German and Austrian Culture and Words ( to run away but also having fun with it before )

Go to CruxDreams.com
For non-metric Americans: 417 km/h = 259.11 mph.:eek:
According to Wikipedia, the Bugatti Chiron has an electric inhibitor that prevents it from exceeding 420 km/h(261 mph) because Bugatti does not believe that any current tires can handle a higher speed.

Interesting to know that information about the tires because there are some satirical - and obviously unsubstantiated - remarks below this video at YouTube that this millionnaire was not always driving in accordance with German laws because when there are three lanes on an "Autobahn" and the left two of them are free, you have to drive on the right free lane in order to clear the way for a car which might be faster than yours! This is the German "Rechtsfahrgebot" (=> "Precept to drive on the right lane").
One satirical commentator remarked how dangerous it is to drive in Germany with "only" 417 km/h on the "leftest" lane when another car is coming from behind with 625 km/ h and what might happen when this possibly angry one has no free lane for his even faster car!
:eek: :doh: :facepalm:

Oh! Yeah!
In this thread, how could I ever forget to mention "The Hoff" here ...
:eek:
... because he "probably single-handed" killed communism in East-Germany right at the Berlin wall with this song :facepalm: being there at the right time and right place:

OK, I must admit: Many, many young East-Germans really loved tho hear this song at those times (but I had to hear it so often in those times that I do not really like it any more).

:rolleyes:

I simply knew before :oops: that we Germans would see "The Hoff" once again in connection with our vaccination campaigns because they should bring us "freedom" again:

244418412.jpg The German text means: "Sleeves up for the vaccination!"

Once again, my mother, who will soon celebrate her 90th birthday (! ... she was already 32 when I was born and I cannot believe it how fast we all become older) and she wanted me to look again for some old songs, especially by the famous Danish singer Gitte Haenning, who was one of the most talented Scandinavian stars right from her childhood.

In my opinion, even when she sang funny or dramatic songs in her career in Germany, she always had something very special in her appearance which was on the one hand "typical Danish funny-sympathetical" (Danish people usually cannot speak a German "sch"-sound, which sounds funny in German) but she also always had a "slight latent aggressiveness" which perfectly fit in my imagination to a very beautiful woman who is also a descendant of a historical nation of the most famous real "Vikings" in history.
All the international audience watching her in live performances always loved her.

When you hear and see these three songs in German by her in succession, you might know what I mean:

I want a Cowboy as my husband:

I want ALL:

"Just don't rejoice too soon" (=> which is the German version of "Take that Look of your Face" by Marty Webb and I think, the German version was indeed more successful for Gitte Haenning than the English version was for Marty Webb) :

Once again, my mother, who will soon celebrate her 90th birthday (! ... she was already 32 when I was born and I cannot believe it how fast we all become older) and she wanted me to look again for some old songs, especially by the famous Danish singer Gitte Haenning, who was one of the most talented Scandinavian stars right from her childhood.

In my opinion, even when she sang funny or dramatic songs in her career in Germany, she always had something very special in her appearance which was on the one hand "typical Danish funny-sympathetical" (Danish people usually cannot speak a German "sch"-sound, which sounds funny in German) but she also always had a "slight latent aggressiveness" which perfectly fit in my imagination to a very beautiful woman who is also a descendant of a historical nation of the most famous real "Vikings" in history.
All the international audience watching her in live performances always loved her.

When you hear and see these three songs in German by her in succession, you might know what I mean:

I want a Cowboy as my husband:

I want ALL:

"Just don't rejoice too soon" (=> which is the German version of "Take that Look of your Face" by Marty Webb and I think, the German version was indeed more successful for Gitte Haenning than the English version was for Marty Webb) :

I heard the first song (I want a cowboy as a man) when I was a little boy of 8 years .

I heard the first song (I want a cowboy as a man) when I was a little boy of 8 years .
In those times, you heard songs for a much longer time than today, I think. Even I can remember to have still heard it on the radio when I went to the school for the first time at my age of six years and I was surprised to hear later that this song was heard by my parents for the first time in the year when I was born.
And I thought then: "Wow, how old this song already is!" SIX YEARS! WOW! :eek: :facepalm:

Once again, I simply cannot believe our German news this morning and this strange coincidence. In another thread here, I posted this about the "Pfälzerwald":

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit now but my "local-provincial patriotism" was just awakened by your comment!
;)

Yes, there are sometimes "busloads" full of tourists visiting this castle for some hours and there is also a small restaurant inside, but as I said, this castle is even today in a relatively remote area of Germany and there are not so many tourists coming there - and this could be good for nature.

