Clay and Bone (or The Torment of the Warrior Queen)

Go to CruxDreams.com
I’ll never forget the day the Invaders left our village. The events of that day burn as clearly in my mind now as they ever have—a dizzying mirage of blood and bronze and fire and bone. I’ve heard it said that our clan was the first to repel the strangers from our lands, though of course the deeds of the Queen of the Iceni became far greater known in the end. If you’ll kindly stoke the fire and allow me a seat, I’ll tell you the tale. Should only take until supper’s ready.

I was not nearly so old then, just a scrawny lad of eighteen years. Still had plenty of color in my hair if you can believe it—bright copper red. I’ll admit, though, not much more muscle on the bones than I have now. I had tried my hand rather unsuccessfully at a few trades but at that time I was apprenticed to the village potter, so I was always covered in mud.

I don’t remember a time before the Invaders. They came to our lands before I was born, terrifying with their swirling scarlet cloaks and snarling horses, shouting in a strange language. They surrounded our village with their banners, helped themselves to our crops and our wells; some even moved into our homes. Our clan had a Chieftain, but he was made subservient to their commander. They instituted a strange new order and imposed strange new laws. Our warriors were made to work for them. Their camp stood due west of our village, and each night the black silhouette of their command tent seemed to swallow the setting sun.

Over many years, their fast grip on our daily lives relaxed somewhat as their perception of us shifted and they stopped seeing us as a threat. Their presence, however, remained a constant. And that’s what I grew up with. I knew they weren’t us but I understood that they had to be there. I never knew anything different.

The day that all changed, I remember so clearly, was the first day of the year that felt like spring. The granite sky of winter still hung heavy and dark overhead, but it felt warmer, and a light, fresh mist hung in the air. You could finally shed your heavy cloak. It was also that time of year that makes people wild, drunk with lust, itching to do whatever it took to set their blood moving after the dark and docile winter. For the soldiers, that often meant helping themselves to our women and girls.

I was taking a fresh batch of bowls out of the kiln when I heard the screams. Being a hotheaded youngster, I didn’t think twice before springing into action. I dropped the bowl I was holding, shattering it on the ground, (had things transpired differently I would have been in big trouble for that) and sprinted out of the hut. Just around the other side of the hill, in the center of the village, I discovered the source of the distress.

One of the strangers, a stocky youth not much older than myself but about twice as large, had grabbed hold of a girl and pinned her up against the side of the Chieftain’s hut. She squirmed vainly in his grip as he lunged at her, repeatedly trying to kiss her by force. His colleague, taller and thinner than he was but not much less intimidating, leaned against the building, blocking her only pathway of escape. As I approached, she turned her face in my direction, and I froze, my stomach lurching.

The girl trapped in his swarthy, meaty hands was Mared, the girl I loved; the girl I had been somewhat unsuccessfully courting for years; the girl I intended to betroth myself to that wild, drunken springtime. There she was: a girl the same age as myself, her slender white arms pinned to her sides, her thick, jet-black hair tousled and bedraggled, her ice-blue eyes wide with terror, pleading with me to do anything to stop this strange foreign beast from defiling her. Over-stimulated and under-thinking, I simply charged at the soldiers, shouting in my own tongue (what must have sounded like gibberish to them) “Get away from her!

I pummeled my fists into the taller man. He barely flinched. The stocky one took one of his hands off Mared to swiftly draw his short-sword and pummel me hard in the gut with the hilt. I doubled over, winded and nauseous. The back of the taller one’s hand collided with the side of my head and knocked me to the ground, black and white spots swirling in my eyesight. He put his boot on the side of my head to pin me down, helpless, while he took a rope from his satchel and bound my hands tightly behind my back.

Though Mared screamed and pleaded with them to leave me alone, she still had her wits about her, and seized on my momentary distraction. The stocky one let go just long enough for her to grab his other wrist with her free hand, lean in, and sink her teeth in.

He let go and recoiled, yelping angrily. She bolted away from him, but the taller one caught her in his arms and trapped her, one arm around her middle, the other clutching her hair. Nursing the bite mark on his hand, the stocky one turned to Mared with fury in his dark eyes.

“Feral little bitch!” he exclaimed. He spoke his own tongue, which I couldn’t speak myself, but I had picked up enough over the years to understand him.

“You’ll need to break the beast before you can ride it, Blandus,” his friend laughed.

“I’ll break her alright, Petronius,” Blandus growled. “Hold her there. I’m getting the scorpion.”

Time slowed to a crawl then. I watched, helpless, my face in the mud, as the soldier went and took from his saddlebag the most terrifying instrument of torture I’d ever seen. It was a whip, of sorts, made of six heavy rawhide cords bolted to a wooden handle. The cords were knotted, and through some of the knots were inserted tiny jagged bones or shards of broken pottery. With a rush of sickness. I wondered if any of the shards were from pots I had made.

Petronius spun Mared around, holding her tightly in place even as she fought against his grip with every ounce of her strength. Blandus came up behind her, grabbed the neckline of her woolen dress, and ripped the entire back apart with an awful rending sound. Her bare back shone ethereally pale in the grim gray daylight. She screamed and cursed them, then the curses dissolved into pleading sobs as her blue eyes settled on the terrifying “scorpion”.

