Gadriella of the Imperial Wood

Go to CruxDreams.com

Wragg

Chronicler of Crux
Staff member

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood​

“You get a day off tomorrow. I’m closing the stall!”

My brother’s announcement caused me a mixed reaction. A day without any pay, bad, but a day off, good.

“Why?”

“’Why?’, he asks!” He rolled his eyes. Everything I said, he ridiculed. “Because they are crucifying Gadriella tomorrow. Nobody will be out buying pots when they could be in the arena watching her!”

“Oh,” I said. “Right.”

I’d heard about her, of course. The city was buzzing. I just hadn’t realised that they’d set a date. The legions in Germania had encountered some stiff resistance. A lot of good men dead. When they finally captured the enemy leader they’d been astounded to find that it was a mere girl, barely 25 years old, called Gadriella. She would have made a good slave, perhaps, but she might yet attract further resistance from her people, so she was too dangerous to keep alive. Therefore she was going to be given a grand view from a cross as the rest of those captured alongside her were despatched in various unpleasant ways in front of her for the amusement of us, the paying public.

That settled another question. Bugger the alehouse, my place tomorrow would be in the arena.

I was used to rising early so I got up at the same time as if I was going to work on my brother’s stall. When I got to the theatre there was practically no-one else waiting, least of all my lazy bastard of a brother. He’d inherited the stall from my father, who’d died last year, but the deal seemed to be that I did all the work and he took all the profits while I just got the same wage as any other labourer. I sighed, as I watched the sun rise. What had I got to look forward to? Years of graft selling pots and dishes to people? Or years of effort and danger as a legionary? I decided that being a legionary might offer more opportunity.

“Come on in!” A voice broke through my thoughts. I stepped forward, handed over some hard-earned coins, and got myself a place right at the front, by the ringside. A few of the theatre minions were bustling about making final preparations, but a large, ominous looking cross had been set up in the middle of the arena.

Gradually the theatre filled with spectators, and some sannios came on to keep us entertained until the main show got under way. These clowns acted out a grotesque parody of what was to come, one standing in front of the cross with his arms outstetched lamenting his folly while the others variously worshipped him or threw rotten vegetables at him, and some did cartwheels or other gymnastics for no good reason at all that I could fathom.

Eventually a centurion came in and chased them off, waving his sword at them, and we all clapped and cheered, glad to see the back of these idiots.

Then he turned and addressed us, and we fell silent. He bowed to the governor and his family in the main box seat, he would be doing the ritual thumbs up or thumbs down at appropriate points in the proceedings.

“Your Honour, Ladies and Gentlemen! Today we will bear witness to the crass folly of standing in the way of the Might of Imperial Rome! Behold! Gadriella of Germania, soon to be promoted to become Gadriella of the Imperial Wood!”

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 01.jpg

They brought her in, and I have to say that I and a good many others caught our breath. They’d dressed her in a pure white smock with a royal blue cape, and given her some kind of a glass rod to carry. A lucky legionary stood with her. Maybe being a legionary had its compensations, I reflected. I wouldn’t be getting to do that if I stayed working with my brother.

To be continued tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
“Your Honour, Ladies and Gentlemen! Today we will bear witness to the crass folly of standing in the way of the Might of Imperial Rome! Behold! Gadriella of Germania, soon to be promoted to become Gadriella of the Imperial Wood!”

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 01.jpg
Well, this does look like a promising start. The Centurion needs to work on his witty puns. The white gown and blue cape is a nice touch - good drama for the crowd. Make a show of it. Oh, look, a free seat! I'll just settle in. Now, where is that snacks vendor slave? :roto2cafe:

:icon_popcorn::icon_popcorn::icon_popcorn:

A very interesting start. Who wouldn't want to see more of that gorgeous creature?
But,

what, pray tell, is a sannio? The only use if that I've ever seen is an Italian word for a Samnium.
Apparently they were clowns:

Ancient Rome had several types of clown. Some were known as Sannio – they were a popular type of mime and famous for their ability to pull hilarious grimaces with their faces and body. It follows that this clown, unlike most others of this time, did not wear a mask. Another clown was Stupidus (hence our word stupid) which was Latin for mimic fool. He was usually bald-headed or wore a long pointed hat and a multi-coloured outfit (surely the predecessor of Harlequin?).

ancient_roman_clowns.jpg

Last edited:
The title is a clever and funny wordplay indeed - although it raises the expectation of a lot of crosses (a rare rebellion against the Romans, in which Barb was not involved?).;)

Yet, the narrator's brother should urgently follow a course of marketing. First of all to teach him not to close his stall during such an eventful day, secondly, for teaching him the benefits of buying some publicity for his stall in the arena. With the money from the advertisers, the governor could cover the costs of the event, making free admission for the spectators possible!:D

Looking forward to the next act!:thumbsup:

“Hail! Queen Gadriella!” The centurion bowed mockingly. She ignored him.

“See her fine clothes! See her glass sceptre! Behold, the barbarians set themselves up as kings and queens and they believe they can defy Rome! But their pride is a fragile as is that glass that she carries! See what happens when they meet a brave Roman soldier!”
Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 02.jpg
He nodded to the legionary, who with a swift movement, pulled the clothes from her. The rod smashed on the arena floor, and she stood naked before us.