There are several ruins of castles in this region of the Palatinate Forest (= "Pfälzerwald") and only two of them were relatively well restored:
Berwartstein and much more famous: The "Trifels Castle", which even once was the medieval "state prison" for "VIPs = Very Important Prisoners" of the German Emperors, for example "Richard the Lionheart, King of England" was REALLY imprisoned HERE from 31 March to 19 April 1193 :

"Tri-Fels Castle" must have been one of the most impressive castle complexes of the Middle Ages until 1220 because there must have been 3 similar castles on 3 hills right behind each other with different duties for the emperors of the medieval "Hohenstaufen" family: One the representative Emperor's castle, one the prison and one the mint for the imperial coins of gold and silver, which was becoming even more important after the ransom money for King Richard the Lionheart arrived here. There are still rumours that there were hidden connection corridors between the three castles with hidden treasures in them but no one ever found them - as far as the public knows ...

In principle, Germany is a very densely populated country but by German standards, this "Pfälzerwald" is almost an European "jungle" because this is still the largest interrelated forest on both sides of the border to France, even bigger than the biggest Bavarian forest as you can see in these pictures:

View attachment 1122498 ... and zoomed in ... View attachment 1122500

The villages around the castles in this region are also very small by German standards as you can see by a look from the castle's tower:

View attachment 1122499 It was wonderful for me as a child to play in a garden next to these forests because I saw animals there of which most Germans think today that they do not exist any more in Germany but in these German "Northern almost-rain-forests", (just look at this tree's roots in front of the castle! : ) ...

View attachment 1122504

... they really do and I still have seen a few years ago these ones which seem for most German children today to be animals from a fairy-tale, but they still do really exist and they are much bigger than you would expect them to be when you have never seen them before alive:

View attachment 1122501 View attachment 1122502 View attachment 1122503

Now, I hear on the radio, that on the Northern border of this big German forest, a young German policewoman (24) who was still studying at a police-university and her male colleague (29) controlled at around 4.20 o'clock this morning a car about which they told their headquarter via their police radio, that they just found dead deer-game in the luggage space of a car and that they would control this car further. Then there are shots to be heard and the woman cries: "They are shooting at us! We need reinforcement!"

When their colleagues arrived, the young policewoman was already dead, her young colleague was dying in the arms of his colleagues.

The police does not seem to know more because both killed police officers were so young that they possibly made the mistake not to tell more about the controlled car or its license plate.
Now, there are several police helicopters in action and there are heavily armed police controls everywhere in this region of the German federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate.

This is absolutely crazy because who is still killing deer or any game illegally in Germany? No one needs to do such things.
We are not in or after a war and no one needs to starve here!

Something like this did not happen in Germany for decades! How crazy is this?

And what kind of poachers are even crazy enough to turn their weapons against the police when they control cars in the early morning?

I think, 99,99 percent of us Germans would like to support this morning the police in hunting these madmen!

Oh yes, those are the moments when a few would like to join the hunt.
Fortunately, only a few. Most of them trust the state.
And the others who would hunt, they would remember their training.
Always shooting at the legs.

The cheekbone and the nasal bone

I am not so sure if I really understand what exactly you do understand under "my" expression "support" here above.
Even in this movie "Support Your Local Sheriff", the Sheriff does not like the idea of his "supporters" running around with rifles and killing gangsters without his authorisation - although he is the fastest finger in the Wild West ... by putting his finger into the revolver barrel of his enemy before he can shoot:
:rolleyes: :facepalm:

I am still wondering how crazy one person must be to do such things without any recognizable reason.

The case in Annaberg was extreme and terrible enough:

A few hours ago, the German police released the name of one suspect and up to now, no one seems to know how the police could identify and find this man so fast, but the latest informations confirm that they already arrested the first suspect, still searching for others:

The regional TV-station even has installed a so-called "Live-Ticker" for the latest informations in this case:

Latest news and rumours in this case, which seem to confirm my hopeful imagination that sometimes "the universe" finds coincidences against "the evil":

A second suspect was arrested by the police. The police seems to be almost sure to have found the right ones. One rumour is spreading that the young killed policeman was just controlling the identity papers of one of the poachers when the other one started shooting. The policeman could shoot one time back before he was hit and in this shooting chaos, the identity papers were lost in the dark in the street ditch. Later, the forensics searching for traces, found these identity papers.
The killers allegedly did not remark their loss until the special forces of the police found and arrested them.
All this madness on a Monday morning in Germany ...

Incredible, isn't it !?!

By the way: Last week, there was a meeting for talks about peace in Eastern Europe between two persons we all know and there was this interesting picture from this meeting:

Ashampoo_Snap_Freitag, 11. Februar 2022_10h20m52s_001_.jpg

Now, the satirical German TV - "heute-show" had this forecast:
"If the length of the table is an indication of the host's understanding of the guest, the table for the new German chancellor during this visit next Tuesday in order to talk about peace in Eastern Europe will probably look like this:"

Ashampoo_Snap_Samstag, 12. Februar 2022_14h49m50s_001_.jpg

By the way: Last week, there was a meeting for talks about peace in Eastern Europe between two persons we all know and there was this interesting picture from this meeting:

View attachment 1129352

Now, the satirical German TV - "heute-show" had this forecast:
"If the length of the table is an indication of the host's understanding of the guest, the table for the new German chancellor during this visit next Tuesday in order to talk about peace in Eastern Europe will probably look like this:"

View attachment 1129353
1644693808675.png
The middle part of the 'table pic' looks like the Great Wall of China! Very symbolic, Xyulo - wanted by criminal international court in The Hague's table going across China!:devil:

But frankly, I think the table will be rather short, since Herr Scholz may take advantage for the fact that his two predecessors have kept alive the Spirit of Rapallo very well.

