DeviantArt is different....

Go to CruxDreams.com
A request to anyone who knows or would like to help test... if a DA page is saved as an html and then deleted, what, if anything, will not reload properly? In particular, nested comments and the ability to actually save the picture.

A request to anyone who knows or would like to help test... if a DA page is saved as an html and then deleted, what, if anything, will not reload properly? In particular, nested comments and the ability to actually save the picture.
I think absolutely everything is deleted.
What annoys me is that some of the description I did (or firnds did for me) were important to the picture, especially the Ghorrokar series.

It won't be the same without the text.

What annoys me is that some of the description I did (or firnds did for me) were important to the picture, especially the Ghorrokar series.

It's because of hearing this that I understand the need to preserve it. But if the whole page could be saved in a few clicks, it would be a lot easier than doing the images and text separately..

you mean an individual page showing one piece of art?

I tried saving a 'deviation' page with Firefox as 'complete webpage' (which downloads all the assets too),
and then cut the internet connection to check whether it would work if the online page is deleted.
This works, comments are there, to enlarge the pic though it's necessary to do a right click.
But always check if it's working for you before relying on it.

If you want to save for instance a Favorites page to preserve all the work you did for collecting references and interesting things that is a bit more difficult.

you mean an individual page showing one piece of art?

I tried saving a 'deviation' page with Firefox as 'complete webpage' (which downloads all the assets too),
and then cut the internet connection to check whether it would work if the online page is deleted.
This works, comments are there, to enlarge the pic though it's necessary to do a right click.
But always check if it's working for you before relying on it.

If you want to save for instance a Favorites page to preserve all the work you did for collecting references and interesting things that is a bit more difficult.
Well I was kind of thinking that if there was an easy way we could do some organised archiving? But it needs various tests - for instance, my normal Chrome save doesn't seem to preserve deep comment threads, and while I can save pics through it I don't know if I can save deleted ones.

Well I was kind of thinking that if there was an easy way we could do some organised archiving? But it needs various tests - for instance, my normal Chrome save doesn't seem to preserve deep comment threads, and while I can save pics through it I don't know if I can save deleted ones.
Actually I just found Deviantart has an RSS API.
This way it ought to be possible to grab all sorts of things. Deviations by a category or search term or from a user. Unlikely though that it will cover comments

I still have every picture I did from the beginning, but not the descriptions.
That's fucking annoying to have lost that, especially for Ghorrokar's lair.

Can you access them via the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org)?

Can you access them via the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org)?
Sometimes genius is so simple.

Some of the text is still salvagable!

I have created a SuscribeStar account, give me some time to set up the stuff, and that may be my new spot pour my girls!

I think subscribestar is a good choice! The presentation of the pictures is very nice and it is also well suited for possible votes! :D
I'm looking forward to it when you have finished setting up your profile! :)

Back
Top Bottom