More people surrounded us now. Invader soldiers watched bemusedly, lounging against walls or tree trunks. My fellow villagers meanwhile, emerged onto the green trepidatiously, their faces

overcast with mixtures of confusion, fear, and grief. The aged Chieftain didn’t intervene, but out of the corner of my eye I saw him murmur to a young man, who promptly ran off toward the river.

“Hold her still!” The stocky soldier commanded. He stepped back and raised the whip. The shards of clay and bone rattled ominously.

With all of his considerable strength, he swept the evil cords down in a savage blow across Mared’s back. She immediately convulsed, staggering forward into Petronius’ grip. The lash carved a wide, ragged streak of parallel scarlet lacerations across her back, as though some ravenous animal had clawed open her skin. She howled—a piteous, unending, almost childlike howl. Tears gushed from her eyes and with a start I realized they were falling from mine as well. She looked at me as she struggled to stand, her gaze pleading with me to do something, anything to stop them.

Instead-- and it’s taken me many years to get over the shame enough to admit this—I simply stared back, frozen, not knowing what I could possibly do.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately) I didn’t have to decide.

You see, in addition to being the object of my every waking desire, Mared was special in another way. Her mother was Rhianon, the Chieftain’s daughter, leader of the warrior caste and the fiercest soldier in the clan. We called her our Warrior Queen. It was said that Rhianon was the only one of us the Invaders’ commander truly feared. I don’t know if it was true, but it would explain everything that happened next.

It seemed to happen in the blink of an eye. One instant, Blandus was twirling the flagrum in his hands. The next, he suddenly had a spearpoint pressed to his throat and the whip was on the ground.

“Release my child now,” hissed Rhianon, holding the spear, “or I will gut and flay the both of you where you stand.”

She had been bathing at the riverside when the Chief, her father, had sent the young man to find her. She came quickly, dressing only as much as needed—she wore only loose wool trousers under a medium-length underdress, and she was barefoot—and taking time only to grab her spear. Nevertheless, she was a fearsome presence, tall, toned, and powerful. She looked much like her daughter. Though around twice our age, she had the same raven-black hair, piercing blue eyes and high, noble cheekbones.

For a long moment, nobody moved.

“Do you think I’m playing with you?” she roared, digging the spearpoint in and drawing the tiniest bead of blood from his stubbly neck.

He nodded silently to Petronius and stepped back from the spear. Petronius let go of Mared, who collapsed onto the grass, curled in a ball. She had not stopped sobbing. Rhianon ran to her daughter’s side, dropping her spear, and knelt. She murmured soft words of comfort and stroked Mared’s hair, while simultaneously keeping her eyes on the soldiers, her gaze full of venom and steel.

Before anyone else could move, a thunder of hooves from over the hill announced the Commander of the strangers, riding up on his gray horse, accompanied by two lieutenants. He had thinning hair and pudgy, ruddy cheeks, and concealed his short stature by remaining on horseback as often as he could. He whistled to halt his mount and gestured briskly.

“Petronius! Blandus!” He barked. “What’s the meaning of this?”

The two youths stood sheepishly before their commanding officer. They spoke in hushed tones for several minutes, gesticulating feverishly, as the Commander listened and frowned, occasionally glancing over at Rhianon and the rest of the village.

“I see,” he finally said. “You will both be confined to barracks for the next fortnight.” The two men slumped, embarrassed. “And I’ll take over from here.”

As Blandus and Petronius were relieved of their weapons and sat down on a log under guard, the Commander dismounted and stepped into our midst, the other soldiers falling into formation around him. He looked around at the scene, then clicked his fingers.

“Get them up,” he said simply. The soldiers hoisted myself and the still-sniffling Mared to our feet. Rhianon shrugged off their hands and stood on her own. The Commander then spoke to the Chieftain, switching to our own tongue, heavily accented.

“I am placing these three under arrest,” he said. The men began to bind Mared and Rhianon’s wrists.

The Chieftain looked outraged.

“They have done nothing but defend themselves!” He cried. “These…boys…attacked them! They beat my granddaughter without any cause.”

“And they will be disciplined according to our procedures,” the Commander explained. “As for these three…” He drew his short-sword and gestured at us with the blade. “They are still subordinated of the Roman Empire and will be punished as would any colonial subject. This woman,” he jabbed the sword at Rhianon, “assaulted two legionaries of Rome, and as such—”

“She is chief of our warriors!”

“She is an insurgent and a criminal,” the Commander insisted, irritated, “and as such, I order her forthwith to be flogged!” He clicked his heels and marched back to his horse, ignoring the protestations of the Chieftain.

I turned to Mared with a knot of dread twisting in my stomach. She reached out with her bound hands and took hold of her mother’s arm, her lip trembling in terror. Rhianon pulled the girl close against her side.

“Mother, please!” Mared cried. “You mustn’t let these monsters hurt you! I won’t allow it!”

“Hush now, my girl,” Rhianon said softly. “I will not debase myself groveling before these small men. And I won’t let you suffer any more either!” Her blue eyes stared into the distance, her jaw tightly set.