View attachment 1129361
The middle part of the 'table pic' looks like the Great Wall of China! Very symbolic, Xyulo - wanted by criminal international court in The Hague's table going across China!:devil:

But frankly, I think the table will be rather short, since Herr Scholz may take advantage for the fact that his two predecessors have kept alive the Spirit of Rapallo very well.

Mhm, maybe that the table will be shorter, but "the Spirit of Rapallo" was initiated by two countries which were isolated after WW I, almost two "pariahs" in those times trying to find someone in a similar situation to cooperate with each other only for the benefit of these two.
In those days, there were no German troops any more on the border of the other state.

Today, there is only one country really isolated and no one in Germany is comparing these talks next Tuesday to Rapallo.
There is already now even a German-led NATO-"Enhanced-Forward-Presence"-Battlegroup in Lithuania:

This is something which could make next Tuesday the length of the table very "variable" and "unpredictable".

By the way, the possible EU's and NATO's response to all possible aggressions on the borders to the EU and the NATO is also very unpredictable and I would think not only twice but several times before making a decision at the one end of that table.

Right now, I cannot say any more which nation has already sent special forces to which country in the East of Europe. It is right now a bit confusing like the deployment plans in and the maps of the "Thirty Years' War".

As far as I know, there have already arrived Spanish (!) Air Force fighter jets in Bulgaria, French and US-American troops and fighter jets in Romania, US-troops and fighter jets in Poland.
Norwegian Air Force and their special forces are training everywhere in the North Sea and on their borders to the East.
Danish, Dutch and German fighter jets are now stationed or additionally arriving right now in the Baltic States and I do not know any more which one's Air Force is in which of the Baltic States.
On the Western and Northern coasts of the Baltic Sea, the neutral states of Sweden and Finland are cooperating their military and their marine ships and their air forces are training together. On the Swedish island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea, Sweden deployed new anti-aircraft batteries and stationed new Swedish troops there.

And all of this for something of which everyone hopes that this will not happen.

We humans are really crazy, aren't we?

Last week will probably stay in my memory forever as one of the most absurd combinations of "events" I - and most of us Germans - have ever experienced.

You may not have remarked it, but in a few German cities like Cologne = Köln, there was really something like German "Carnival"!

OK, it was not like the ones were 2 or 3 years ago ...

Pictures from the Carnival in Mainz in 2020 from this page:

View attachment 825214 View attachment 825215 View attachment 825216 View attachment 825217 View attachment 825218 View attachment 825219 View attachment 825220 View attachment 825221

This year, the mood was very different.

It was rather like:

"Now, we have almost survived and overcome Covid-19, we have told our children that we will celebrate again to be funny fools, we have prepared our and their costumes and then, only a few days before, this crazy madman in the East ... aaargh ... we simply cannot believe it!"

In Cologne for example, the Carnival was not really completely stopped as in most other German cities. The mood there was rather like a "typical German Carnival 2022 opinion", which one father told to a reporter:

"We do this in first line for our children! We put on our costumes and we're going to sing together some happy solidarity-of-fools-songs now, demonstrating for our right to be human fools living in peace with all other human beings from all other nations, DAMN IT !!!"

And so this year, last Monday, the carnival in Cologne looked like this ... and was turned into a demonstration for peace, registered as such and the carnival's societies expected only 20.000 "demonstrators", but there came 250.000 of them (!!!) :

Ashampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h49m38s_036_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h49m06s_035_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_12h12m57s_003_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h52m35s_040_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h51m05s_038_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h55m42s_042_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h53m37s_041_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_13h45m38s_034_.jpg (German text: "Choke on it!")

All week-days before and after Monday were rather "historical" or sad or both, as you can imagine from the following serious faces:

Ashampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_12h06m41s_001_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Donnerstag, 3. März 2022_12h16m36s_005_.jpg

Last edited:
By the way:

The French-German cultural TV-channel ARTE is streaming now for everyone in / with French and German language-subtitles the complete satirical TV series "Servant of the People", which made a certain famous man such a star that even US- and European politicians and generals said this man deserves to get an Academy Award because it is obviously the role of his life and possbly his destiny:

I have heard that there is suddenly a run on IKEA furniture in Russia because IKEA is closing all of its stores in Russia "for unknown reasons", which is absolutely shocking for the customers there.
Even more shocking: Imagine you have just bought the last one of these tables there and you will not find enough Swedish screws in the plastic bags of the assembly instructions!

Ashampoo_IKEA Table A_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom