The Georgia Peach - A Story of the American Civil War

Go to CruxDreams.com
Chapter 5 – White Orchard Plantation, Around Midday, May 11th 1864

“Uncle Billy?” Catherine looked up from her seat on the edge of her bed from where she had been staring out of the window and over the fields.

Sherman closed the doors quietly behind his entry and moved towards where his Goddaughter sat.

“Catherine, everything will be fine, trust me, but …”

It was upon hearing that word that the girl’s eyes widened and a little fear seemed to infuse her demeanour.

“… ‘but’, Uncle Billy?”

The General nodded. “I have an army to feed. White Orchard is the last major source of food and supplies before we reach Resaca where we will no doubt …”

He stopped himself from unwittingly revealing any aspect of his campaign to the beguiling girl.

“I cannot make a total exception Catherine …”

Her face dropped and a mix of fear and anger immediately manifested upon her expression.

“… My army needs to eat and to do so it simply must forage from the land. It is the way I have ordered it to be. And so, my dear, dear girl, I must let my men do as they have been ordered. But …”

This time the ‘but’ was designed to be conciliatory, however by the time the General had confirmed his intention to break from normal practice and issue a receipt for everything that they took, against which she could personally claim directly via him at some future date, Catherine had stopped listening.

She had already leapt up from the bed and was out through the door before Sherman could do anything to stop her. With a huge sigh the general turned and followed her out, and within a matter of a short few seconds he could hear the commotion.

“Let her go private,” he issued the order with a quiet calmness designed to diffuse the situation.

Private Dolan held Catherine in a tight grip from behind, his hands brushing the underside of her ample breasts.

“But General she is a wild one for sure.”

“Let her go … please.” Sherman was still attempting to appease his Goddaughter, yet as soon as she felt her confinement released, Catherine ran to the cabinet at the side of the hallway and in short order she had a musket pointed at the soldiers, her Godfather included.

“Is that loaded Catherine?” The General asked, still using calm tones.

“Always. I never know when a malicious General and his evil army will come by now, do I?”

Her words cut Sherman to the quick. She was including him in her casting of the type.

“Please Catherine, put it down. Your father …”

“Don’t you dare bring my father into this Uncle Billy. He would be disgusted at what you are proposing to do …”

Speaking as she was had clearly distracted the girl’s emotional focus and in a blurred moment Lieutenant Sampson had the musket taken from her grip, and Catherine had been pushed against the wooden panelling with her arm twisted up her back.

“Get off me you brute! Owwwww … ouch! Stop!”

“There is no need for excessive force Lieutenant,” but even as Sherman spoke these words, he could see that his Goddaughter was not to be reasoned with.

“Get out!” Sampson’s attention had been diverted to the house slave who had wandered into the scene.

“Please Mary, just leave us. I’ll be fine.” Catherine added a more kindly tone to the words just spoken.

“Yessum, if Mistress Catherine is sure, but …”

“Leave us, please Mary,” The General’s words carried sufficient by way of gravitas and so Mary turned to leave. But the momentary distraction had given Catherine the respite to drag her lithe body free of the officer’s grip and she once again made a grab for the Musket.

“Catherine, stop this at once!” The General’s patience was wearing thin with his Goddaughter. “My men and I have a job to do, and we will do it with all consideration towards your well-being, but do it we must. Lieutenant take Miss McCown back to her bedchamber, deposit her inside and have your guard re-established at her door.”

Catherine’s face was a picture of anger and confusion.

Sampson smiled and nodded his agreement. “To confine her is the right decision General, but I must declare that there is mighty fine, but also mighty considerable, foraging work to be done hereabouts. And with us only being eight men, including myself and Sergeant Oak, having two of them occupied by standing guard outside a young girl’s room, is … shall we say, not necessarily best use of their deployment.”

Sherman shook his head and sighed. With a heavy heart and great reluctance, he addressed his junior officer.

“It pains me greatly to believe you are correct Lieutenant. Take her upstairs to her chambers and secure her to the bed. Tie her wrists, but not over tightly, and then leave her. Do not molest her in any way, do you hear me?”

“Yes Sir. Loud and clear General. Private Dolan, come with me.”

“No … no, Uncle Billy you cannot do this to me, I won’t let you. Please …”

Sherman turned away. He couldn’t bear to watch his Goddaughter being treated like this … but he had an army to feed and discipline to maintain.

As Sampson ordered her upstairs, he could not ignore the feelings that were now being discharged from inside his stomach. ‘Tie her to the bed’ was the order he had been given … The Lieutenant would make sure that it was the most literal execution of a directive that he had ever undertaken!

To Be Continued ...

