Alice, Daughter of Barabbas

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 618799

“Thank you ma’am.” Alice counted herself lucky to have an employer as considerate as Ruth. Ruth was the wife of a wealthy merchant, and Alice came in daily to help her with chores, mainly because Ruth’s joints were all painful and inflamed, but also because she knew that Ruth enjoyed her company. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Take care, Alice!”

View attachment 618800

Alice began the walk home. It was more difficult than usual, Jerusalem was crowded for the Passover feast, and the Romans had brought in extra troops to keep order. She was carrying a basket of fruit and vegetables which she’d bought earlier with her meagre wages. She hugged it to herself – it could easily get stolen in this crowd.

She realised that people were trying to get close to one of those itinerant preachers that tended to appear at this time of year from the countryside. This one was supposed to be able to heal people. She wondered if he could help her mother.

Alice dismissed the thought. She would never get near him, and she couldn’t afford him anyway. Nobody could help her mother. Her father Joseph Barabbas had spent the last of his savings on doctors, and now he was destitute and Elizabeth his wife was no better.

Nobody could heal the pain in Alice’s heart either. It had been at Passover three years ago that Nathan, the man she loved and had expected to marry, had got mixed up in some trouble and had died in agony on a Roman cross on the hill of Golgotha, just outside the city. Alice had stayed with him, sitting beneath his cross all day and all night and most of the next day until he had surrendered to the nails. From that day to this she had never gone near Golgotha. Too many terrible memories.

View attachment 618801

Eventually she fought her way to the house which she still shared with her parents, and probably always would now. Although she was only 23, most women were married well before they were twenty. Alice’s hope for marriage had died with Nathan on Golgotha.

“Mum! Dad! It’s me! I got some nice vegetables and fruit!”

View attachment 618802

“Shh!” said Joseph Barabbas, “You’re mother’s sleeping!”

He ushered her into the back yard, then her father embraced her. “Oh, Alice, you’re a good girl. If it wasn’t for you, we’d starve. I daren’t leave her!”

“How is she?”

“Sleeping now, but she’s had a better day. We were laughing earlier.”

“Laughing? What about?”

“That Jesus of Nazareth. He only went and kicked over all the merchant’s tables outside the temple! Filthy money grabbers, robbing innocent folk of their money so they can present offerings!”

View attachment 618803

Alice turned away. “But, Dad! That’s where Ruth’s husband works! That’s what pays my wages!”

“Oh.” The smile disappeared from Joseph’s face. “I hadn’t thought of that!”

Alice began to prepare her vegetables. ‘Bloody do-gooders,’ she thought. ‘Why don’t they stay in the countryside and leave us alone?’

She put some water into a cooking pot and took it back and set it over the fire to heat up, taking the opportunity to kiss her sleeping mother as she did so. She returned to the yard where she sat peeling and slicing the vegetables.

View attachment 618804

She smelt him before she saw him. .

“DA….” She tried to alert her father, but a filthy paw was clasped over her mouth. He grinned at her, revealing a set of rotten teeth. Alice stared in shock.

View attachment 618805

“You be nice to me, and everything will be OK. Try anything, and I’ll break your neck and then have you!”

He pushed her up against a wall and began pawing at her clothes. She was almost surprised when he began to gurgle, and blood started running from his mouth. Was that really her knife, buried deep into his chest? Was it her hand, covered in a stranger’s blood?

View attachment 618806

“ALICE!” Her father’s anguished cry.

“Septimus?” A stranger’s voice. “Where’s this pretty Jewish bitch you were telling us about? Septimus? SEPTIMUS?”

Septimus, if that was his name, collapsed to the ground, clearly dead. In disbelief, Alice gazed at the body, then at her shocked father, then at the two equally shocked Roman soldiers who had just arrived. Finally, she looked at her bloody hand.

View attachment 618807

Joseph recovered first. “It was me. I killed him!”

“What’s your name?” One of the soldiers was a centurion, and took command of the situation.

“Joseph, sir. Joseph Barabbas.”

“What’s her name?”

“Alice…she’s my daughter. Please! My wife is sick… he tried to attack Alice – you have to understand!”

“I understand all right. Your daughter has killed a Roman soldier. You’re coming with us, Alice! With a bit of luck I’ll get to crucify you myself!”

Alice heard the word ‘crucify’, and panicked. She grabbed the knife, hoping to use it on herself. But they were too quick for her. The centurion grabbed her wrist and the knife clattered to the ground.

“Look! She’s trying to kill us, too! Murdering bitch!”

