Makar Memorial.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Celebrating the anniversary of Makar's birthday today, 17 February, a manipulation showing Alice crucified on the beach at Jurmala in Latvia.
Both the original subject and background photographs were taken by Makar in 2007.

esprit_de_makar_6_by_bobnearied_deebot3-fullview.jpg

(Image hosted on external site)

View attachment 971428
Bravo, Bob! That's one of my favorite poses from Alice and Makar.

Celebrating the anniversary of Makar's birthday today, 17 February, a manipulation showing Alice crucified on the beach at Jurmala in Latvia.
Both the original subject and background photographs were taken by Makar in 2007.

View attachment 971428
Nasty month to be born in, February. :D
That's a beautiful image, a fitting tribute and a masterful job of colourization of Makar's sepia photo. This is so well blended it could be one of those stylized photos - in fact, I suppose it is something like that. It's a really beautiful image.

View attachment 971428
You know, Bob, I think Makar would have been delighted if he could have known that he would be remembered and his memory honoured in this way. You have done him proud. The sheer effort that you go to to produce an image the quality of which is up to the standard required to stand in memory of Makar.

View attachment 971428
An amazing picture, both for the pose and the tormented sky. A very successful manipulation with colorization job. The skin tones and background are all perfectly matched and echoing. Bravo Bob !

An amazing picture, both for the pose and the tormented sky. A very successful manipulation with colorization job. The skin tones and background are all perfectly matched and echoing. Bravo Bob !
Thanks very much for your comments, Kam. Makar's seascape is an atmospheric image with strong colours and high contrast. It was an unusual choice of background for a subject which started out in monochrome. But I was pleased with the resulting manipulation, since it combines the complementary, dramatic elements of foreground and background, both photographed by Makar. :)

Today is the anniversary of Makar's birthday, 17 February.
In this year's tribute, the crux figure has been composed of authentic features from three photographs of Alice, taken by Makar in the 'Crux Forest'.

esprit_de_makar_7_by_bobnearied_df07465-fullview.jpg

Full size picture
View attachment 1131958

Gentle reader, it is possible to take Bob's images for granted. That would be an error.

Speaking as one who has dabbled foolishly in the art of photomanipulation, the degree of perfection achieved by Bob in this and in all his images is astounding. Of particular note here is the fact that the source image for Alice, as Bob tells us, is the 'Alice (and Koska) in the Crux Forest' set.

If you are familiar with that set, you will be aware that the Crux Forest is very, very green. Forests are inclined towards verdancy. A snow scene, on the other hand, is very, very white.

Believe me when I tell you that lifting a figure out of a green forest and dropping her into a snow scene requires a good deal more than a simple cut and paste. Bob has adjusted the colour of the figure of Alice, but also used filter layers to achieve an image that looks for all the world as though Makar took Alice out into the Russian winter, crucified her, and then grabbed this shot quickly before the poor girl froze to death.

Me, I've never yet managed to stop Alice from looking green. :(

So here we have a master at work. Respect, Bob!

Last edited:
I am speechless as to the quality of this image... so vivid, so real. Thank you!
Thank you Blue, I'm glad you find my interpretation so appealing. Makar's photography continues to inspire us. :)

Gentle reader, it is possible to take Bob's images for granted. That would be an error.

Speaking as one who has dabbled foolishly in the art of photomanipulation, the degree of perfection achieved by Bob in this and in all his images is astounding. Of particular note here is the fact that the source image for Alice, as Bob tells us, is the 'Alice (and Koska) in the Crux Forest' set.

If you are familiar with that set, you will be aware that the Crux Forest is very, very green. Forests are inclined towards verdancy. A snow scene, on the other hand, is very, very white.

Believe me when I tell you that lifting a figure out of a green forest and dropping her into a snow scene requires a good deal more than a simple cut and paste. Bob has adjusted the coulour of the figure of Alice, but also used filter layers to achieve an image that looks for all the world as though Makar took Alice out into the Russian winter, crucified her, and then grabbed this shot quickly before the poor girl froze to death.

Me, I've never yet managed to stop Alice from looking green. :(

So here we have a master at work. Respect, Bob!
Thanks for your kind compliments and observations, Wragg. Many outdoor crux photos are affected by the green colour of the reflected light, especially figures photographed beneath a leafy forest canopy. Fortunately Photoshop provides a number of possible solutions. In this case, I worked through the layers, selecting different parts of the figure to make varying adjustments of colour balance and saturation.

The tree trunk and branch of Makar's cross retain their original greenish tint, which is consistent with the natural influence of moss and lichen on timber. However, the white ropes were heavily desaturated to remove the green reflections. As you also observe, the use of colour blending filters contributes to the overall impression of consistency in colour, lighting and texture.

