where every pillory and stocks was weather ravaged. These were made of lustrous, gleaming wood, well maintained, with shiny hinges and other metal parts.

The last open recess was the same size as the one before it. This one contained an eight-foot-deep, twenty-four-foot-wide, one-foot-high stage on the left as a person entered. At the back of the stage was a Saint Andrew’s cross, also made of polished wood with gleaming metal attachments. The stage had various ropes and chains. These could be used to bind a person standing or in a strappado position. When not in use they were gathered to one side. In another corner of the alcove were three gibbets: small, medium, and large. These cages were just big enough to place a person in with almost no room to move.

The walls in all these alcoves were covered with every imaginable type of implement, from whips of every conceivable description, size, and length; to floggers, to cat-o’-nine-tails, to canes, to crops, to straps, to tawses, to binding instruments, and on and on. It was dazzling to my uninitiated eyes.

At the end of the hall was a wall that closed off the last room: thirty-two feet deep, the full width of the club, and two stories high. Double doors provided entry. Above the doors was a sign made of dark wood with raised lettering identifying the space inside as Botany Bay. Inside was what I got the impression was the club’s pride and joy: a huge triangle of the kind used in the Australian penal colonies to bind and suspend a criminal for whipping. The three legs of the tripod were thick, almost the width of telephone poles. Leather manacles hung from the ends of chains that went to holes about three quarters of the way up the front legs. They came down the outside and could be secured at any length.

The designation of the room as Botany Bay was really more a dramatic flourish, playing on the sinister name. When the First Fleet arrived in 1788 with transported criminals they found James Cook’s description of the area as perfect for a colony to be mistaken. For many reasons Botany Bay was unsuitable for such a purpose. They sailed ten miles up the coast to establish the colony at Port Jackson. Martina mentioned that victims were almost always suspended from the floor to receive a flogging. The instrument of choice was a cat-o’-nine with five-foot-long straps. The whips used in the Australian colonies were designed to be cruel and do significant damage to the victim: heavy leather knotted along its length and often with small lead weights at the ends. Just a few lashes caused bleeding, and most whippings ended with a heavily bloodied back that usually had chunks of flesh missing that healed into heavy scars. The cat-o’-nine in Botany Bay I’m told (and hoped to never find out through first-hand experience) hurt like hell but did no permanent damage. Unlike the Australian whips, this one had leather straps of light, soft, almost silky, leather. Still, I understood that moving at great velocity these straps would produce nothing short of agony.

Immediately outside Botany Bay on the right side of the club was another open alcove, twenty-eight feet deep and sixteen wide containing the spanking bench in the center of the area. It was a foot or so wide and about four feet long: heavily padded and with straps for binding thighs, ankles, arms, and wrists. Against the outer wall was a frame in which a person could be secured standing and bent over at the waist. Against the wall that adjoined Botany Bay was a whipping frame of the type used to administer judicial corporal punishment in Singapore and other East Asian and Oceania nations.

Next toward the front of the club was a twenty-eight-foot-long hallway ending at one of the fire exits. Off this hallway were two unisex bathrooms, twelve by twelve, with toilets, sinks, and shower stalls. This hallway had an open space at the interior end that was eight by twelve, with an elaborate backgammon table, that looked like it adapted to chess and other games. Toward the front of the club, there were three enclosed rooms. The front one of these was the one where we now sat: essentially a room to socialize and take a break from the activities. It was set up as a living room or sitting room: couches, love seats, upholstered chairs, coffee and end tables, lamps, area rugs, flat screens, coffee and tea makers, and other homey accoutrements. The middle room was essentially the same.

The rearmost of these rooms contained jail cells and cages. There was one in a corner that was sizable: about twelve feet by eight feet. That one contained a cot, toilet, and sink (and, most amazing to my shocked eyes, a naked man with a heavily welted back sitting on the cot, his head in his hands). In another corner was a tiny cell that was at most two feet on a side. Anyone placed in this cell had no option but to stand. The room also contained several cages of various sizes in which a person would have to be on hands and knees or folded up to fit.

Every square inch of floor covering was slate, and my jaw dropped when I considered the incredible expense of that flooring for a building that size. My family had done slate flooring for a couple of rooms a few years ago, and I helped my mom with research and purchasing. The club likely had to close for a couple days each year to have the floor resealed.

Chapter Seven

Dani shrugged. “The guys you saw in the pictures. They were some date rape scum. I sort of played them along into this card game that ended up with them having to do the stuff you saw to pay off their bet when they lost. Nothing much to it.”

“Don’t even believe that for a minute!” Gloria said. “The three of us were there and you can believe Dani really hung her ass out. It was a real card game. Not fixed or anything. And if she’d lost…well, can you image having to get on all fours to get it from both ends by a couple of date rapists?”

“Shit.” Martina said. “I guess hanging your ass out must run in the family. My hat is off. So, why’d you do it?”

Dani looked flustered. “I’m fucked if I know at this point. I told myself that if I won, I’d have the pictures you saw and could use them to get the boys to stop hurting women. Now, I’m not so sure. Somehow, I think I did it to find out something about myself. It’s hard to explain. My and Emily’s Aunt Roberta had a bet years ago when she was a TA working on her masters. She had a couple lab assistants who were football players and they ended up in a bet over the homecoming game. The bet was the same one I made with Ed and Mac. They would have had to do what you saw in the pictures if they’d lost. Aunt Roberta thought the bet was unlosable, but she ended up getting a really nasty surprise.”

“Emily has never mentioned that story. Okay to ask what she had to do when she lost?” Martina asked.

“I suppose. What the hell. It’s just that she’s going to be up here for Emily and Ian’s JP ceremony next week so don’t say anything. I’m sure she’d be mortified if she knew that anyone else knew.”

“I swear my lips are sealed,” Martina said.

“Hey, us too,” I said. I knew a lot about Dani’s bet, but not this part of the back story.

“That’s right,” Dani said. “I don’t think I’ve ever told you guys about this. Seems like I had to at some point, but maybe not. Anyway, not a word to Roberta. So, when she lost, she had to go over to the boys’ dorm room the day after the game. Remember, she was a twenty-five-year-old grad student at this point, a TA, and the boys’ lab supervisor. They were a couple of nineteen-year-old sophomores. Anyway, she had to strip and get on the bed, all fours, and they fucked her from both ends. Twice. They each got a turn at each end. After they were done, they threw her clothes out a fourth story window. When she got outside her clothes were gone, so she had to run back to her car completely naked with cum all over her face and leaking out of her.”

“Shit!” Martina said. “I’m twenty-five now. I’ve paid off a few bets here. But…wow…having to submit to getting fucked by a couple of teenagers is humiliating enough, but then to have no choice but to run bare ass naked in public, and everyone who gets a decent look at you knows you’ve just gotten fucked. And in a fucking dorm room! Wow!”

“But Dani’s bet, I don’t know, the three of us were kind of wondering what was really behind it all,” Monica said. “Seemed rather overly elaborate considering the stated goal. But it was a great experience to be there. I mean, it was as sweet as could be watching those two sacks of shit have to just completely humiliate themselves because they lost a bet.”

“Didn’t think I’d put anything over on you,” Dani said.

“Winning can be good,” Martina said.

“Yes?” Gloria said.

“Okay,” Martina said. “I actually like this story, so why not? When I was just at the end of high school there was this girl, Catherine. I went to Catholic school and one time she got me caned…”

“Caned?” Gloria said.

“Hey, welcome to Catholic school! A visit to Sister Glenda Cornelia was the bane of every girl’s existence. Anyway, Catherine cooked up a set of circumstances so that I’d get caught doing something wrong. I got twenty from Sister GC.”

“As in?” Gloria said.

“As in over her desk, skirt at your waist, undies at your knees, and Sister using this long fucking piece of hardwood cane to thrash your bare ass. The boys got the paddle from Father Brendan. So, at the very end of high school Catherine and I got into it and made a bet on who would do better on the American Government final. She lost. To pay it off she had to go to Schiller Woods with me…”

“Yeah, I know Schiller Woods,” I said. For Dani, Gloria, and Monica’s benefit I said, “It’s part of this long chain of wilderness areas and parks west of the city. It’s a great place to get lost.”

Martina laughed. “Yeah, well that’s what Catherine and me did with these two boys we knew. Went back in the woods. I got to tie her to a tree, and I gave her ass the twenty I got from Sister GC, thanks to her. Then I tied her with her back to another tree and she had to blow both the guys. Cool bet to win.”

“And one that would suck to lose.”

“As a matter of fact, that’s exactly right,” Martina said, laughing. “Anyway, Catherine was an asshole. But I guess making some date rape shit do a number must have been good.”

Monica said, “Yeah, I suppose so. But, uh, yeah.”

“What she means is that since we had all become familiar with the betting concept, we’ve spent the last year playing all this out at the house,” Gloria said.

“So, like, you’ve been betting with each other?” Martina asked.

I jumped in. “Maybe a time or two a month we’d get something together. Nothing heavy. And maybe all four of us would participate, or just a couple or three.”

“So, what did you bet on?” Martina asked.

“Oh, mostly games. Board games. Cards.” Monica explained.

“So, what were the stakes?” Martina asked.

“Well, like Alicia said, nothing very heavy,” Gloria said. “Like you might have to spend a couple hours naked.”

“Not too bad,” Martina said.

“No, just embarrassing as shit,” I said. “We also played sometimes that the loser of a game got a hand spanking from the three others. Buck naked, over the knee.”

“We had a couple big bets on the World Series and the Super Bowl,” Dani said. “Me and Alicia won the World Series bet. You might remember…”

“Sure,” Martina said, “Giants in five over the Rangers last fall.”

“Yeah, so Monica and Gloria had to spend a week naked.”

“You mean like out to class and grocery shopping?” Martina asked.

“No, just at the house. They could dress to go out but could only go out for classes. They could dress just before they went out the door and they stripped immediately on their return,” I explained.

A giggle escaped from Dani.

“Yeah, well be sure to tell her about the Super Bowl bet, smarty,” Gloria said.

“Okay, yeah,” Dani said. “That was the other big one. Green Bay beat Pittsburgh. But, hey, I’ll leave that one to Monica.”

“Fuck,” Monica said. To Martina she explained, “They just want me to tell it because I lost on both the World Series bet and the Super Bowl bet. Fuck you.”

“And, of course, I was on the winning end on both,” I added, smiling serenely.

“So, okay, I’ll happily tell that story,” said Gloria. “We did paddling for the Super Bowl. You may recall the Packers beat the Steelers 31 to 25?”

“I don’t really follow football at all,” Martina said.

“Well, the two losers – that would be Monica and Dani - had to get paddled. They owed the winners a smack for every point the wining team scored and two for every point they won by. I knew some girls at one of the houses and they recruited their sergeant-at-arms to do the job with a sorority paddle.”

“Shit! So, that works out to what? Thirty-one plus twelve. Forty-three whacks with one of those big ass sorority paddles?” Martina asked. “Fuck!”

“We had to go over the night after the game.” Dani said. “We had to strip in front of anyone who wanted to watch. And, believe me, all the sisters wanted a ticket to that show! The living room has this big fireplace. We had to stand back a few feet and reach forward and grab the mantle. That sticks your ass way out there.”

“We didn’t have to take them all at once,” Monica said. “But we didn’t want to go through it a second time. Fuck it hurt! It was like having your ass stuck with knives and on fire at the same time.”

Gloria and I were huddled together laughing. Hey, why hang your ass out on a bet if not to gloat when you win?

When Gloria settled down, she said, “And the girls at the sorority thought it was a total hoot to watch a senior and a grad student, both in their birthday suits, getting their bottoms baked.”

“I thought all that paddling stuff had gone by the board,” Martina said.

“Not really,” I said. “Of course, it’s officially discouraged or banned. But, by and large, it still happens, maybe less and definitely less openly than it used to. And our school is in the South, and a nod and wink about stuff like that is a lot more common there.”

“This didn’t have anything to do with pledging or hazing,” Dani said. “It was just paying off a bet. Holy shit could that woman ever swing a paddle! I was ready to tell her to stop before twenty, but I knew I’d be paying off the swats forever. So, I really wanted to get it done in one go. I just gritted my teeth and got through it.”

“I was the same way,” Monica said. “Having to get naked and offer up your bare butt in front of a few dozen sorority girls was plenty humiliating enough to not want to do a repeat performance. So, I was the same as Dani: just grit your teeth and somehow make it through. But holy god did it ever hurt!”

I was laughing. “Gloria and I were sure disappointed that they made it. Their asses were somewhere between tomato and eggplant by the time they were done.”

Monica said. “Yeah, well we’ve actually never gotten a chance to pay you back for that one.”

“So…” Martina prompted.

The four of us looked at her for several seconds then at each other. Finally, Gloria said, “So, Alicia why don’t we give Dani and Monica a chance to get butt naked and get their asses flamed, and do it in front of the good folks at Leather & Lace?”

“Gloria,” Monica began, only to be greeted by clucking sounds from me and Gloria.

They quickly concluded they would not get the better of an argument. I would be happy to watch Dani and Monica hang their asses out again. “Could not possibly be in a better setting for it,” I said.

“Okay, fuck, you’re on,” Dani said.

“Okay. So, how do we do this?” Gloria asked.

“Well, we need a game we can play pairs on,” I said.

“No sweat,” Martina said. “We have the backgammon table. Comes complete with all kinds of playing cards. Cribbage? Hearts? Pinochle? Gin Rummy? Strip Poker?”

“That last one sounds like a winner,” Monica said. “So, how do we play strip poker in pairs. And what’s the stake?”

“I’ve developed kind of a talent for this,” Martina said. “Okay. So, you play. At the end of every hand the highest hand gets four points, next highest gets three points, the next to last gets two points, and the lowest hand gets zero. Nine points total. No ties possible. Teams total their points. Whichever team is short has to take off something for every point they finish behind. It should be a quick game. First ones naked are the losers.” She shrugged. Simple.

“Works for me,” Dani said. “What’s the stake?”

“Oh, you know you’re getting your ass roasted again,” I said.

“Or you are,” Monica said. “The paddle?”

“So, how about this,” Martina said. “Ever tried a strap? The club has this Canadian prison strap. Reddens up an ass in no time and hurts like bejesus. Say the losers get twenty-five?”

“Wait. So, they use a strap on people in Canadian prisons?” Gloria asked.