She offered no resistance as the legionary bound her hands, and then he led her round and round the arena five times, so we could all get a close look at her. And look closely we did. The first time around I tried to reach out and touch her, but there was enough play on the rope for her to keep out of arm’s reach.

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 03.jpg

But the second time around she looked me directly in the eye, and I fell silent. Something about her captured my heart in that instant. I doubted if I was the only one, but the next time, she did it again, and I saw in her eyes the dread of what was to come. It was as if she had noticed me and was imploring me to help her.

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 04.5.jpg
But what could I do? A squad of soldiers marched into the arena, wearing the various uniforms of the legions that had conquered Gadriella and her people. I was not armed, if I’d jumped into the arena I’d have just become a sideshow for the crowd. Besides which, she was an enemy of Rome. We all knew the punishment for sedition – it was standing in the middle of the arena.

But each time round she sought me out and on the final time she spoke to me: “Please! Don’t forget me!”

“I won’t!” I promised. “Never!”

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 04.jpg
The legionary jerked the rope and led her over to the cross. Then he tossed the rope over the patibulum and pulled her arms up over head and secured her wrists to the wood. The next act in the drama became clear as an evil-looking soldier with a scourge made a big show of walking about, flicking the whip, while we and Gadriella waited.

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 05.jpg

Last edited:
But each time round she sought me out and on the final time she spoke to me: “Please! Don’t forget me!”

Young love, eh? I suspect the whole point of this sort of spectacle is to make people remember the punishments of Rome. I'm less sure they want their audience to identify quite so closely with the person being punished.

The combination of the Wragg storytelling style, which always invites us to bring our emotional reaction with us, along with the images in the illustrations suggests that we (or I, at least) will also remember Gadriella for quite some time.

But the second time around she looked me directly in the eye, and I fell silent. Something about her captured my heart in that instant. I doubted if I was the only one, but the next time, she did it again, and I saw in her eyes the dread of what was to come. It was as if she had noticed me and was imploring me to help her.

But what could I do? A squad of soldiers marched into the arena, wearing the various uniforms of the legions that had conquered Gadriella and her people. I was not armed, if I’d jumped into the arena I’d have just become a sideshow for the crowd. Besides which, she was an enemy of Rome. We all knew the punishment for sedition – it was standing in the middle of the arena.

My advice : there is nothing against being a bit sentimental, or humane, but it is not the kind of attitude to join the legions!:roto2nuse:

Especially if you see the evil look on the face of that soldier with the scourge!:eek: That's what the legion wants!:roto2qtemeto::roto2rie:

Oh look - now you will have to attempt some kind of daring rescue! But don't leave it too late - events are escalating rapidly, and I think some kind of Deus ex Machina is called for!

We move directly to the main action with a text complimented by hi-res manips. The layer masks of the first two reveal some beautiful hair detail, and I am forced to conclude that the model was originally wearing her dress - otherwise you have achieved an outstanding feat of re-clothing by photo manipulation!

Very nice work indeed - please proceed! :)

But the second time around she looked me directly in the eye, and I fell silent. Something about her captured my heart in that instant.
Wraggins, poor sod, appears to be smitten. And well he should be, for he has found the perfect heroine for what is shaping up to be a great thread. Go for it, Wraggius!

I've had another very welcome gift! :)

@bobinder has been to the timber merchants and has found me a very nice higher-resolution cross! :)

Isn't Gadriella lucky? :D

Anyhow, I've replaced the necessary images in #10 above, and from now on pretty much all the woodwork you'll see is courtesy of either Bobinder or @Madiosi! Cheers, Gents! :beer::beer:

The next act in the drama became clear as an evil-looking soldier with a scourge made a big show of walking about, flicking the whip, while we and Gadriella waited.
Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 05.jpg
I hadn't noticed exactly how evil-looking he is, but it's quite an apt description. You wouldn't think he would scowl quite that much when faced with a naked beautiful woman, but some people can't see past the whole "enemy of Rome" thing. We should really be sympathetic to him, I suppose. :rolleyes: :shakehead::thinking:

He looked up at the governor, who nodded.

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 06.jpg

With a terrible sound the lash almost instantly bit into her naked flesh. We, the crowd gasped, Gadriella, at first, just grunted, but by the fifth or sixth blow it was too much for her, and she screamed for pity.

I don’t know how many lashes she took but it seemed a lot, but eventually he stopped and they cut her down. She fell onto her hands and knees and tried to crawl away from the cross, as they put a ladder against the cross, unlashed the patibulum and laid it on the ground.

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 07.jpg

One of the legionaries grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to her feet.

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 08.jpg

“CRUCIFY HER!

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 09.jpg

CRUCIFY HER!”

Gadriella of the Imperial Wood 10.jpg

The crowd yelled out their blood-lust.

Once again, they looked for the governor. With a smile on his face, he stood and, with outstretched arm, gave a thumbs down sign. The crowd roared its approval, and Gadriella’s crucifixion began.

Back
Top Bottom