"A compendium of witches"

Go to CruxDreams.com
Prudentius portrays Eulalia of Merida in his long poem that is the earliest and best source (403, about a century after her martyrdom) as a very devout Christian girl prepared to sacrifice herself trying to prevent the persecution of the local Christians - but she's a spunky youngster, when the persecution breaks out, her parents send her to a safe house in the hills, but she escapes, makes her way back to the city, and harangues the Governor in the courtroom. The cheeky 'jokes' Prudentius puts in her mouth include thanking her torturers for writing the praise of God in purple on her skin after she'd been flogged (deep purple ink on pale purple vellum was supposed to be reserved for panegyrics to the Emperor), and thanking them for inscribing the cross of Christ on her breasts after they'd carved her with hooks. I first read about her when I was much the same age as she was and was very excited by the idea!

Prudentius portrays Eulalia of Merida in his long poem that is the earliest and best source (403, about a century after her martyrdom) as a very devout Christian girl prepared to sacrifice herself trying to prevent the persecution of the local Christians - but she's a spunky youngster, when the persecution breaks out, her parents send her to a safe house in the hills, but she escapes, makes her way back to the city, and harangues the Governor in the courtroom. The cheeky 'jokes' Prudentius puts in her mouth include thanking her torturers for writing the praise of God in purple on her skin after she'd been flogged (deep purple ink on pale purple vellum was supposed to be reserved for panegyrics to the Emperor), and thanking them for inscribing the cross of Christ on her breasts after they'd carved her with hooks. I first read about her when I was much the same age as she was and was very excited by the idea!
I can totally believe you would have been reading Prudentius at the age of fourteen.. we lesser mortals were reading comics… :p

Anyway this was supposed to be about wicked witches and not saintly martyrs!

Glyn Smyth is creating art under the brand "Stag and Serpent"
morrigan-glyn-smyth_1024x1024.png mourning_orig.png DS370sSW4AA8VCg.jpg celestial-art-occult_1024x1024.png
sketchbook-stagandserpent.JPG the-black-pool_orig.png 9f753711d4a8721d9895437588738e5e.jpg
image-asset (2).jpegEbIlnBAXgAYxU2Z.jpeg

stag-and-serpent_1_orig.png
"In his home studio in Belfast, artist Glyn Smyth spends his days designing
album covers, gig posters and other similar commissions, while working
on his own pieces in the off-time. He is a full-time, professional printmaker,
illustrator and graphic design artist with a wide range of styles from textile
patterns and art nouveau to print illustrations depicting a haunting realism.
Despite this artistic range, there is one particular element that does bind all
of his work together, and that something is found

through his deep devotion to esoteric themes."

https://wildhunt.org/2016/07/exploring-the-occult-through-illustration-with-artist-glyn-smith.html
http://cvltnation.com/artist-artist-interviews-brian-uhl-vs-glyn-smyth/

The girl's name on the left foto is Sigurd Odinson.
hmm that's a very masculine name though, maybe we can turn her into a Sigrid Odinsdottir and so make her a kind of pagan Shesus?

Anyway, here's some work by an artist called Bastien Lecouffe Deharme.
The name sounds like something out of the 19th century but actually he's of the millennial generation

D1FBoJKWwAAz3Ip.jpg d72fefu-8172c825-da76-4c06-a6cc-ca192fa20f05.jpg bastien-lecouffe-deharme-12_orig.jpg EVgKK_6X0AAWTfa.jpg EUdoSNFXYAAYl-Z.jpg d72952z-4a95f119-0383-4d6b-a3a1-6bd71d8b1108.jpg

Here's his version of the character Yennefer of Vengerberg,
... which then got emulated by a cosplay enthusiast
yennefer.jpg EV5_I1iWsAI9lrd.jpg

To my eyes it's just the phases of the moon down her spine, and on her arm there's a celtic knot, something something '...bring you back from...' in the text and then... whatever ;) Can't say for sure whom or what she wants to bring back, but since she is facing out to sea maybe this?
View attachment 1057347
Oh I DO hope she’s conjuring great Cthulhu from his lair in unfathomable R’lyeh, accompanied by legions of nameless gibbering horrors. He’s been f’htagn for long enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh that's just kind of second nature, it is in fact a lot easier conjuring that thing than getting out of the tub, pad around dripping wet, and search for the damn brush...

Back
Top Bottom