“Used to,” Martina said. “When men or women were convicted of crimes, they were sentenced to prison but could also be sentenced to get whipped with a cat o’ nine tails or strapped. Like a woman might be convicted of prostitution and be sentenced to a year in prison. And she would have to get maybe three sets of twenty-four with the strap on her bare ass during that time. Or a guy might be convicted of wife beating or robbery and get time in prison and have to be whipped with the cat ten lashes, four times. They also used the whip and strap for breaking prison rules.”

“Jeez,” I said.

“Yeah. They finally did away with all that in the ‘70s.”

“The 1870s?” Gloria asked.

“Um, nope,” Martina said.

“Oh, fuck that. Make it fifty,” Monica jumped in, obviously looking to collect as big a payoff and as much revenge as possible.

“Okay by me,” I said. “Just don’t come bitching to me when your ass is a fire zone again.”

“Can you give out the strapping?” Monica asked Martina.

“Right up my alley,” Martina said. “Can’t wait. But let me see about something.” She rose and left the room. She was gone for a few minutes and returned with a tall woman wearing killer heels who looked like she would be cool under fire on Omaha Beach. “Girls, meet Deirdre. Deirdre, the girls. We were hoping you could help us out. We’ve got a bet brewing, and soon enough two of these ladies are going to need someone to work over their asses. So how about this. The losers each get fifty. I’ll give out the first twenty-five with the strap. Then Dierdre can finish up with whatever implement strikes her fancy. Can you give us a hand with that, Dee?”

Dierdre gave Martina a look which I thought conveyed that she did not like the informality. She appraised each of us. “Are you sure these kids can keep still while I work on their asses?”

“No worries,” Martina said. “They’ll be on the spanking bench, or, hey, better yet, let’s use the Singapore punishment frame. And I think we’ll add a ball gag, girls.”

“I have to be out of here in about an hour,” Deirdre said. “Is it going to take longer than that?”

“No. Definitely done inside an hour,” Martina assured her.

“Okay then,” Deirdre said. “Just let me know when I’m needed.”

“Cards at the backgammon table,” Martina informed her. With that Deirdre left the room.

“Oh, two of you girls are in for it,” Martina said, laughing. “I like to think of Deirdre as The Dark Queen of the Dommes. She is as hard as they come. She can seriously dish. But she’s more diabolical than that. I’ve never met anyone here who’s so creative at cooking up ways to humiliate people.”

“Not my ass she’s going to be blistering,” I said. Gloria made an affirmative sound.

“Well, it’s not going to be ours,” Monica said.

“So, shall we step this way?” Martina said, rising and leading the way out of the room.

Chapter Eight (Part 1)

When we reached the backgammon table farther toward the back of the club it was not in use. I tried to feel self-conscious about what I was doing: getting ready to play a stripping game that might lead to my getting my ass punished, and doing it in front of a crowd of spectators that was already gathering. I could not summon the feeling. I was worried about losing and having to pay off the rest of the bet, but somehow the situation did not feel weird. Maybe it was just the setting. I was in a BDSM club - a place where people with this predilection came to play in ways that would not interest most people. We had seen a few scenes in progress as Martina had guided us around the facility. Apparently from Martina’s reporting, members using some sort of wager to determine roles in a scene was not unusual here. Maybe I was acclimated to this by the bets we girls had made at the house. Anyway, as I sat opposite Gloria at the table, I was not troubled by the idea that I was doing something out of the ordinary. I was just occupied with not losing. And with the tingle of suspense and jeopardy I always experienced - and had come to relish - at these moments.

We liked to even up clothes so games were fair, but the four of us were pretty much all over the place.

“Maybe just play for points,” said Martina. “First team to get, let’s say, nine points wins. Other team strips and gets their asses lit up.” We did not need to be convinced to accept Martina’s wisdom in this matter.

“Seems the simpler way to do it to me,” I said.

“Fair by me,” Dani said. The others made noises that they agreed. I found a deck of playing cards in a drawer. I shuffled, offered the pack to Monica to cut. Then I was dealing cards, feeling completely at home, the adrenaline rush of betting with real stakes on the line kicking in.

Not much of a game. No active betting. Just five cards, throw away none, one, two, or three. Get some new cards. Put down your hand. Word of the game spread quickly. It was a Wednesday evening so not more than a couple dozen members were in the club, but before the draw on the first hand they were all ranged around the table, watching eagerly and explaining the bet and payoff to each other. They got themselves a great laugh when we put down our first hands. I had high hand with a pair of aces. Gloria second highest with a pair of eights. Seven points for us. Monica got next to lowest with a pair of deuces, and Dani brought up the rear with a lousy queen high. Two points for them.

Gloria and I were laughing our asses off. “That’s five for us, girls,” said Gloria, enjoying their discomfiture immensely.

“Shit, Monica,” I said.

“Shit,” Dani answered.

“Yeah, shit,” Gloria said, and she and I broke into peals of laughter.

Now it was Dani’s deal. She shuffled, I cut, then cards were in front of us. I picked mine up and was treated to the sight of absolute garbage, with nothing higher than a jack. I kept the jack and a nine and tossed the rest and ended up with nothing better than an ace high. Fortunately, Monica could only manage a king high. Gloria had high hand with two pairs, sevens and threes. Dani had a pair of fours. Six points for us, three for them.

Dani and Monica looked vexed and embarrassed. Gloria and I high fived. “Three more for us makes eight to zip,” Gloria said.

“Man, you guys are fucked,” I added.

Gloria dealt next; Dani cut. I found myself looking at a loser of a hand and got no help on the draw.

Gloria’s face was beaming as she said, “Let’s see ‘em, girls.”

Monica was first. “Don’t worry,” she said. “I’ve got this covered.” She proudly displayed three queens.

I had managed a king high. Dani showed a pair of fives. Gloria a pair of tens. And just like that they were back in the game with a six to three result. It was now eight for us, three for them.

Monica’s turn to shuffle and deal. Gloria cut.

I got a hand with a little promise. We all discarded and took our new cards. Hmmmm.

“Moment of truth ladies,” Gloria said. She often was the sparkplug in these games. I was supposed to show first but Monica jumped ahead of me, totally impressed with her second killer hand in a row. She showed a straight: eight to queen. “Okay, that’s four for us,” she chirped.

I had been dealt five cards that were all high, but no pairs: ace, king, jack, ten, nine. I had tossed all but the ace and king and gotten back another king. “Pair of kings,” I said as I laid down the hand.

Dani put down her cards: two pair: aces and queens.

“Shit! Pair of nines,” Gloria said.

Now it was Dani and Monica’s turn to celebrate. “Woohoo! Five points. Eight to eight ladies! “

Shit! A minute ago we were sitting here with not a care in the world. Now it was tied, and the next hand would decide everybody’s fate.

It was my turn to deal again. Monica cut, and I started distributing cards. I had nothing: a jack, 10, 6, 4, 2. I kept the jack and ten and tossed the other three. I got back a 3, a 4, and 7. I was looking at almost the same crappy hand I had picked up. Jack high! Dani and Gloria both drew three cards. Monica drew one.

We were screwed! Even if Gloria had the winning hand for four points, my jack high was going to be last. Monica had only drawn one card, so she certainly had two pairs. If Dani could beat my jack high that was it, we were fucked.

Moment of truth. Yes, we were fucked. Dani did not have much of a hand: an ace high. But that was enough. Gloria looked at me with an apology in her features. She put down a king high. It seemed the good hands had abandoned everyone except Monica.

But she also had a distressed look on her face. She said, “Fuck, Dani, I am so sorry.” She put down a hand consisting of a 4, 5, 6, 7, 9. She had drawn one card to fill the straight at one end or the other. Instead of the straight, she had ended up with a nine high.

I put down my jack high, and everyone was silent for a moment. It was one of those times when the ground shifts under you. All your expectations and assumptions are dashed, and you must adjust to a new reality all in a moment.

Dani’s ace high, of all hands, was best for four points. Monica’s busted straight was worth zero. And a king high for Gloria and a jack high for me gave us five points.

We were on our feet shouting in absolute, completely unexpected triumph. From Monica and Dani, we got a sustained chorus of fucks and nos.

“Time to pay up, girls,” Martina said.

Still in shock, Dani and Monica stood and started to lose their clothes, Martina collecting them. Soon enough they were handing their underpants to Martina and standing buck naked to applause and whistles from the spectators. Without a word Martina proceeded to next things. She put the clothes on one of the chairs, shuffled the cards, and evened the pack. “Low card is first,” she said.

“Fuck,” Dani said, reached out, pulled a thin stack of cards off the top and turned a four. “Good. At least I can get it over with quick.”

Monica kept any curses to herself, pulled some cards off the top and turned a two.

“Sorry Monica, you’re first,” Martina said. She took Monica’s arm and pulled her along. Someone had taken the punishment triangle out from its place near the alcove wall and placed it in the hallway. Likely several someones had done the moving. It was a frightful looking thing. A sturdy tripod of heavy wood. The two front legs angled in at a steep angle, putting the person in it leaning forward slightly, the two legs angled toward each other to meet about seven feet off the floor. The rear leg attached there and angled down in back. God, I am glad I did not lose this bet. Monica was now approaching the instrument and I would have been terrified if I had an obligation to get bound onto it and get strapped and caned.

Martina brought Monica to a stop, putting her feet at the outsides of the front legs, which were about two feet apart. She squatted to attach leather cuffs around Monica’s ankles. Martina attached leather cuffs around Monica’s wrists. She drew them up toward the top of the front legs. She attached the two cuffs together with a chain around the back of the front legs. There were several hooks at various heights at the top back over which the chain could be hooked. Martina pulled Monica’s arms up, and then up again and hooked the chain over one of these hooks. Monica had to come up on her toes, and she was stretched as far as she could go. Part of the front leg construction was horizontal padding about a foot high at hip height. This had the effect of pushing Monica’s ass way out in back, making it a prominent target. Martina took a padded belt off the wall and buckled it around Monica’s waist. Apparently, this was a standard precaution to prevent internal injuries should a stroke go awry and hit a victim in the lower back. As a final touch, Martina pushed a ball gag with holes in it past Monica’s teeth and buckled it behind her head.

Done with Monica for the moment, Martina took Dani by the upper arm and guided her into the innermost of the private rooms, the one with the jail cells and cages.

I strolled over to Monica. She was so tightly restrained that her face was framed by the legs on either side.

“Might want to practice those card-playing skills some,” I said, and laughed. Monica closed her eyes; I am sure not in shame at her card playing skills but not wanting to be the gloated at. I put my forehead on hers. “So much better you than me. I mean, I love you darlin’ but if someone’s ass is going to get smoked, I’d rather have it be yours than mine. Have fun, girlfriend.” I let a giggle escape.

Martina was back shortly. After securing Dani, Martina had detoured to one or another of the alcoves and came back with the strap she had spoken of. It looked wicked: a wooden handle, black leather about three inches wide, two feet long and a quarter of an inch thick. I was thankful Monica could not see it. But then she did.

Martina came around the frame to face Monica, holding the strap in her right hand. Monica’s eyes grew wide. “In about one minute you’re going to wish you’d learned how to play cards better,” she said.

“Why, that’s the point I was just making!” I said. Martina and I laughed at our brilliant comic improvisations.

After Martina stepped away Monica fixed her gaze down the hallway, her throat working as she swallowed again and again.

Chapter Eight (Part 2)

I do not think anything I was doing went beyond the bounds of garden variety gloating. We did a good deal of that at the house with our bets. Of course, I got to do a great deal more gloating than Dani, Monica, or Gloria. I had been on the winning side with the World Series and Super Bowl bets. And when we played games together only one of us lost and it was seldom me. Once I had to spend an evening naked. Another time I’d had to crawl over my housemates’ laps and get my tush hand spanked. Not so terrible.

I gave Monica a kiss on her forehead, moved around behind her. I stood with Martina.

“Is that padded belt really necessary?”

“Nah. Where they use these things for real the canes they use are three-quarters of an inch thick and are five feet of rigid bamboo. So, an off-target hit could cause kidney damage. But a cane like that would never be allowed here. Here the canes are a quarter inch and three or four feet. We just add the belt for the optics.”

Martina was ready to start swinging the leather. I stood back and a moment later a loud, loud crack shattered the silence. Monica did not react overtly. I looked at her ass and was shocked to see a well-defined band of pink. Martina brought the strap back again, way behind her. Then it was in sudden, rapid motion. In a fraction of a second the leather impacted Monica’s buttocks again. Where it hit the flesh flattened, and to the sides of the impact ripples radiated out. This slap had hit just above where the first had. The part of Monica’s buttocks hit a second time flushed a slightly deeper pink. Still Monica made no sound and stared at the same point in space.

The members of the audience were smiling, enjoying the entertainment. Most were also moving slowly around Monica, taking her in from all angles. I began to move with them. By the time Martina had gotten to five slaps I was again in front of her. Her eyes were wide and wet.

Martina continued the strapping as I circled Monica again. Martina was taking her time, swinging every ten or fifteen seconds, pausing deliberately to set her stance and bring the strap way back for the next swing. By the time I got around behind her Martina was delivering the eleventh slap. Monica was beginning to moan and between slaps started breathing heavily. As I came around to her front again, she got her nineteenth. She let out a screech on that one, muffled by the gag. Her eyes were closed. When they opened suddenly, they were looking around wildly, as if there might be some escape hatch from the hell she had gambled her way into. She was trying to move her feet and hands, but they were held immobile by the straps. After the next strap fell she began crying. Her eyes were overflowing and her nose running. As I walked again around to her back Martina applied the last five. Every one of them had been accompanied by a loud, sharp crack of leather on flesh. Martina was finished. Monica must have been counting as well. After the twenty-fifth her entire body posture went limp.

Dierdre was already there. The fact that the punishment phase of the bet had started could not have been missed by anyone with the ability to hear in any part of the building. She held in her hand a four-foot-long cane. She sashayed over to stand in front of Monica. I joined her to see what might happen. Monica looked at Deirdre’s face then down at the cane in her hands. That is when I saw real fear in her face as she contemplated that thin piece of wood working over her ass, already a solid, blotchy red.

Monica’s lips bunched together, and she lowered her head to gaze at the floor. Dierdre put her had around her throat and slid it upward to force Monica to face her.

Deirdre gazed at her, telegraphing her superior position and the fact that she would be master of a mightily suffering victim. “Shall we have some fun, little girl?” She asked with a smile.

Deirdre stepped to the same position Martina had occupied minutes before. I expected her to tap Monica’s bottom a few times, but she did not. The cane came back. The cane came forward. Hard. Monica emitted a loud grunt and breathed in and out forcefully several times, while a hideous line of scarlet leapt to the surface of her ass. It was a full half minute until Deirdre repeated the exercise with the same reaction from Monica, and a second scarlet line quickly formed just below the first.

I decided to look and see what had become of Dani and opened the door to the private room Martina had taken her into. I found her on all fours in one of the cages. She did not look terribly uncomfortable. The cage was maybe two feet wide, two-and-a-half high, and three-and-half long. She could move around, but certainly could not turn or change position or stretch out her legs. That would truly suck after not long at all, and she had probably been in there for fifteen or twenty minutes so far. I stuck my head in the door and smiled at her. “Be a good idea to practice your poker skills at some point,” I said. All I got was a middle finger in return for my thoughtful advice. But, hey, why make a bet that could put you in a punishment frame buck naked in front of an audience if you are not going to gloat some when you win?

Just then Monica let go a high-pitched shriek. I smiled again at Dani. “I’m sure you’re impatient for your turn. Shouldn’t be long now.”

Deirdre gave Monica her fifth cane stroke. Monica shrieked again and began to seriously pull at the ankle and wrist restraints holding her motionless. The effort was futile. She was going nowhere. Her ass was livid with tomato red crossed by dark red lines. Monica’s ass is full, and the lines transited her bottom fully with only a small break at her ass crack. But Deirdre knew her stuff. Not a bit of broken skin. But how big would those wheals get before they started healing? And I thought that sorority sergeant-at-arms knew her stuff? She was the rankest of amateurs compared to the hurt Martina and Deirdre could dish out.

I came around to Monica’s front. She knew I was there and looked up. Her eyes were wet, cheeks covered with tears, nose leaking profuse snot, and drool dripping off her chin, a look of abject misery in her red eyes, and the hair of her bangs plastered to her forehead by sweat.

“Better you than me, darlin’,” I said and patted her cheek.

Even with the gag her volleys of “Fuck you,” were understandable. They continued until Deirdre applied the sixth cane stroke. Then Monica shrieked again, loud, and full of misery. She began to cry in earnest.

Then I learned the truth of Martina’s earlier declaration that Deirdre was a master of humiliation. She came around to Monica’s face. I scooted aside to make room but stayed close so I could hear what she might say.

“Not having a fun time at all, are you, little girl?” Deirdre said. Monica was too far gone to respond in any way. Deirdre waited a minute until she seemed to begin to settle. “I’ll forgive the rest of your debt. I was asked to apply the punishment for losing your bet, so the power is mine to forgive payment. I’m willing to do that.” Monica had to know there would be some unspeakable price, but she must also know that Deirdre’s leverage was that the price would not include any more pain. A ray of hope awakened in her face. “It’s simple,” Deirdre said. “All you have to do is piss yourself in front of these good people. Let your bladder go and piss yourself and I’ll forgive the rest of the punishment.” But Monica immediately shook her head. I thought it foolish. Really, if I were in Monica’s place, experiencing the pain she was experiencing I do not know how much longer it would be until my bladder released on its own. “Have it your way,” Deirdre said. She resumed her position behind Monica.

She brought the cane back and forward again, just as hard as all the other strokes for number seven. Immediately Monica was again shrieking and crying and pulling at her restraints. But Deirdre changed it up. She did not leave the long wait until the next stroke. Instead she began to apply the same cruel strokes methodically, pausing only a second or two between each to adjust her aim. In this way she applied another six cruel strokes, the lines creating a ladder on Monica’s ass. Seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve. Monica’s gesticulations became even more animated and just as futile. She was held immovably to the frame, and the frame was so large and heavy that her movements caused not the slightest tremble in it. She had lines of scarlet marching up her ass. But I appreciated how well Deirdre knew her stuff, spreading the damage so it did not break the skin and so the pain was coming from fresh nerve endings.

Before the twelfth stroke flayed her ass, Monica was pushing against the frame. Her panicked breath was whistling through the holes in the ball gag. By the time, the twelfth stroke fell and had sunk in she was nodding her head up and down violently, and even through the gag I could tell she was shouting “Yes, yes, yes!”

“Very good, little girl,” Deirdre said. “I thought I just might be able to convince you. You have thirty seconds. Don’t forget that if you have a shy bladder you’re not even halfway to the end.”

I could somehow tell that Monica’s mental attention was shifting from her agonized ass to her vulva and bladder. Most of the spectators had grouped behind her. I stayed at the front. Monica’s eyes were closed, and a look of deep mortification had hold of her face. Then she did what she had to do to save her ass any more pain and suffering. There was a brief squirt, then a strong stream of pee shot from between her legs. Some of it shot in a stream to the floor. Much of it was dammed for a moment by the tops of her thighs and then ran down her legs. The pee poured from her for some time. Finally, Monica’s bladder was empty, and she went limp under her restraints, and her head sagged toward the floor.

“Very good, little girl,” Deirdre enthused with a laugh. “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it? I think it must have been a relief if you’ll pardon the pun.” Deirdre walked away and left it to Martina to release Monica. She came straight, then stepped back away from the frame. Martina led her off to the private room, Monica obediently following with her face in her hands.

Martina was back in a few moments leading a buck naked, but so far unmarked, Dani. Dani saw the pee all over the bottom of the frame and on the floor. Her eyes grew wide. I came to appreciate why the club’s entire floor area was impervious slate. Martina had to give her a nudge before she put her bare feet in the pool of pee. And Martina had to work from a bit of a distance in securing her ankle and wrist cuffs. But soon she was held to the frame as solidly as Monica had been.

As Herman’s Hermits put it in their smash hit, I’m Henry VIII, I Am: “Second verse same as the first!”

Chapter Eight (Part 3)

Dani’s experience was essentially the same as Monica’s, remarkably so. Martina made her contribution ending with a wide band of deep and blotchy red covering Dani’s entire ass. By that point Dani was in deep discomfort, as Monica had been. Deirdre had her little conversation before she started, about what fun they were going to have. Again Deirdre deliberately meted out the first six cane strokes, Dani demonstrating through voice and body that she was feeling the dreadful difference between the strap, which painfully stimulated a wide area of skin, and the cane which imparted sharply concentrated, immense agony to one thin line of nerve endings.

While this was going on, I stepped to the private room, opened the door, and poked my head in. I expected to find Monica in one or another of the cages, but she was not. Instead, she was standing, the only posture possible, in the tiny jail cell in the corner. The chubbiness that made Monica’s body such a lovely, sensual treat to my eyes filled the space more than my scrawny body might. I suppose she could have turned around if she wanted to, but movement beyond that was impossible. She was standing with her back propping the wall behind her. Her knees were pressed against the bars of the door which comprised the entire front side of the cell. Her bottom was held away from the wall. Her head was down. And she was crying: not the hysterics of before, but the bitter wailing of someone who has just been subjected to an extreme of physical punishment and to the devastation of being forced to humiliate herself in front of others.

I thought to withdraw and silently close the door. I am sure she had not been aware of my presence. But we all sometimes push things too far and that is one of the times I did. I experience a stab of regret every time I think of it.

I walked up to the tiny cage. She smelled strongly of urine. Monica was still crying and, I think, still not aware of my presence. “So, I’m thinking maybe you’re going to rethink the wisdom of trying to finish a straight when taking three cards and getting almost any pair might be the way to go?” She did not respond in any way, just kept up her hurt, shamed sobbing. “I’m thinking nicknames here,” I said, humor bubbling in my voice. “I’m thinking personal identifiers. I’m thinking - Rain Goddess!” Hey, I thought it was reasonably inventive. She had started noticeably when I had begun to speak, so my presence was a complete surprise. The last two words had hardly left my mouth when she looked up, her face a fierce mask of pain, humiliation, and anger and spoke through her misery. “Enough already, Alicia! Enough! You….” She let the rest die unsaid.

That just devastated me. In all her misery she at least had the class not to speak MY identifiers which at that point undoubtedly included terms like stupid, bitch, cunt, asshole.

She hung her head again and resumed her bitter sobbing.

“Hey, sorry, Monica.” How incredibly lame. Her hands were gripping the bars before her. I put my hands on hers. She jerked them away. “Just go,” she said. Not even Get the fuck out of here or Fuck off. Simply, Just go. My heart was shattered, and my shame had never known such depth.

When I returned to the scene in the hall Deirdre was just returning to her caning position, apparently just having made her offer to Dani. The cane came back and forward. Dani, like Monica, began to pull forcefully at her cuffs and straps, screaming in pain. Then Deirdre dished, cracking the cane onto Dani’s bottom for the seventh time. Like Monica at this point Dani pulled hard and futilely at her restraints and was vocalizing something between a scream and crying.

Then Deirdre began into the series of hard, rapid cuts with the cane, creating the ladder of straight lines. Dani’s bottom was different in appearance from Monica’s. Dani’s ass was much thinner than Monica’s, as was her whole frame. So, the red from Martina’s strap was deep, but was somewhat deeper at the high points of her ass, where her ass stuck out just a little more than Monica’s broader, flatter bottom. And the scarlet lines from Deirdre’s cane where distinctly in two sections. There were twelve of them now, six on each cheek, and it was easy to perceive which one on the right buttock was the continuation of which one on the left. Deirdre’s series of hard, fast cuts had the same effect on Dani. It took a little more. Monica had made to twelve. Dani got to fifteen before pushing her head away from the frame and nodding frantically. The words, “Okay! Yes! I’ll do it! I’ll do it!” were semi-recognizable through her gag.

“Get to it then,” Deirdre ordered. “If you don’t, your ass has plenty left to take.” We did not have to wait long. Her stream started by wetting the tops of her thighs. Then it settled into a strong stream of pee that shot straight down between her legs. Her thinner legs did not obstruct the stream as much, and most of it poured out in a direct stream to the floor where it splashed in the pool already there. After her stream ended some additional squirted out to the side and began to run down her legs.

“Got to run,” Deirdre said, stepping up to the Dani’s front. “You girls have been a lot of fun. Thanks. You and your girlfriend ever want to spend some time as my little subbies just come by. Anytime.” She kissed Dani on her forehead.

Dani pushed against her restraints, shaking her head to drive off Deirdre. Through her gag came something that sounded like, “Uc oo, oo uc un.”

Deirdre said, “Well, thank you for the thoughtful sentiment.” She stepped around behind Dani and swung the cane one more time on her poor backside. Hard. “That one was for insolence, little girl. Don’t give me an excuse to add any more.” She hung her cane on the wall and walked imperiously down the hall toward the exit.

Martina released Dani’s various restraints and I busied myself unbuckling her gag. Once free she stayed where she was for a few moments. She slowly pushed herself away and stood on her own. I do not think she was even aware that her bare feet were in a lake of pee.

Martina had gone off to release Monica and they were soon joining us.

“Can we please put on our clothes now?” Monica asked.

“Ah, yeah you can if you want,” Martina said. They were on the chair where Martina had placed them. “But if you want my advice I’d hold off. You guys lost so you’ve got a mess to clean up here and if you do it in clothes, they’ll just be a mess by the time you’re done. There’s a mop and bucket, towels, and disinfecting spray in the office. You can fill the bucket in the one of the bathrooms and dump it there when you’re ready to put everything back. Put the used towels in the washer, please.”

Dani and Monica saw the sense in this and shuffled naked down the hallway toward the office at the front. Watching them walk away I was impressed with what some simple punishment tools wielded by skillful hands can accomplish in a short time. Their jiggling asses stood out for being a solid, striking shade of mottled tomato red. The crossing lines from Deirdre’s cane were the shade of eggplant.

Considering, I was not surprised that both had given in. They had each taken their paddling over the Super Bowl bet, but neither had ever been caned. Looking at their asses as they walked down the hall I could imagine that I likely would have given in, too. The pain must have been so much more intense than any paddle or belt or hand could create. Taking that intense misery, knowing there was more yet to come, I think I would have taken the path Dani and Monica had.

I, Gloria, and Martina repaired to the front room, where all this had started, put some water through the coffee maker and made tea. The four of us had borrowed Emily’s car for the trip over and back. Sometime later we were sipping our brews when Dani and Monica came shuffling in holding their things. They pulled on their clothing and after a while we left.

Some of the chapters in this story are longer than some of the others, so I'm starting to have to break them up to get around the 20,000 character limit.

Hope the story is good for you so far, and I appreciate the positive responses. Of course, your comments and observations are welcome, and all will all be responded to.

I know this is a little different than many of the stories that get contributed here. Others tend to be more in the form of short stories that focus pretty narrowly on a particular event or narrative. That is fine, and I have found those stories worthwhile.

This story is in the form of a novel, and so takes in a wider range of characters and events. As a result the 'action' sequences (if you will) are not as frequent.

Throughout this Taking Chances series of stories I have worked to keep the stories centered in the real world as much as possible (and in some cases that takes a bit of doing). Many stories on these boards tend to facilitate the story by centering it in a fantasy world - fictional situations in which some jurisdiction has corporal punishment as a criminal penalty option, or in a country where corporal punishment is used but is presented in a way not found in the real world. Again, nothing wrong with that, and I have found many of those stories entertaining. But with the Taking Chances series of stories I decided at the outset to keep the stories centered in a real world recognizable to anyone familiar with a Western, first-world society, and then having the plot of the story unfold in a way that would be possible in such a real reality. This Leather & Lace club was first introduced in Taking Chances: Volume Six - Emily & Ellen's Bet, and it has been a convenient device to allow plot action to unfold in way that could not happen outside the club's doors.

A note of explanation

There are eight stories in the Taking Chances series (1 - 7 are on Smashwords). I wrote the first seven in the 2010 to 2012 period. The stories just grew organically out of the first volume, and they progressed with a continuing premise, characters that continue from one story to the next or show up again after a few stories, and continuing settings and relationships. After #7 I was sort of out of ideas and gave the whole effort a rest for a few years (much to the disappointment of numerous fans who had become quite rabid by that point). Then this idea - what might a Medieval Faire at a BDSM club look like? - came along and was suited well to the series. The club Leather & Lace had been introduced in volume 6, and Alicia was a minor character from volume 3.

The reason I explain all this is because this volume 8 was not written until 2020 and really was something of a pandemic project to fill the time that wasn't filled with other stuff. But although 8 to 10 years had elapsed in the writing, the story's action and plot are still contemporaneous with the first seven volumes. This story's action follows on from volume 7, and the wedding that is mentioned is from a relationship that started in volume 4.

So in the upcoming chapter 10 there are real world references that go back a long way. Obama in his first term. The raid that got bin Laden. In fact, the dinner party you read about in chapter 10 would have happened in May, 2011, just weeks after bin Laden's demise on May 1, 2011. I just didn't want you to be reading along and experiencing confusion about why there are all these references to stuff that is ancient history at this point.

While I'm at it I might mention that in this story and many of the others there are references to sporting events, and all of those are entirely accurate. The baseball game related in Chapter 2 really happened with the result described. The game in chapter 9 is also a real game, played on May 21, 2011, and the result and details are all accurate. You can look them up on retrosheet. (The only exception is the college football game described in volume 2)

So, happy reading.

Chapter Nine

Three days later, on Saturday the 21st, we four went with Ellen and David to US Cellular Field to see the White Sox play the Dodgers. When we got to our seats Ellen fished in her backpack and came out with a clipboard, which I thought an odd item to bring to a baseball game. She soon fitted a scoresheet under the clip and took out a mechanical pencil. She spent the game showing me how to score a baseball game, and I am completely hooked. Cannot wait to go to another game and try out my skills. In this game, the Sox prevailed 9 to 2. Mark Buehrle, who had pitched one of about two dozen perfect games in major league history just a couple years before, got the win. In this game he gave up two runs, both earned (meaning neither scored with the help of a fielding error – thanks Ellen!), seven hits, no walks, and one strike out, in seven innings pitched. Ramon Pena pitched the last two innings but did not get a save because when he entered the game the Sox were already ahead by more than three runs (thanks again, Ellen!)

Monica and Dani were sitting right in front of me. At the seventh inning stretch I said, “How the hell have you two made it this far sitting on these tiny wooden seats?”

“Go to hell,” Monica said.

“You know they sell these cushion things in the gift shop…”

“Fuck off,” Dani said.

Chapter Ten

The next day the four of us were at Ellen and David’s for an early dinner, and that is how I ended up watching a naked David sitting next to Ellen on the living room love seat, she absently stroking his blatant erection.

Perhaps you are wondering how this scene came into being.

The four of us had been staying with Emily and Ian since we drove up after graduation. I had stayed at home with my folks for a few days before joining the others. Their apartment had a second bedroom where we all slept. We could have spread out a bit and put a couple of us on the living room’s pull-out couch, but we decided to cycle between the use of the single bed one night followed by three nights in a sleeping bag on the floor. Even more crowded and uncomfortable than a dorm room, which we had all left behind years ago. Nostalgia.

We got detailed directions and took the El downtown to Ellen and David’s condo. Emily and Ian were too busy with wedding plans and had to turn down the invitation. They offered the use of their car, both for this trip and after they were gone to Wales, but we decided on this occasion that taking the El and walking was easier than driving downtown.

When we arrived, Ellen introduced us to Andrea and her partner Viivi, a striking blonde woman of Scandinavian descent. As it turned out, she was a first-generation American whose parents had come to the United States from Norway. I learned her name could be pronounced several different ways, but she preferred VIH-vee.

“I guess you get asked about the spelling all the time,” I commented.

“Sometimes,” Viivi answered.

I waited a moment for her to say more, and when she did not, I said, “So, could now be one of…”

“V-i-i-v-i,” she said.

“I never would have guessed. But the name is so beautiful.”

“Thanks. I like it. I’ve never run into anyone else in the States with it. For a while it was something of a pain.” I gave her a questioning look. “When I was in college Star Trek Voyager was the thing for a while. And there I was, a blonde, Scandinavian girl with big tits.” She gave her boobs, comparable to Jeri Ryan’s, a heft. “Some people – you know, as in guys – started calling me Seven of Six, which doesn’t even make sense.”

“I can see what you mean by a pain in the ass.”

She shrugged and smiled. “It was a quick way to weed out the assholes.”

We made chit-chat and had cocktails until Ellen called us to dinner. I had been smelling something just heavenly. When we sat, I found out what it was. In the center of the table was a platter with a huge salmon fillet still steaming from the oven and encrusted with colorful seasonings.

As she sat down, Andrea asked,” Is that…”

“The real deal?” Ellen said. “Yeah. Wild Alaska salmon. About a year ago we went to dinner at Emily’s. It’s when we met Ian. Emily made wild Alaska salmon and it was so good. It’s become my go-to for dinner parties. This is the third time I’ve served it in a year.”

Viivi said, “In Norway there are just hundreds of salmon farms along the coast. Wild caught salmon is only a small part of the market. When we visited my grandparents when I was in middle school, they served farmed one night and wild the next. I wouldn’t have believed they were the same kind of fish.”

“So, what’s the difference?” I asked.

“Well, here,” Ellen said, handing me the serving utensils. I helped myself to a portion of the filet. The firm slabs of deep red meat flaked beautifully. I took a mouthful, and I was hooked. I am not much of a fish eater, but this was the most delicious fish I had ever tasted.

“Farmed salmon just doesn’t flake like that,” Ellen said. “It’s way mushy. And the color you see is because the wild salmon live in the ocean eating crustaceans. Farmed salmon live in pens eating god only knows what. Food pellets mixed with a generous helping of fish feces probably. The color in farmed salmon is nothing but food dye.”

“Yuck!” I said.

We had all served ourselves the salmon, side dishes, and salads, and were soon occupied with all the delicious tastes and textures. Conversation ebbed as we enjoyed the meal.

When I was beginning to feel comfortably sated, I said, “Please don’t take this the wrong way, Viivi, but why would anyone from Norway want to emigrate to the United States? I mean, Norwegians have a democratic political system that is more open and transparent and functional than ours. Working people there enjoy a much higher standard of living than working people in the States. A universal health care system where not a single working family goes bankrupt over medical bills. My god! In the States, even with ACA, hundreds of thousands of working families are ruined financially by health care bills every year!”

Viivi said, “I get asked that from time to time. I completely understand the connection. My father is a partner in a company that decided to open operations in the States. I guess he and his partners went back and forth about it for a while and he ended up being chosen to go. So, he and my mother came over while she was pregnant with me. It was supposed to be a deal where the partners would rotate every five years, coming over to run operations. But they had to come up with this lavish salary and benefit package to compensate that partner for having to live in the States. Way more than the partners back in Norway got. Finally, my folks just decided they were getting paid so much that they’d stay until I was out of high school.”

“A guy could make the argument that the American system of open markets and capitalism is far better at providing a high standard of living for working people than largely socialist systems like those found in Europe,” David said.

Ellen stabbed him with a look. “Yes, I suppose he could,” she said. “And maybe down at republican party headquarters or on Fox News they would just bob their heads up and down like the docile sheep they are. But out in the real world where real people live his arguments are laughable and would go down in flames. And his wife would be seriously pissed.”

“I withdraw my case,” David said. “I was just playing devil’s advocate. Is saying that enough to keep me from getting cut off until 2012?”

“Well,” Viivi said, “I can tell you that I think Norwegians are probably smarter than Americans about some things.”

“Like?” David asked.

Viivi nodded toward the demolished fillet. “Alaska has been pumping oil since the late seventies. They have a permanent fund worth about forty or fifty billion dollars.”

“I’ve heard of that,” David said. “Everybody gets a dividend check every year.”

“Yes, but Norway has been pumping North Sea oil for about as long,” Viivi said, “and Norway’s Sovereign Wealth Fund is now above half a trillion dollars.”

“Why such a difference?” I asked

“Alaska is run by republicans who all but give away the oil. They tell Alaskans that the oil companies will go away if they try to get real money for the resources. And most Alaskans are dumb enough to believe it. Norwegians insist that the people get a good return for their resources, so that’s what they do. And really the extraction is a lot more difficult. In Alaska, it’s just standard land drilling. In Norway, it’s all from off-shore platforms.”

Everyone was silent for a few minutes. Then Ellen took the lead to change the subject. “So, are your parents still here?”

Viivi shook her head. “They went back to Norway in the year after I graduated high school. They were here for almost twenty years. Can you imagine? When they didn’t absolutely have to be? My dad is getting ready to retire in the next few years.”

“And you decided to stay? You have American citizenship?” I asked.

Viivi nodded. "It was a tough issue to sort out. But what it came down to is that this is where I grew up. It’s all I know, really. And I was born on American soil, so yes, I have dual citizenship. I’ve been to Norway for a few visits when I was younger. I’m thinking I’ll go visit my folks in the next year.”

“Speak any Norwegian?” I asked.

“God nok til å komme seg forbi i Norge. Men en nordmann vet at jeg ikke er innfødt.”

“Huh?”

“I’ve picked up a little bit,” Andrea said. “Something about ‘I could get by in Norway. Wouldn’t pass for a native,’”

“Ikke så ille, kjæresten min.”

“Yeah, not bad at all,” Andrea said. She smiled. “You should hear her when she gets really turned on.”

“Jeg er sikker på at de ikke vil høre om noe av det. Så hold kjeft.”

“I gather ‘shut up’ was in there somewhere?” I asked.

“Right at the end,” Andrea answered. We had all finished our meals, and Andrea asked, “Can I give you a hand in the kitchen, Ellen?”

“Thanks for offering, but that’s not necessary. David’s going to take care of the cleaning up. Then he’ll be serving dessert.”

“I am?” David asked.

“Yes, you are sweetie,” Ellen said.

“Pay back for my political indiscretion before?” he asked.

“Nope. I’m sure you must remember a few weeks ago when they got bin Laden?” Ellen asked.

“Yeah. Who doesn’t?” Gloria said.

“Oh, shit,” David said, looking suddenly deflated.

Ellen laughed. “Sort of a long-term bet. Back last year David and I had some opportunities to do some betting with each other.”

“Yeah. What couple doesn’t?” Andrea said, glancing at Viivi.

“Well, last fall we somehow got on the subject of would they ever get bin Laden, or would he die someday in a cave senile and drooling,” Ellen said. “And what was it you said, David?”

David looked like he had no desire to revisit the moment. “I said that if Bush didn’t get him, he’d never be caught.”

“And I had a differing point of view, did I not?”

David seemed resigned to having to play along. “You said Obama would get him.”

“I did! Well, the matter remained somewhat up in the air. But then sometime after that Martina told us about how when she was doing deliveries for the Bistro she ran into these people, Ronald and Peggy. So, this fifties guy opens the door completely naked.”

“Goodness!” Viivi said. “I gather that would have been Ronald?”

“Yep. Martina assured me the view wasn’t as bad you might think. There were a whole bunch of people there: men, women, a kind of low-key party going on. This lady, Peggy, was at the door with the guy. Seems they had a bet on whose team, the Yankees or the Red Sox, would have a better season last year.”

“Ah. Baseball, right?” Viivi asked.

“Yup. The Yankees did better, and obviously Peggy’s team was the Yankees. So anyway, Peggy got to throw a party for all their friends, and Ronald had to attend completely naked. No, wait, he got to wear a Yankees cap.”

Viivi said, “And if these Red Sox had won, she would have…”

“Sure would have,” Ellen said.

“Interesting,” Monica said. “But that’s a heck of long term bet you and David had, Ellen. I guess if Obama doesn’t get re-elected in 2012, then you would have had to pay off after he left office in 2013.”

“That’s the way it would have worked out,” Ellen said, “but if he gets re-elected next year and he ended up not getting bin Laden then I wouldn’t have lost until January 2017. On a bet made at the beginning of 2011. But all’s well. So, when Martina told us that, we got back to the bin Laden thing using Peggy and Ronald for our inspiration. Keep it low key, private. Loser has to do a social occasion naked. And…” she looked at David. “Hey, shouldn’t you be…you know.”

“Yeah, yeah,” David said. He took off his slippers and pulled his socks off and started taking off the rest of his clothes.”

“Is this okay?” Viivi asked. “You have kids, don’t you?”

“Three daughters,” Ellen answered. “They’re all at a play date until nine o’clock.”

“I guess you have to be careful.”

“Some things we just can’t get into when they’re around. The rest of the time we just rely on great care and a locked bedroom door. No system is perfect, but fortunately we’ve never had any ‘oopsies,’ even for the regular stuff.”

“Knock wood.”

“Amen. I thought about him doing this from the time you got here,” Ellen said, “but it’s so much more fun when they think you’ve forgotten all about it.” She laughed. David was now standing at the end of the table in just his boxer shorts. “If anyone has an objection, no problem. We can do this another time.” We all had smiles and made agreeable noises, so Ellen said to David, “Okay, so lose them and start clearing the table.”

David groaned but bent over and took off his last garment, tossed it on his chair, and started collecting dishes. We seven girls broke into laughter watching him, I suppose a combination of amusement and releasing tension. I had been all but silent through this. After getting over the initial surprise of what was transpiring and the nudity of a man I barely knew, I found the idea appealed to me. I had hung my ass out Wednesday night. This was fun: watching someone else, especially a guy, have to strip down to pay off a bet was an amusement I found appealed to me. And I got the benefit of watching someone pay off an embarrassing bet, and I had not even had to risk anything to get it. I checked out David’s package and then his buns as he turned to take the first load of crockery to the kitchen.

Chapter Eleven (Part 1)

We girls retired to the living room and arranged ourselves. The setting was nice. In front of a fireplace were two couches and a love seat. The couches were on either side of the fireplace, their near ends at the limits of the wide mantle and slanting inward. Set a few feet back from their far ends was a matching love seat. Ellen took the love seat, and Andrea, Viivi, and Dani sat on one couch, with Gloria, me, and Monica on the other. A unique, triangular coffee table was in the middle of it all, and end tables were placed at the far ends of both couches.

“That must have been unexpected,” Viivi said. “Martina’s encounter with that lost bet. A one-of-kind sort of thing?”

“Not really,” Ellen said. “She told us that something along those lines happened like a time or two a month on average.”

“Really!” Viivi said.

“She said most were like that. You know, pretty tame,” Ellen said. “Most often it was just having to answer the door and complete the transaction naked. But a few were kind of wild. She told us the very first time there were these three women and four guys. Two of the women – I don’t recall their names – were years-long, bitter work enemies who’d been up for the same promotion. They made a bet. The one that got passed over was there getting fucked by these four male friends of the winner.”

“Shit!” Viivi said.

“Martina’s never told me that one,” Andrea said. “I’ve seen some bets like that at the club, but never heard of any outside it.”

“You mean…. what club?” I asked.

“Leather & Lace,” Andrea answered. “You girls were just there the other night.”

“Yeah, of course, but I had no idea you knew about it.”

Ellen raised her hand. “My fault. I thought you knew Andrea was a member at the club. Matter of fact, she’s dungeon master sometimes. Sorry.”

