The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
No, the web site says the following: "Eric is the top name in New Hampshire, Howard takes the top spot in North Dakota, and Jason is the winner in Maine. And not every name belongs to a man: Theresa tops the list in Vermont, and Melissa claims No. 1 in Delaware." http://www.protection1.com/criminal-names/

The map shows the same.

I'm disappointed in your reading lapse, Eul. Come see me after class:devil:
Yes I deleted that within seconds of posting, you're too sharp for your own safety! :p

came across this whilst reading random news stuff and thought some folks might find it interesting: http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/New_evidence_that_all_stars_are_born_in_pairs_999.html
It seems there is quite a lot of evidence that stars may be born as non-identical twins
Always interesting how much can be found out about things happening so far away in space and time...

Anyway since we've had some sci-fi themed stories lately, a little riddle for those who find such things interesting...

'The slightly older Class I binary stars were closer together, many separated by about 200 AU'

Let's imagine our solar system did have, from the beginning, a companion star at 200 AU, and didn't lose it.
What might it 'feel like' (everyday life, naked eye perception) assuming the companion star has a mass of one tenth the sun's, or equal to the sun, or one third more than the sun?

Always interesting how much can be found out about things happening so far away in space and time...

Anyway since we've had some sci-fi themed stories lately, a little riddle for those who find such things interesting...

'The slightly older Class I binary stars were closer together, many separated by about 200 AU'

Let's imagine our solar system did have, from the beginning, a companion star at 200 AU, and didn't lose it.
What might it 'feel like' (everyday life, naked eye perception) assuming the companion star has a mass of one tenth the sun's, or equal to the sun, or one third more than the sun?

Haruki Murakami wrote a novel, "1Q84" in which the Earth had two moons and it really did a number on everyone...

Well visually I am not sure we would see that much more than a particular bright star with the naked eye. However once we had more powerful telescopes we might well have a far more interesting place for alien invaders to come from as it is entirely possible our nearest neighbour might have a system of its very own.

Well visually I am not sure we would see that much more than a particular bright star with the naked eye. However once we had more powerful telescopes we might well have a far more interesting place for alien invaders to come from as it is entirely possible our nearest neighbour might have a system of its very own.
Well after reading the article you linked I looked up some background on star's lifecycles and such, to make sure I understand a little of what's in there.
So I came up with that... here's what I think the results might be ... all very back of the envelope... (I love making up fantasy worlds :oops:)

#1 - one tenth the sun's mass at 200 AU, a red dwarf star. On Earth its light will appear 100 times less than the full moon, but still 15 times brighter than Venus - absolutely dominating the night sky apart from the moon. Its angry red glow will be visible at daytime too. Certainly ancient cultures would ascribe all sorts of powers to it. It takes 200 years for the star's position in the sky to move through one of the constellations of the zodiac so it might be used for grand prophecies pertaining to eras. But during the experience of one human being it will rise and set with whatever constellation it's in. Astronomers will realize early on it's different from the other planets, that move so much faster, but it's also not a 'fixed star.' As astronomy improves telescopes will reveal it to be a disc of light, and probably the notion that all the other stars are actually distant suns in their own right will be accepted quite readily. Equipment comparable to what we have today might indeed uncover planets, and sending a spacecraft there would certainly be a goal...

#2 - equal mass to the sun, on Earth it gives the light of ten full moons, and when up at night, that would not be night anymore. The twilight would be enough for travel and work outside to be possible even without artificial illumination, that would surely influence lifestyles and culture. It is so far outside any comparison with other stars that it would probably be considered a category of its own, we'd have the Sun, the Moon, and the Nem ;) Up at day it would still be inconsequential next to the sun (1/40000) but surely irritating to look at directly. Being much better illuminated, any planets around it would be much easier to detect by telescope. We'd certainly want to go there once we had space travel.
Anyway who says we wouldn't be the space invaders?

#3 - just one third more mass than the sun -- oops, the astronomy pages tell me, we wouldn't see anything, as we wouldn't be around...