Footnote - Today's picture shows Catherine looking angry as she is ordered back upstairs to her room. As mentioned in yesterday's footnote, Bummers were by definition disreputable types, who, in many ways operated outside the discipline laws of the Army. So it is with criminal glee that Sampson and his men set about their new task to confine Sherman's Goddaughter to her bed.

Attachments

• Take her back Upstairs.jpeg
    Take her back Upstairs.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 103
Catherine puts 'Uncle Billy' for a commanding officer's hardest dilemma : his personal feelings against maintaining discipline! Particularly in the face of his subordinates! If he fails on discipline, he will put his whole mission at risk. Since, although he still can maintain order by using the brute authority of his rank, he will loose the respect and confidence from his men, needed to make the campaign succesful. This dilemma is well worked out here!:clapping:

Catherine puts 'Uncle Billy' for a commanding officer's hardest dilemma : his personal feelings against maintaining discipline! Particularly in the face of his subordinates! If he fails on discipline, he will put his whole mission at risk. Since, although he still can maintain order by using the brute authority of his rank, he will loose the respect and confidence from his men, needed to make the campaign succesful. This dilemma is well worked out here!:clapping:
Spot on my friend ... it will be Sherman's mental turmoil throughout this story ...

Spot on my friend ... it will be Sherman's mental turmoil throughout this story ...
Reminds me of another Civil War movie, 'Major Dundee', by Sam Peckinpah. In a complicated field of hostilities accross the Mexican border (Union, Confederates, stragglers, criminals, Apaches, Mexicans, French,...) The lead character, commander of a Union cavalry unit (Charlton Heston) starts messing around with local women, bringing him into embarassing situations, he starts drinking, while his men struggle with the complex guerilla battlefield situation and their foraging problems. Ultimately, it is a captive Confederate officer (Richard Harris), who shames him and reminds him of his duties.

Pointing a loaded gun at a Union general? She's darn lucky she didn't get sent to the whipping post for that!
In every 'normal' war, she simply would be summary shot for that!

Reminds me of another Civil War movie, 'Major Dundee', by Sam Peckinpah. In a complicated field of hostilities accross the Mexican border (Union, Confederates, stragglers, criminals, Apaches, Mexicans, French,...) The lead character, commander of a Union cavalry unit (Charlton Heston) starts messing around with local women, bringing him into embarassing situations, he starts drinking, while his men struggle with the complex guerilla battlefield situation and their foraging problems. Ultimately, it is a captive Confederate officer (Richard Harris), who shames him and reminds him of his duties.

In every 'normal' war, she simply would be summary shot for that!
I am delighted that the story is spawning such dialogue, it's inspiring to read

I think Catherine would have been shot on the spot had it not been for the soldier boys minds already being on dealing with her in a different way ;)

Chapter 6 – Catherine’s Bedchamber, Just After Midday, May 11th 1864

Catherine tried to steady her breathing. She could still not accept what was happening in her own home, especially not with Uncle Billy here. How could he have this done to her. She had known him all of her life. He had watched her grow into the young woman she was today. She was so distraught that in her delicate mind he might as well have done this to her himself.

The room was warm. Despite the Spring rains the temperature was hot, and her bound body glistened with perspiration. She could not get free, he was watching, this damnable fiend called Sampson. Although he had his back to her, looking out of the window towards the fields, he was still here inside her room, and she felt his presence keenly.

The first thing she tested was the gag, she rolled her head and pushed against it with her tongue, but no matter what she did she couldn't work the fabric of the thin cotton undergarment out of her mouth. The General had not ordered her to be gagged. This was an unacceptable liberty and one that this animal and his men would pay for in due course, she would see to that. Finally, she stopped trying, and looked at her wrists, flicking towards one direction and then the other in an attempt to move them. She tugged in any and every which way, but she was tightly held with this rough rope to the bed posts. Catherine knew that the General’s order to tie her ‘not too tightly’ had been blatantly ignored, but how would he know because she hadn’t seen him since the encounter in the hallway.

And yes, despite her protests, and Uncle Billy’s clear instructions, they had tied her ankles in a similar fashion to her wrists. Not only was she secured, she was also open, her thighs parted underneath the frills of her dress and the loose cotton drawers that protected her womanhood.

She had never felt so defenceless.

Sampson turned inwards and watched her struggling, noting how her calf and thigh muscles stretched under the faded peach fabric that now laid flat against her prostrate body. He admired her breasts, not large, but firm enough to be heaving against the tight low hem line spread across her chest. It spanned all the way to the smooth flesh of her shoulders, and exposed the provocative foundations of a delectable cleavage.

Her dark hair was loose and lay unfettered and feathered out around her pillow. The sight of her made the officer’s groin ache. Before this day was through, he would have her one way or another.