“I wasn’t there Wednesday night,” Andrea said, “but by the end of the week everyone knew all the particulars. Great story.”

“Yeah, as long as you weren’t the one getting your ass flamed,” Monica said.

“Or pissing yourself for an audience,” I reminded her.

“FU,” Dani answered.

“I’m sorry? Pissing themselves?” Viivi asked. She looked at Dani, then Monica. “Yeah, hey, sorry, but a girl has to be curious. Right?”

“You going to tell the story or am I,” Gloria asked Monica and Dani. They were both silent. “Suit yourself. We played a strip poker game. Me and Alicia won. Dani and Monica lost. They had to get their asses roasted at the punishment frame. Two parts. First, Martina used the Canadian prison strap.”

“Yikes!” Viivi said.

“Then Deirdre followed with a cane.”

“Sorry for you guys.”

“She got their cherry red asses to put twenty-five cane stripes on,” Gloria continued.

“Holy shit!” Viivi exclaimed.

Gloria continued. “After she’d given them half a dozen or so she said she’d let them off on the rest if they pissed themselves. They both tried to hold out, but after another six or eight they both caved. I’ll leave the visual imagery to your own imaginations.”

Monica and Dani sat with their arms crossed, glowering. “You done?” Monica asked.

“I think everyone gets the picture,” Dani said.

Just then David walked in, dining room and kitchen duties apparently done, dish washer humming.

“You have some dessert for our guests, don’t you, David?” Ellen asked.

“Ah, yes,” David answered.

“And what might their choices consist of?” Ellen asked.

David looked like he was on the spot. “So, your dessert choices this evening, ladies, are apple pie, plain or ala mode with your choice of rum raisin or peach ice cream, with or without chocolate syrup; or sorbet in mango, raspberry, or lime. For your beverage, please choose from coffee, decaffeinated or caffeinated.” I could see he was struggling to remember if that covered all the dessert options.

“That’s it?” Ellen asked. “Stand there.” She got up and went toward the hallway. She was gone just a minute. David stood on his spot. His embarrassment at standing nude in front of us women was obvious.

Ellen returned with a wooden paddle in one hand, slapping it loudly against her other palm.

“Oh shit,” David said, softly.

“No one asked for your opinion,” Ellen said. “Over there,” she said, indicating the fireplace. “You know what to do.” David sheepishly stepped to the hearth. Reluctantly he turned, his feet at the front edge of the brick fireguard, leaned forward and grabbed the mantle. The distance he had to lean made his ass stick out a mile. Ellen approached and without preamble started paddling his ass with firm strokes. After a few hard slaps, Ellen started speaking, slapping his ass with each word. “My, guests, would, like, to, know, what, tea, options, they, may, choose, from.” David’s breathing had become unsteady and his ass had progressed from pale to rosy. Ellen ceased.

Wow! What a scene to witness. If you asked me a few hours ago how I would feel watching what I had just witnessed I would not have known what to say. Having been around, at least to some small degree, scenes over the past year that were somewhat out of the ordinary, I discovered I liked this just fine. I did not feel a need to feign shyness or modesty. I watched a man strip a little while ago. Of course, I have seen guys naked, but the tension of him having to strip because his wife had the power from winning a bet to make him do so. Wow! Great! What an entertaining sight! Watching that man standing and offering up his ass to a paddle. Interesting. Some reason I should not find some amusement in that? Now he turned and was facing us all, his ass pink, his cock and balls mine to ogle. Sure! Bring it on! I stared at his package, hoping he would notice my attention. I tried to put a mocking expression on my face. I hit the jackpot. I lifted my eyes from his cock and balls to his eyes. He was looking right at me, knew where I had been looking, knew that I was amused by his nakedness. Bingo! His face flushed noticeably.

None of this was a sexual response on my part. I think men and women are, speaking generally, different in that respect. A man can see a woman naked and his response has some component of sexual urge. Just the sight of a woman’s breasts or vulva – the mere visual availability of her nakedness – can spark sexual ideas. Would she have sex with me? How would it feel to caress those breasts? How would it feel to have my penis between those legs, inside that vagina? But I could look at naked David – someone I had just enjoyed an entirely ordinary dinner with – without feeling the need to wonder about having sex with him. I could view his naked cock and balls just for the entertainment of exploiting the superior position I was in. Me sitting on a couch clothed, him obliged to stand before me naked. But I had no sense of wanting or wondering about that cock, hard and in me.

David resumed his presentation. “Yes, ladies, you may order tea. We offer a selection of Earl Gray or Darjeeling black teas or Matcha green tea. Of course, any beverage comes with your choice of milk, sugar, honey, or lemon.” He fell silent.

“I can’t say I’m very impressed with your command of your own dessert menu, David,” Ellen said. David looked stricken, expecting another session leaning on the mantle. “But I think we’ve addressed that sufficiently for now.” David’s look of relief was almost comical. “Now I’ll have the raspberry sorbet and matcha tea, plain. Viivi?”

“Just a moment,” David said, “and I’ll get a piece of paper.”

“And keep my guests waiting?” Ellen said. “I don’t think so. You’re telling me you work in a classy joint like this and can’t remember a few simple dessert orders? Viivi?”

“A piece of the apple pie, please, with a small scoop of rum raisin with syrup, and decaf coffee black,” Viivi ordered.

Andrea picked right up. “Let’s see. The mango sorbet sounds good, with Darjeeling black.”

I was beginning to get into the swing of this, beginning to have fun with it. “I’m so glad you mentioned that lime sorbet. I’ll have that with some earl gray. Lemon please.”

David looked like his brain was in overdrive, desperately trying to process and remember the details of the various orders.

Gloria said, “I’ll have the lime sorbet and matcha tea with honey.”

“I’ll have the Earl Gray with lemon, the apple pie ala mode with peach and syrup. Thanks,” said Dani.

“How about just a slice of pie with Darjeeling and sugar,” said Monica.

“Very good, ladies,” David said. “So, let me be sure I’ve got this straight.”

“What? Is your hearing aid switched off?” Ellen said. “You’ve got our orders. Now go fetch them!”

“But,” David started. Ellen picked up the paddle and slapped it a couple times against her palm.

David moved smartly out of the room. When he had been gone for ten seconds, we all broke into laughter. “Good fucking luck,” Ellen said. She laid the paddle on the cushion beside her. “Don’t you wish you could bring one of these things to the restaurant to use on dud servers?” Then she turned to Monica and Dani. “Show and tell time girls.” They looked at each other.

“Meaning?” Dani said.

“Meaning stand up, turn around, and drop your drawers,” Andrea said.

The others got into the spirit of the goings on. “Let’s see how your asses are doing four days on,” I said. The others voiced supporting comments.

Dani and Monica looked at each other. I think they wanted to refuse, but given what they were in the middle of this afternoon how could they?

They each let out a “fuck” and did as they were told. They stood in front of the fireplace, right where David had taken his paddling, turned, undid their pants, dropped them, and held the backs of their tops out of the way of their asses.

I was impressed. What a couple of masterpieces Martina and Deirdre had created! The red from Martina’s strap was still as deep as I remembered. The lines from Deirdre’s cane were still dark, and distinctly swollen and puffy.

Chapter Eleven (Part 2)

“How have you girls been managing to sit?” Viivi asked. Everyone laughed and the girls remained silent. Everyone congratulated me and Gloria on having escaped Dani’s and Monica’s fates. After a couple minutes the girls put their clothes back in place and again sat.

We chatted for a few minutes, then Ellen said, “Hey can we try something?” Everyone seemed game to hear her out. “Okay if we all go topless?”

No one seemed taken aback, and with a naked David due back in the room at any time we all saw the humor in the situation. No one objected. So, Ellen turned her back and asked Dani to unzip the back of her dress. She took it off her shoulders and down to her waist, peeled off her camisole, and unhooked and shucked off her bra. The rest of us were not far behind her, taking down dresses, taking off blouses and tops, taking off bras (Dani had none to take off). Soon fourteen lovely, bare breasts adorned the room.

A moment later David returned with no dessert in sight. But he immediately noticed all the bare boobs. He tried to avert his eyes, but there were a lot of breasts to ignore.

“You have some problem?” Ellen asked.

“I’m sorry,” David said. “I just can’t remember all these orders. You must admit it would be tough for anyone. Right? Maybe you could give me your orders one by one and I could go get them one at a time?”

“No,” Ellen said. “I don’t think I have to admit that at all.” She pointed to the fireplace and David obediently took his place there, rosy ass sticking out. Ellen took her paddle and approached. She gave him her order, one word and smack at a time. “I, said, I, would, have, raspberry, sorbet, and, matcha, tea, plain, think, you, can, remember, that?”

“Yes, ma’am.” David said and headed for the kitchen. He was back presently with the requested small metal bowl of sorbet and a cup and saucer of streaming tea. He placed them on the end table nearest Ellen and then actually bowed at the waist to her. She merely pointed to the fireplace. Ellen handed the paddle to Andrea. “I think David is ready to take your dessert order.” I suppose she chose Andrea next because of her involvement with the club. Andrea, of all of us, was most acclimated to this sort of scene, and her participation was likely to get the ball rolling. She accepted the paddle without hesitation. Like Ellen, she repeated her order, one smack per word.

When David was back with Andrea’s mango sorbet and black Darjeeling, Ellen handed the paddle to Dani. And when Dani was sitting and enjoying her Earl Gray with lemon and pie with peach ice cream and syrup Ellen gave the paddle to Monica. Her strategy was impeccable. Start with Andrea, who would not think twice about a scene like this. Move to Dani and Monica with still-throbbing asses they had been obliged to show off who would be happy to dish some smacks to someone else.

Gloria was next, and the weight of participation was past its tipping point. She did not hesitate.

I was next and needed no encouragement. David’s ass by now was red as a ripe tomato. I added about a dozen. I am proud to say that by the time I was done David’s ass had started to display some blotchy red patches. And in the middle of my contribution he had started for the first time to bend his knees and lower his ass, and at one point he whimpered out a quavering, “Oh, Jesus.”

I had thought perhaps Viivi would be the most reluctant, and that’s why Ellen had saved her for last. But with the paddle in her hand she was not in the least shy or hesitant. She smacked David’s ass without hesitation. Although, truth be told, the other six of us did not swing the paddle on David’s rear nearly as hard as Ellen had. Near the end he began to whimper openly, his head hanging. When Viivi was done she sat with the paddle in her lap. David slowly turned, his hands on his buttocks. But the main feature was the change in his dick. It had been mostly flaccid all this time. Now it was engorged and well above half-mast. We exchanged looks. The accumulating pain? All that blood gathering in that part of his body? What amounted to an entire chorus line of bare breasts? Getting his ass paddled by Seven of Nine? Just a plain autonomic response? Whatever it was, David’s cock was closing in on bonerhood. He did not seem to notice.

When he returned with Viivi’s order, Ellen patted the cushion next to her. By then David had noticed his show of arousal and was trying to make it as inconspicuous as possible. He sat slowly and cautiously.

When he was seated Ellen said, “Hey, David, c’mon. It’s not like these girls have never seen a boner before.” She shooed David’s hands away. He had been using them to inconspicuously hide his erection. Ellen wrapped her right hand firmly around his erection and started subtly pumping, stopping now and then to manipulate the glans with her thumb. When she took her hand away for a moment David’s boner was at the top of the flagpole: rigid, pointing toward his chin. Ellen resumed her stroking.

And now you can consider yourself informed as to how I ended up watching Ellen sitting on a love seat with a naked David, stroking his erection.

“You know what?” Ellen said. “Where are my manners? David, you should get some of this delicious dessert to.”

I suppose David knew immediately where that might be going. “I’m fine,” he said.

Ellen’s hand left his erection and dug down below it. She came up with a big handful of testicles. David’s posture stiffened, and as Ellen’s knuckles began to whiten his breathing became labored. “Well then, let me put it this way,” Ellen said. “Go to the kitchen and get yourself a dish of raspberry sorbet and a spoon. I’m willing to be as convincing as I need to be.”

David said, “Yes, ma’am.” Ellen released her grip and David rose immediately and set off on his mission. He was back a few minutes later with a metal dish that contained a rounded scoop of scarlet sorbet. He moved toward the love seat, but Ellen shook her head and pointed to the fireplace.

“I think that sorbet would be a lot tastier with some sauce on it,” Ellen said.

David decided to play dumb. “Chocolate syrup on raspberry sorbet?”

I knew where this was going. Ellen knew. David knew. Everyone in the room knew. I expected Ellen to issue an order, but she did not. She looked at David in stony silence. The standoff lasted for maybe half a minute. Finally, David put his dish and spoon on the end of the coffee table. Looking resigned, he set his gaze on the ceiling and wrapped his right hand around his cock, still as rigid as ever. He began to slowly stroke himself.

How did I feel about this? I suppose if there was any moment in my life when I was going to jettison society’s stereotypes about women’s reactions to witnessing a scene like that then this was that moment. I could not summon one iota of phony feminine shyness, contrived daintiness, or jejune chastity about such matters. This naked man had lost a bet. As a result, he had to stand in front of me and jerk his cock until he managed to ejaculate. Obviously, his ejaculate was going on his sorbet and then he would be obliged to eat the contents of the bowl. Okay. That sounds entertaining. I mean, it was Sunday. This was going to be a lot better than Sixty Minutes. I had had a lover do the masturbatory act for my viewing pleasure once, without any erotic participation on my part. It was interesting. I learned a few ways to stimulate him that I never would have thought of on my own.

Here I could find no imperative to feign simpleminded innocence and made a conscious decision to never respond to that imperative again.

David’s degree of arousal seemed to be rising. I considered myself in his position: naked, obliged to masturbate to orgasm while others watched. I do not know that I could do it. How could I become aroused being forced to perform such a private act publicly? For David’s sake, I hoped his dick was doing his thinking for him. But I was prepared to watch, entertained, for a long as it took.

“Well, that’s just plain rude!” Ellen said. “What the hell is so interesting on the ceiling? These ladies are nice enough to sit here and watch while you indulge yourself. The least you could do is not ignore them. Make sure there isn’t a second from here on out when you don’t have eye contact with someone.”

David obeyed immediately, casting his attention to Andrea on his left. I could see his attention shift to Viivi and then Dani. He went to Ellen who lifted her right breast and ran her tongue over the large, dark areola. His gaze shifted next to Monica, then me. I locked eyes with him and reached with my right hand across my torso to idly play with my left nipple. I smiled at him and then deliberately dropped my gaze to the hand stroking his cock. When I looked next at his face his attention had shifted to Gloria.

