Image Attachments That Do Not Expand.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hello all,
I've been interested in the recent posts by 'Crucificateur', 'Melissa' and others. Your efforts are brilliant and most generous. I've been able to expand all posts covered by "Olivia's Agony" but cannot expand about 50% of posts for "Thea's Last Hours. My key strokes are the same; what am I doing wrong, please?

try right-clicking on the image, select 'open link in new tab',
then (when it's finished loading) click on the tab that appears furthest right at the top of your screen.

I've not come across this before. I've checked the original threads and the Archive. Which are you using? Also what browser are you using?..Firefox is very dependable and Eulalia's method always works. It's a good idea to have at least two different browsers installed as even the best have annoying bugs. You can run them at the same time.

I've not come across this before. I've checked the original threads and the Archive. Which are you using? Also what browser are you using?..Firefox is very dependable and Eulalia's method always works. It's a good idea to have at least two different browsers installed as even the best have annoying bugs. You can run them at the same time.
Thank you Melissa for your swift response. I think I've tried using both the original threads and from The Archive. I'm using Safari 5.1.7 (part of Mac OS X 10.6.8) and Firefox 15.0.1. HOWEVER, as I sometimes feel my Safari software is perhaps compromised (inadequate responses or simply hanging), I've tried using Firefox BUT I try to set its Preferences to 'accept cookies' and click OK. Firefox then goes into a loop, asking me continually to set the Preferences to 'accept cookies'. I've tried to contact Mozilla to ask advice but without success. Sorry to be a burden. Thank you your continuing GREAT postings and communications.

Hi,
I've never even looked at Preferences. I'm using Windows XP. There is always Opera or even Google Chrome to try. I must admit I have never come across this problem before. Eventually all the Crucificateur pics will be put into folders so you will be able to download them all in one go.

I used firefox 15 and have upgraded to 16 now. No problems ever. But that's also on Windows XP.
Is the Java system healthy? This site uses a lot of Java as far as I recall, I suggest checking and updating to latest.

Addendum:
I am experiencing the same (or something similar) today on page 3 of the Ariel thread!
The image show does open, including all thumbnails, but when flicking through the images at some point the large preview will not update.
See attached example (note that the thumbnail and preview image don't match...after 2 mins of waiting on a fast DSL line)
Preview01.jpg
Arrow back and the slideshow works, back on forward and it gets stuck again!

However, if I use the "up-arrow" to open the picture full size in another tab, the correct image is displayed.
Preview02.jpg
This looks in fact like something we had about a year back already and it may make sense to have Imagemaker look into it.
The "slideshow"-app getting out of sync!
Reloading the page <ctrl> F5 sometimes cures the problem, just to have it show up elsewhere.

Hm. Link to Ariel thread is http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/ariel.2045/page-3
I find it takes half a minute or so to load for me, but once it does, no such problems,
the 'slideshow' rolls promptly and in synch.
It would help to know if others are having difficulties of this or any other kind with viewing images.

Attachments

• I receive the message in my mailbox.jpg
    I receive the message in my mailbox.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 12
It's inconsistent and intermittent.
As said, it worked for me after a reload of the page...
Just tried again, the "on the patio" gallery is hanging for me now...
The first one on the page worked fine.

The pics "On the patio" are at least 1 MB. This will always cause problems. There is no need for them to be more than the old limit of 400 KB. Even so I'm still not experiencing any difficulty.

Addendum:
I am experiencing the same (or something similar) today on page 3 of the Ariel thread!
The image show does open, including all thumbnails, but when flicking through the images at some point the large preview will not update.
See attached example (note that the thumbnail and preview image don't match...after 2 mins of waiting on a fast DSL line)
View attachment 53926
Arrow back and the slideshow works, back on forward and it gets stuck again!

However, if I use the "up-arrow" to open the picture full size in another tab, the correct image is displayed.
View attachment 53925
This looks in fact like something we had about a year back already and it may make sense to have Imagemaker look into it.
The "slideshow"-app getting out of sync!
Reloading the page <ctrl> F5 sometimes cures the problem, just to have it show up elsewhere.

How fast is your ADSL line?

How fast is your ADSL line?
5Mbit downstream, the 1MB pictures should not cause problems (and generally don't).
It's clearly not a line speed problem and also not a client computer side. It looks like the server side app hangs occasionally.

5Mbit downstream, the 1MB pictures should not cause problems (and generally don't).
It's clearly not a line speed problem and also not a client computer side. It looks like the server side app hangs occasionally.
I don't have any problem also sure not the computersite

Checked again.
After having had no "problem" with the first 3 or 4 picture sets I was about to write "no problem now"...when the next gallery got stuck.
I was observing network traffic.
Obviously the gallery loaded down normally, the traffic stopped after a few second ans was about the same as it was for the previous gallerys.
BUT, on the memory utilization side things were completely different. Firefox's memory utilization leaped up 1GB but the first image didn't show (only as tumbnails).
Moving back and forth didn't help.
So I tried to open the first pic in a separate tab using the up-arrow...what eventually worked after an eternity.
After that Firefox' memory utilization dropped back to normal.
Trying to refresh the gallery made it hop up by 1GB again... but after further waiting the first image appeared, memory dropped back and from there on the gallery was normal.
The two memory leaks can be seen in the enclosed graph, as can be the subsequent memory rise by about 250MB caused by the normal opening of another gallery.

So:
The problem may in fact be client side / Firefox specific.
It's intermittent.
It may very well be caused by some piece of code on the web page that isn't easily digested by Firefox.
Obviously the slide show application causes Firefox to "derail" a bit one time or the other. If the window is closed, the problem is gone however, so the source is in the web page code (source doesn't necessarily mean the error, it's just something that FireFox doesn't like)

Attachments

• PerfLog.jpg
    PerfLog.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
Ok, I am getting closer...
I tried the following:
Start with first gallery on Ariel thread page 3 and open one after the other.
Result: Every subsequent gallery adds another 250MB memory utilization to FireFox's memory allocation. Obviously around 2GB problems are starting with Windows XP 32bit...
The memory is not freed until the thread is left.
About one minute after going back to "home", the memory was freed!

Conclusion:
Somme command is missing in the "close slide show" code and the memory is not freed (in FireFox only?)
Something on the main page causes this memory flush to happen after one minute.
The problem may be depending on picture size (250MB per gallery may be true for Ariel but may be less in other galleries)

I'll now see if this behavior is similar with other computers.

Test 2: Same computer using IE8:
- Memory behavior is similar in Ariel thread (a little less memory utilization but slower)
- Not all images do open correctly either
- Going to other thread -> memory is not freed
- Going to main page: Memory is freed immediately

Test 3: Confirmed same behavior on 2 other computers, one Vista one XP, with very different base configurations. The Vista one is pretty much "out of the box".
So it clearly isn't a client misconfiguration problem but a code flaw.
Specially because IE8 and Firefox behave similarly.

I noticed that the "view full size image" command (up-arrow in the upper right corner of the slide show) flushes the memory for the currently opened (only) slideshow as well! This may help find out what code segment is missing in the "close slideshow" sequence.

This all should be reproducible...

Using Windows XP and Firefox and I cannot reproduce the problem in any way on all galleries. Puzzled.

Using Windows XP and Firefox and I cannot reproduce the problem in any way on all galleries. Puzzled.
just like me..............

Back
Top Bottom