The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Not just a Scot, a Galloway Scot, his home and his grave are close to where I am.
Visitors come from all over the world, and - when they manage to find it at all -
are astonished how modest it is. Compare Isaac Newton in Westminster Abbey!

View attachment 704112
I cant read the headstone writing.

I cant read the headstone writing.
It's not easy to find a good photo - this one's better:

1558033213189.png

It's the family grave ('lair' is the Scots term) of his parents and his widow as well as James himself.
As you see, it's well cared-for now, but (in line with austere Presbyterian practice) says nothing
of his achievements, just name and dates, on a plain marble stone.

It's not easy to find a good photo - this one's better:

View attachment 707289

It's the family grave ('lair' is the Scots term) of his parents and his widow as well as James himself.
As you see, it's well cared-for now, but (in line with austere Presbyterian practice) says nothing
of his achievements, just name and dates, on a plain marble stone.
Fine scottish understatement (or typical economizing).

I've shifted the exchange about James Clerk Maxwell over here as he was neither bare-naked nor a lady, :p

Doesn't seem too heavily forested, but I guess there is a park that is.
It's 'forest' in the medieval sense, rough hunting country, but it all belongs to the Forestry Commission Scotland,
and there are huge, dense, dark plantations of conifers - but a lot of open moorland, mixed woodland etc. too,
and the plantations are being clear-felled pretty intensively now, because of larch die-back.

Tuesday night the St. Louis Blues won their division and will play for hockey's Stanley Cup. The last time they played for the cup was in 1970. Tree was in eighth grade! On January 2, 2019 the Blues had the worst record in the NHL, had fired their head coach and started playing a rookie goaltender.

Impossible dreams happen...

Tuesday night the St. Louis Blues won their division and will play for hockey's Stanley Cup. The last time they played for the cup was in 1970. Tree was in eighth grade! On January 2, 2019 the Blues had the worst record in the NHL, had fired their head coach and started playing a rookie goaltender.

Impossible dreams happen...
And the Blues and Flyers (my team) only started in 1967.

Years before we got a hockey table game with rotating sliding men. With the 6 classic teams, one of whom will face the Blues.

And the Blues and Flyers (my team) only started in 1967.

Years before we got a hockey table game with rotating sliding men. With the 6 classic teams, one of whom will face the Blues.
The six classic teams:
Boston Bruins
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers

What if they "turn over a new leaf" and go to the finals against the "Dead Wings?"
Pigs fly?
Flying_pig_hell_freezing.jpg

For those who love obscure political/historical arcana:
jOh_UDewC9-6HmtcRi41wh_jEjiZc2ZWfKvO0JtVd4M.jpg
2011 Polish Parliamentary election superimposed on borders of German empire pre-1914
Orange is pro Euro, Blue is Eurosceptic. Make of it what you will.
An interesting aside is that the populations of these regions shifted significantly post-1945

The six classic teams:
Boston Bruins
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
This used to be a much-loved Canadian sport, dominated by teams from Canada. Then teams started to move out of small markets in Canada. LA got a team. The "Phoenix Roadrunners" played for a while: now there is a team called the "Arizona Coyotes". Maybe the can freeze the Mississippi near New Orleans. We have the "Florida Panthers". Apparently the NHL would try to freeze hell over to make a buck. Money triumphs tradition, nostalgia, and common sense--and of course fan loyalty--every time. Canadians almost have to winter in Florida to watch NHL teams play.

Back
Top Bottom