He proceeded, looking at each of us for some seconds. After that first time around, he dropped any pretense of eye contact. His attention was fixed on our breasts for the rest of the show, advancing from Andrea’s to Viivi’s to Dani’s to Ellen’s, to Monica’s, to mine to, Gloria’s. Then he started the circuit again. Perhaps he put aside the eyes up thing, the better to use visual stimulation to get him closer to his goal. A couple more laps around the room and his breathing had become ragged, his face red, and he was plainly straining to reach his orgasm. His left hand was around the base of his cock, and he seemed to be using his pinky and ring finger to manipulate his balls. His breathing became unsteady, halting, and he moaned continuously. He was no longer stroking along the skin of his cock, instead jerking the skin back and forth over the rigid tissue underneath. He made sounds like he was beginning to cry. He lowered his knees to rest them on the end of the coffee table. With his left hand he brought the sorbet dish up. He bent his cock downward, so the opening was almost inside the bowl. Then David was over the top. He looked up briefly, but then returned his attention to his cock and the bowl, making sure his aim was true. I could tell he was beginning the ejaculatory process. His cock was spasming, but it was not until the third or fourth that a strong, full stream of cum squirted into the bowl. This was followed by several more, each accompanied by David’s whimpering. But I thought his degree of self-control to be impressive. His cock and the bowl maintained their exact relative positions as his ejaculation hit the sorbet. Then things became easier for him, the first onslaught of wild secretion settling down. Soon he was just milking out spurts of decreasing volume, and his orgasm ran its course. He allowed the last of his cum to leak out until a final blob stood on the end of his cock and he wiped it onto the rim of the bowl.

He was clearly exhausted: the paddling, now this extremity of sexual excitement and release. He remained just as he was, holding the sorbet and cum filled bowl, leaning his knees on the end of the coffee table, slowing his breathing. He looked up at Ellen finally. She did not say anything. David obediently picked up the eating utensil and began to spoon the purple and white concoction into his mouth. He seemed to gag on the first spoonful. He obviously did not relish the taste of his treat, but dutifully consumed it all. When he was done Ellen patted the other cushion of the love seat. David went to sit, bring the bowl and spoon with him.

Ellen took the bowl and looked in it. “Open,” she said. David opened. “Tongue out.” He obeyed. Ellen used two fingers to clean out the bowl and wiped them on David’s tongue. She looked down at David’s deflated cock. Another blob of cum had leaked out. Ellen wiped it off with a forefinger and put the finger in David’s mouth for him to suck clean. Ellen patted his cheek. “Good boy.”

We sat around chatting for a while, and each helped ourselves to seconds on dessert, the game done and David’s obligation to serve satisfied. After a while Ellen’s cell rang.

“Oh, hi,” she said and listened briefly. “Yeah, okay. Thanks.” She hung up. “Girls will be back in about twenty,” she reported. “Hey, maybe you want to put some clothes on,” she said to David.

“Okay by me.” He went to the dining room where he had stripped.

“I suppose we ought to stow the ta-tas,” Andrea said. When David entered the room dressed, we were hooking bras, zipping up dresses, buttoning blouses, and pulling tops over our heads.

“So, bet paid?” he asked.

“Mmmmmm,” Ellen said. “You’ve still got one more chore to perform later, but, yeah, after that I think we can call it paid.”

“You know that’s not a chore,” David said. Ellen gave him a kiss.

Chapter Twelve

We all began to stir, but also wanted to stay around to say hello to Ellen and David’s girls when they returned.

Andrea, filling time said, “You’re all going to the Faire next weekend, aren’t you?” She sounded as if an affirmative response was the only one that made any sense.

I, Dani, Gloria, and Monica looked at Ellen and David. It was plain none of us knew what she was asking. Finally, Ellen said, “Oh, no, wait. Well, I guess I saw a sign on the announcement board, but I don’t think any of us really knows anything about it.”

“You know, that’s right,” Andrea said. “I completely forgot that you two have never been to one! It’s always Memorial Day weekend. You’ve made such an impression, it’s hard to remember you’ve not been with the club forever like a lot of us have. It’s definitely the biggest event of the year.”

“So, what happens at this Faire?” I asked.

“The usual Medieval Faire kind of stuff,” Andrea answered. “More or less.”

“A Medieval Faire at a BDSM club?” Ellen said. “I never would have thought.”

Andrea said. “Hey, what could be more BDSM than the Middle Ages?”

“Makes sense to me,” Gloria said.

“Almost everybody goes, and they look forward to it, even with the lottery, or maybe because of it,” Andrea said.

“You mean like a door prize?” I asked.

Andrea and Viivi looked at each other and broke into loud laughter. It took some moments for them to settle enough so Andrea could say, giggles still bubbling to the surface, “I guess you could call it a door prize. Sorry to laugh at your question, Alicia. So rude! But I guarantee you, this is one door prize you don’t want to win.”

The rest of us looked at each other, and Andrea and Viivi again burst out with laughter.

“It kicks off on Saturday, and that’s when the main events happen. But there’s Faire stuff going on Sunday and Monday too. It’s great. Everybody really goes all out on their costumes. But the big event is Saturday when we choose our miscreant, and, of course, the drama that follows,” Andrea explained. “That’s why almost everyone shows up, despite the risk. In fact, you folks would appreciate the idea behind it. It’s basically everyone placing a bet. It’s a bet with very favorable odds: less than a one percent chance of losing, and a greater than ninety-nine percent chance of winning, or at least of not losing. But happening to hit on that less than one percent chance truly sucks.”

“So, maybe you might fill in the details?” Ellen asked.

“Okay,” Andrea said, “so the drawing.”

“Like someone’s name gets pulled out of a hat?” I just had to interrupt.

“No,” Andrea said, “nothing so simple and boring. Count on us to set up something with some real suspense to it. Everyone gets a numbered token. A matching numbered token is in a black bag. You know that Shirley Jackson story The Lottery? It’s kind of like that, except no family groups. Everyone is on their own. And, of course, no one ends up getting stoned to death. Although they almost might wish they did.”

“I have to say I’m getting more and more intrigued.” Ellen said.

“Well, everyone assembles in Botany Bay for this. There are always over a hundred people there, so this process takes about an hour. The dungeon master, who by the way is the only person excused from participation, pulls a token out of the bag. Whoever has the matching token is off the hook and leaves the room. And so it goes as the crowd gets smaller and smaller, and the people left get more and more nervous. During the drawing, certain selections determine the other players in our little drama: the magistrate, the sheriff and deputies, the witnesses. And the executioner.”

“Excuse me. Did you say ‘executioner’?” I asked.

“Don’t worry,” Andrea said. “That’s just what they used to call the person dishing out the punishment, even if the criminal in question wasn’t supposed to get hanged or burned or otherwise croaked. You know, just flogged, or put in the pillory or stocks, or put to the whipping post. The executioner was the one who took care of business. That’s the real prize, as it were. And the criminal and the executioner get picked last and at the same moment. And all along people want to be eliminated, but when they are there is a certain sense of disappointment that they’re also eliminated from being executioner, especially for the dommes. Finally, it gets down to where there are only two tokens left in the bag, and two people in the room with the DM. Then we added a twist at the end. The DM pulls out the next to last token and it’s that person, not the one with their token still in the bag, who is the ‘it’ for the rest of the day. The lawbreaker. The one who gets punished. The person whose token is still in the bag is the executioner. So, of the last two remaining one ends up at the absolute top and the other the absolute bottom.”

“Okay, so all that sounds pretty interesting,” said Ellen. “Like you said, no one back then needed BDSM clubs. The whole society was sort of one giant BDSM club, and people belonged whether they wanted to or not.”

“So, what happens to this criminal?” Gloria asked.

“Well, the unlucky person is immediately taken by the sheriff and deputies and put in the small jail cell,” Andrea said.

I recalled the tiny jail cell in which Monica had been imprisoned after Martina and Deirdre were through with her. And I recalled thinking how uncomfortable would be confinement in such a tiny space for any length of time.

“It’s not a comfortable place to be waiting, contemplating your immediate future,” Viivi said, mirroring my thoughts.

“The time limit on the small cell is four hours,” Andrea said.

“I gather people sometimes spend longer in the larger cell?” Ellen asked.

“Oh, certainly,” Andrea said. “Sometimes days.”

“Days!” I said. I seemed to be the easily shocked one in present company.

“Well, as with anything else, there are rules,” Andrea said. “A person can’t ever be in a cell or cage unless at least one other person directly involved with them is in the club. I think the longest ‘sentence’ I’ve ever heard of was about ten days. And the supervising domme must physically be on the premises. But something like that obviously requires a huge commitment on the domme or dommes who order it, because they, or one of them, always must be in the club. And, of course, the sub in question must agree to something like that. Although, that’s true anyway. Nothing happens to anyone at the club they are unwilling to undergo. And every cell has a panic button on the wall, and every cage has a wireless panic button, that the person inside can use to be let out immediately, no questions asked. I’ve never heard that one has ever been pushed except to test them.”

“Well, I’m impressed,” Ellen said. “I mean, we’ve been involved for getting on a year, and I know some folks there that are, let’s say, quite committed to the lifestyle, but I didn’t know folks took it that far.”

“Some do,” Andrea said. “And as long as it’s done according to all the safety rules then we let people pursue their own interests to whatever degree works for them. Anyway, the person chosen at the Faire, I’m afraid, doesn’t get the luxury cell. The one they get is two feet by two feet. So, when someone is locked in there it’s SRO. The same time limit applies to the gibbets in the cross room. So, the victim is hustled away and placed in the small cell, usually only for about an hour. Once the selection process is finished, the subs get to work setting up the front room for the trial. There are chairs to be set up, and this high desk for the person playing the magistrate to sit behind. There’s also a little platform, enclosed with a railing, that the victim must stand in. I’m sure you’ve seen something like it in some movie with a trial in Olde England. You know, the accused ‘standing in the dock.’ When everything is ready, the sheriff and deputies go fetch our lawbreaker and bring him or her to the courtroom and place them in the dock. Everything comes to order and the bailiff reads the charges.”

“Talk about role-playing,” I said.

Andrea laughed. “After the criminal is chosen and locked away, the DM and the others who will have active roles – magistrate, sheriff, deputies, bailiff, witnesses – get together and decide what the charges will be. Remember, anyone who wants to be at the club for the Faire is required to participate. So, the magistrate or sheriff, even the executioner, might end up being a sub. And the criminal has been a dominant on some occasions. That’s the situation that everyone really relishes, especially the subs: getting to witness one of the dommes having the very rough time.

“It’s developed into a pattern. If the criminal is a sub, either male or female, the charge will usually be public drunkenness or being drunk on the Sabbath or stealing. The subs always play the characters of common people or peasants and dress the part.

“Switches play the roles of middle-class sorts: a merchant or a merchant’s wife. And if the criminal is a switch, then the charge might be drunkenness or blaspheming or cheating a customer for a man, and drunkenness or committing adultery or maybe petty theft or fornication for a woman.

“The dominants are the high-born people. Not really royalty, because royalty wouldn’t be subject to law enforcement in some podunk village. But they would be the local aristocracy – the Baron or his wife or one of their family, and they come to the Faire in all their finery. I don’t think there is a charge the Baron himself might be tried on. So, if it’s a man he’ll usually be, maybe, the brother-in-law the Baron never liked, or his wayward disappointment of a son. And they might be charged with significant stealing or committing a grievous assault. You couldn’t charge them with adultery or wenching, since back then pretty much the only ones who got punished for sexual crimes were the women. If the criminal were a female domme then she would likely be the Baron’s wife who he doesn’t really care for and wouldn’t lift a finger to help. For her, the charge is usually adultery or harlotry.”

Gloria laughed. “You mean, like, she steals down to the village on a regular basis to turn tricks for a thrill!”

“You really have developed some dramatic narratives for this Faire,” Ellen said.

“It’s evolved into something quite interesting,” Andrea said. “I’ve never been the criminal at one of these Faires, knock wood. But almost everyone who’s been one has told me that by the time they got to the courtroom and the charges were read, they were really into their character. And by the time they went through the trial and were found guilty and then sentenced they completely identified with their character’s plight and felt they had really broken the law and were getting justified punishment.” She laughed. “The dommes can take it especially hard. I had one who months later was still telling me how completely humiliated she was that everyone knew she was a harlot!”

Ellen said, “Maybe it’s the BDSM creative mentality. People in this lifestyle seem to really have the ability to play a role.”

“You’re right,” Andrea said. “The sheriff and deputies begin to get a little rough. And the magistrate usually wants to see justice done and wrongdoers punished. And the executioner always takes his or her duties very seriously. Really, they have to. One year a switch was the executioner and went way too easy for most tastes in meting out the punishment. He heard complaints about that all year.”

“Speaking of being in the role,” I said, “don’t the subs want to be the one, you know, the criminal who gets punished? I mean, it seems like it might be right up their alley.”

“It only seems that way,” Andrea said. “Believe me, I’ve been at the club for more years than I’d care to admit, and I’ve never heard of a sub who didn’t dread being the one as much as any switch or domme would dread it. It has to do with what they’re there for. Some subs have a particular program they like to submit to, and the dommes, or dominant feeling switches, know that and will top a sub in their favorite activity. Or a sub might have a regular top who knows their predilections. But even the subs don’t want to be in a situation of having to submit to just anything they happen to be sentenced to.”

“And no one has ever backed out?” I asked.

“Never,” Andrea said. “Everyone dreads getting chosen. And whoever gets chosen always hates it. But everyone comes to the Faire under the same understanding: that the drawing will happen, and they might be the one chosen. So, they’ve made peace with that by the time they get out of their car. The Faire happens, this lottery happens at the Faire, and if they choose to attend then they agree to get what’s coming if they are chosen. If they back out at any time after the drawing starts then their membership is revoked, and they are no longer welcome. Also, club dues are due from May first to May fifteenth. Everyone has paid their membership fee for the next twelve months just before the Faire. So, it’s not like they’re only giving up the last couple months of the current year. I don’t know if it has ever made a difference with anyone selected as the lawbreaker, but it can’t hurt.”

Always one to address practicalities, I asked, “So, how is the person punished?”

“Depends entirely on the whim of the magistrate,” Andrea said. “There is always a combination of punishments. Usually the magistrate stays with parts of the club that relate to the medieval England theme. So usually the Triangle and the cross and the spanking bench are out of it. But the criminal might be sentenced to spend some hours in the pillory or the stocks. They might be put in a gibbet. They might be whipped at the whipping post. They might be bound upright and be whipped like they’re under a crossbeam. They might be whipped at a cart’s tail.”

