German and Austrian Culture and Words ( to run away but also having fun with it before )

Go to CruxDreams.com
Well, I have installed my app only "to be prepared" for the future, because - as far as I know - there was not one single infection registered in my German home town for 21 days now and so, I am not very surprised that my smartphone remains silent - and I hope, this app on it will stay silent for me as long as possible.
;)

Oesch die Dritten Jodl group (German Swiss)
The girl is Melanie Oesch

Geschwister Niederbachen (Südtirol)

Now, this is the opportunity here to explain that Germany is in some way still a divided country.

It is no more divided between capitalism and communism, but there are still terrible borderlines between West and East and also between North and South.

The most important German borderline is probably between the supermarket chains of "ALDI Nord" und "ALDI Süd", but there is also the so-called German "Weißwurst-Äquator" (= the "White Wurst Equator") ;)

The origins of this borderline were probably the antagonisms between the Prussian dominated German states in the North and the Bavarian- & Austrian dominated states in the South. The borderline is not always at the same place for every difference, but it is usually either the line of the river Main or the line of the river Donau.
South from the Donau is the heartland of the Bavarian culture, reaching out to the region up to the river Main in some differences to the North of Germany.
South from the Donau, the Germans love to eat "Weißwurst", north from the Main, the Germans often hate "Weißwurst".

South from the Main, there are sometimes "autograph-hours" in big German shopping malls with German "Volksmusik"-Stars like the "Wildecker Herzbuben" or the "Naabtal-Duo" and these shopping malls are playing their music which makes a lot of additional customers buy there on that special day.
North from the Main, no fire-alarm can make a German shopping mall empty so fast as an autograph hour with them when they also play their music and the Germans there refer to the "Naabtal-Duo" as the "Napalm-Duo" because of its devastating effects in the North of Germany!

I am living a bit north of the "Weißwurstäquator", so I just can still stand their music.
There is a lot of music in German language which is tradional "Volksmusik" and beautiful and I like it.
I also like music very much which is in some way unique or has a touch of skillful ability.

Melanie Oesch has it, but the "Geschwister Niederbacher" are a bit too far in the South for me, because there is a kind of "Volksmusik" which is no more traditional in Germany. It is designed in the style of "Volksmusik" in order to make lots of money with it, but it is no more "Volksmusik".

I will show you now some more musical hits in German which I still can bear although it is "hard at the border" for me, because it was in some way unique, but already designed for being a "heartbreaking" success and when you will bring more of such music to this thread, I will probably break down and disappear like a fog in the summer wind ;) :

By the way, the last song is from Peter Maffay, who later did not really like this song any more because it was too "schmalzig" for him.

Melanie Oesch has it, but the "Geschwister Niederbacher" are a bit too far in the South for me, because there is a kind of "Volksmusik" which is no more traditional in Germany. It is designed in the style of "Volksmusik" in order to make lots of money with it, but it is no more "Volksmusik".
I don't know if they make so much money but Jodl and this kind of popular music, 'Volksmusic' or not, have a rather mature public...
I love it

I don't know if they make so much money but Jodl and this kind of popular music, 'Volksmusic' or not, have a rather mature public...
I love it

You probably would not believe how much money is made in Germany with "moderne Volksmusik", because this music is rather loved by older Germans (may I ask you how old you are and how you got to German Volksmusik?) and they do not download from YouTube and they do not try to get unlicensed copies like the younger Germans who like Rock & Pop Music. They still really buy CD's with German Volksmusik or of what they think it is "Volksmusik".
So, many Germans are surprised when they hear that some German music producers like "Dieter Bohlen" are not only poducers of pop music but also of Volksmusik and German Schlagermusik. Dieter Bohlen is or was for example also producer of Andrea Berg and Beatrice Egli, who are famous for their "German Schlagermusik" and the most people who love their music are not fans of Dieter Bohlen or his usual kind of music. They love Andrea Berg and really hate Dieter Bohlen, but he is or was her producer. (I heard of a split, I think.)

When you are really clever, you can start your career as a singer in Germany as singer of modern Volksmusik, make a lot of money and then, if you have a good voice and an unusal background, you can switch to Schlager, Pop and incredible combinations of music.