Squirming uneasily under his gaze, Catherine began moving again, but she was no longer flexing her hands or tugging at her feet, just twisting her body slowly back and forth. She couldn’t help but look at him, noting how his eyes roamed over her, all of her … undressing her. Her fear was mounting and the Lieutenant was enjoying the effect the situation was most clearly having upon her respiratory system … the bound girl was breathing hard through the gag and clenching her teeth, unwittingly accentuating the rise and fall of her breasts.

“You seem to have gotten yourself into a bit of a pickle Miss McCown,” Sampson smirked at the bound girl.

She glared at him, unable, of course, to respond.

“You should have simply let us take what we wanted and we would have left you alone … well, maybe we would.”

He laughed as she attempted to react.

"Uuu … onster uuu! Arghhhh, ake uuu ay, etch!"

“Oh, I am sorry my dear girl, but I cannot tell a word you are saying.” Sampson took a seat upon the edge of the bed, next to where she lay.

As he talked, he reached out and began tracing lines over her stomach, she whimpered at his touch and looked directly into his eyes, silently imploring him to stop. But all she succeeded in achieving was a movement of his hand higher as it brushed over her breast, first one and then the other.

Catherine closed her eyes and turned her head to the side so that she did not have to face him. She hated him with a passion, but she hated William T Sherman even more for allowing this to happen.

Sampson moved his touch lower towards her feet and the hemline edge of her dress. As he began to bunch the material higher up her calf she bucked wildly, shaking and crying out her muffled protests. But the poor girl couldn’t stop the Lieutenant from reaching the place where her silk stocking bordered the frilly bottom of her bloomers.

Sampson laughed at her obvious distress before removing his hand.

“I need to go and see ‘Uncle Billy’ …” Sampson’s tone was mocking, “… before he departs, and so I must leave you now Miss McCown. But rest assured I shall return.”

To Be Continued ...

Attachments

• Turned her head to the side.png
    Turned her head to the side.png
    701.5 KB · Views: 102
The General had not ordered her to be gagged. This was an unacceptable liberty and one that this animal and his men would pay for in due course, she would see to that. Finally, she stopped trying, and looked at her wrists, flicking towards one direction and then the other in an attempt to move them. She tugged in any and every which way, but she was tightly held with this rough rope to the bed posts. Catherine knew that the General’s order to tie her ‘not too tightly’ had been blatantly ignored, but how would he know because she hadn’t seen him since the encounter in the hallway.

And yes, despite her protests, and Uncle Billy’s clear instructions, they had tied her ankles in a similar fashion to her wrists.
In the army, they call it 'initiative', Lady!:devil:

but she was tightly held with this rough rope to the bed posts
How barbaric! Everyone knows for BDSM play, you use silk rope with fur lining so as not to chafe the wrists. She should use her safe word immediately. Opps. I forgot she was gagged!
Not only was she secured, she was also open, her thighs parted underneath the frills of her dress and the loose cotton drawers that protected her womanhood.
It was all for her own protection, I'm sure!
Catherine began moving again, but she was no longer flexing her hands or tugging at her feet, just twisting her body slowly back and forth
Now what is she trying to do? Tie up the average girl and they immediately become aroused and want to be fucked.
But rest assured I shall return.”
Thank Goodness! I would have been terribly disappointed if he was just going to leave her that way and depart.

Only if the outcome is successful,if not, it is insubordination !
In this case, I am not so sure! It would be insubordination, if they had done something, Sherman had forbidden, or if they had not tied her to the bed. What Sherman has ordered, was strategy. It was to the lieutenant to carry out that vague order according to his best tactical insights! That's what he is trained for!

In this case, I am not so sure! It would be insubordination, if they had done something, Sherman had forbidden, or if they had not tied her to the bed. What Sherman has ordered, was strategy. It was to the lieutenant to carry out that vague order according to his best tactical insights! That's what he is trained for!
I was not referring to the specific incident, but to Military thinking generally.

I was not referring to the specific incident, but to Military thinking generally.
So was I!
It depends what command modes the army prefers : order tactics or mission tactics. The latter emphasises on achieving the outcome of a mission, rather than on the ways to achieve it (requiring more and strickter orders, to be obeyed strickter too). Mission tactics leaves more room for initiative.

So was I!
It depends what command modes the army prefers : order tactics or mission tactics. The latter emphasises on achieving the outcome of a mission, rather than on the ways to achieve it (requiring more and strickter orders, to be obeyed strickter too). Mission tactics leaves more room for initiative.

Excellent discussion point my friend. However I suspect Lieutenant Sampson's planned execution of Sherman's instruction was less to with 'textbook' military thinking and more to do with the stimulation of the one track in his mind ..

Back
Top Bottom