(Lengthy) Thoughts on a "Realistic" Future Slavery Scenario

Go to CruxDreams.com

Alara

Spectator
Hi everybody, finally writing the post I wanted to when I registered a long while ago.

So OK, something I've been obsessed with for a long time is making a fictional world with legal slavery, populated with modern people you can relate to that doesn't completely shatter my suspension of disbelief.

Like, if I read or watch something in a science fiction setting I have this thing where I'm taken out of the story more strongly if they mention they still have the death penalty, for example, than I am by any magical scifi technology. Like, nowadays even most 3rd world countries have abolished it, but it's still going to be around 200 years from now? Nah, don't buy it.

Likewise, If I have a near future / scifi / contemporary AU scenario containing slavery, I'm always nagged somewhat by thoughts of how this would even work with modern attitudes that make the whole fantasy feel unreal.

OTOH, I'm also not convinved it *can't* be made to work.

I've found the discussion in these old threads (and other by @KageKamen ) really interesting and along my lines of thinking and would like to try to talk about this subject a bit more, in depth:

https://www.cruxforumslaverycom/xf/threads/global-slave-trade-and-demographics-modern-au.8759/

https://www.cruxforumslaverycom/xf/threads/slave-trade-in-a-globalised-world.9249/

So, in detail, what are the arguments against a future slavery scenario working?

Practically:
Slavery doesn't make economic sense compared to free workers. That's probably true for normal jobs and the kind of slavery that existed in the Roman Empire or the New World, where the focus was on economic production. However, this doesn't rule out uses where slavery is the point, i.e. slaves as a luxury good or object of prestige, which many past societies also had.

Theoretically:
Slavery can't be justified anymore after the Enlightenment.
That's more complex. When they put together modern Enlightenment philosophy in the 17th and 18th century they wrote a lot about the subject. They came to different conclusions and frequently also drew a distinction between slavery and indentured servitude, which to us seems pretty similar. Some of the Enlightenment jurists had a pretty logical answer: The didn't like slavery, but thought it was generally permissible in every instance where it's also permissible to kill someone, as the milder measure.
Slavery wasn't necessarily abolished because of this debate, but for historical reasons: First it became identified completely with the racism of New World slavery and then the global abolishment of slavery served as an opportune pretext for the British Empire for more colonialism, which also wasn't purely benevolent and altruistic.

So, to settle the theoretical debate, let's look at where new slaves historically came from:

1) Birth
2) Warfare
3) Debts
4) Self-enslavement
5) Criminal punishment

1) is the most obviously out. Heredity of social status is the one thing completely abhorrent to post-Enlightenment people. 2), well there are the UN and the Geneva conventions, even when people don't abide by them they acknowledge their general desirability.
5), no, not really (or at least not directly, see further down). Criminal punishments have been on average getting more humane for centuries. Though, tbh, for countries that still do have the death penalty, slavery would obviously be a milder punishment, so the humanitarian argument doesn't quite work there.

3) has at least a strong consensual component, but otoh, bankruptcy protections for debtors have also generally strengthened, so again, no, at least not directly.

This leaves 4) as last and strongest candidate. Now, while it isn't legal nowadays to sell oneself into slavery, you really can ask the question why it *shouldn't* be, in a post-Enlightenment society based on people's self-determination. You can find some philosophical discussion on this, but they all seem to be arguing backwards from the conclusion. Also, we live in a time, when more and more liberal countries acknowledge people to have a general right to euthanasia if they want to, which has the same issue of irreversibility and is arguably a more extreme exercise of personal autonomy than selling oneself into slavery. So by this logic, you could imagine a future scenario where this prohibition falls and that's what I would go with.

OK, if I have this idea of a future society where it was in principle legal for people to sell themselves into a state like slavery, how and why would this practically be even a thing? Why would there be interest in this, who would buy a slave, would anybody use this to really sell themselves as slaves?

Yeah, pretty certainly. I don't need to tell people here that there are people who would like to own a slave. And as for supply, there's a prize for everything.
It wouldn't need to be for life, and that wouldn't even make the most sense. Say, a typical slavery contract runs for 1-5 years. If the price of the slave is much larger than what you typically would earn in this time, yes, I think there would be takers. Think it like, the modal prospective slave owner is a male billionaire or upper multi-millionaire, the modal prospective slave is a young adult woman without great other carreer prospects. Now, in more liberal countries right now he can basically already hire her as a live-in prostitute, if both are so inclined. But if he would be willing to pay a lot more for a slave girl, with whom he didn't have to negotiate over everything and who would be great for bragging rights for a man who already has everything and she would be willing to chance it for this time, so that she could be finally manumitted as a wealthy woman, it would basically be a win-win scenario. In such a society I could totally see myself taking such an offer if I were 10 years younger and in different circumstances.

