Death And The Maiden

Go to CruxDreams.com
that gif is, of course, from The Seventh Seal - I found the Pabst film while looking for clips from that.
Here's what I was looking for -

Witch burning:

Dies Irae:

Final scene, with the Dance of Death on the hilltop:

Well, it's very different from what would be considered good Hollywood-style acting,
or from Stanislavsky-style 'method' acting.
But Pabst - although he went back to work under the Nazi regime - had worked with Brecht
(notably on the Threepenny Opera - 'Mack the Knife', as we've discussed on CF recently),
and the whole idea was to undermine the illusion of 'reality'. That dance represents the plague,
not just its physical symptoms, but the way people are drawn into mass hysteria
(it's hard to tell whether Pabst was satirising his Nazi masters - superficially,
Paracelsus, the 'good doctor' who saves the jester, is Hitler, but there are complex layers)
I find it a very powerful, very troubling scene - but it's a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Some Apocalyptic fusion going on - Ratatoskr is the squirrel
who runs up and down Yggdrassil, the World-Tree with the latest gossip
between the eagle on the topmost branch and Niðhogg the serpent at the root

AM_738_4to_Ratatoskr.png

and he goes on doing this until the Seventh Seal is opened by the Lamb
and there's silence for half and hour in Valhalla,
then the 7 angels are given 7 trumpets...

bodl_Douce180_roll139C_frame7.jpg

Some Apocalyptic fusion going on - Ratatoskr is the squirrel
who runs up and down Yggdrassil, the World-Tree with the latest gossip
between the eagle on the topmost branch and Niðhogg the serpent at the root

View attachment 426749

and he goes on doing this until the Seventh Seal is opened by the Lamb
and there's silence for half and hour in Valhalla,
then the 7 angels are given 7 trumpets...

View attachment 426750
Rather a mix of mythology there. :D I suppose it's just possible that all the gods know each other, and Ragnarok might be started by a Squirrel and a Lamb annoying Loki (or something), while Odin and the Buddha discuss how to prevent root rot on the World Tree. If they consult anyone at CF, we'd likely advise them to try hanging a naked girl on it. :devil:

Rather a mix of mythology there. :D I suppose it's just possible that all the gods know each other, and Ragnarok might be started by a Squirrel and a Lamb annoying Loki (or something), while Odin and the Buddha discuss how to prevent root rot on the World Tree. If they consult anyone at CF, we'd likely advise them to try hanging a naked girl on it. :devil:
I hope they weren't below the Tree house deck that he just pissed off of then tossed a lit smoke and everything went up like a Napalm strike!!!

Back
Top Bottom