Well after reading the article you linked I looked up some background on star's lifecycles and such, to make sure I understand a little of what's in there.
So I came up with that... here's what I think the results might be ... all very back of the envelope... (I love making up fantasy worlds :oops:)

#1 - one tenth the sun's mass at 200 AU, a red dwarf star. On Earth its light will appear 100 times less than the full moon, but still 15 times brighter than Venus - absolutely dominating the night sky apart from the moon. Its angry red glow will be visible at daytime too. Certainly ancient cultures would ascribe all sorts of powers to it. It takes 200 years for the star's position in the sky to move through one of the constellations of the zodiac so it might be used for grand prophecies pertaining to eras. But during the experience of one human being it will rise and set with whatever constellation it's in. Astronomers will realize early on it's different from the other planets, that move so much faster, but it's also not a 'fixed star.' As astronomy improves telescopes will reveal it to be a disc of light, and probably the notion that all the other stars are actually distant suns in their own right will be accepted quite readily. Equipment comparable to what we have today might indeed uncover planets, and sending a spacecraft there would certainly be a goal...

#2 - equal mass to the sun, on Earth it gives the light of ten full moons, and when up at night, that would not be night anymore. The twilight would be enough for travel and work outside to be possible even without artificial illumination, that would surely influence lifestyles and culture. It is so far outside any comparison with other stars that it would probably be considered a category of its own, we'd have the Sun, the Moon, and the Nem ;) Up at day it would still be inconsequential next to the sun (1/40000) but surely irritating to look at directly. Being much better illuminated, any planets around it would be much easier to detect by telescope. We'd certainly want to go there once we had space travel.
Anyway who says we wouldn't be the space invaders?

#3 - just one third more mass than the sun -- oops, the astronomy pages tell me, we wouldn't see anything, as we wouldn't be around...
Would its mass be enough to affect tides at that distance?

Would its mass be enough to affect tides at that distance?
No, not at all ... tidal effect is caused by the difference in the gravitational attraction from another body, across the diameter of the Earth.
The diameter of Earth is more than 3% of the distance to the Moon and so the effect of its gravity changes noticeably across that dimension ... that differential causes the tidal force...
Earth's dimension is completely irrelevant measured against a distance that's way beyond Pluto...

No, not at all ... tidal effect is caused by the difference in the gravitational attraction from another body, across the diameter of the Earth.
The diameter of Earth is more than 3% of the distance to the Moon and so the effect of its gravity changes noticeably across that dimension ... that differential causes the tidal force...
Earth's dimension is completely irrelevant measured against a distance that's way beyond Pluto...

OK, fair enough, but the presence of such a large mass, even at a distance of 200 AU, could affect where Earth orbits relative to sun to the extent that life would not have evolved on Earth or would have evolved quite differently.

OK, fair enough, but the presence of such a large mass, even at a distance of 200 AU, could affect where Earth orbits relative to sun to the extent that life would not have evolved on Earth or would have evolved quite differently.

Well as far as I understand it you have to hope the Earth gets lucky, as a binary companion would play hob with the Kuiper Belt objects and scatter them all over the place, so we might scan the skies a bit more anxiously. Of course if most people knew what was up there in terms of Apollo objects they would be a mite more nervous. There is a reason Sol's twin is nicknamed Nemesis.

I don't know if anyone is keeping track of criminal names in the US. With a more ethnically diverse population than the UK, I'm sure it would be a very different list.
The Social Security Administration does put out a list of most popular baby names each year. For 2016:
Male
1. Noah
2. Liam
3. William
4. Mason
5. James
6. Benjamin
7. Jacob
8. Michael
9. Elijah
10. Ethan
Female
1. Emma
2. Olivia
3. Ava
4. Sophia
5. Isabella
6.Mia
7. Charlotte
8. Abigale
9. Emily
10. Harper

Edit: the system isn't formatted to create two columns.

3 - 8 - 5 William Michael James and his three sisters, 7 Charlotte, 8 Abigale, and 9 Emily. A perfect family with a fiendish secret. Yet the secret was simply the tip of the iceberg as when the local constable showed up, he found little Abigale sitting naked upon William's torso, covered head to toe in blood. William's head, arms and legs having been torn off and placed at the points of a 5 sided star. The constable took much restraint with his stomach as he looked up into the rafters and saw both Charlotte and Emily crucified upside down, their heads having been removed and skillfully balanced upon their pussies, the girls faces frozen with the look of absolute orgasmic lust.

Little Abigale didn't flinch when a medical woman approached from the van that had just drove up just behind the constable. Abigale simply licked her fingers and smiled....

"Abigale?" The lady asked quietly with her hand outstretched as one might do to get a dog to come to her, "Will you come with me?"

The young girl gave the lady a strange look, glanced around and said most succinctly as a young girl could, "My name is not Abigale. It's Sophia the Great. Bow, or die!"

... The fire at the old James farm left the country in quite the unease and mystery. Constable Howard and Nurse Mia vanished that night and the body of little Abigale was never found.

Back
Top Bottom