In such a society a slave would be something in between a Ferrari and a yacht. A symbol of the richest and most exclusive people (though, if it's set slightly in the future, there of course could be a lot of very rich people).
Slaves would have certain rights, they obviously couldn't be killed or irreversibly damaged and their money would have to be put untouchably into a bank, but everything below that could be fair game.

And if we accept everything so far, more avenues for slavery would logically open up. To 5) sentencing someone to slavery for a crime would be against human rights, but if you are *already* in prison for say 8 years and you yourself volunteer to exchange that for 4 years of slavery, to be sold to the highest bidder? Some of the sales price could be used to compensate your victim(s), the rest you would get after manumission. Slavery would certainly much more unpleasant than prison, but you would be free sooner and you would be released with a sizeable sum of money. Again, everybody wins in this scenario, criminal, their victims, society.

And to 3), of course not for normal debts, but if we go along with everything so far, I don't see how you could forbid people from using conditional slavery contracts as collaterals for loans you absolutely couldn't get otherwise.

Especially the latter two methods would most likely also yield a lot of male slaves. Well, some rich men are gay and I suspect male slaves would be a lot cheaper than female ones, so there would probably be a lot of not quite as rich people settling for one. Yes, there are rich women too, but like with prostitution, I suspect this they would at most be a small part of the customer base.

Sorry for the very long post, but this would be the most "realistic" idea for a modern world with legal slavery I could come up with. We like choice, economic growth and GDP going up in the modern world and this would serve all three. Also, I find the idea utterly fascinating.
How about you, would these thoughts pass your 'suspension of disbelief'-test? How could you imagine people acting in such a world, what would be some consequences I didn't think of?

Last edited:
Random other thoughts on this scenario:
- It would obviously work with the least amount of potential objections in a future society where there already was a minimum standard of living for all people.
- Slaves running away wouldn't be a big problem, because even if they were successful - which they wouldn't be with modern tracking technology - they would forfeit the money for which they undertook it all in the first place. However, since they got purchased by a fixed sum, they wouldn't have much of an incentive to perform without being actively coerced by their owners.
- I might become something ambitious young women would do for a few years between high school and university. Get financial security as well as a lot of connections, probably of a very intimate nature, to the highest echelons of society.
- Since it would be strictly voluntary, slaves probably wouldn't be purely an object of sympathy. Today there's already a lot of misogyny against young women who profit from their bodies or sex appeal. In this scenario this would probably be excacerbated by envy, since slaves after their manumission could be expected to be wealthier than most people, so I would expect a lot of schadenfreude towards them when they are degraded or abused in the moment. They may also have a reputation as sex freaks since this deal obviously would appeal most to women who are somewhat kinky in the first place.

Well even in own time we have seen slavery due to debt, poverty and force, whether in 3rd world factories or domestic service behind closed doors in modern cities. We have seen slavery due to war (ISIS), and we have seen forced labour following imprisonment, as in China, allegedly, and other countries. It is not that big a stretch to see slavery in a "modern" setting in the future. In one form or another it is an enduring human practice.

Yeah, but, while bad, most of these things are not actually slavery. The attraction for me is a plausible scenario to have it in a normal modern society and what changes and consequences would come from it.

Maybe one more addition, to clarify:
What I'm curious about, if anybody is interested in it, is to speculate on how people could see this working out while keeping a "realistic" feel.

Like, how would punishment or coercion work. I mean, I'm a normally intelligent adult. Getting my bottom spanked, getting whipped with a BDSM flogger or similar things, while great for erotic role play, will never actually *compel* me to do anything I really didn't want to do. Lots of pre-modern punishment discussed in this forum obviously *would* but wouldn't exactly leave the slave to be released intact later.
So, where's the point of equilibrium where people would actually end up? Maybe forgo corporal punishment altogether and just lock your slave into a cell for a few days? Also probably not that much of a deterrent and you miss their services for that time. Maybe starve them for one or two days days? Might work and have the benefit of keeping them slim. I also could see something like a sweat box working. Using it for days or in the outside heat would certainly carry to much medical risk, but just sitting naked in a pitch black room temperature box for say up to 12 hours would definitely deter me, without posing much physical harm. But I'm sure there's a ton of plausible options people in such a scenario would end up with I can't even think of.