It took a dozen of the burly foreign lads a mere matter of minutes to haul three tall, straight timbers from the edge of the camp, plant one end of each into the soft ground, and assemble them into a tall, pyramidal structure, lashed together with cords at the top. When they had finished, the Commander, once more sitting on horseback, barked an order to his nearest Lieutenant.

The gruff-looking officer hopped down and removed his helm, revealing a head of matted sandy-blonde hair. He retrieved the “scorpion” whip from the ground and approached the triangle. Rhianon’s two guards drew their swords and took hold of her arms to lead her away. Mared continued to cling to her mother’s arm.

“Please no, please no…” Mared whimpered.

Rhianon said nothing but shook off the soldiers’ grip, slipping out of her daughter’s fingers as well. Facing straight ahead, upright and proud, she walked herself slowly and deliberately to the posts. I moved close to Mared and took her hand in mine. Her fingers were cold and her hands shook. She squeezed my hand so tightly that mine went numb.

Rhianon closed her eyes and didn’t resist as the soldiers grabbed her shift and tore it callously to pieces in their hands, discarding the rags on the ground. She was naked to the waist then, wearing only her loose woolen trousers. Her skin was pale-white like the summer clouds, the breasts that had nursed Mared still firm, and she had the wiry, toned physique and proud shoulders of a warrior. The soldiers lifted her arms up over her head and bound her wrists securely to the timbers on either side of her. I saw a nearly imperceptible shiver run through her, and gooseflesh dotted her powerful back and arms. The effect was a curious mixture of power and vulnerability.

“By the power invested in me by the Emperor,” the Commander bellowed, his voice reverberating all around the village, as a funereal silence had fallen over us. “I sentence this mutinous woman to be flogged with forty-nine lashes of the scorpion! Lieutenant, execute.”

(continued)

The sandy-haired Lieutenant saluted. He shook the whip out to separate the cords, rattling the embedded shards menacingly. He shouted out the count of ‘one’.

It seemed that the entire village flinched in unison as the barbed tails collided with Rhianon’s back, raking ugly, bloody furrows across her shoulder blades. She jerked at the impact and her blue eyes sprang wide open, but she did not cry out. Mared, distraught, cried out in her place, a helpless sob of pity and terror. I squeezed her tighter.

“Be brave cariadh,” I whispered to her, trying to soothe or distract her (I wasn’t sure which) as the Lieutenant unleashed another lash, and then another. “Your mother is strong, and stubborn as the hills themselves. She has survived worse than this.”

Nevertheless, I continued to wince at each whistling, rattling impact of the scorpion against Rhianon’s flesh. Each blow clawed glistening, raw gashes across her back which bled openly, crimson rivers streaming down her spine and staining her trousers. I could see her taut sides heaving as her breath grew quicker and shallower. She sagged forward between the posts, her mouth open and her blue eyes filled with tears. Still, she made no sound, save a short, sharp exhalation each time the whip pummeled the breath from her lungs.

The Lieutenant put the force of his whole body into every swing , plying the lash as though it were an axe and Rhianon was a tree he was trying to cut down. There was a terrifying, beastly lust in his eyes each time he shouted the count. For the first time it struck me—how much these men hated us. These men who had lived among us for more than a generation, fed themselves on our crops, quenched their thirst with our waters, sheltered in our beds and taken our women into their arms—they saw us as lower than herd animals. They were repulsed by us. They wanted to destroy us, lash by lash, piece by piece.

I felt sick.

“Twenty-six!”

Rhianon was trembling in her bondage now, writhing and twisting back and forth between the posts as though trying to escape the blows. She hissed pained, wheezing breaths through flared nostrils and gritted teeth. Silent tears poured down her face and her bare feet staggered in the mud as she struggled to remain upright. Nearly her entire back was lacerated and bloodied, and the tails began to wrap around her body, bruising and biting her vulnerable underarms, her tender sides. Mared sobbed openly at the sight, tugging against my grip as though she were about to run to her mother’s side. She wasn’t the only one. As I looked around the village, I saw tear-stained faces shimmering all around like a galaxy of stars in the night sky.

“Thirty-six!”

As the whip struck once more, Rhianon’s balance finally gave out and she stumbled, suspended from her straining arms. A choking, strangled howl at last escaped her throat, so mangled that it must have been a reflex. A spasm passed through her and a moment later, horrifyingly, she retched up the contents of her stomach. I heard gasps, sobs, and gags from around the circle, and Mared let out a long, plaintive wail.

“Mother!” Mared cried out desperately. “Please, stop! Please, let her go! You’re murdering her!” She dropped to her knees, causing the edges of her torn dress to slip from her shoulders. She was a truly pitiful sight, and my chest burned with heartache that I couldn’t soothe her in her most desperate hour.

Hearing her daughter’s cries, Rhianon grasped the ropes around her wrists and, with every muscle in her tortured body straining, pulled herself back up onto her feet. She roared at the pain the effort awakened from her ravaged back. Then, her voice cut through the dreadful air, hoarse and slightly shaky, but unmistakable.

“Be strong, Mared my child!” she shouted, flinching as she took another blow. “Be strong for me! We must not let them break us!” He whipped her again, and she grunted deeply.

A restless murmur swept through the village then as the Warrior Queen’s words took hold. The flogging continued apace, but the people’s attention had turned to the soldiers, fixing the Invaders in a collective accusing glare.

“We will not let them break us! So commands the Warrior Queen!” shouted the Chieftain, in a voice deeper and louder than I had ever heard from the usually so soft-spoken old man. A rumble of affirmation ran through, louder than before.

It was then I took up the cause. In my reedy little voice I cried,

“We will not let them break us!” and I was greeted with an even greater cheer.

“Forty-one!” shouted the Lieutenant, struggling now to be heard over the crowd as he laid on the whip again. Though the blow was as strong as ever, Rhianon’s subsequent scream was clearly one of rage more than pain.

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!” she howled with every ounce of her breath. The village roared in response.

The Lieutenant prepared to deliver the next lash but cast a nervous glance toward his commanding officer.

“Silence, all of you!” shouted the Commander. “Continue the punishment! Forty-two!”

“Forty-two!” echoed the Lieutenant,

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!” The whole village shouted together now, one voice, drowning out the sound of the whip.

“Forty-three!”

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!” Even Mared took up the chant now, and for the first time that horrible day, her blue eyes looked hopeful and determined through the tears.

“I said SILENCE!” roared the little Commander, seeming more and more impotent the more enraged he got. “This is mass insubordination! I shall have every one of you flogged and executed! Forty-four!”

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!”

“Forty five!” The Lieutenant had given up. The Commander shouted out the count now.”

“Forty-six!”

“Forty-seven! Lay it on like your life depend on it, Lieutenant!”

Mared stood now and tugged her dress back on as much as she could. She led the chant now as her Mother’s voice faltered.

“FORTY-EIGHT! FLAY THE SAVAGE BITCH ALIVE!”

I looked at Rhianon. Her eyes were closed, she was soaked in sweat, blood and sick. Her breathing was ragged and she leaned weakly against the triangle, clinging impotently to the timber. Nevertheless, she rasped the chant along with us through pale, cracked lips as the tortuous onslaught on her body reached its conclusion.

“FORTY-NINE!”

The Lieutenant stuck the flagrum in his belt and went to the triangle, where he drew his sword and hacked apart the binding Rhianon. She fell down limp onto the grass and lay motionless, but still breathing. Seeing the Warrior Queen brought down, the people grew more agitated. They began shouting jeers and curses at the Invaders, hurling every awful epithet that existed in our tongue. The Commander held his sword aloft and the surrounding soldiers began to tense, and move into a battle ready formation.

“I order ALL OF YOU,” he shouted at the crowd “STAND DOWN and RETURN TO YOUR HOMES. By order of Rome!” His voice boomed, but I saw that he was sweating.

As the Lieutenant turned and made for his horse, a stone whizzed through the air across the green and struck him with an audible ‘thud’ on the back of his neck. He reeled and stumbled to his knees, grabbing his reins for support.

I turned and looked across from him. Eilwen, my master’s wife, had stepped to the front of the crowd and thrown the stone. She frowned, her brow furrowed, and picked up another.

“By order of the Cailleach,” she shouted, “We tell you to LEAVE US and GO HOME!” A roar of support erupted from the villagers.

“Seize that woman!” shouted the Commander.

The soldiers began to close in.

The village came forward to meet them.

All the town rushed to Eilwen’s side, closing around her and getting out in front. Following her lead, some started picking up stones and pelting the advancing soldiers. Others grabbed sticks, or nearby hand tools, or cooking pots. Those who had them reached for their hunting knives. Nearly everyone was armed, and newly emboldened, and all told there were more of us than there were of them.

The Chieftain’s voice boomed out over the rising uproar.

“You will not harm one more of our people!” he shouted. “Do as she says! Go return to your own land, your own families!”

Now panicking, the soldiers brandished their weapons and began to attack. The skirmish boiled over into a riot. Fists and feet and blades and sticks whirled in every direction. Cries, shouts and oaths in multiple tongues rang out around the green. The air was thick with the clatter of blade on spade, and the thudding of fists on flesh. I felt a tug on my arm and turned to see my master, the potter, cutting the bindings from my wrists.

“Go quickly,” he said, “and arm yourself.” He freed Mared as well, then charged back into the fray.

Heedless of her injured back, Mared bent down and took up her mother’s spear. She shrieked a wild war cry into the heavens and took a fighting stance.

A chorus of voices returned the cry. I turned to see the awesome sight of all the warriors of the clan charging down the embankment. Some two dozen men and women, the biggest, strongest and fastest in the hills, shrieking and whooping as they bore down on the Invaders. Some were in full leather battle dress, some in day clothes, and still others were in only their undertunic or breechcloth, but all were armed with spears, clubs or daggers and anointed with war paint. The Invaders seemed to shrink as they saw them coming.

Taking advantage of the distraction, Mared and I ran to Rhianon, who still lay prone and bleeding on the ground beneath the propped-up posts. At the same moment we reached her, so did the foremost warrior in the pack. It was Liadan, Rhianon’s sister, a formidable woman who looked much like her, only huskier and with auburn hair instead of black.

Mared and Liadan knelt at Rhianon’s side.

“Mother, we’re here!” said Mared, grasping Rhianon’s clammy hand. “It’s going to be alright.”

“We need to get her out of this brawl,” said Liadan. “Careful, now”

Between them, they each wrapped one of Rhianon’s arms around themselves and supported her slowly and gingerly to her feet. Rhianon screwed her eyes shut and groaned softly. I was amazed she was conscious. Her entire back had been stripped of its top layer of skin, with multiple much deeper gouges scoring her flesh in ugly ragged streaks. The sickly copper scent of her blood assaulted my nostrils. I couldn’t even imagine the kind of pain she must have been in. Her eyelids fluttered.

“Get me…water,” Rhianon rasped.

Desperate to help, I bolted to the nearest well and filled a clay pitcher with cold water. I took it to Rhianon and held it to her mouth. She took a long sip, then grabbed the vessel from my hand and tipped it over her head and down her back, gasping as the icy water sluiced over her open wounds. She stumbled a bit, then regained her footing.

“I need…a sword,” she choked out, staggering against her daughter.

“No, Mother!” said Mared, appalled. “You’re in no state to fight!”

“I have to…” Rhianon whimpered, “I have to fight…”

“Listen to me,” said Liadan, and took her sister’s face in her hands. “You’ve done enough today, do you hear me?” Liadan’s eyes shone with tears. “You’ve done enough, dear sister.”

Rhianon looked at her with glassy eyes for a long time, then nodded weakly and slumped into her. Liadan lifted her again.

“Move.”

As the battle raged around us, we carried the wounded Queen out of the green and to the nearest hut: the potter’s hut around the hillside. I quickly rolled out a sleeping pallet and we very carefully laid Rhianon down on her stomach. Somewhere between the triangle and here, she had lost consciousness. I turned to Mared.

“Stay here with her,” I said.

“Where are you going?”

“To fight them off.”

“That’s for me to do,” she chided, hefting the spear. “You stay with Mother.” She made for the doorway, but I grabbed her arm and stopped her.

“I can’t let them hurt you again.” My eyes drifted to the angry whip mark across her shoulders.

“It’s nothing,” she said, and winced.

We stared into each other’s eyes for a long time.

“Together then?” I said simply.

Mared nodded and we ran out, side by side.

Almost immediately something huge and heavy slammed into the side of my head. I fell to the ground and heard Mared shriek. Dazed, my head throbbing, I weakly raised my head to see the hulking figure of Blandus the soldier looming over me. He had recovered his sword and had clubbed me with the pommel. With me out of action, he lunged for Mared and pinned her against the outer wall of the hut, his massive hand closing around her throat.

“Primitive little cunt,” he snarled. “I’m taking everything I want from you, and then when I’ve done that, I might fuck your haughty old mum as well!” He pressed his stubbly, sweaty face up against hers and, revoltingly, licked the side of her face like a dog would a bone.

Half blind with rage and pain, I staggered weakly to my feet as the foul stranger clawed clumsily at the already ripped top of Mared’s dress, baring her shoulders and chest. She thrashed against him but couldn’t free herself. He pressed his whole body against her and groped her soft pink breast with his meaty hand, leering madly as I fought to steady myself.

Next to the doorway stood a tall wooden shelf stacked with freshly fired pots. It was my only chance. I ran and threw my entire body into it, knocking it off balance, sending the shelf and all its contents toppling down on top of Blandus. A couple of tumbling vessels caught Mared with glancing blows but she was mostly unharmed.

Blandus cursed, thrashing around to throw the wood and wreckage off himself. Not wasting a moment, Mared dropped to her knees next to the brute, grabbed one of the larger clay pots and with both hands, broke it on the side of his head. He went down with a guttural cry.

I groped in the dirt until my hand closed around one of the larger broken shards, then dropped to my knees on top of his scarlet-clad chest. He struggled, reaching for my throat, but he was too injured now to overpower me. I pinned him down and looked him in the eyes.

“We are not broken,” I said simply, then plunged the point of the shard deep into his throat. A fountain of blood exploded from the wound. He spasmed underneath me, choking and gurgling, and I felt the scrape of the clay shard against his collarbone reverberate all the way up my arm. I held on until his eyes rolled back and he stopped moving.

I stood up slowly, feeling like I was in a trance, the other man’s blood still warm on my face. I looked up at Mared. Neither of us spoke, but she came to me and took my hand. I pulled her in toward me and held her. I don’t know for how long.

She chose to stay by Rhianon’s side, daubing the cuts on her mother’s back with cool water, while I took the spear and returned to the scene of the battle. My breath caught heavy in my throat as I saw many of my people, my friends and neighbors, lying dead or wounded in the trampled grass. If you live as long as I have, you’ll come to learn that liberation, of any kind, always walks hand in hand with mourning.

However, I felt a swell of hope as I saw that with the help of Liadan and her warriors, we had forced the Invaders into retreat, pursuing the lot of them back to their own encampment. I watched a frenzied mob of scarlet cloaks in the distance, fleeing this way and that, and heard the battle cries of the warriors as they brought the Invaders’ dwellings and fortifications crashing down around them.

The familiar scent of wood smoke caught in my nostrils, the same as the seasonal bonfires around which we gathered to drink and sing. Isn’t it funny how it smells the same whether bringing merriment or destruction? In the middle of their camp, the silhouette of the command tent became consumed by a roaring inferno. The setting sun came down, and seemed to become one with the leaping flames, each causing each to blaze brighter than I had thought possible. I knew then that our future was our own.

You young men, and your children, and your children’s children will see many more seasons to come than I will. I hope that none of you will ever have to live under the lash of cruel strangers from distant lands. However, should it come to pass, remember this story of your ancestors. Remember that you and they are one people, and that while some may beat you, they will never break you.

Is that stew nearly finished? It smells just divine. Yes, I’ll take a nice big crust of bread with mine, thank you kindly.

-sessnatz.

Thank you, @mark sessnatz , I thoroughly enjoyed this piece- rather goes against the trend of stories showing the Romans always victorious…49 lashes with the Scorpion? That’s one bloody tough woman, the scorpion was a executioner’s weapon…

I can’t help but be curious to at least try one lash from one? Maybe it’s a good thing that I’ve never bought or made one? The little beaded scourge I have already hurts enough!

The sandy-haired Lieutenant saluted. He shook the whip out to separate the cords, rattling the embedded shards menacingly. He shouted out the count of ‘one’.

It seemed that the entire village flinched in unison as the barbed tails collided with Rhianon’s back, raking ugly, bloody furrows across her shoulder blades. She jerked at the impact and her blue eyes sprang wide open, but she did not cry out. Mared, distraught, cried out in her place, a helpless sob of pity and terror. I squeezed her tighter.

“Be brave cariadh,” I whispered to her, trying to soothe or distract her (I wasn’t sure which) as the Lieutenant unleashed another lash, and then another. “Your mother is strong, and stubborn as the hills themselves. She has survived worse than this.”

Nevertheless, I continued to wince at each whistling, rattling impact of the scorpion against Rhianon’s flesh. Each blow clawed glistening, raw gashes across her back which bled openly, crimson rivers streaming down her spine and staining her trousers. I could see her taut sides heaving as her breath grew quicker and shallower. She sagged forward between the posts, her mouth open and her blue eyes filled with tears. Still, she made no sound, save a short, sharp exhalation each time the whip pummeled the breath from her lungs.

The Lieutenant put the force of his whole body into every swing , plying the lash as though it were an axe and Rhianon was a tree he was trying to cut down. There was a terrifying, beastly lust in his eyes each time he shouted the count. For the first time it struck me—how much these men hated us. These men who had lived among us for more than a generation, fed themselves on our crops, quenched their thirst with our waters, sheltered in our beds and taken our women into their arms—they saw us as lower than herd animals. They were repulsed by us. They wanted to destroy us, lash by lash, piece by piece.

I felt sick.

“Twenty-six!”

Rhianon was trembling in her bondage now, writhing and twisting back and forth between the posts as though trying to escape the blows. She hissed pained, wheezing breaths through flared nostrils and gritted teeth. Silent tears poured down her face and her bare feet staggered in the mud as she struggled to remain upright. Nearly her entire back was lacerated and bloodied, and the tails began to wrap around her body, bruising and biting her vulnerable underarms, her tender sides. Mared sobbed openly at the sight, tugging against my grip as though she were about to run to her mother’s side. She wasn’t the only one. As I looked around the village, I saw tear-stained faces shimmering all around like a galaxy of stars in the night sky.

“Thirty-six!”

As the whip struck once more, Rhianon’s balance finally gave out and she stumbled, suspended from her straining arms. A choking, strangled howl at last escaped her throat, so mangled that it must have been a reflex. A spasm passed through her and a moment later, horrifyingly, she retched up the contents of her stomach. I heard gasps, sobs, and gags from around the circle, and Mared let out a long, plaintive wail.

“Mother!” Mared cried out desperately. “Please, stop! Please, let her go! You’re murdering her!” She dropped to her knees, causing the edges of her torn dress to slip from her shoulders. She was a truly pitiful sight, and my chest burned with heartache that I couldn’t soothe her in her most desperate hour.

Hearing her daughter’s cries, Rhianon grasped the ropes around her wrists and, with every muscle in her tortured body straining, pulled herself back up onto her feet. She roared at the pain the effort awakened from her ravaged back. Then, her voice cut through the dreadful air, hoarse and slightly shaky, but unmistakable.

“Be strong, Mared my child!” she shouted, flinching as she took another blow. “Be strong for me! We must not let them break us!” He whipped her again, and she grunted deeply.

A restless murmur swept through the village then as the Warrior Queen’s words took hold. The flogging continued apace, but the people’s attention had turned to the soldiers, fixing the Invaders in a collective accusing glare.

“We will not let them break us! So commands the Warrior Queen!” shouted the Chieftain, in a voice deeper and louder than I had ever heard from the usually so soft-spoken old man. A rumble of affirmation ran through, louder than before.

It was then I took up the cause. In my reedy little voice I cried,

“We will not let them break us!” and I was greeted with an even greater cheer.

“Forty-one!” shouted the Lieutenant, struggling now to be heard over the crowd as he laid on the whip again. Though the blow was as strong as ever, Rhianon’s subsequent scream was clearly one of rage more than pain.

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!” she howled with every ounce of her breath. The village roared in response.

The Lieutenant prepared to deliver the next lash but cast a nervous glance toward his commanding officer.

“Silence, all of you!” shouted the Commander. “Continue the punishment! Forty-two!”

“Forty-two!” echoed the Lieutenant,

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!” The whole village shouted together now, one voice, drowning out the sound of the whip.

“Forty-three!”

“WE WILL NOT LET THEM BREAK US!” Even Mared took up the chant now, and for the first time that horrible day, her blue eyes looked hopeful and determined through the tears.

“I said SILENCE!” roared the little Commander, seeming more and more impotent the more enraged he got. “This is mass insubordination! I shall have every one of you flogged and executed! Forty-four!”

“Forty five!” The Lieutenant had given up. The Commander shouted out the count now.”

“Forty-six!”

“Forty-seven! Lay it on like your life depend on it, Lieutenant!”

Mared stood now and tugged her dress back on as much as she could. She led the chant now as her Mother’s voice faltered.

“FORTY-EIGHT! FLAY THE SAVAGE BITCH ALIVE!”

I looked at Rhianon. Her eyes were closed, she was soaked in sweat, blood and sick. Her breathing was ragged and she leaned weakly against the triangle, clinging impotently to the timber. Nevertheless, she rasped the chant along with us through pale, cracked lips as the tortuous onslaught on her body reached its conclusion.

“FORTY-NINE!”

The Lieutenant stuck the flagrum in his belt and went to the triangle, where he drew his sword and hacked apart the binding Rhianon. She fell down limp onto the grass and lay motionless, but still breathing. Seeing the Warrior Queen brought down, the people grew more agitated. They began shouting jeers and curses at the Invaders, hurling every awful epithet that existed in our tongue. The Commander held his sword aloft and the surrounding soldiers began to tense, and move into a battle ready formation.

“I order ALL OF YOU,” he shouted at the crowd “STAND DOWN and RETURN TO YOUR HOMES. By order of Rome!” His voice boomed, but I saw that he was sweating.

As the Lieutenant turned and made for his horse, a stone whizzed through the air across the green and struck him with an audible ‘thud’ on the back of his neck. He reeled and stumbled to his knees, grabbing his reins for support.

I turned and looked across from him. Eilwen, my master’s wife, had stepped to the front of the crowd and thrown the stone. She frowned, her brow furrowed, and picked up another.

“By order of the Cailleach,” she shouted, “We tell you to LEAVE US and GO HOME!” A roar of support erupted from the villagers.

“Seize that woman!” shouted the Commander.

The soldiers began to close in.

The village came forward to meet them.

All the town rushed to Eilwen’s side, closing around her and getting out in front. Following her lead, some started picking up stones and pelting the advancing soldiers. Others grabbed sticks, or nearby hand tools, or cooking pots. Those who had them reached for their hunting knives. Nearly everyone was armed, and newly emboldened, and all told there were more of us than there were of them.

The Chieftain’s voice boomed out over the rising uproar.

“You will not harm one more of our people!” he shouted. “Do as she says! Go return to your own land, your own families!”

Now panicking, the soldiers brandished their weapons and began to attack. The skirmish boiled over into a riot. Fists and feet and blades and sticks whirled in every direction. Cries, shouts and oaths in multiple tongues rang out around the green. The air was thick with the clatter of blade on spade, and the thudding of fists on flesh. I felt a tug on my arm and turned to see my master, the potter, cutting the bindings from my wrists.

“Go quickly,” he said, “and arm yourself.” He freed Mared as well, then charged back into the fray.

Heedless of her injured back, Mared bent down and took up her mother’s spear. She shrieked a wild war cry into the heavens and took a fighting stance.

A chorus of voices returned the cry. I turned to see the awesome sight of all the warriors of the clan charging down the embankment. Some two dozen men and women, the biggest, strongest and fastest in the hills, shrieking and whooping as they bore down on the Invaders. Some were in full leather battle dress, some in day clothes, and still others were in only their undertunic or breechcloth, but all were armed with spears, clubs or daggers and anointed with war paint. The Invaders seemed to shrink as they saw them coming.

Taking advantage of the distraction, Mared and I ran to Rhianon, who still lay prone and bleeding on the ground beneath the propped-up posts. At the same moment we reached her, so did the foremost warrior in the pack. It was Liadan, Rhianon’s sister, a formidable woman who looked much like her, only huskier and with auburn hair instead of black.

Mared and Liadan knelt at Rhianon’s side.

“Mother, we’re here!” said Mared, grasping Rhianon’s clammy hand. “It’s going to be alright.”

“We need to get her out of this brawl,” said Liadan. “Careful, now”

Between them, they each wrapped one of Rhianon’s arms around themselves and supported her slowly and gingerly to her feet. Rhianon screwed her eyes shut and groaned softly. I was amazed she was conscious. Her entire back had been stripped of its top layer of skin, with multiple much deeper gouges scoring her flesh in ugly ragged streaks. The sickly copper scent of her blood assaulted my nostrils. I couldn’t even imagine the kind of pain she must have been in. Her eyelids fluttered.

“Get me…water,” Rhianon rasped.

Desperate to help, I bolted to the nearest well and filled a clay pitcher with cold water. I took it to Rhianon and held it to her mouth. She took a long sip, then grabbed the vessel from my hand and tipped it over her head and down her back, gasping as the icy water sluiced over her open wounds. She stumbled a bit, then regained her footing.

“I need…a sword,” she choked out, staggering against her daughter.

“No, Mother!” said Mared, appalled. “You’re in no state to fight!”

“I have to…” Rhianon whimpered, “I have to fight…”

“Listen to me,” said Liadan, and took her sister’s face in her hands. “You’ve done enough today, do you hear me?” Liadan’s eyes shone with tears. “You’ve done enough, dear sister.”

Rhianon looked at her with glassy eyes for a long time, then nodded weakly and slumped into her. Liadan lifted her again.

“Move.”

As the battle raged around us, we carried the wounded Queen out of the green and to the nearest hut: the potter’s hut around the hillside. I quickly rolled out a sleeping pallet and we very carefully laid Rhianon down on her stomach. Somewhere between the triangle and here, she had lost consciousness. I turned to Mared.

“Stay here with her,” I said.

“Where are you going?”

“To fight them off.”

“That’s for me to do,” she chided, hefting the spear. “You stay with Mother.” She made for the doorway, but I grabbed her arm and stopped her.

“I can’t let them hurt you again.” My eyes drifted to the angry whip mark across her shoulders.

“It’s nothing,” she said, and winced.

We stared into each other’s eyes for a long time.

“Together then?” I said simply.

Mared nodded and we ran out, side by side.

Almost immediately something huge and heavy slammed into the side of my head. I fell to the ground and heard Mared shriek. Dazed, my head throbbing, I weakly raised my head to see the hulking figure of Blandus the soldier looming over me. He had recovered his sword and had clubbed me with the pommel. With me out of action, he lunged for Mared and pinned her against the outer wall of the hut, his massive hand closing around her throat.

“Primitive little cunt,” he snarled. “I’m taking everything I want from you, and then when I’ve done that, I might fuck your haughty old mum as well!” He pressed his stubbly, sweaty face up against hers and, revoltingly, licked the side of her face like a dog would a bone.

Half blind with rage and pain, I staggered weakly to my feet as the foul stranger clawed clumsily at the already ripped top of Mared’s dress, baring her shoulders and chest. She thrashed against him but couldn’t free herself. He pressed his whole body against her and groped her soft pink breast with his meaty hand, leering madly as I fought to steady myself.

Next to the doorway stood a tall wooden shelf stacked with freshly fired pots. It was my only chance. I ran and threw my entire body into it, knocking it off balance, sending the shelf and all its contents toppling down on top of Blandus. A couple of tumbling vessels caught Mared with glancing blows but she was mostly unharmed.

Blandus cursed, thrashing around to throw the wood and wreckage off himself. Not wasting a moment, Mared dropped to her knees next to the brute, grabbed one of the larger clay pots and with both hands, broke it on the side of his head. He went down with a guttural cry.

I groped in the dirt until my hand closed around one of the larger broken shards, then dropped to my knees on top of his scarlet-clad chest. He struggled, reaching for my throat, but he was too injured now to overpower me. I pinned him down and looked him in the eyes.

“We are not broken,” I said simply, then plunged the point of the shard deep into his throat. A fountain of blood exploded from the wound. He spasmed underneath me, choking and gurgling, and I felt the scrape of the clay shard against his collarbone reverberate all the way up my arm. I held on until his eyes rolled back and he stopped moving.

I stood up slowly, feeling like I was in a trance, the other man’s blood still warm on my face. I looked up at Mared. Neither of us spoke, but she came to me and took my hand. I pulled her in toward me and held her. I don’t know for how long.

She chose to stay by Rhianon’s side, daubing the cuts on her mother’s back with cool water, while I took the spear and returned to the scene of the battle. My breath caught heavy in my throat as I saw many of my people, my friends and neighbors, lying dead or wounded in the trampled grass. If you live as long as I have, you’ll come to learn that liberation, of any kind, always walks hand in hand with mourning.

However, I felt a swell of hope as I saw that with the help of Liadan and her warriors, we had forced the Invaders into retreat, pursuing the lot of them back to their own encampment. I watched a frenzied mob of scarlet cloaks in the distance, fleeing this way and that, and heard the battle cries of the warriors as they brought the Invaders’ dwellings and fortifications crashing down around them.

The familiar scent of wood smoke caught in my nostrils, the same as the seasonal bonfires around which we gathered to drink and sing. Isn’t it funny how it smells the same whether bringing merriment or destruction? In the middle of their camp, the silhouette of the command tent became consumed by a roaring inferno. The setting sun came down, and seemed to become one with the leaping flames, each causing each to blaze brighter than I had thought possible. I knew then that our future was our own.

You young men, and your children, and your children’s children will see many more seasons to come than I will. I hope that none of you will ever have to live under the lash of cruel strangers from distant lands. However, should it come to pass, remember this story of your ancestors. Remember that you and they are one people, and that while some may beat you, they will never break you.

Is that stew nearly finished? It smells just divine. Yes, I’ll take a nice big crust of bread with mine, thank you kindly.

-sessnatz.
Collected for the next Cruxer's Digest.

Back
Top Bottom