“I wasn’t, I was trying to kill myself! Let me kill myself! Please! Have mercy! I cannot be crucified! My Nathan was crucified! It was horrible! Please! No!”

“It was self defence! He tried to attack her! You must see that!” Joseph was pleading.

“You can explain all that to the Governor. But I’ll warn you now, he’s in a foul mood – he hates Passover!”

Strong hands gripped her arms. A vision of Nathan, writhing and screaming on his cross, filled her mind. This could not be happening to her!

Joseph followed them, still pleading, as the soldiers dragged the screaming Alice off into the crowded street.

View attachment 618808
Wonderful!! Great!! Bravo Sir:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Alice was a learning process for me, and now I review the images, I fear some of them are pretty hopeless.

In fact the whole thing was hopeless, the story was poorly told, I was in to much of a hurry.

If anyone thinks I've been a bit quiet over the last little while, correct. Alice deserves so much better.

So this is Alice Barabbas version 2. The plot is essentially the same, but with a bit more filling, some of the better images from the original will be here, but also quite a few new ones. I don't intend to keep you waiting very long, most of the work is now done.
Wow, Wragg - what an unexpected and pleasant surprise!
Barely four months after your debut in photo manipulation story illustration, you are giving us a remake of 'Alice Barabbas'. This is most exciting!

As a debut, it was an ambitious undertaking by any standards, and a magnificent achievement. We are our own harshest critics, and many of us have revisited our pictures to make improvements (Damian, Jedakk, myself and numerous others included.)

So, whilst you really should not beat yourself up, your revision is absolutely laudable, especially in view of the quality of the results you are now producing. I suspect the desire to make improvements stems largely from the fact that you learned so much so rapidly during the original project.

Manipulating figures into clothing and maintaining consistent continuity throughout a series is highly ambitious - and your latest pictures show close attention to detail in form, composition, scale and lighting. They also express emotion and exude an atmosphere which complements the new text. And like the pictures, the story now has greater depth and detail.

Version 1 stands on its own considerable merits (ambitious but definitely not 'hopeless'!) Without it, we would not be getting Version 2. But I am delighted that you feel inspired to remake the story, and I can certainly relate to the quest for perfection. I congratulate you on your perseverence. Thanks for sharing your latest work. :)

alice-barabbas-t-shirt.jpg :D

“Give my love to your parents, and I do hope you find your dear mother in better health when you get home.”

View attachment 618799

“Thank you ma’am.” Alice counted herself lucky to have an employer as considerate as Ruth. Ruth was the wife of a wealthy merchant, and Alice came in daily to help her with chores, mainly because Ruth’s joints were all painful and inflamed, but also because she knew that Ruth enjoyed her company. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Take care, Alice!”

View attachment 618800

Alice began the walk home. It was more difficult than usual, Jerusalem was crowded for the Passover feast, and the Romans had brought in extra troops to keep order. She was carrying a basket of fruit and vegetables which she’d bought earlier with her meagre wages. She hugged it to herself – it could easily get stolen in this crowd.

She realised that people were trying to get close to one of those itinerant preachers that tended to appear at this time of year from the countryside. This one was supposed to be able to heal people. She wondered if he could help her mother.

Alice dismissed the thought. She would never get near him, and she couldn’t afford him anyway. Nobody could help her mother. Her father Joseph Barabbas had spent the last of his savings on doctors, and now he was destitute and Elizabeth his wife was no better.

Nobody could heal the pain in Alice’s heart either. It had been at Passover three years ago that Nathan, the man she loved and had expected to marry, had got mixed up in some trouble and had died in agony on a Roman cross on the hill of Golgotha, just outside the city. Alice had stayed with him, sitting beneath his cross all day and all night and most of the next day until he had surrendered to the nails. From that day to this she had never gone near Golgotha. Too many terrible memories.

View attachment 618801

Eventually she fought her way to the house which she still shared with her parents, and probably always would now. Although she was only 23, most women were married well before they were twenty. Alice’s hope for marriage had died with Nathan on Golgotha.

“Mum! Dad! It’s me! I got some nice vegetables and fruit!”

View attachment 618802

“Shh!” said Joseph Barabbas, “You’re mother’s sleeping!”

He ushered her into the back yard, then her father embraced her. “Oh, Alice, you’re a good girl. If it wasn’t for you, we’d starve. I daren’t leave her!”

“How is she?”

“Sleeping now, but she’s had a better day. We were laughing earlier.”

“Laughing? What about?”