An example for this is "HELENE FISCHER", who is probably THE GERMAN SUPERSTAR during the last 9 years. She was born in 1984 as a member of the German minority in Krasnoyarsk in Siberia/ Russia, in 1984 still the Soviet Union. Her grandparents were deported during WW II from the Black Sea to Siberia. In 1988 during the good relations between chancellor Kohl and Gorbatchev, the family immigrated to Germany and Helene Fischer's talent was already remarked in her German school. She made some education as singer and musical singer & dancer, but as far as I know, she started with German Volksmusik.
Then, she made the super-hit "Du hast mein Herz berührt", which I will insert here and since 2011, she made so much shows and tours that many Germans were wondering, when this woman is sleeping at all. According to the Forbes Magazine, she is probably the most successful German solo singer of all times and in 2018, she made more money (32 million $ before taxes) than Celine Dion or Britney Spears:

Her pure fortune and properties are right now estimated to exceed 35 million €, probably 40 million € !

But I have to admit, there is no other singer right now in Germany who can sing in perfect German, perfect Russian and perfect English, it is only Helene Fischer and no one else and she sings now everything: Classic, Pop, Rock, Volksmusik, mixtures of everything you can imagine!

Examples:

Last edited:
I know Helene Fischer's history. In French, this minority is called 'les Allemands de la Volga'.
I am 74 (it's indicated on my profile)
It's complicated... My grandmother spoke German perfectly. Before the war of 14 Franco-German friendship already existed and there were exchanges of children between bourgeois families.
I had a German (Bavarian) girlfriend in 83. Too complicated, unfortunately : I was married
The rest, nowadays, there is internet and Youtube

Patricia Janeckova some years ago (she changed her style). Find her in Wiki if necessary
My grandmother would have loved her ! Orchestra of Ostrava.
This video was withdrawn from Youtube for license reasons

View attachment Patricia JANEČKOVÁ Frühlingsstimmen (Johann Strauss II).mp4

Oh, "The Magic Flute" is probably "the most German" opera in history, very much like a fairy-tale and at the same time very sophisticated with some unexpected twists in its music and its story.
When Mozart died in 1791,in the night of his death, he was said to have been in his fever imagination in the audience of this opera, waiting for and listening to his masterpiece, the "aria of the Queen of the Night", which is incredible to hear because of the many "coloraturas" in it.
As an example of human masterpieces, it is on board of the voyager spacecrafts on the golden discs and it is really worth it, I think:

Oh, "The Magic Flute" is probably "the most German" opera in history, very much like a fairy-tale and at the same time very sophisticated with some unexpected twists in its music and its story.
When Mozart died in 1791,in the night of his death, he was said to have been in his fever imagination in the audience of this opera, waiting for and listening to his masterpiece, the "aria of the Queen of the Night", which is incredible to hear because of the many "coloraturas" in it.
As an example of human masterpieces, it is on board of the voyager spacecrafts on the golden discs and it is really worth it, I think:

I published the other one at the same time !
Who is the singer ? What a pity the scene is not visible !

"moderne Volksmusik",
of course a thing that is much more part of the everday reality of the modern Bevölkerung, than strolling through mountain meadows and yodelling
... is struggles with taxes, bureacracy, and so forth.

True "people's music" (volksmusik) should speak to the problems of the people and so here's some 'moderne Volksmusik' about taxes and bureacrats :devil: -- this is way more genuinely German than Oktoberfest :D

High notes, low notes. Notes in general........
OK, I thought it was my imagination lol
In that case, how is she considered as a great singer ?
of course a thing that is much more part of the everday reality of the modern Bevölkerung, than strolling through mountain meadows and yodelling
... is struggles with taxes, bureacracy, and so forth.

True "people's music" (volksmusik) should speak to the problems of the people and so here's some 'moderne Volksmusik' about taxes and bureacrats :devil: -- this is way more genuinely German than Oktoberfest :D

If I understad well, "Volksmusik" is only a name, by opposition to classic, variety, disco, rock, etc
quote strolling through mountain meadows and yodelling endquote
Its' all the interest !! Forgetting everyday's reality !
For bureaucracy, no need to go to Germany, Austria and Südtirol ! I already have it at home ! (J'ai ce qu'il me faut chez moi !)

If I understad well, "Volksmusik" is only a name, by opposition to classic, variety, disco, rock, etc
quote strolling through mountain meadows and yodelling endquote
Its' all the interest !! Forgetting everyday's reality !
For bureaucracy, no need to go to Germany, Austria and Südtirol ! I already have it at home ! (J'ai ce qu'il me faut chez moi !)
Honestly I wasn't being too serious, just gently poking fun at the genre -- certain topics and settings are overrepresented in a genre, the same will be true for say country music, rap, etc. but it's going to be hard for a German and a French to get all nuances across while writing in English ;)
(and I have no disrespect for the mountain people ... my grandfather on the maternal side came from a line of mountain guides ;)
Another way to say it is, that any genre that can be applied to very everyday situations is probably still alive ;)

Back
Top Bottom