My broken body, my broken heart
The drop is short and full of pain
I never said your name

The air is still
My life, my life!
It hurts, it hurts!
I never said your name - Tadeusz

a short story with a wartime Polish setting

Pigtails flying, I’m humming happily as I’m cycling home through the autumn sunshine. Mum will be pleased with the blaeberries ...

Suddenly a loud honking, roar of a powerful car, I swerve, nearly topple off my brother’s big byke as I lurch towards the hedge, a huge grey staff-car hurtles past. Bloody Germans. I steady myself, press on uphill, it’s quite a stiff climb, but my legs can do it. Round the sharp bend, then I brake sharply, the grey car’s stopped, blocking the narrow lane.

A tall man in the sharp-cut grey cloth and black leather of an SS Officer steps out, strides towards me. “Heil Hitler!” he snaps, “Heil Hitler,” I reply, as half-heartedly as I dare. “A pleasant afternoon for a ride, isn’t it?” “Yes, it is, Sir,” I reply glumly. My German’s not bad, we have to learn it in school – it’s about all we do learn these days. What’s your name, kid?” Kid! “Zuzana” I hiss, feeling my cheeks burning “Zuzana Stoltz.”

He stands in front of me, looking me up and down. I’m standing self-consciously, holding the byke straight with my long thin legs stretched wide to the sides, my threadbare cotton dress rucked up on the crossbar. “That’s a big byke for a little girl – a boy’s one, too.” “It’s my brother’s.” “Ah, so you have brothers?” “Two, Sir. Andrzej’s an apprentice electrician. Pawel’s away working in Germany.” As a slave, I don’t add.

“And what have you been doing, Zuzana?” “I’ve just been into town Sir.” “What for?” “To see Father Jerzy...” “Oh, why?” I’m blushing, eyes lowered under his cold, steel-blue gaze. It’s not something a girl likes to talk about, least of all to an obviously unsympathetic man ... “T-to make my confession,” I mumble. His thin mouth curls to a sneer. “Father Jerzy has an enjoyable job, hearing the confessions of pretty young ladies. I think I could do his job – rather well, eh, Golo?” His driver, a swarthy, thick-set brute who’s standing beside me now, eyeing me nastily, guffaws.

The Officer strolls around, still drinking me in with his stare, my hands are quivering as I grip the handlebars. Please stop this game, I’m wanting to say, please let me get on home to mum... “What’s in your bag, Zuzana?” He’s spotted the saddlebag where Andrzej puts his tools. “Blaeberries, Sir ... I picked them on the moor.” His face hardens. “You picked them! You know that’s not allowed, stealing State property!” “S-sorry Sir – I only picked a few ... they’re for my mum, Sir, she’s really not well, and we’ve not had any fruit for months...” “Get off that byke!” he barks, “You can tell your sob stories to the Polish police, they’re not my problem – handcuffs, Golo!”

Shaking, I swing my leg over the saddle, let the byke fall on the roadbank, hold out my wrists. The brute produces handcuffs, pulls my arms behind my back and locks them. Even at their tightest, they’re loose on my thin wrists, but not loose enough to slip out of. “Get the byke in the boot,” he commands the driver, and grabs my bare upper arm so tight it feels like he’ll snap it, hauls me sobbing to the car, shoves me in onto a posh leather-covered seat. I glimpse a long shiny riding-crop lying on the back shelf. He gets in and sits close beside me.

As I wriggle, my bum sliding back on the wide seat, the hem of my frock rides up on my thighs, but my manacled hands can’t do anything about it. Shit, I’m thinking, picking blaeberries is hardly a capital crime. With luck they’ll just send me home with a whipping. I only hope the bastards don’t demand a bribe from mum.

I hear the boot slammed shut, the driver climbs in. Before pulling the starter, he turns round and hands something to the Officer. “Found this caught on the pedal-shaft, Sir.” The Officer looks at the object without much interest, but suddenly his expression changes, he swings round and thrusts it in front of my face. “You know what this is?” he growls. “N-no Sir ....” It’s just a bit of wire. “It – it’s something of my brother’s Sir, he’s an electric-“ He slaps my face, “Lying puppy! You know fucking well – it’s wire for a bomb fuse!”

My whole body seizes with terror, I feel I’m going to be sick. “Straight to HQ, Golo, this brat’s got some talking to do!” The engine roars, the car starts off at a lunatic speed, racing through the narrow lanes, away from the town, away from my home.

My mind’s flashing back in terror to last night. Andrzej was out, mum was peeling vegetables, I was lying half-asleep on my bed in the corner of the kitchen. In the distance, the long rumble of one of those heavy trains that come through every night. There was a bang, not a huge one, a loud crack like a fog signal – but there was no fog. The train rattled to a stop. Mum stopped her peeling, she seemed abstracted, anxious. After long, silent minutes, the train started up again, slowly rumbled out of earshot.

Andrzej didn’t come back for a couple of hours. When he did, he was pale, shaking. He muttered a few words, all I caught was “bloody detonator failed....”