“That Jesus of Nazareth. He only went and kicked over all the merchant’s tables outside the temple! Filthy money grabbers, robbing innocent folk of their money so they can present offerings!”

View attachment 618803

Alice turned away. “But, Dad! That’s where Ruth’s husband works! That’s what pays my wages!”

“Oh.” The smile disappeared from Joseph’s face. “I hadn’t thought of that!”

Alice began to prepare her vegetables. ‘Bloody do-gooders,’ she thought. ‘Why don’t they stay in the countryside and leave us alone?’

She put some water into a cooking pot and took it back and set it over the fire to heat up, taking the opportunity to kiss her sleeping mother as she did so. She returned to the yard where she sat peeling and slicing the vegetables.

View attachment 618804

She smelt him before she saw him. .

“DA….” She tried to alert her father, but a filthy paw was clasped over her mouth. He grinned at her, revealing a set of rotten teeth. Alice stared in shock.

View attachment 618805

“You be nice to me, and everything will be OK. Try anything, and I’ll break your neck and then have you!”

He pushed her up against a wall and began pawing at her clothes. She was almost surprised when he began to gurgle, and blood started running from his mouth. Was that really her knife, buried deep into his chest? Was it her hand, covered in a stranger’s blood?

View attachment 618806

“ALICE!” Her father’s anguished cry.

“Septimus?” A stranger’s voice. “Where’s this pretty Jewish bitch you were telling us about? Septimus? SEPTIMUS?”

Septimus, if that was his name, collapsed to the ground, clearly dead. In disbelief, Alice gazed at the body, then at her shocked father, then at the two equally shocked Roman soldiers who had just arrived. Finally, she looked at her bloody hand.

View attachment 618807

Joseph recovered first. “It was me. I killed him!”

“What’s your name?” One of the soldiers was a centurion, and took command of the situation.

“Joseph, sir. Joseph Barabbas.”

“What’s her name?”

“Alice…she’s my daughter. Please! My wife is sick… he tried to attack Alice – you have to understand!”

“I understand all right. Your daughter has killed a Roman soldier. You’re coming with us, Alice! With a bit of luck I’ll get to crucify you myself!”

Alice heard the word ‘crucify’, and panicked. She grabbed the knife, hoping to use it on herself. But they were too quick for her. The centurion grabbed her wrist and the knife clattered to the ground.

“Look! She’s trying to kill us, too! Murdering bitch!”

“I wasn’t, I was trying to kill myself! Let me kill myself! Please! Have mercy! I cannot be crucified! My Nathan was crucified! It was horrible! Please! No!”

“It was self defence! He tried to attack her! You must see that!” Joseph was pleading.

“You can explain all that to the Governor. But I’ll warn you now, he’s in a foul mood – he hates Passover!”

Strong hands gripped her arms. A vision of Nathan, writhing and screaming on his cross, filled her mind. This could not be happening to her!

Joseph followed them, still pleading, as the soldiers dragged the screaming Alice off into the crowded street.

View attachment 618808
Great stuff, thanks Mr W! I enjoyed your first version of Alice Barabbas very much so it was a very plesant suprise to find this re-worked version, fantastic! (Also one of my favorite themes) Thank's a lot for all your efforts!

Pontius Pilate was indeed in a foul mood by the time he saw Alice later that evening. After two hours of the attentions of the Romans Alice was not looking at her best, her smock by now filthy and torn.

Joseph had been excluded, but was standing outside the gate, watching. One of the Temple Priests had come with her, as she was a Jewess, but he just kept looking at her and licking his lips, no doubt thinking how good she’d look on a cross.

“Who’s this?” Pilate, frowning, looked with some curiosity at Alice.

AG011.jpg

“Alice Barabbas, sir. Murdered a Roman soldier called Septimus earlier this evening.”

“Did she indeed?” Pilate looked her over, thinking the same as the priest.

“He tried to rape me.” Alice looked at him in fear. “I was peeling vegetables, and…and it just happened.”

“She pleads self-defence, sir,” added the priest, his only, feeble, effort to defend her.

Pilate looked at Alice, then at the centurion.

“You don’t mean to tell me that a Roman soldier attempted to… have his way with this woman while she had a knife in her hand, do you?”

“Er, yes sir.”

“Pillock,” spat Pilate. “The army is going to the dogs. You’d think he’d have had more sense.”

Alice saw hope. “I didn’t mean to kill him, sir, I was just preparing a meal for my sick mother and…”

“Your mother’s sick is she, Alice Barabbas?”

“Yes, sir, I think she will die. Please, sir, have mercy on me. Your men have already made me suffer!”

He believed her. They would have already done what Septimus intended, and worse. But Palestine could not be ruled by kindness and compassion. She’d killed a Roman, and must pay the price.

“Well, I can’t help your mother. You have committed murder, you must be crucified.” He stood. “It’s getting late now, so do it tomorrow morning.”

“Ohhhh…..” Alice, weeping, sank to her knees, “Please… sir….please! No!”

AG012.jpg

Joseph was shouting desperate pleas for mercy.

For a moment, Pilate wavered. He wondered about simply garrotting her, as an act of mercy. Maybe even scourging her and letting her go. Then he listened to the noise of the city at Passover. No. At any other time of year he could give in to these whims, but today he must be firm.

He looked at the centurion. “Do as I say. Crucify her.”

“Very good, sir,” the centurion snapped to attention. “Sir?”

“What?”

“I arrested her, sir, may I lead the crucifixion myself?”

“Of course you can. I don’t care who does it, as long as it’s done! Dismiss!”

They dragged a wailing Alice back to the cells to await the morning.

They left Alice alone in the cell. Alone, that is, apart from her terrifying thoughts. Nathan’s screams as he had been nailed to his cross had haunted her every night since then. In an instant her own life had gone from ordinary routine to horror, and now she had one more night left before she would be nailed to a cross, just as Nathan had been. Tomorrow night she might still be alive – Nathan had lived for over thirty hours.

Hour after endless hour hanging on a cross… how could she bear it? Nathan had been a strong man, but the nails has broken him, and he’d whimpered like a dog. In the dimming light of the cell she looked at her slender wrists, trying but failing to imagine how she’d cope with having spikes driven through them.

He had been crucified naked. Most people that she had seen crucified had been naked, though not all. She pulled her smock around herself. Would they strip her, too? She wasn’t ashamed of her body, but she couldn’t imagine it displayed like that for all to see. She resolved to try and stop them stripping her.

AG013.jpg

Alice shuddered, and it was not only from the cold. Tomorrow she, Alice Barabbas, was going to be crucified. Not some common criminal, or a Zealot, but her. Crucifixion was designed to deter people from making trouble, and Nathan’s crucifixion had certainly deterred her. It had given her such a terror of the cross that she had sworn never to do anything that might end in her crucifixion.

She rested her head back against the stone wall of the cell and groaned aloud. So how could this have happened to her? Despite her best efforts! Was her young life really going to end tomorrow, or, if she was unlucky, the day after? She groaned again. She’d heard of people who had lived for three days after being crucified, and she had certainly heard people pleading for death while hanging on their crosses. Nathan had done just that.

She lay down on the cold floor and wept. She wept for herself, for her father, who was now about to lose the two women who he held most dear, and for her mother. The shock of this would probably kill her.

She was physically and emotionally exhausted, and unbelievably, she fell asleep. She didn’t sleep for very long, though, soon enough she was laying naked on a cross, and she saw a fat Roman with rotten teeth raising an enormous hammer above her wrist, and she awoke screaming. There was a moment of relief when she realised that it was just a nightmare, followed by the gut wrenching realisation that the nightmare would come true within a very few hours.

Alice went to the corner of the cell and threw up.

She was awake still as the first rays of dawn began to light up the cell. She watched the cell door, dreading the moment….

…when it opened. There stood the Centurion. “Get up, girl! I’m taking you to Golgotha for your crucifixion!”

Pontius Pilate was indeed in a foul mood by the time he saw Alice later that evening. After two hours of the attentions of the Romans Alice was not looking at her best, her smock by now filthy and torn.

Joseph had been excluded, but was standing outside the gate, watching. One of the Temple Priests had come with her, as she was a Jewess, but he just kept looking at her and licking his lips, no doubt thinking how good she’d look on a cross.

“Who’s this?” Pilate, frowning, looked with some curiosity at Alice.

View attachment 619094

“Alice Barabbas, sir. Murdered a Roman soldier called Septimus earlier this evening.”

“Did she indeed?” Pilate looked her over, thinking the same as the priest.

“He tried to rape me.” Alice looked at him in fear. “I was peeling vegetables, and…and it just happened.”

“She pleads self-defence, sir,” added the priest, his only, feeble, effort to defend her.

Pilate looked at Alice, then at the centurion.

“You don’t mean to tell me that a Roman soldier attempted to… have his way with this woman while she had a knife in her hand, do you?”

“Er, yes sir.”

