A Legendary Heroic Tale: They Say It Actually Happened in Nottingham in 1191

Go to CruxDreams.com

Barbaria1

Rebel Leader
Staff member

Episode 01.

Nottingham Castle, Thursday, 13 June 1191.

With a grim frown clouding his face, the High Sheriff descended the foot-worn stone steps leading down to the castle dungeon. It was late at night, and he’d have preferred to be in bed with some peasant wench, but the issue could not wait. It simply had to be attended to.

Muttering darkly to himself, he followed the narrow passageway, passing by the dingy cells that lined it. Flickering tarred torches mounted on the walls lit the way.

From the occupants of the individual cells came a cacophony of groans and moans, and the occasional plea for help. The stench of human waste assaulted his nose.

At the end of the long passageway he reached the heavy oaken door that led to the dungeon’s torture chambers. The doorkeeper, a stout man, who’d been dozing while seated against the wall, looked up with a start. Scrambling clumsily to his feet he hastily attempted a bow that nearly sent him sprawling.

“M’Lord!” he uttered, taking care to affect the appropriate tone of deference.

“Where is she?”

“Come, I’ll take you to her. I believe they’ve put her to the rack. I hear she’s been rather obstinate.”

“Hardly surprising. Lead on.”

“Yes, m’Lord. Follow me.”

“The chambers they passed by were empty. The tools of daily terror and persuasion silent, save for in the chamber at the far end, from which a woman’s shrill cry split the otherwise surrounding silence.”

“They have her in the last chamber …,” said the doorkeeper unnecessarily.

“Apparently so ….”

“It’s the one equipped with the big torture rack …”

“I see …”

“Does m’Lord wish that I announce the High Sheriff of Nottingham’s arrival.”

“No. That ‘s hardly necessary. Just get out of my way.”

“Yes, m’Lord.”

Brushing the doorkeeper brusquely aside he slipped unnoticed into the chamber, and swiftly took in the scene. He found himself facing the heavy wooden torture rack to which the doorkeeper had referred. It was tilted at an incline, and she … his bride of less than four days … lay stretched out upon it.

He was assaulted by the intensely stifling warmth of the chamber, contrasting sharply with that of the spaces he’d traversed to get there. Several braziers filled with glowing hot coals generated the heat, as well as the acrid fumes that assaulted and stung his nose and eyes.

Surrounding the rack were three men … bare-chested and muscular … all of whom, sensing his presence, looked up from their labors. One was positioned at the ratcheted cranking mechanism that operated the rack. Another held a braided leather whip in his hand. The third, who appeared to be in charge of the proceedings, straightened up from where he had been leaning over her and turned to face him.

“Welcome m’Lord. You’ve come, no doubt, to learn of any progress and observe our methods?” the man said without a moment’s hesitation.

He gave no reply, stepping past the man instead to get a closer view. She was stark naked … and beautiful as always … even in her present condition.

IMG_5285.jpeg

The man with the whip, perhaps sensing that some modest decorum was needed … quickly laid a tattered piece of cloth … recognizable as a scrap of the gown she’d been wearing earlier that day … over her lewdly exposed pudendum.

It was quite obvious that her racking was as yet in the early stages. While fully stretched out, and under some strain … she’d just screamed, hadn’t she? … she seemed rather calm and composed. Though, he could well see that she was breathing heavily … her chest rising and falling rapidly … her mounded breasts wobbling about enticingly, each jauntily adorned with a perky pink nipple encircled by its pebbled aureola. Her pale skin was sheened in sweat, bits of her reddish-toned brown hair plastered to her forehead.

But the true source of the scream he’d overheard earlier, he quickly surmised, was not so much a response to a stretching that had not as yet progressed very much, but to the sharp bite of the whip. For across her tautly flattened abdomen, three reddened lash lines were visible. One crossing just above the navel, the other two below, extending to and wrapping around the edge of her far hip.

His gaze returned to her face, jaw set, eyes closed … lovely even under stress. She’d not seemed to take notice of his presence as of yet … possibly because she was doing everything she possibly could within her mind to transport herself far away from the scene.

“Resume what you were doing,” he said quietly to the three watching him expectantly.

“Yes, m’Lord,” they chorused.

“Tell us who he is!” Who’s your illicit lover?” demanded the team leader, roughly gripping her chin and leaning into her face.

She opened her eyes, shook her head in refusal, and closed them again.