I find that I am often experimenting with techniques, and the end result may turn out differently from my original intention. But I think you are being very modest about your own work, and of course the real master being celebrated in this thread is Makar, to whom so many of us are indebted for our inspiration. :)

Last edited:
n this year's tribute, the crux figure has been composed of authentic features from three photographs of Alice, taken by Makar in the 'Crux Forest'.
I can't really say more than Wragg has already said. This is a magnificent image, for all the reasons Wragg has mentioned. Bob is meticulous in his attention to detail and the quest for a type of perfection that makes the viewer believe that the image seen is the original photograph, or perhaps an artistic composition that makes us want to believe that this was what the photographer had in mind. Whatever the case, Alice is believably crucified in the Russian winterscape, and we can imagine Makar smiling from the beyond and thinking "if only that had been possible" (although I'm sure he was just as happy to be photographing during the spring or summer when it was warmer, not to mention how Alice might feel about the whole affair :D ).
Believe me when I tell you that lifting a figure out of a green forest and dropping her into a snow scene requires a good deal more than a simple cut and paste. Bob has adjusted the colour of the figure of Alice, but also used filter layers to achieve an image that looks for all the world as though Makar took Alice out into the Russian winter, crucified her, and then grabbed this shot quickly before the poor girl froze to death.
It is a tribute to Bob in many ways that we look and see a lovely image, and we don't see the artifacts of all the layers and filters used. It's very easy in Photoshop to do a nice hack job and show the viewer every little mistake that you make as an artist, so that we all can say "now, there's a fellow who probably didn't quite get it, but look at all the layers!" I am willing to bet that with this image, as with all Bob's images, there are multiple layers and subtle adjustments, and as with all his images, they will have been chosen because they were necessary (even if those of us with less keen eyes might not catch the effect). This is a work of love, and we are privileged to view another masterwork from the Professor of Manipulations.

Me, I've never yet managed to stop Alice from looking green.
As a certain muppet said, "It's not easy being green."

It is a tribute to Bob in many ways that we look and see a lovely image, and we don't see the artifacts of all the layers and filters used. It's very easy in Photoshop to do a nice hack job and show the viewer every little mistake that you make as an artist, so that we all can say "now, there's a fellow who probably didn't quite get it, but look at all the layers!" I am willing to bet that with this image, as with all Bob's images, there are multiple layers and subtle adjustments, and as with all his images, they will have been chosen because they were necessary (even if those of us with less keen eyes might not catch the effect). This is a work of love, and we are privileged to view another masterwork from the Professor of Manipulations.
Thanks very much, Jolly. I decided to do something slightly different with a winter theme. Having made all the colour adjustments on the figure, only four filters were required to balance out the blending between the subject and background. The composite figure and the cross together account for twenty visible layers, but I'm glad this is not too obvious in the final result! :)

Bravo, Bob! That's one of my favorite poses from Alice and Makar.
I know this is off topic, but I have never felt Latvia (or any place on the Baltic Sea) would be known for beaches where people get naked and dive in. I know people do that in Chicago on Lake Michigan, and even in Lake Superior and off the coast of Maine. But water takes a long time to warm up after the winter. Too bad you can't be crucified in a wet suit.

In this year's tribute, the crux figure has been composed of authentic features from three photographs of Alice, taken by Makar in the 'Crux Forest'.

Full size picture
View attachment 1131958
Amazing Bob! The approaching winter storm adds to her fear and terror as she may freeze to death before her crucifixion finishes her. I wonderful tribute for Makar’s birthday featuring dear Alice.

Full size picture
View attachment 1131958
Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. Stunning work.

There has been some speculation about how Makar found and engaged his models for crux sessions. The matter was made no clearer when Makar insisted that he simply approached attractive, young women on the streets of Moscow and offered them cash from a suitcase filled with US dollars...

In the equally fanciful version of events illustrated here, a visit to Cruxton Abbey secures an opportunity for Makar to peruse a copy of MPL's 'Studio Girls', with a view to selecting a model for his next project. He is accompanied by a muse who is providing inspiration, and all indications are that he has already decided on the next model to request from the Fotokritik agency.

Remembering Makar on the anniversary of his birthday today, 17 February. Inspiration never dies.

esprit_de_makar_9_by_bobnearied_dfp6xg0-pre.jpg

(Image hosted on DeviantArt Sta.sh. Full size picture - https://sta.sh/0emhejyzh6y )​

There has been some speculation about how Makar found and engaged his models for crux sessions. The matter was made no clearer when Makar insisted that he simply approached attractive, young women on the streets of Moscow and offered them cash from a suitcase filled with US dollars...

In the equally fanciful version of events illustrated here, a visit to Cruxton Abbey secures an opportunity for Makar to peruse a copy of MPL's 'Studio Girls', with a view to selecting a model for his next project. He is accompanied by a muse who is providing inspiration, and all indications are that he has already decided on the next model to request from the Fotokritik agency.

Remembering Makar on the anniversary of his birthday today, 17 February. Inspiration never dies.

esprit_de_makar_9_by_bobnearied_dfp6xg0-pre.jpg

(Image hosted on DeviantArt Sta.sh. Full size picture - https://sta.sh/0emhejyzh6y )​
What a lovely big teasel. Uses?

Back
Top Bottom