“Pillock,” spat Pilate. “The army is going to the dogs. You’d think he’d have had more sense.”

Alice saw hope. “I didn’t mean to kill him, sir, I was just preparing a meal for my sick mother and…”

“Your mother’s sick is she, Alice Barabbas?”

“Yes, sir, I think she will die. Please, sir, have mercy on me. Your men have already made me suffer!”

He believed her. They would have already done what Septimus intended, and worse. But Palestine could not be ruled by kindness and compassion. She’d killed a Roman, and must pay the price.

“Well, I can’t help your mother. You have committed murder, you must be crucified.” He stood. “It’s getting late now, so do it tomorrow morning.”

“Ohhhh…..” Alice, weeping, sank to her knees, “Please… sir….please! No!”

View attachment 619095

Joseph was shouting desperate pleas for mercy.

For a moment, Pilate wavered. He wondered about simply garrotting her, as an act of mercy. Maybe even scourging her and letting her go. Then he listened to the noise of the city at Passover. No. At any other time of year he could give in to these whims, but today he must be firm.

He looked at the centurion. “Do as I say. Crucify her.”

“Very good, sir,” the centurion snapped to attention. “Sir?”

“What?”

“I arrested her, sir, may I lead the crucifixion myself?”

“Of course you can. I don’t care who does it, as long as it’s done! Dismiss!”

They dragged a wailing Alice back to the cells to await the morning.
This Pilate seems much like an ancestor of Archbishop Wragg... a most holy and just man!!!

They left Alice alone in the cell. Alone, that is, apart from her terrifying thoughts. Nathan’s screams as he had been nailed to his cross had haunted her every night since then. In an instant her own life had gone from ordinary routine to horror, and now she had one more night left before she would be nailed to a cross, just as Nathan had been. Tomorrow night she might still be alive – Nathan had lived for over thirty hours.

Hour after endless hour hanging on a cross… how could she bear it? Nathan had been a strong man, but the nails has broken him, and he’d whimpered like a dog. In the dimming light of the cell she looked at her slender wrists, trying but failing to imagine how she’d cope with having spikes driven through them.

He had been crucified naked. Most people that she had seen crucified had been naked, though not all. She pulled her smock around herself. Would they strip her, too? She wasn’t ashamed of her body, but she couldn’t imagine it displayed like that for all to see. She resolved to try and stop them stripping her.

View attachment 619097

Alice shuddered, and it was not only from the cold. Tomorrow she, Alice Barabbas, was going to be crucified. Not some common criminal, or a Zealot, but her. Crucifixion was designed to deter people from making trouble, and Nathan’s crucifixion had certainly deterred her. It had given her such a terror of the cross that she had sworn never to do anything that might end in her crucifixion.

She rested her head back against the stone wall of the cell and groaned aloud. So how could this have happened to her? Despite her best efforts! Was her young life really going to end tomorrow, or, if she was unlucky, the day after? She groaned again. She’d heard of people who had lived for three days after being crucified, and she had certainly heard people pleading for death while hanging on their crosses. Nathan had done just that.

She lay down on the cold floor and wept. She wept for herself, for her father, who was now about to lose the two women who he held most dear, and for her mother. The shock of this would probably kill her.

She was physically and emotionally exhausted, and unbelievably, she fell asleep. She didn’t sleep for very long, though, soon enough she was laying naked on a cross, and she saw a fat Roman with rotten teeth raising an enormous hammer above her wrist, and she awoke screaming. There was a moment of relief when she realised that it was just a nightmare, followed by the gut wrenching realisation that the nightmare would come true within a very few hours.

Alice went to the corner of the cell and threw up.

She was awake still as the first rays of dawn began to light up the cell. She watched the cell door, dreading the moment….

…when it opened. There stood the Centurion. “Get up, girl! I’m taking you to Golgotha for your crucifixion!”
Diligent, diligent, Wragg!

Most people that she had seen crucified had been naked, though not all. She pulled her smock around herself. Would they strip her, too? She wasn’t ashamed of her body, but she couldn’t imagine it displayed like that for all to see. She resolved to try and stop them stripping her.

Pilate only hires Tree relatives... Good luck, Alice!!!

Everyone hates Italians...
:oops:

But they love Italian food, and clothes, and cars . . . . .
1438990067345.jpegVersace.jpg1200px-1970_Fiat_500_L_--_2011_DC_1.jpg err, sorry, I mean this one Ferrari-750x393.jpg

Tree, do you "dress like an Italian" ?
DressLikeAnItalian_XS.jpg

Actually the ones I've known here in Oz look more like this :D
museo-timeline-33.jpgABC-ARCH-HI-154.jpg144958476-612x612.jpg
(our immigrants came from the south, like America's)

Ambitious, Wragg, and well done, some effective pics in there and a tragic story. The innocent crushed by the relentless wheels of fate, poor girl. It was ever thus.
I particularly like pic 3, where she walks through the town and remembers her fiance.

But they love Italian food, and clothes, and cars . . . . .
View attachment 619201View attachment 619200View attachment 619198 err, sorry, I mean this one View attachment 619197

Tree, do you "dress like an Italian" ?
View attachment 619199

Actually the ones I've known here in Oz look more like this :D
View attachment 619204View attachment 619203View attachment 619202
(our immigrants came from the south, like America's)

Ambitious, Wragg, and well done, some effective pics in there and a tragic story. The innocent crushed by the relentless wheels of fate, poor girl. It was ever thus.
I particularly like pic 3, where she walks through the town and remembers her fiance.

I can't see that pic 3 in the new story yet?

I can't see that pic 3 in the new story yet?

Thanks Bob! A manip within a manip - a first for me!

If anyone wants the original Nathan, it's not part of the story, but here it is. As it was a 'dream' pic, I haven't tidied it up properly.

Nathan crucified full length frontal.jpg

Now we come to start overlapping with the original story, so some images you'll know, and some have been reworked:

She was too terrified to get up, he had to haul her to her feet. Two legionaries took her as they left the jailhouse, and assorted spectators fell in behind, hoping, no doubt, for a front row view as she was nailed to her cross. They crossed in front of the paved area where Pilate was, even at that hour, already trying another prisoner.

AG014.jpg

To her surprise, Pilate called them over. Had he changed his mind?

Pilate, for his part, had seen Alice coming by, and been struck by a thought. He’d forgotten her name, but remembered that she was the girl with the sick mother who had killed a moron soldier who’d thought it clever to attack her while she had a knife in her hand. But this guy, Jesus of Nazareth, seemed to have done nothing more than upset the priests, who were now demanding his blood. He’d already had him scourged, but they still wanted him crucified. And one of the priests before him now had appeared with Alice yesterday.

“Listen,” he said to them. “I’ll tell you what I am going to do. It’s Passover. I will release a prisoner for you. I do it every year. So, who do you want me to crucify? This man, Jesus, or this woman….?” He looked at the centurion quizzically.

“Alice, sir. Alice Barabbas.” The centurion was devastated. He’d been looking forward to today. He knew who he wanted to crucify.

“Alice Barabbas, that’s right, she who you were, ahem, ‘defending’ yesterday. I will remind you that she has a sick mother, and you mentioned that she acted in self defence. I will happily release either of these prisoners for you. Choose.”

AG015.jpg

Alice looked at the other prisoner. He didn’t look much, but then again he, like her, was not looking at his best after spending too much time with the Romans.

AG016.jpg

She didn’t wish him ill, but, unconscious of any irony, she looked up towards heaven and prayed that they would choose him and not her.

The priests conferred in whispers, clearly nonplussed by this turn of events.

Alice shook with tension. The Nazarene looked impassive. The crowd outside the gate were having the time of their lives, half were shouting for Jesus, half for Alice. Alice heard her father’s voice pleading for her to be freed. Pilate tapped a scroll impatiently on his hand. “Gentlemen, we haven’t got all day!”

To Alice’s disgust, the Priest who’d been with her yesterday said, “Must we choose? There are enough crosses on Golgotha! Crucify them both!”

“I will not. I have made my decision. Choose, damn you!”

By now, somehow, the crowd had cottoned on to Joseph’s plight, and they were nearly all on Alice’s side. “A-LICE! A-LICE!” they chanted.

Alice shut her eyes. She couldn’t bear this uncertainty. She’d spent the night grappling with the enormity of being condemned to crucifixion. Now there was doubt, and with doubt, hope. Would she live, or would she die?

AG017.jpg

Suddenly the priest spoke. “We have made our decision. Crucify Alice.”

Alice felt physically sick. Her father’s cry of despair went through her like a knife. The centurion smirked like a spoiled kid.

“If I were you, I would get back to Galilee and never come near Jerusalem again. Get him out of my sight!” Pilate turned to Alice, as they hustled the Nazarene away. “You killed a Roman, he didn’t. The priests have chosen wisely. Take her and crucify her!”

Back
Top Bottom