Historical Slavery Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
Under the guise of being a brokerage house for animal pelts, the illegal trading and selling of slaves carried on for more than a century in the heart of downtown St. Louis...
drury-inn-international-fur-exchange.jpg
As the trade of female slaves was legalize the name 'International Fur Exchange' remained for while perhaps crass it was still relevant...

Tree

Amsterdam was important for Scottish trade, there were certainly Scottish depots there,
though that was from the east side, not so much involved in smuggling and slave-trading
as we were in the south-west :rolleyes:

I am curious what the factual basis (if any) was for the many Barbary Coast stories?

Quite a lot, though it depends on the individual story of course. However the Barbary States and Barbary Corsairs were incredibly active in slave trading and piracy. They were for most if not all of their history at least nominal vassals of the Ottomans and often practised piracy under the guise of the concept of ghazi which laid a more religious or at least noble veneer over brigandage.

Essentially their operations were a kind of business, though one conducted at sword point and cannon muzzle, they would happily ransom their slaves back to kin and countrymen and also at times agreed 'tribute' arrangements which was essentially protection money.

I'm glad RR answered this... I was searching the web for anything about Barbaria Coast and was coming up empty, though I am sure there is a connection...

Tree

The reason you came up empty is that you were using the wrong search words...

caprice-nude-beach-11.jpg ... the google search that works is "Barbaria ON the coast"
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom