December belongs to the twins of pain

Go to CruxDreams.com
I copied this post from Margot's 'News' thread in the Links to Paysites section,
as it isn't linking or promoting Red Feline films specifically,
rather telling something of the story of the beginning of Jac Avila's enterprise,
and some of the wonderful women who made it possible.

December belongs to the twins of pain

CarmenVeroDiary001.jpg

At the end of 1975 and beginning of 1976 Jac was in Bolivia, visiting from NY. At that time he was a film student in the Big Apple, he also worked in many odd jobs including one doing maintenance for a building in Van Wyck EPwy, Queens.

One day, while working in the apartment building, a man came to the place and asked Jac if he wanted to join the union of maintenance workers. He said, ok, why not? One week later, while changing a bulb in a narrow back entrance, he had a very strange accident, he was up in a ladder, his boss was holding it because it was not very secure, and as Jac stepped down, the guy let the ladder go, needless to say Jac broke his leg. The owner of the building was none other than Donald T. yes. That D. T.

NewYork1974023-656x1024.jpg

Jac in Central Park, NY, 1975.

So, after spending 6 months with his leg in a cast, Jac was not ready to work, he had some time in his hands, and after recouping further from his really terrible accident, multiple fractures, and since he was receiving some compensation, off to Bolivia he went, planning to stay a month, ended up staying 6.

He was preparing to return to NY when he went visiting some relatives, one of them was his grand father’s second wife, Hilda, a well known poet. She invited him to visit her family, who lived in the famous house of another famous poet. Jac’s family is full of poets, painters, musicians, really. He took pictures of his step grandma and her relatives, all of them extremely well known. One of those pictures won awards for Jac during his student days. He also took some pictures of his travels and of himself in strange situations.

LaPaz1975-76015-687x1024.jpg

Jac’s self portrait at the San Francisco Church in 1976.
Later on, in 2013 he shot scenes for
Dead But Dreaming in this church.

During the visit to his grandfather’s relatives, Jac saw a beautiful young woman, Hilda’s niece, Carmen, who he hadn’t seen for a few years. She was two years older than him and he kind of had a crush on her a few years back; seeing her at that moment he could see why.

Carmen mentioned to him that she was in town, visiting from France, where she was now residing, she introduced to him her young, very tall, French husband. Jac could see that she was pregnant… She was pregnant with twins!

Shortly after that meeting Jac was back in NY, back in school, in his own little studio, and no longer holding menial jobs, he got into advertising and photography while finishing his film studies. He also produced a weekly radio show, worked in some films, including Hair, where he was a production assistant and extra.

By 1981 he was already working in his own films and in 1988 he premiere his first major feature documentary film at the most famous Cannes Film Festival, where he met Graham Greene, the celebrated writer. Because of that film he worked in Cuba and ended up going to Hungary, where we met. Another long story told in detail in other pasts and future posts.

Jac198801Cannes.jpg

Jac at the Cannes Film Festival with a journalist

In 1992 we were in NYC, living in a nice duplex by South Street Seaport, he was preparing to shoot another movie and he wanted to make it in Bolivia, so… off to Bolivia we went.

In April of 1992 Jac and I arrived in Bolivia. A month before our arrival, Jac’s beloved aunt Mercedes, also a poet, died of heart disease. A few days after our arrival there was a mass to remember a month of her passing.

Jac and I were in the front row at the Church where the mass was taking place because Jac was direct family. To his side was his dear uncle Guido, the widower, also a poet. In the row behind us there was this very beautiful young woman with the most shinny smile. Next to her was Pancho, who Jac knew well from their time of smoking pot and organizing weird music encounters. He is also Carmen’s brother. Pancho introduced the young pretty smile woman to Jac. Jac learned at that moment that the beautiful girl in front of him was none other that one of the expected twins from 1976. The twins were born on December 6 of that year.

Carmen92001-1024x735.jpg

Camille in 1992, before the encounter

After the mass everyone went on their business. Jac and I were preparing some acting workshops to prepare actors for the film Jac was hoping to produce. He also needed a million bucks for that. Long story.

While looking for cash for the big film, Jac decided to give all of his new actors roles in a twin peaky miniseries he was writing in his head about two sisters, one gets killed. A casual encounter in the street with Camille, the beautiful young relative of his, led him to cast her in the central role of his new story. It was 1993.

Camille played the difficult dual role of twins, one who is killed and the other helps in the investigation. Jac decided to make the sisters twins because he had the perfect actress for that. The dead twin appears in flashbacks, while the living twin is a central character along with Jac himself and… me.

ElHombreDeLaLuna028-1024x683.jpg

Shooting a scene for The Man From The Moon

Camille surprised Jac with her daring and capacity to get into character. She had one extremely difficult scene where she rolls down a cliff. Jac was impressed with her passionate performance and saw the amazing possibilities Camille’s talents and daring were offering him. He was sure he finally found his goddess.

HDLSc01b.gif

Clip from The Man From The Moon

Soon after completing the miniseries Camille and Jac began her training for a role he envisioned she would be perfect for by trying out scenes for the film he had in mind, one that involved a crucifixion. Camille was willing to do it and so they recorded some sessions that became more and more intense as they worked on them.

Somewhere along the way they became a couple and were living together. in ’95 they went to the US, France and other cities in a sentimental and working tour.

They were back in Bolivia at the end of that year.

At the beginning of 96 Jac was invited to be a film professor at a prestigious university, he was also preparing to shoot a TV series based on his script for the film that never was and that’s when Gabrielle, Camille’s twin sister, moved in with the happy couple. He was now living with the twins, teaching at a university, preparing a TV series, doing a lot of photography and also planning a vampire movie with Camille and Gabrielle in the leading roles.

CarmenVero199601.jpg

Camille and Gabrielle, posing in 1996

In 97 Jac was hard at work making a few documentaries, preparing to shoot the TV series and working with Camille on the videos we call The Via Crucis of Camille. At one point Camille and Jac decided to make one movie with the subject of crucifixion and with a lot of torture and they made Red Feline On The Cross with a budget of less than 500 dollars.

And then the crisis. The TV station that promised to back the series withdrew their offer because they had too many things going. Jac got pissed. He got together with his basic production team, that included me, and announced that he was leaving Bolivia.

Before the end of 97 off he went to the US to begin something new, something he didn’t know at the time, a new industry, Red Feline Pictures, something that had Camille, who went with Jac, Gabrielle, who later joined them, and himself as the sexy triumvirate who would give shape to the brand new and outrageously daring adventure.

BTW, his basic production team is, still, the pillar of Jac’s work, all the original members of that restless team are still hard at work.

Beni1996045-1024x690.jpg

The Team in 1996, making a documentary.
The same team later on, in 2005, in the same area, shot a documentary for NatGeo

and met Amy who became a great actress and director.

And that's how it all began, and why December belongs to the twins.

Last edited by a moderator:
love it! I always liked the excellent acting and the good chemistry between all RFP 's artists.
I would like to know other backstage stories... about writing, filming, characters creation and development, actors formation and their experiences on set...

I posted in our site this morning. A new one, with fresh news. I was too busy to share my post here, so, here it goes:

Leaving Me Hanging

CruxExtremaSc03Tk01_0168_00184010-1024x576.jpg

Jac is leaving me hanging. I’m waiting to hear about what is happening with the exploding scripts and nothing comes my way. I’m too eager perhaps, too impatient, my curiosity is piqued, I’m getting anxious… all natural reactions to a waiting game. Pure torture.

ReineMargotVEAAfOKL.jpeg

Dani is feeling the same way. She’s asking questions, she needs to know…

What I DO know is this. Jac has two scripts, one complete, one in the works, he also has one idea. All three having to do with possible inquisition movies. One script was Monxa Mala, where one main character was going to suffer the most. That character was going to be played by Bea, of Passion of Isabel and Justine fame. She had smaller roles in Olalla and Pygmalion.

RehearsalBeaDani02-low.gif

For reasons I will not elaborate here, she left the Monxa Mala project and Jac decided to just eliminate her character, Simonne took the most tortured woman part in the story. However, Jac loved Bea’s character and her story, he wasn’t going to give it up.

Another story flew into Jac’s brain, Blanca And The Inquisitor, inspired by a very long De Sade story and slightly based in the real story of Blanca, a victim of the inquisition, but the story itself is original. He wanted Simonne to play the character of Blanca.

MIIDemoCristina20180407121504.jpg

But then Covid 19 came along fucking up all of the plans. Jac managed to work with Dani on the CruXtreme movies, five of them, two of them with Mila, and in addition Crux Simplex (For Two). All of that production under the worse conditions ever, in the middle of a pandemic with people dying around. Kind of medieval, right?

CruxSimplexSc03_0472_00030228-1024x576.jpg

When Dani and Jac met last week, a sick Dani, a depressed Jac, something happened that neither expected. Something clicked. Something Dani said, something Jac thought, something they discussed, whatever it was, it sent Jac into a creative vortex.

15 minutes after Dani left for home Jac came up with a great title, Maleficarum Excruciati, he created the script document in his computer and threw in the main characters, Blanca, from Blanca and the Inquisitor, Odelia, from the eliminated part of Monxa Mala, and Juanita, the new idea that was roaming freely in his head about a Curandera (healer) who is accused of witchcraft, as well as the main accuser and the rest of the principal characters.

Blanca could be played by Simmonne, while Odelia’s role will be in Dani’s hands. Juanita will be played by Mila.

One hour later Jac had the beginning of the story and an idea for the end. By noon next day he had two options for a fiery end! He even had most of the tortures lined up! Not all, but most of the nasty torments the three women will go through.

He already wrote an intense dialogue between Blanca and her torturer, he also laid out the entire conflict that ties all three characters together and more.

He even put a cash tag to the project, 25,000 which will have to be raised before beginning the production. And while he was going over the story in his head, he was tinkering with photoshop and came up with a provisional key art for a promo poster. He’ll play with that for a while, I’m sure.

MaleficarumExcruciatiKeyArtSm01.jpg

The creative vortex was so intense that Jac and La Paz weather were on the same track. An intense and overflowing cascade of ideas for Jac, overflowing rivers in La Paz. In both cases because of Xtremely severe storms.

I’m waiting for more news, but I know they won’t come very soon. Jac is busy with the post production of CruXtreme IV, he wants to release it next month. He’s also planning all sorts of nasty things to do to Dani in Agent Honey Trap beginning this week and later to Mila in Mole Deep Cover (provisional title). I wonder what’s going to happen to Le Femme De Chambre.

I think Maleficarum Excruciati exploded. It is the turn for 69 Année Érotique to turn into fantastic, colorful, exploding fireworks. Aventura is in pre production and Casa De Fieras is there, sticking its playful head over all of them. A lot is coming, including the release next month of Amy’s film Rucker. It’s so difficult to keep up with all of that!

RuckerKeyArt02.jpeg

And do not forget. We have our great END OF YEAR SALE!

20% DISCOUNT IF YOU GET TWO OR MORE OF OUR FILMS!

Downloads

DVDs

Barbazul, A Cold Blooded Killer

Barbazul01182623-1024x576.jpg

I recently posted December Belongs To The Twins Of Pain.

In that post I tell the story of how strangely linked are the lives of the two beautiful twins, Camille and Gabrielle, and Jac. That post caused some interesting reaction and comments.
love it! I always liked the excellent acting and the good chemistry between all RFP 's artists.
I would like to know other backstage stories... about writing, filming, characters creation and development, actors formation and their experiences on set...

All through the time I’ve been doing this, I told a lot of background stories, so did Amy and Camille over the years, many times and all over the place, forums, websites, interviews, videos… Even Dani most recently.

I quote Jac a lot about what he’s planning and how, who he is working with and all he does with and to them. In that long held tradition, I have a very interesting anecdote about Amy’s second feature as director, Barbazul.

Barbazul00400700.gif

Veronique, one of the famous twins plays de role of Barbazul’s first wife.

When Jac was a teenager he had a girlfriend who was in love with the famous star of Hollywood, Tony Curtis. I think they saw all the movies with good old Tony. Jac particularly liked The Great Race, about the spectacular land race from New York to Paris in the early 20th century, the two main competitors being the handsome, dashing hero in white, The Great Leslie (Tony Curtis), and the dastardly, black-suited Professor Fate (Jack Lemmon). Jac loved that movie but not because of Tony, but because of Jack Lemon, who he also loved in Some Like It Hot. I digress.

When Jac learned that Tony Curtis was going to play Albert DeSalvo in The Boston Strangler, he was really curious, although he didn’t really know much about that case at that time. But Tony Curtis, the handsome, dashing, heroic and funny guy playing a vicious psychotic killer? That was something to watch.

Jac saw the movie, of course, and he was in awe of Curtis performance, and what most impressed Jac was the face DeSalvo had when strangling his victims, one scene in particular Jac remembers vividly. DeSalvo is strangling one of his victims, the camera closes up on him and focuses on the intensity of DeSalvo’s face, his cold unfeeling eyes as he takes the life of the young woman.

TonyCurtisStrangler.jpeg

When Amy asked Jac to play Barbazul for her second movie, she was very pleased in how he played Luis Montez in Sirwiñakuy, Jac thought of Tony Curtis. He decided to play Barbazul like Tony played DeSalvo. He wanted to give that cold eyes impression when he kills. Except for the first killing of course, that of his first wife, played by wonderful Veronique, one of the twins of the post that originated this response, when Jac kills Vero, he has a deranged face.

Barbazul01010303-1024x576.jpg

For the rest of the killings Jac became a cold eye killer and it was impressive. The amazing thing is that the French critic Philippe Chouvel wrote:

Barbazul (a contraction of Barba Azul, Bluebeard in Spanish) is interpreted by Jac Avila, terrifying to perfection, mixing Landru by his seductions (charming his prey), with an Albert DeSalvo side (the Boston Strangler, who killed a dozen women during the years 1962/1964).

Barbazul01273506-1024x576.jpg

This critic actually made a comparison between Jac’s Barbazul with Tony’s DeSalvo. But he also used the famous killer Landru to draw more comparisons.

Henri Désiré Landru was a French serial killer, nicknamed the Bluebeard of Gambais, who murdered at least seven women in the village of Gambais between December 1915 and January 1919. It sounds like the kind of story some people I know would… Is it possible that …? … hmmm … no I’m not going to ask. There’s too much on their plate right now.

Barbazul01415318-1024x576.jpg

When I read that review I was really touched. Jac was eXtremely pleased, he did not expect that someone would notice his obvious, to him, take on Tony Curtis DeSalvo.

Amy was static. She loved the review, specially the beginning where Phillipe says:

Could Bolivia be the new haven of independent cinema? Given the output of Pachamama Films in recent years … there’s no doubt.

Amy was glad she made that film for her second film as director. The film went to festivals, won a couple of awards, but most importantly it solidify Amy’s capacity as director. She’s now bordering the big time with her soon to be released Rucker.

Barbazul was also instrumental in making Mila a great actress. She had done a few scenes for Maleficarum before the production of Barbazul, but this film was her first huge movie as protagonist and she did a great job. The responsibility of carrying the film was in Jac, but Vero, Amy and Mila shared the weight of the female protagonists, but Mila had the load of the film itself.

Barbazul00341809-1024x576.jpg

I think this film deserves a huge audience and it just might get it. A lot is happening because of the release of Rucker. There’s a lot of interest in Amy’s previous work and this film will benefit from that, I’m sure. I’ll have more anecdotes soon.

Back
Top Bottom