“Stretch her out further and deliver three more lashes!”

His henchmen moved swiftly to obey. The rack’s ratchet mechanism clicked over three additional notches, while the brute wielding the whip laid three quick strokes across the yielding softness of the underside of her bare breasts.

She screamed again and again and again, each one ear-piercingly shrill and loud … her cries reverberating off the chamber’s vaulted stone ceiling.

How could she? He mused as he witnessed her agony. How could she, his bride, engage in infidelity within but a few days of their marriage? Such behavior might be perfectly acceptable for men like himself and, of course, by low-born women … but not by someone like his Barbara, daughter of William Moore, an Earl, no less, and perhaps one of the wealthiest men in the shire.

Unacceptable, yes totally unacceptable, he told himself, eyes closed, as she refused to talk, and the ratchet mechanism clicked thrice once again. And the dull sound of leather slapping against bare female flesh filled his ears. And as she screamed more shrilly than he believed possible.

He’d seen enough. Turning abruptly on his heel, he left the chamber, walking briskly, the doorkeeper scrambling to keep up.

She’ll talk soon enough, he assured himself. What was there to deny? They’d pry the truth from her before too long.

It was all such a mystery. He’d come to their bed chamber the night before, unexpectedly early he had to admit. And there she was, lying naked in their bed, stains on the bedding, her cunt oozing cum, someone else’s cum, not his! Someone who had obviously fled, presumably in a panic, at the first sounds of his arrival home.

He’d get the bastard, he vowed. And when he did, he’d see that they both paid … she and he, whom ever he might be … only then could his honor be restored.

TBC

He’d get the bastard, he vowed. And when he did, he’d see that they both paid … she and he, whom ever he might be … only then could his honor be restored.
Good thing Tree is a master of disguise...

Good opening, Barb... I think!!!

Episode 02

Nottingham Castle, Friday, 14 June 1191.

It was early morning. The High Sheriff was engaged in the daily task of recording the exorbitant taxes and fees his henchmen had extorted the previous day from the poorest elements of the Shire’s population. To entertain him the Court Balladeer sat nearby, playing his lute and singing:

“Oh will he ever return,
will he ever return,
And his fate is still unlearned
Richard may crusade forever
It’s such a noble endeavor
He’s the King who never returns”

But the ballad was abruptly cut short as the Dungeon Master made his appearance.

“M’Lord,” intoned the Master, bowing stiffly.

“Well? Did you get her to talk?”

“Of course, we did, m’Lord. T’was a mere matter of time. The poor thing broke not long after you left. Typical for the high-bred ones. They never hold out long once we have ‘em stretched on the rack.”

“I’m indebted to you. Not a word of this to anyone, understood?” The Sheriff warned as he gathered a handful of coins from his writing desk and proffered them to the Dungeon Master, who bowed deeply and accepted his reward.

“Not a word of it, m’Lord,”

“Now tell me, who is the scoundrel that bedded my bride?”

“T’was your nemesis, m’Lord. She admitted it plainly, she did. Said ‘twas none other than Robin of Locksley, known among the common folk, who revere him, as Robin Hood!”

“Zounds! What could be worse!”

“Not a word of it to anyone, m’Lord,” repeated the Dungeon Master, hopeful that there might be another cash handout.”

“What could be worse?” The Sheriff repeated. “Where is she now, good man?”

“We’ve put her in irons and thrown her in a dungeon cell until further word, m’Lord.”

“Take me to her!”

Within but a short time, the High Sheriff, found himself admitted by the Dungeon Master to a foul smelling cell. And there she was, his dishonored bride of three days, seated and slumped against the far wall, wrists and ankles shackled together, an iron collar and short length of chain, restraining any movement away from the wall, completed her restraints.

IMG_5289.jpeg

She was naked, and even in the dim light of the cell wall’s flickering torch he could make out the bruising on her wrists and ankles, inflicted from having been stretched on the torture rack. Also clearly visible were a series of thin whip-marks spread over her chest and belly. Her head was slumped forward. A tangle of hair largely obscured her face. Yes, it was clear she’d suffered considerably before she broke.

“Barbara,” he said softly, nudging her flank with the toe of his boot.

She stirred, shook away some of the hair covering her face, blinked twice, recognition registering on her face … but said nothing.”