We sweep past the turning to our cottage, soon we’re out on the main road to Warsaw...

I thought the poem might have been about a woman who wouldn't give up the name of her basically lover.

Reactions: Pia
a manip artist named 'Bor' did an lot of manips that would greatly illustrate this period. Last saw him on The Dark Spot...

t

I like the beginning of the story and can't wait to read what happens next to poor little Zuzana! I don't usually do manips with 'nazis', but here is one suitably reworked of an interrogation from an older pic I did.

interrogation01.jpg

Attachments

• Exec_09_36.jpg
    Exec_09_36.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 483
  • Exec_09_41.jpg
    Exec_09_41.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 474
  • Exec_09_48-01.jpg
    Exec_09_48-01.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 460
  • Exec_09_49.jpg
    Exec_09_49.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 464
  • Exec_09_50.jpg
    Exec_09_50.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 441
  • Exec_09_55.jpg
    Exec_09_55.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 437
  • Exec_09_61.jpg
    Exec_09_61.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 456
  • Exec_09_62.jpg
    Exec_09_62.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 469
  • Exec_09_67.jpg
    Exec_09_67.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 470
  • Exec_09_73.jpg
    Exec_09_73.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 462
I thought the poem might have been about a woman who wouldn't give up the name of her basically lover.
my story wasn't directly connected with pk's good poem, just one from a few months back,
her poem reminded me it had gone awol in the crash
More please Eulalia!
More please Eulalia!
I like the beginning of the story and can't wait to read what happens next to poor little Zuzana! I don't usually do manips with 'nazis', but here is one suitably reworked of an interrogation from an older pic I did.View attachment 97133
maybe I'll write some more about Zuzanna, but sometimes I like to just sketch out a scenario, ratchet up the tension, and leave it to readers' imaginations what's going to happen - and clearly your imagination has no problem with working on it, Damian!
and here is a selection :D
all too vividly true​

my story wasn't directly connected with pk's good poem, just one from a few months back,

maybe I'll write some more about Zuzanna, but sometimes I like to just sketch out a scenario, ratchet up the tension, and leave it to readers' imaginations what's going to happen - and clearly your imagination has no problem with working on it, Damian!

all too vividly true​
I'm not much of a writer, but pictures can 'speak' a thousand words!

I'm not much of a writer, but pictures can 'speak' a thousand words!
If you have the imagination for it. For me, crucifixion and similar themed stories should follow the lines of Greek tragedy. Even though she does not deserve she brought it on herself.
Take the poem. The heroine has been tortured and tomlrmented for a name she protected, yet as she is about to die, they drop his corpse in front of her to show that she suffered in vain. That is a story.

Sorry. Meant no offense.
If that was addressed to me, no offence taken.

I totally agree with Eulalia that each persons imagination must be free to create the scenario that best suits each of our fantasies, with her giving a written prompt, and us visual artists offering a visual interpretation and prompt. In the picture I posted there is quite a lot happening and each observer, depending on how observant they are, will 'read' all sorts of plots and sub-plots into the story. The same is true of the series of images posted by Phlebas, one can get carried away with scenarios if so disposed.

If you have the imagination for it. For me, crucifixion and similar themed stories should follow the lines of Greek tragedy. Even though she does not deserve she brought it on herself.
Take the poem. The heroine has been tortured and tomlrmented for a name she protected, yet as she is about to die, they drop his corpse in front of her to show that she suffered in vain. That is a story.
...Hard to make an extra body "scan" though! The delights and difficulties of poetry! Maybe a storyline sometime... :)

...Hard to make an extra body "scan" though! The delights and difficulties of poetry!... :)

Actually given the number of responses and the level of serious thought and discussion it has provoked I would call your triumph a poem (or possibly your poem a triumph but Spelling Squirrel my small god of typos wanted to help out ;) )

To my mind the purpose of art be it poetry, prose or some visual medium is to provoke reaction be that emotion or thought. Clearly you have succeeded in spades and in handling a very difficult subject too so well done PK :clapping:

Even though she does not deserve she brought it on herself.

a thought-provoking post Jacks -
a thread that seems to run through a lot of my stories and fantasies
is of being tortured/ punished/ executed
simply for being who I am,
it's my fate​

all too vividly true​
I am going through a period of other issues, you must all have heard about the problem in Greece, still doing work but very centred on supplying the site. They will be publishing a Harem series booklet end of September with text by Cortez, poor harem girls are in for a treat! Great story theme Eulalia, I'll look for pigtailed damsels to do a few pics, not really into Nazi stuff though!

I am going through a period of other issues, you must all have heard about the problem in Greece, still doing work but very centred on supplying the site. They will be publishing a Harem series booklet end of September with text by Cortez, poor harem girls are in for a treat! Great story theme Eulalia, I'll look for pigtailed damsels to do a few pics, not really into Nazi stuff though!
How about nazi allies in the Mid East. Wouldn't that be up your ally?
Hope all is well.

Back
Top Bottom