Or the social etiquette developing around it, if we assume it in a modern-style world. I assume it would be pretty controversial, like prostitution in many countries today. Would it be something like a guilty pleasure you indulged in but didn't want people to know you had a slave? Or would wealthy people brag on social media with their slaves like with mansions or sport cars? Advertisement campaigns for young women about the horrors of slavery to warn them not to take the path of easy money (likewise, like you sometimes see nowadays with prostitution)? Tetimonials by women after their slavery on how they found the trade totally worthwhile?
Would owning a slave girl be seen as something that called for a divorce or more like a sex toy that should be integrated into the relationship? Would sex columns write stuff like "this technique is probably more realistically reserved for people who can afford their own slave"? Look how they treat their slaves as a red flag in dating advice?

It's that line between things that would actually work while still feel in keeping with the modern world that interests me.

Last edited:
I've found the discussion in these old threads (and other by @KageKamen ) really interesting and along my lines of thinking and would like to try to talk about this subject a bit more, in depth:

https://www.cruxforumslaverycom/xf/threads/global-slave-trade-and-demographics-modern-au.8759/

https://www.cruxforumslaverycom/xf/threads/slave-trade-in-a-globalised-world.9249/
OK, first off, I'm honoured to be an inspiration here. Getting more people excited about this sort of fantasy modern slavery makes me happy.

That said, I'm not sure quite how much I have to say, because it seems you have a strong standard of "suspension of disbelief" which prevents you "just rolling with it" as much as I normally do. (Granted, a new slavery arising from the modern world would offend both my suspension of disbelief and my tastes - but that's why I have it as an old thing which never really died and gloss over the fact that you'd expect that to change history.)

Furthermore, the sort of "trophy slavery" mainly reserved for elites spotlighted here isn't my favourite taste anyway. But I have noticed it is a quite popular one, so stories from such a world could prosper.

Regarding punishment, I'm always a fan of the shock collar. The intensity and duration of the shock can be varied, and other functions such as tracking can be added. I can't say if there's a health risk from overuse, though.

I'm not sure how people would see it... if it's reserved for the 1% and such it's likely to become another symbol of the excesses of capitalism. And any notable cases of slave abuse will make big news and raise calls for more regulation or bans.

I mean, just rolling with it is fine, but for me at least, a kind of realistic tinge makes it way better. I'm obviously working on a story in this setting and I'm unsure if I'm really able to think of a plausible range of behaviors and reactions in this world.
And this "trophy" scenario isn't really for it's own sake, but this way I can truly see the economics of it working, so that you really would have a sort of "win-win" scenario. Where did you notice it being popular, btw? I don't spontaneously remember having seen it like that before.

Eh, concerning slave abuse, I don't even think this is such a big problem with the idea. The limits of the arrangement would have been worked out in detail, and there also probably would need to be something like an NDA in every contract, even if just for the owners privacy.

The shock collar sounds plausible to me, too, though I don't have any personal experience with something like that and don't know how deterring it would be in reality.

I mean, just rolling with it is fine, but for me at least, a kind of realistic tinge makes it way better. I'm obviously working on a story in this setting and I'm unsure if I'm really able to think of a plausible range of behaviors and reactions in this world.
Oh, of course. But how fully justified a "tinge" has to be will vary among people. I can usually make it feel real to me without as much justification as you've pursued here - though of course there's nothing wrong with putting a lot of thought into things just for fun.

Mostly, though, I prioritise the "feel" I want and let economics aid it but not hinder it. I want both classical ways of slavery and the familiar modern world mixed, and so it's so.

Regarding trophies, I don't know about that in particular, but it seems a lot of slave stories have them owned by rich businesspeople and such rather then ordinary folks. (Perhaps this is partly because in scenarios where the trade is underground, the rich elite might be most likely to partake in it.)

As for slave abuse, if the limits are in the contract there will have to be someone in charge of enforcing them, right?

I think pain can be pretty deterring - for that matter I'm not so sure about your claims of just ignoring beatings. Do you think most slaves in the past weren't "normally intelligent adults"? Or is it your theory that knowing the punishment could be escalated to cripple or kill was the key point there?

Yes, I specifically meant spankings or the kind of whips you get as sex toys nowadays. A real whipping, which cuts and scars your back, would certainly do the trick, else it wouldn't have been used on slaves through all of history. But this wouldn't fly if the slave had the right to expect to continue her career as Instagram model or the like afterwards. Unless there is a kind of whip that is comparably painful without the danger of serious injury? I'm rrally not knowledgable enough about that myself, maybe someone else knows about it?
Plus, historically I guess slaves would realistically get whipped once and if they still didn't behave afterwards they would have been sold to a brothel, mill or mine, or even be killed.

And yeah, there would be a need to supervise. The way I imagine it, there'd be an obvious economic opportunity for sort of a slave dealership, where you can sell yourself if you like their offer and they in turn would brush you up and market you to the right audience. An at least semi-public auction would totally make sense in this context and the dealership could pocket the added value, which would be substantial given the sums involved.
In turn, the dealership would be responsible for the slaves safety during their servitude (maybe with like a panic button on the collar). An owner who transgresses the allowed treatment could be punished by reducing the slave's term of servitude without recompense, a slave who'd involve the dealership frivolously would face punishment at the hand of his or her owner anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, I specifically meant spankings or the kind of whips you get as sex toys nowadays. A real whipping, which cuts and scars your back, would certainly do the trick, else it wouldn't have been used on slaves through all of history. But this wouldn't fly if the slave had the right to expect to continue her career as Instagram model or the like afterwards. Unless there is a kind of whip that is comparably painful without the danger of serious injury? I'm rrally not knowledgable enough about that myself, maybe someone else knows about it?
Plus, historically I guess slaves would realistically get whipped once and if they still didn't behave afterwards they would have been sold to a brothel, mill or mine, or even be killed.

And yeah, there would be a need to supervise. The way I imagine it, there'd be an obvious economic opportunity for sort of a slave dealership, where you can sell yourself if you like their offer and they in turn would brush you up and market you to the right audience. An at least semi-public auction would totally make sense in this context and the dealership could pocket the added value, which would be substantial given the sums involved.
In turn, the dealership would be responsible for the slaves safety during their servitude (maybe with like a Panik button on the collar). An owner who transgresses the allowed treatment could be punished by reducing the slave's term of servitude without recompense, a slave who'd involve the dealership frivolously would face punishment at the hand of his or her owner anyway.
Yes... when it's strictly temporary contract work, it's got a whole different mood to it than with full ownership. And the slave's incentives are rather different when they're likely to make a haul out of it...

It's certainly got a lot of unique points of interest. But on the other hand, it might drift too far from slavery as some people enjoy it.

Yes, but even this has historical precedent. Indentured servitude, the seven years of slavey in biblical Hebrew law, even Roman urban slavery was usually transitory.
The requirement for volunteering with the resulting rarity and high value of slaves, that would be the specific consequence of liberal modernity. Though this honestly doesn't ruin the fantasy for me, a valuable slave is still a slave, but one who probably won't be underutilized.

Yes, but even this has historical precedent. Indentured servitude, the seven years of slavey in biblical Hebrew law, even Roman urban slavery was usually transitory.
The requirement for volunteering with the resulting rarity and high value of slaves, that would be the specific consequence of liberal modernity. Though this honestly doesn't ruin the fantasy for me, a valuable slave is still a slave, but one who probably won't be underutilized.
True - it just depends on what aspects of the situation excite you.

This very much seems like it would be the stuff of Mills and Boon novels and such.

So, just for fun, if you like, what are your comments on my questions? You wake up from a coma, find yourself in this world and win the lottery, with such a slave girl(?) now within your means and you've somehow assimilated enough to this new world so that it all makes sense to you. Is this something embarassing for you to be hidden away or something to show off? Keep her for yourself or share her with friends, or would that be to awkward? You try to keep her on a tight leash or go for a more cooperative relationship if you know you'll be equal citizens again one day?

Hmm... if I'm rich and can afford her, then I'd go for it. But as for the details... I'd probably try to "read the mood"? Show her off to those who are impressed or interested, downplay or hide her if it brings me scorn. Likewise sharing would only be with people who were up for it - and if she was. I'd likely want to keep a positive relationship with her, after all.

(Perhaps oddly enough, what I might want from her - besides housekeeping services - is live roleplay - playing a slave in different circumstances, a prisoner, and so on. Such a transition wouldn't erase my fantasies after all.)

If it matters, I would also vote for anti-slavery parties if there were any.

... the "intellectually I know vegans are right but I like meat"-line of thinking :)
Pretty much, I guess. If my tastes don't change, my views won't change either.

(To be honest, I might put that first and refuse to participate in the system. But that's not as fun an answer.)

I'm thinking you've presented this system as "something which could happen in the future", but to me the idea is abhorrent. That's why I mostly create AUs where slavery never became seen as unacceptable.

(Well, besides the one partly built from political frustration I made last decade... but that one was more satire than plausible.)

Yeah, sure, I also wanted a fantasy that doesn't completely morally offend me, and at least for me this scenario works in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom