A Tribute to Steve Cordero

Go to CruxDreams.com
A long, LONG time ago, when I first became aware of sites which appealed to my interest in crux, one artist was pre-eminent. Apart from his extraordinary images, I wanted to learn about him. I heard he was a NYC attorney! So as not to bust his confidentiality, I also admit to to being born in NYC, Queens, and have a law degree as well.
I thought his work was amazing! He is one of the absolutely classic crux artists. He disappeared for a LONG time but has incredibly REAPPEARED on a WITCH thread elsewhere on this forum. But I want all newcomers to be aware of his classic works, his legacy and contributions.
The first I saw was "Nynia". Being Irish, I especially appreciate the red hair! :)

Attachments

• 1 chains.jpg
    1 chains.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 383
  • 2 scourge.jpg
    2 scourge.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 3 walk.jpg
    3 walk.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 4 nail.jpg
    4 nail.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 281
So these are the last 4 I have in the Nynia series, and they seem to be in a different style than the others. I always wondered why if Steve chooses to comment.

Attachments

• Xcrux.jpg
    Xcrux.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 283
  • crux3.jpg
    crux3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 261
  • crux2.jpg
    crux2.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 250
  • crux1.jpg
    crux1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 259
Thank you so much, @robn13 I'm humbled to know you still remember and appreciate my work after such a long time.

I originally used pencil, ink, art markers, and colored pencils then advanced to using Photoshop to paint my renderings as that was the method developed at the turn of the century in the comic book industry. I bought a great tutorial CD set (remember those!) to learn how to do comic book-style Photoshop painting, as I'm a frustrated comic book artist at heart. All my work since then is done in that style, including THE WITCH.

As to your question on positionS, the 7 renderings you posted were part of my first attempt at doing a crux series. They are based on my original story about Nynia, the midwife sentenced to death along with all the household slaves after the murder of their master. Renderings crux2 and crux3 go to that mini-series. I also tried different crux positions based on the Last Temptation of Christ (crux1) and Saint Andrew's cross (Xcrux).

Well, I'm actually the one humbled and honored after so many years, so let's get on with it!
For me "Petra" was Steves ultimate work.
I mean a seamless transition between Christ and Petra! As a Catholic kid, HOT DAMN!!!

Attachments

• 0 title.jpg
    0 title.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 1 Petra+Christ.jpg
    1 Petra+Christ.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 2 insurgent.jpg
    2 insurgent.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 190
She loved Him, she witnessed His agony, she wanted revenge and fought with the Zealots, one of whom was her lover, against the tyranny of Rome!

But she was caught and her compatriots slain in battle. The Romans were vengeful...

Attachments

• 3 caningA.jpg
    3 caningA.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 3 caningB.jpg
    3 caningB.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 3 scourging1.jpg
    3 scourging1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 242
Note that two of the images are the same, but one with, and another without , background.
Of course also all of these images are original art and at least some 20 years plus old.
But before AI takes over the world, DAMN these images are beautiful and HOT!
:ole:

Last edited:
Thank you so much, @robn13 I'm humbled to know you still remember and appreciate my work after such a long time.

I originally used pencil, ink, art markers, and colored pencils then advanced to using Photoshop to paint my renderings as that was the method developed at the turn of the century in the comic book industry. I bought a great tutorial CD set (remember those!) to learn how to do comic book-style Photoshop painting, as I'm a frustrated comic book artist at heart. All my work since then is done in that style, including THE WITCH.

As to your question on positionS, the 7 renderings you posted were part of my first attempt at doing a crux series. They are based on my original story about Nynia, the midwife sentenced to death along with all the household slaves after the murder of their master. Renderings crux2 and crux3 go to that mini-series. I also tried different crux positions based on the Last Temptation of Christ (crux1) and Saint Andrew's cross (Xcrux).
If you ever want to do another Petra or Helena... ohhh, I can dream.

Steve, you are one of my favorite artists and a major inspiration!

I too would like to add my appreciation of Steve's brilliant work. The second in this series called scourge is an image that will live for forever and even now, years on, it is one of the best images i have of such a scene. The first time I saw it I thought my brain had been tazered and I love it still and I think if a preference were to be issued, I loved Steve's early, pre-photoshop stuff. Many thanks Steve for your brilliant work of the past.
Yours Greg

Without boring anyone with details, I think Steve's comment regarding comic book art and methodology clued me in. Comic books were central to my upbringing in NYC.

Scourged, caned, AND crowned. Note again the presence and absence of background details.

Attachments

• 3 scourging2A.jpg
    3 scourging2A.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 3 scourging2B.jpg
    3 scourging2B.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 4 crowningA.jpg
    4 crowningA.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 4 crowningB.jpg
    4 crowningB.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 184
I have no clue regarding an appropriate attribution for the literary accompaniment to Petra. It contains all Steve's brilliant illustrations and rather amateurish ones as well. But the writing is first rate and it's one of the HOTTEST crux stories I've ever read.
If anyone else wants to upload it, that would be great. Otherwise I'll figure it out. It's 6MB and it tells me the file is too large, even zipped.

Also check out "Nynia Returns" from 2006. Just search and it'll pop up!

Back
Top Bottom