“How could you have so crassly dishonored me, as well as yourself?” he demanded, kneeling before her and grasping her chin. “And with that scoundrel and outlaw, Robin Hood, no less? I’m both aggrieved and furious! What got into you, to do such a vile senseless thing? What will your father say when he learns of it?”

IMG_5281.jpeg

Suddenly alert, she shouted, “Nothing! Father’ll say not a word! Why? Because he’ll never hear of it. Either you won’t tell him out of embarrassment or, if you do, he’ll simply write it off as a business matter of no consequence given the huge sum you foolishly paid him to gain my hand in a marriage I did not want! I was never exactly his favorite daughter. Indeed, he probably had a good laugh the day you agreed to pay the exorbitant price he demanded!”

“Why you cheeky little slut!” he roared and was about to slap her fiercely defiant face, but somehow managed to control his rage.

IMG_5283.jpeg

Releasing his grip on her chin and eying her thoughtfully, he turned to the Dungeon Master, and said, “Such insolence cannot go unpunished. Tell me, my good man, what are my options under the law.”

“You, m’Lord, are in fact above the law. With King Richard away on crusade, you and Prince John are quite free to do as you like. You’d be entirely within your rights to order me to do to her whatever you wish. But, if I may make a suggestion, it’s usually customary in the case of a wife’s indiscretions for a wife’s aggrieved husband to demand that she be publicly flogged … taken to the post in the town market square on the day of your choice, stripped to the waist and whipped soundly … the number of strokes to be laid on to be determined by you, the aggrieved. I might add that the customary minimum is twenty-five.”

“Then, I so demand! Make it public and tomorrow at noon. I shall inform you in good time of the number of strokes.”

“Very good, m’Lord. I will make the arrangements, distribute handbills to alert the public, and instruct the town criers to add due mention in their evening cries.”

“Excellent!

“Two other matters, I wish to raise, if I may, m’Lord?”

“And they are?

“Given that she shall stand punishment before the public, is it not likely that her father shall learn of it.”

“No matter. You heard what she said! He’s likely not to care at all. And the other matter?”

“Has it occurred to you, m’Lord, that the news is likely to reach Robin Hood as well.”

“No matter again. He likely could care less. My informants tell me he’s truly besotted with the fair Maid Marion, whoever she may be. I’m sure my wife was no more than a passing fancy. But the possibility Robin Hood might try to rescue her did, in fact, occur to me. Should he be so bold as to attempt a rescue, we’ll be waiting for him. Indeed, she might be the perfect bait to spring a trap.”

“And should Robin Hood indeed be so bold to come forth and you succeed in capturing him?”

“Then the people will be entertained by the sight of Robin Hood swinging from the gallows! And, as an added attraction my wife shall swing alongside him. I’ve no interest in keeping her around. I’ll simply condemn them both as co-conspirators and enemies of the realm!”

“Yes, as you wish, m’Lord. One final matter, if I may, what do you wish that I do with your wife between now and her public whipping on the morrow?”

“Now, it’s my turn to care less! Treat her to any and as many indignities as you and your men please. I’m sure you’ll think of something.”

“Yes, m’Lord.”

TBC

Nottingham Castle, Friday, 14 June 1191.

It was early morning. The High Sheriff was engaged in the daily task of recording the exorbitant taxes and fees his henchmen had extorted the previous day from the poorest elements of the Shire’s population. To entertain him the Court Balladeer sat nearby, playing his lute and singing:

“Oh will he ever return,
will he ever return,
And his fate is still unlearned
Richard may crusade forever
It’s such a noble endeavor
He’s the King who never returns”

But the ballad was abruptly cut short as the Dungeon Master made his appearance.

“M’Lord,” intoned the Master, bowing stiffly.

“Well? Did you get her to talk?”

“Of course, we did, m’Lord. T’was a mere matter of time. The poor thing broke not long after you left. Typical for the high-bred ones. They never hold out long once we have ‘em stretched on the rack.”

“I’m indebted to you. Not a word of this to anyone, understood?” The Sheriff warned as he gathered a handful of coins from his writing desk and proffered them to the Dungeon Master, who bowed deeply and accepted his reward.

“Not a word of it, m’Lord,”

“Now tell me, who is the scoundrel that bedded my bride?”

“T’was your nemesis, m’Lord. She admitted it plainly, she did. Said ‘twas none other than Robin of Locksley, known among the common folk, who revere him, as Robin Hood!”

“Zounds! What could be worse!”

“Not a word of it to anyone, m’Lord,” repeated the Dungeon Master, hopeful that there might be another cash handout.”

“What could be worse?” The Sheriff repeated. “Where is she now, good man?”

“We’ve put her in irons and thrown her in a dungeon cell until further word, m’Lord.”

“Take me to her!”

Within but a short time, the High Sheriff, found himself admitted by the Dungeon Master to a foul smelling cell. And there she was, his dishonored bride of three days, seated and slumped against the far wall, wrists and ankles shackled together, an iron collar and short length of chain, restraining any movement away from the wall, completed her restraints.

She was naked, and even in the dim light of the cell wall’s flickering torch he could make out the bruising on her wrists and ankles, inflicted from having been stretched on the torture rack. Also clearly visible were a series of thin whip-marks spread over her chest and belly. Her head was slumped forward. A tangle of hair largely obscured her face. Yes, it was clear she’d suffered considerably before she broke.

“Barbara,” he said softly, nudging her flank with the toe of his boot.

She stirred, shook away some of the hair covering her face, blinked twice, recognition registering on her face … but said nothing.”

“How could you have so crassly dishonored me, as well as yourself?” he demanded, kneeling before her and grasping her chin. “And with that scoundrel and outlaw, Robin Hood, no less? I’m both aggrieved and furious! What got into you, to do such a vile senseless thing? What will your father say when he learns of it?”

Suddenly alert, she shouted, “Nothing! Father’ll say not a word! Why? Because he’ll never hear of it. Either you won’t tell him out of embarrassment or, if you do, he’ll simply write it off as a business matter of no consequence given the huge sum you foolishly paid him to gain my hand in a marriage I did not want! I was never exactly his favorite daughter. Indeed, he probably had a good laugh the day you agreed to pay the exorbitant price he demanded!”

“Why you cheeky little slut!” he roared and was about to slap her fiercely defiant face, but somehow managed to control his rage.

Releasing his grip on her chin and eying her thoughtfully, he turned to the Dungeon Master, and said, “Such insolence cannot go unpunished. Tell me, my good man, what are my options under the law.”

“You, m’Lord, are in fact above the law. With King Richard away on crusade, you and Prince John are quite free to do as you like. You’d be entirely within your rights to order me to do to her whatever you wish. But, if I may make a suggestion, it’s usually customary in the case of a wife’s indiscretions for a wife’s aggrieved husband to demand that she be publicly flogged … taken to the post in the town market square on the day of your choice, stripped to the waist and whipped soundly … the number of strokes to be laid on to be determined by you, the aggrieved. I might add that the customary minimum is twenty-five.”

“Then, I so demand! Make it public and tomorrow at noon. I shall inform you in good time of the number of strokes.”

“Very good, m’Lord. I will make the arrangements, distribute handbills to alert the public, and instruct the town criers to add due mention in their evening cries.”

“Excellent!

“Two other matters, I wish to raise, if I may, m’Lord?”

“And they are?

“Given that she shall stand punishment before the public, is it not likely that her father shall learn of it.”

“No matter. You heard what she said! He’s likely not to care at all. And the other matter?”

“Has it occurred to you, m’Lord, that the news is likely to reach Robin Hood as well.”

“No matter again. He likely could care less. My informants tell me he’s truly besotted with the fair Maid Marion, whoever she may be. I’m sure my wife was no more than a passing fancy. But the possibility Robin Hood might try to rescue her did, in fact, occur to me. Should he be so bold as to attempt a rescue, we’ll be waiting for him. Indeed, she might be the perfect bait to spring a trap.”

“And should Robin Hood indeed be so bold to come forth and you succeed in capturing him?”

“Then the people will be entertained by the sight of Robin Hood swinging from the gallows! And, as an added attraction my wife shall swing alongside him. I’ve no interest in keeping her around. I’ll simply condemn them both as co-conspirators and enemies of the realm!”

“Yes, as you wish, m’Lord. One final matter, if I may, what do you wish that I do with your wife between now and her public whipping on the morrow?”

“Now, it’s my turn to care less! Treat her to any and as many indignities as you and your men please. I’m sure you’ll think of something.”

“Yes, m’Lord.”

TBC
It was Robin of Loxley!! What will the Maid Marion have to say about that?

However, I can already hear the horses hooves galloping out of Sherwood Forrest towards Nottingham Castle!

Robin of Sherwood knows every last trick.
Barb or Marion? He can take his pick.
He is handsome and brave,
And the girls, they all crave,
A fuck from his very large dick!

Barb's confession she must now be ruing,
As she's in for a whole load of screwing.
The Dungeon Master will dog 'er,
And on the morrow he'll flog 'er.
This could be brave Robin's undoing!

Robin of Sherwood knows every last trick.
Barb or Marion? He can take his pick.
He is handsome and brave,
And the girls, they all crave,
A fuck from his very large dick!

On the rack, Barbara`s courage contracted,
Her lover`s name was quickly extracted.
For the Sheriff it`s not good,
It`s that damned Robin Hood.
Her punishment must be hard and protracted.

Barb's confession she must now be ruing,
As she's in for a whole load of screwing.
The Dungeon Master will dog 'er,
And on the morrow he'll flog 'er.
This could be brave Robin's undoing!

Love those limericks. Keep them coming guys!

And @settantuno! Love the illustration! Keep them coming too!

Oh, and for fun … a prize to any of my readers who can identify what the troubadour’s ballad in the chapter is a parody of. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But, if I may make a suggestion, it’s usually customary in the case of a wife’s indiscretions for a wife’s aggrieved husband to demand that she be publicly flogged … taken to the post in the town market square on the day of your choice, stripped to the waist and whipped soundly … the number of strokes to be laid on to be determined by you, the aggrieved. I might add that the customary minimum is twenty-five.”

Me thinks Lady Moore is getting lucky with such a sentence. Tree would have brought her to the market square and had her neck stretched properly...
hang 998 A.jpg
She won't be unfaithful again!
Hang 481 A.jpg

Oh, and for fun … a prize to any of my readers who can identify what the troubadour’s ballad in the chapter is a parody of. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This song!

The Court Balladeer sang a song,
'Bout when Boston MTA got it wrong.
They tried fleecing the riders,
Like the worst of providers,
And created the most God-awful pong!

(What this has got to do with the story I have no idea!)

This song!

The Court Balladeer sang a song,
'Bout when Boston MTA got it wrong.
They tried fleecing the riders,
Like the worst of providers,
And created the most God-awful pong!

(What this has got to do with the story I have no idea!)
YES, well done. And apologies to Steiner and Hawes and to the Kingston Trio..

:ole:

And no, you shall not be bored with Robin Hood and his merry men, this time!
For once, I was not reading ahead! :roto2palm::roto2palm::roto2palm::roto2palm:

But some chronicles give an alternative version of these events!:icon_writing:

Sherrif : “Did she really name that outlaw 'Robin Hood'!?”

Dungeon Master : “Yes, M’Lord! She has plainly confessed it”

Sherrif : “Dungeon Master! Take a seat, and listen to me!”

Dungeon Master (sits down) : “M’Lord?”

Sherrif : “Dungeon Master! What I have heard from that Robin Hood, is, that he, and another scoundrel, nicknamed ‘Little John’, have been dueling with their sticks! You heard it! Dueling with their sticks! I also heard, there is also a certain Father Tuck in his company, a lewd pervert who has been kicked out of every monastery, because his behavior was way beyond even their usual behind-closed-doors practices! Well, our Robin Hood has climbed on that said Father Tuck’s back after the latter has lifted up his frock! Damn, man, that Robin hood wears a fancy green attire, with leg tights! Panties, for God’s sake! His gang is called the merry men! Why would they call themselves like that!? Just think!? Imagine what sort of perverted scenes the trees in Sherwood Forest have been witnessing since these outlaws dwell around there! I wonder how these oaks still can grow leaves, so shocked they must be! They have most likely seen more acorns around them, than they ever have produced themselves! Gay as hell, that Robin Hood is, and now, Barb confesses about she and him… Man! Are you sure, we are talking about the same ‘Robin Hood’? Carry on with the interrogation, Dungeon Master, she is lying to us!”

Dungeon Master : “But M'Lord, there is a certain Lady Marian with that Robin Hood, I heard…!?”

Sherrif : “Window dressing, man, window dressing! We better capture her, bring her here, put her on the rack for good measure, one never knows what we can extract from her, and then I will show her what a real man is like! Once she is of no more use, we can always send her to Cruxton Abbey! Old Wraggie will certainly be pleased to add her to his service staff!”

Back
Top Bottom