Cam's Camera: Mythology

Go to CruxDreams.com
Zeus.jpg
Drawing level with the Olympian peaks, Zeus is descending towards his eyrie at the end of his flight. I have been unable to identify the source for this peak, which provides such dramatic, diagonal emphases to the composition. The eagle and its prey together occupy a triangle of sky at the upper right. The talons are closed firmly around the girl's wrist and hand as she inclines in the slipstream. I have also been unable to identify the model, whose neatly extracted hair flows behind her, adding to the dynamic sensation.

Whilst the composition and blending of inserted components are successful in conveying height and flight, perhaps the most convincing aspect of the picture is its consistent lighting. Low elevation sunlight reveals the angular form of the rocks, and whilst striking the leading edge of the wings, it also highlights the breast feathers, the retracted talons and the underside of the tail feathers. This can only be achieved by low elevation sunlight, and exactly the same lighting angle applies to the girl.

Sourcing components with this degree of consistency is usually either a matter of luck or the result of a time-consuming search for compatible ingredients. In this case, I believe it was mostly the latter, and the effort has paid off with a high degree of realism. Well done, Kam! :)

Drawing level with the Olympian peaks, Zeus is descending towards his eyrie at the end of his flight. I have been unable to identify the source for this peak, which provides such dramatic, diagonal emphases to the composition. The eagle and its prey together occupy a triangle of sky at the upper right. The talons are closed firmly around the girl's wrist and hand as she inclines in the slipstream. I have also been unable to identify the model, whose neatly extracted hair flows behind her, adding to the dynamic sensation.

Whilst the composition and blending of inserted components are successful in conveying height and flight, perhaps the most convincing aspect of the picture is its consistent lighting. Low elevation sunlight reveals the angular form of the rocks, and whilst striking the leading edge of the wings, it also highlights the breast feathers, the retracted talons and the underside of the tail feathers. This can only be achieved by low elevation sunlight, and exactly the same lighting angle applies to the girl.

Sourcing components with this degree of consistency is usually either a matter of luck or the result of a time-consuming search for compatible ingredients. In this case, I believe it was mostly the latter, and the effort has paid off with a high degree of realism. Well done, Kam! :)
Many thanks for the laudatory comment Bob !
The background is a picture of Mytikas, the highest peak of Mt Olympus which I found on Wikipedia. I am unable to help identify the model. As sometimes happens to me, I failed to make a note of who she is or where i found her when copying the image. She was the hardest part of the composition to find of course, as models who appear to be "in flight" aren't that numerous. I think this one was caught in a jump or saumersault. For the rest i was very fortunate in finding that the light was consistent in background, eagle and girl and hardly needed any correction.

Back
Top Bottom