“Never heard of that one,” Monica said.

“It was a punishment that goes back further than most,” Andrea said. “A person would have their wrists tied together. Then one end of a rope was tied to their bound wrists and the other tied to the back of a cart. Then the cart would be pulled slowly while the criminal had to shuffle along behind it and the executioner followed whipping them. Usually this went on for some length of time or some specific distance. The victim might have to be pulled around while being whipped for an hour, or for the time it took for the cart to go from the village square to some point, maybe the village limit, and back. Whipping at the cart tail became less common as villages became more developed and had an established whipping post and pillory and stocks. And generally, men and women were whipped at the cart tail nude.”

“You don’t bring a horse and cart into the club, surely,” I said.

“No,” Andrea said, laughing. “We always have a couple of willing steeds, that is subs, to do the pulling. But, like I said, the punishment the magistrate sentences the victim to is usually multi-part with some of it being corporal punishment and some public humiliation, just like it really was in the medieval world.”

“I gather the victim has to get naked?” I asked.

“It’s interesting. If you read historical records of these court proceedings, and the magistrate sentenced the criminal to be flogged they’re always first ‘stripped to the waist.’ Men and women. Or just as often ‘stripped naked.’ Over the centuries the nudity generally became less, just as eventually floggings were taken out of public view and into prisons, before being done away with entirely. But that part of it is, again, entirely up to the magistrate. But when it comes to nudity the magistrates do tend to lean in the direction of more rather than less.”

Ellen put her hand over her mouth and started laughing. “Oh, my God! Can you imagine?”

“What?” Viivi asked.

“Deirdre!” Ellen said. “In the pillory? At the whipping post with someone bringing up the color in her back?”

Andrea said, “I suppose I might as well tell you. I just know how disappointed you’ll be.”

“What?” Ellen asked.

“Forget Deirdre,” Andrea said. “I said almost everyone attends, and she’s part of the almost. For some of the more fanatical dommes losing the lottery would be just too far to go. So, they stay home and offer very mealy-mouthed excuses. Believe me, most of us have longed to witness that scenario, but I don’t think it’s ever going to happen.”

“Rats,” Ellen said.

“But it’s a good time anyway,” Andrea said. “I hope you won’t miss it. It’s supposed to be only for members but, Dani, you and your friends are welcome to attend as my guests, if you’d like.”

“This really sounds interesting, but I’ll have to try it out next year. Emily and Ian are getting married at city hall on Thursday and then I’m going to Wales with them on Friday for the big wedding there.” Dani said.

“Right,” Andrea said. “I knew that. Duh.”

“So, are you going to risk it this year?” Gloria asked Andrea.

“I have every single year for the past, um, eleven years I guess it is now. This year is no different,” she answered.

Then Ellen went to answer the door and the girls were piling in. We all stayed for another half an hour to meet them, talk about their day, and get to know them. Then me, Dani, Monica, and Gloria headed off to the El to return to Emily and Ian’s.

Chapter Thirteen

Would I like? It did not take much thought to realize just how much I wanted to be there. I just finished a degree in Sociology with a minor in Social Services. And along the way I had taken several classes that had touched on the social organization of older cultures. One in particular – Social Structures in Anglo Society of the Middle Ages – had sparked a lot of interest in me. Learning about the society from which American civilization had emerged had a great attraction. A significant part of the class had involved the criminal justice system of the time: floggings, pillories, and the evolution of the use of those punishments, and the victimization of women by the legal system in assessing blame for sexual crimes.

So, yes, this appealed to me very much. Imagine being able to witness something like this! The opportunity to see first-hand the best approximation of medieval justice one was likely to find in the twenty-first century. I could not let that opportunity pass me by. Every time I thought about the event, though, the meditation ended inevitably at: What if I end up being chosen?

It was one thing to have the opportunity to witness all this: to observe as a sociologist a criminal subjected to medieval justice and watch how a crowd in a faux-medieval setting would react and behave. It was quite another to be the center of all that pain and humiliation. But like everyone else planning to attend, I quelled my fears with the thought: It’s only a less than one percent chance of turning out badly, so don’t let such an unlikely event keep you from experiencing and observing this!

Chapter Fourteen

The sounds of that appealing horn call faded. As our group walked down the hall toward the back of the club, the double doors to Botany Bay were wide open. Everyone streamed easily through and spread out around the room’s periphery. I was feeling elegant. Monday evening, we had gone out – me, Gloria, Monica, Ellen, David, and Martina - to one of Chicago’s several well-stocked costume outlets. We searched through their medieval wares and each put something together we felt comfortable with. Ellen and David went with merchant class dress. Martina also put together merchant class outfits for herself and Lenny, who had to work that night if he wanted to take Saturday off. Monica and Gloria decided to go with a peasant look.

I treated myself for a day of the lux life, medieval style, as a high born muckity-muck. I assembled the outfit of an aristocratic woman. I decided to dress for the part from the skin and dispense with twenty-first century underwear. I started with a long-sleeved chemise next to my skin. It was made of silk, since I was an aristocrat, and had gathers at the neck and wrists, and pleats for a closer fit at the waist. Over this I wore an over-gown of taffeta. Medieval women and men often wore several layers beyond these innermost garments, but I decided to just wear a linen bliaut in sky blue. I had noticed during our visit that the club tended to keep the thermostat on the high side. Consideration for those naked and near naked scene participants. So, I knew I did not want lots of layers. The bliaut was an all-covering garment – shoulders to feet. Mine had a moderately low, keyhole neckline, embroidered with gold and silver. Usually the over-gown, and sometimes the chemise, was visible at the neck. The garment was gathered at the waist by a long, thin leather belt that gathered in a loop in the front, the length trailing down to knee level and ending with silver tags. The swell of the hips was accommodated by embroidered slits at both sides that were gathered to whatever degree was necessary by leather ties through embroidered eyelets. The sleeves were closely fitted to the elbow but flared below so that when my hands were at my sides the top edges ended just below my elbows and the lower edges hung to my knees. The ends of the sleeves and the hem were embroidered with marten fur. My shoes were made of light leather, with a heel. They came up to my ankle. Just above where my toes ended there was a wide opening held together by leather lacing that left an inch wide gap through which my hose was visible: tan wool that was held up at my knees with ties. My hair was hopeless. As a young unmarried woman, I would have been expected to wander in public with my head uncovered, my hair worn loose and flowing. An unmarried woman’s loose hair was considered her most important display of attractiveness and availability. (Although, as an unmarried woman of twenty-six at that time in northern Europe I would have been reaching the boundary at which I would either marry soon or slip into lifelong spinsterhood, to be greatly pitied). The loose hair was fine, but I doubt many British medieval gentlewomen went wandering about the town with foot-long dreadlocks.

I, Gloria, and Monica had arrived at the club with Ellen and David in their silver Grand Caravan. We were too late for a spot in the small parking lot at the club and so had to use a parking structure a few blocks over. It was some fun sashaying down the street as a lady of the realm. We had met Andrea, Viivi, Martina, and Lenny at the club. Andrea was wearing her maroon vest and name tag. She was serving as dungeon master for the day. Now all nine of us congregated at one of the Triangle’s hefty legs.

Martina looked around. “I miss Emily, Ian, and Dani,” she said. Emily and Ian had their city hall marriage ceremony two days before. Gloria, Monica, and I had not been expecting to attend, but Emily and Ian insisted, so on Wednesday we had gone out shopping again to find some clothes presentable enough for a JP wedding.

“Yeah, me too. They left for Wales yesterday,” Ellen said.

Soon Andrea strode to the middle of the room. “Could I have everyone’s attention please?” The buzz of conversation quieted. “Good. Thank you. Well, here we all are again. Even Michael is back after his experience last year.” Everyone applauded lightly, and a 30-something man in the dress of a medieval peasant, indicating he normally assumed the role of a subordinate at the club, bowed theatrically. “Well, Michael. You know what they say: lightening never strikes twice. Or, for your sake, I hope not,” she said to surprisingly robust laughter. “Or perhaps you’d like it to?” The laughter kicked up a notch as Michael held out his arms and shook his open hands in a ‘no way’ gesture. I felt a bit reassured. These folks played hard, but the vibe seemed good natured, at least after the fact. “Okay. Well, as we do most years, we have a few guests with us, and a few new members who have joined since our last Faire, so let me review the rules.

“As you know, participation in this event is mandatory if you are here. Anyone is welcome to enjoy the first hour of the Faire and then leave. But if you draw a token then you are committed, and you agree to be our lawbreaker and be punished as such if chosen by merciless Fate. When you take your token, you are accepting the terms of the lottery and giving your consent to what happens if you lose. Of course, should you lose you can always refuse to honor your commitment and leave. No one will stop you. Nothing happens to anyone here unless they consent, even if that consent is reluctantly given. If you take a token and you leave after the drawing begins or are chosen as miscreant and refuse to abide by your commitment, then you will be asked to resign your membership, without refund of current membership fees. If you refuse to resign, then you will be informed that you are no longer a member, are unwelcome here, and our door will be closed to you.”

I could not imagine anyone showing up for the first hour of the Faire and then leaving when the drawing happened. Deirdre, and the few others Andrea had mentioned, did not attend. They simply stayed home.

Andrea indicated a long folding table beside her, under the front legs of the triangle, its surface covered in a black material that looked like felt. “There are one hundred and thirteen of us here today. Well, one hundred and thirteen of you. As you know, the dungeon master for the day is excluded, and we DMs determine who that person will be by a random drawing the morning of the Faire. In over six years of DM service this is the first time I have been so honored or let off the hook, however you choose to look at the issue. On the table are one hundred and thirteen pairs of tokens. Each pair has the same number. In a moment you will all chose one of the token pairs, keep one and deposit its mate in the bag. It is first come, first served, and thank you for being so civil about the process each year.” At one end of the table sat a velvet bag. “Then the drawing will begin. I will draw a token from the bag and read aloud the number on the token. If you have the matching token you come forward, surrender it, and then leave the room. On the placard,” an off-white, eight-by-eleven piece of cardboard was propped up on an easel at the rear middle of the table, “are listed the numbers in the sequence of drawing that will fill in the rest of the roles for today’s drama.”

Later, when I drew my token, I saw the placard indicated a selection every tenth choice for supporting roles. The persons selected with the tenth, twentieth, thirtieth, fortieth, and fiftieth drawings would be witnesses at the trial. The sequence continued with the choosing of two deputies, a sheriff, a bailiff, a magistrate. Listed as “next to last” was The Lawbreaker, and “last” was The Executioner.

“Participation in any of these supporting roles is voluntary. If you chose not to serve then just say so, and that role will be offered to the next person selected. The only, ahem, honor that cannot be declined is being chosen for the role of our lawbreaker. The drawing will continue, with people being eliminated and leaving, until only two people are left in the room with me and only two tokens are left in the bag. The next token drawn will indicate the person selected as lawbreaker, and the one whose token is still in the bag will be the executioner. To give you the math, as we do each year, with one hundred and thirteen participants you have a” – she consulted the clipboard in her hand – “point-eight-eight-five percent chance of being unlucky enough to be our criminal. And you have a ninety-nine-point-one-one-five percent chance of escaping that fate. Both values are rounded slightly.

“The person selected by Fate as lawbreaker will be taken into custody immediately by the sheriff and deputies and confined until we are set up for the trial. Then we will have the judicial proceeding and follow with the sentence imposed by the magistrate being carried out. Of course, that assumes our lawbreaker is found guilty!” That comment elicited a loud round of laughter. “Any questions?”

There were none. “So, you may proceed to select your token,” Andrea said, sweeping a hand in the direction of the table.

Chapter Fifteen (Part1)

Many people moved toward the table quickly, seemingly intent on claiming a lucky number. Having no numeral-based superstitions, I hung back until the initial crush seemed to be past. When I approached the table, I saw perhaps half of the token pairs remaining. Each token was metallic, about two-and-a-half inches in diameter, a size that fit nicely into the palm of a hand, with a large red numeral in a vaguely celtic-looking typeface, and a lacquered finish. I closed my eyes, waved my hand over the table for some seconds, let it drop, and latched onto the token it landed on. I picked the disc up, opened my eyes, and saw a red 53 looking back at me, and thought, please be part of the ninety-nine-point-one-one-five percent. I picked up the matching token and deposited it in the velvet bag.

Soon our little group was back together, each of us clutching a token we hoped would not be the dud. After a few more minutes everyone had a token. Andrea stepped to the table and picked up the velvet bag.

Andrea asked, “Would someone please give the bag a good shake?” A man in the costume of an aristocrat stepped forward, took the bag, and shook it briskly while turning it upside down and back several times. Andrea took the bag back and placed it into a framework I had not noticed before. The frame held the bag suspended, the bottom a few inches off the surface of the table and holding the bag open by several inches at the top.

Andrea said, “Okay. Let’s start.” Not looking at the bag she thrust her hand in, swished it around, the tokens audibly shifting, and came out with a token. She looked at it, and said, slowly, enunciating each syllable, “Fifty. Four.”

My heart almost burst out of my chest when I heard the ‘fifty.’ Warmth rushed into my face, and I felt jittery, as disappointment washed over me. “Fuck,” I said.

“What” asked Ellen. I showed her and the others my number 53 token.

“Nuts,” said Lenny.

“Hey, close but no guitar,” Martina said. “Not to worry. Remember, ninety-nine-point-whatever.”

A fortyish woman dressed as a peasant came forward, handed her disc to Andrea who laid the two tokens, one atop the other, on the table. Andrea proceeded and two selections later announced token number 29. A woman dressed as an aristocrat and elegant in demeanor stepped forward and handed in her token. As she headed for the door Martina said to me, “That’s Claudia. Real class act. I met her the first night I was here. She’s a domme and so is Deirdre, but they couldn’t be more different. Claudia has taught me so much about the club and this lifestyle. She has a fulltime D/s relationship with a woman named Maggie.” She indicated a woman dressed as a peasant nearby.

After six more selections Andrea had a row of nine tokens.

“This is now the tenth selection,” Andrea announced. “The person selected now will be asked to be a witness at the trial.” She plunged her hand into the bag and came out with a token. “Seven. Teen.”

A man in his forties, dressed as an aristocrat, the one who had shaken the bag, came forward and handed Andrea his coin. “Do you agree to play the part of one of the witnesses at the trial?” Andrea asked.

“Fuckin’ A,” the man answered.

“Thank you,” Andrea said. She consulted her clipboard. “The name of your character is Theobald Asquith.” The man made his way to the door and followed the previous nine selectees into the hallway. Meanwhile, Andrea made a note on her clipboard.

The drawing proceeded. Ten selections later Andrea chose 101 and a woman in peasant garb came forward. She was about my age. She accepted her role as second witness and Andrea assigned her the name Daisy Cartwright.

Two selections later Andrea called for 83 to step forward. A mid-30s woman with plain features, sleepy eyes, and dressed as a peasant came forward.

Martina shouted, “Woo-hoo! Go, Gretch!”

“You know her? I mean, better than most of the others here?” I asked.

“Yeah. Gretchen was my teacher at college. Creative Writing last Fall and Novel Writing this Spring.”

“You’ve…are you saying you’ve written a novel? Good god!”

“Hey, I’ve got the chops for it.”

“I have not one shred of doubt you do. But a novel? How many people try to do that and never manage it. What an accomplishment. What’s it about?”

“I’ll give you the file so you can read it if you’re interested.”

“Yeah, I’m definitely interested!”

“Remember what I was talking about at dinner at the Bistro?”

“About things that happened when you were an adolescent? Yeah.”

“So, it’s about a lot of that. Actually, I wrote it for the Creative Writing class last Fall. I started writing and it just took off. I guess the story just wanted out. So, Gretchen was impressed.”

“I hope so.”

“She let me just submit it for the Novel Writing class. It was so far beyond the requirements for the Creative Writing.”

“So, you didn’t meet Gretchen here?”

“No. It’s funny. I’ll let you read about it in the book. But I started the class and writing the book a few weeks after I joined here. And I was writing about this place in some of the parts of the book. Gretchen got curious and showed up one night, just out of the blue.”

“I guess she liked it?”

“She’s found a place. Not surprised she dressed as a peasant. She tends to dress peasant chic in her regular life. But these days she’s started to do some switching.”

“Switching?”

“Goes sub sometimes and domme at other times accord to her mood, or how a bet with someone turns out. She seems mostly sub, but she’s been getting into topping others occasionally.”

“I’ll have to ask her about how she got involved here if I get a chance.”

“Well, maybe prompt her a little. See what she wants to share. Don’t ask her directly about that first night she showed up. That was pretty rough for her. She had an encounter with Deirdre that didn’t go quite how she hoped it would.”

“Shit. I’ve seen what that can be like.”

“You can read about it in my book, if you want.”

“Yes. I’d like to very much. What’s the title of the book?”

Martina shrugged. “Martina’s Bet. It seemed to fit.”

As we had been talking, Andrea had been continuing to pull tokens from the bag. Now Andrea announced the thirtieth selection and a peasant-clad man in his 20s holding token number 103 was picked. He was dubbed Robin Tyler and designated witness three.

The drawing progressed and soon Andrea announced 13. David said, “Me, me, me. Catch you all later.” He turned in his token to Andrea. On his way to the door he said to Ellen. “Hey, get your number picked and get out of here, okay, love. Wouldn’t want you in a situation you might find embarrassing or anything. I hope.” Ellen kicked his shin, David laughed, waved, and left.

A few selections later Andrea announced the fortieth selection and that the person chosen would be asked to serve as the fourth witness. She pulled out a token and read 79 from the disc. A woman dressed as a merchant and in her 30s came forward. She agreed to serve as a witness and Andrea informed her that her name would be Cecily Tavernor.

With the next selection Andrea drew number 71 out of the bag. “That’s me,” Lenny said. He surrendered his token and was gone. After eight more tokens were selected Andrea announced, “The next selection is the fiftieth, and the person chosen will be asked to be our fifth and final witness.” She reached in, swished the tokens, pulled one out and announced, “Three.” A peasant-clad woman of around forty came forward, declared her intent to participate, and was dubbed Amise Rolfe.

The next nine tokens were selected without anyone in our little group being eliminated. With selection number sixty Andrea announced. “This person will be asked to be one of our deputies.” Andrea read from the token she had pulled. “Seventy. Three.”

“Hot dog!” Martina said. “Right up my alley!” She gave her token to Andrea, who told her no names were assigned beyond the witnesses. Every other player was simply referred to by their roles. “Okay by me,” Martina said. “See ya.”

Three picks later Andrea announced token number 2. The woman Martina had identified to me as Claudia’s partner, Maggie, clad as a peasant, turned in her token and left without comment.

“Shit,” Ellen muttered to me. “We’re too far past halfway for my comfort. I was hoping to be out of here before now.”

She did not have much longer to wait. A few picks later Andrea announce the choosing of the second deputy with the seventieth pick. Andrea read the number off the token she’d pulled, 23, and Ellen gave a little squeak of excitement and said, “That’s me, peeps. Bye-bye.”

There was another run of nine tokens during which none of our cohort – now consisting of just me, Monica, Gloria, and Viivi – were called. Finally, Andrea announced, “The next selection is the eightieth, and the person selected will be asked to be our sheriff.” She pulled a token from the bag and announced “Eleven.”

A young woman came forward. Young. She was certainly no older than Monica or Gloria. And she was no more than five feet tall, with striking red hair in a long and layered style. As she came forward, Andrea asked, “Are you willing to serve as our sheriff?”

“Yeah, no problem,” she replied. “Happy to help tear into some GenX ass.” She handed over her token and headed for the door.

Monica, Gloria, Viivi, and I spent another ten selections standing around becoming more uncomfortable.

Andrea announced, “The ninetieth choice will act as our bailiff.” She brought a token out of the bag and read out, “Forty. Eight.”

Chapter Fifteen (part 2)

A more mature gentleman – oh, okay, he was some old guy, likely well into his fifties also dressed as a peasant - walked up to Andrea. “Hey, Andrea, sorry, but I think I’ll take a pass on this if it’s okay.”

“Your choice, Bill,” Andrea answered. He surrendered his token and was soon gone. “Bill has chosen to decline the role of bailiff, which he has a right to do. Therefore, the next person selected will be asked to assume that role. That person may also accept or decline as they like.” She reached into the bag and pulled a token. “One. Hundred. Thirteen.”

A man of my age, mid-20s, came forward, maybe six foot and of a thin build. Looked like he worked out. Dressed as a merchant. He accepted the role and went on his way.

I thought about the older guy who had declined. How would a guy as old as that do with the tribulations of this day if he were selected as victim? I didn’t know exactly what was in store – actually, no one did beyond broad outlines since there was no set punishment for the magistrate to sentence the criminal to – but it would have to be awfully tough on someone that old. But then I considered that in the era we were simulating, someone caught committing a crime at eighty would be punished just the same as a fifteen-year-old. And if they died from the punishment, that was just their tough luck. Of course, the club could not be quite so cavalier about life and death as the medieval criminal justice system.

Now Andrea was saying, “We’ve reached the one hundredth selection. The person now selected will be asked to be the magistrate at the trial.” She again reached into the bag and came out with a token. “Ninety. Seven.” A young woman – just as young as the sheriff - straightened and walked up to Andrea. She had jet black hair in a bad ass fohawk, the sides shaved and the dark hair with a purple tint. She was dressed as an aristocrat, so she was most likely a domme. I pitied the lawbreaker who ended up being sentenced to punishment by a practiced dominant. Of course, the point was not lost on me that the room was getting pretty darned empty, and that lawbreaker could be me. Yikes!

“That was the last selection for players in today’s story, other than the lawbreaker and the executioner. There are thirteen of you left, so you all have a one-in-thirteen chance of ending up in either of those roles.”

I looked around. Of us thirteen there were six women – four peasants, a merchant, and me, an aristocrat. Seven men remained – five peasants and two merchants.

“So, time to press on,” Andrea said. The next two numbers eliminated two of the men, both dressed as peasants. Andrea then announced, “Thirty. One.” Viivi jumped, tossed her token to Andrea, and headed for the door. The next three selections eliminated a merchant man, a peasant man, and a peasant woman.

Now four women and three men remained, and with the next selection the gender slate was evened. Andrea announced number 59, and Gloria was gone. Then the guys went on a roll. The next three selections were a merchant man, then the two remaining peasant men. After the last of them had left the room Andrea said, “Don’t you just fucking hate it?”

That left three women standing around with Andrea: myself, an aristocrat; Monica, a peasant; and a blonde woman who looked to be in her mid-30s dressed as a merchant. I am sure I looked as scared as they did.

When Andrea’s hand next emerged from the bag she did not say anything, just showed the three of us a token with the number 66. The merchant woman exhaled loudly, laughed, and clapped her hands. She gave her token to Andrea and walked to the door and out.

Andrea walked to the door and stuck her head out. We heard her ask in a raised voice, “Would the sheriff and two deputies please step into the room?” In a moment, the two deputies, Martina and Ellen, were walking through the door with the so young, short redhead.

We stood about in a loose group. My stomach felt like I was in a rowboat going over twenty-foot swells. I was academically curious about having this experience to observe something that was otherwise unobservable without a time machine. But I truly only wanted to observe. Now I was guaranteed to be in the middle of the event, either as the lawbreaker being punished or the executioner handing out the punishment. I really did not want to be either, but I especially did not want to find myself the recipient of medieval corporal punishment. But I thought of Monica. Six days ago, at the dinner party, her ass was still a punished mess. Certainly, it was not entirely healed by now. And if I were the executioner, did I really want to mete out what would likely be some tough punishments to Monica? After her lost bets at the house all year, and her experience here at the club the week before, and especially my thoughtless, over-the-top gloating, did I really want to be in that position over her?

Monica must have read my mind. “I love you Alicia. Truly, dear, I do. But considering what my ass still looks like after that bet with you, you better pray that your number doesn’t come out of that bag first.”

Reflexively I said, “I love you too, but, hey, you lost. And wasn’t it you who suggested fifty that night?” Her stony look informed me that it was the wrong tack to take. Should have kept my yap shut.

“Let me review an important rule,” Andrea said. “Up until now the person holding the token that comes out of the bag has been excused. For this last drawing the person holding the token matching the one that comes out of the bag next is selected to play the character of the lawbreaker who will be confined, tried, sentenced, and punished. The one of you holding the mate of the token that remains in the bag will be the one who will be the executioner who carries out whatever punishment the magistrate decrees. Do you both understand that?” We both nodded, and Andrea said, “I need you both to state verbally, with the sheriff and deputies as witnesses, that you understand this rule and will abide by it.”

I had thought Monica’s hard-boiled silence had meant she was weathering the tension of the situation fine, but I saw now that was not the case. She was holding her hands together in front of her and her fingers were trembling. She answered first and started out with nothing more than a croak. She cleared her throat and said, her voice quaking, “I understand that if the token matching mine is the next one to come out of the bag that I am the character of the criminal, and I will honor that obligation.”

“Very good,” Andrea said.

All eyes turned to me. I became aware that my hands were quaking as obviously as hers, and when I tried to speak my voice came out as a squeak with not even the resemblance of any words in it. I also had to clear my throat before saying, “I agree to act as the character of the criminal if the next token out of the bag matches mine.”

“Very good,” Andrea said. With that she reached into the bag. Her hand in a fist emerged a second later. She opened her hand as she turned her palm up. The token was upside down. With a neat flick of her wrist the token went a few inches into the air and landed on its other side. My insides turned to water as I saw the red 53. Monica jumped and squealed, then squatted, laughing, with her hands over her mouth. She looked exactly like someone on The Price is Right who had nailed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the laundry detergent and won the Ford Taurus.

I handed my token to Andrea. She compared them, showed them to the Ellen, Martina, and the sheriff, then put them side by side on the table. She got Monica’s attention after a few seconds of effort. “I need to see your token.”

Monica looked confused for a moment, then she smiled and said, “Oh yeah. Yeah, of course.” She handed her token to Andrea and clapped her hands again. Andrea held the token with one hand. With the other she took the bag off its frame, held it by its bottom, and shook it. The last token fell onto the table. Andrea held the two tokens side by side, displayed the double sixty-ones. She put the paired tokens on the table side-by-side next to my double fifty-threes. Then she picked up the bag and turned it inside out.

“I declare the lottery concluded, all tokens accounted for, and the results to be final. Sheriff, deputies,” Andrea said looking in turn at each of them. “Take our lawbreaker into custody and confine her until she is called to trial.”

Martina’s hand was immediately on my upper left arm, tight. Ellen stepped up and had my upper right arm in the same uncompromising grip. They turned me and, the young sheriff leading the way, we headed for the door. We were moving rapidly. My feet tried to keep up, but that was unnecessary. Martina and Ellen had my feet all but off the ground, propelling me without any effort on my part. The sheriff threw the double doors open. Every other person in the club was on the other side, and they quickly parted to let us through. We went through a tunnel of people, all interested in learning the identity of the criminal. The words Perp Walk went through my head. Immediately, we were at the door to the first enclosed room on the left of the hall. The sheriff opened the door and stepped inside. The three of us had to turn sideways, Ellen leading the way, to enter the room. I again saw the large jail cell on the left and flashed on a wish to be deposited there. But we were obviously headed to the twenty-four-inch square cell in the other corner. The sheriff went to a board in the center of the back wall with labeled keys on pegs. She found the correct key, unlocked the door – the door was held closed by a short chain held together by a key-operated padlock. She held the door open and the two deputies pushed me in. As I turned around the sheriff was just clicking the hasp of the lock into the body.

The sheriff, Ellen, and Martina turned and walked out of the room. The door slammed shut. But here was Monica. I had not realized she had come along. She must have brough up the rear. She laughed coldly. “I’m thinking nicknames here. I’m thinking personal identifiers. Oh, to hell with that. You’re just plain fucked. Girlfriend.” She turned on her heels and left. The room was silent except for a low murmur from the hundred-plus people in the hallway.

I thought about a movie I had once seen: Criminal. John C. Reilly played the titular character: a Los Angeleno who survived by pulling nickel-and-dime cons. He was working with a new partner and the current con was not going so hot. The new partner said, “Man, we’re fucked!” His more experienced tutor gave him the benefit of his years of experience. “Hey, fucked is when you’re face down on the sidewalk in handcuffs.”

Or when you are an aristocratic lady locked in a two-foot by two-foot cell inside a BDSM club and about to be tried, convicted, and punished. Especially when that punishment will be administered by the housemate whose loss and punished ass you were thoughtlessly and cruelly gloating over the week before.

Back
Top Bottom