Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
1913. Suffragette Emily Davison runs out in front of the king's horse, Anmer, at the Epsom Derby. She is trampled and dies a few days later, never regaining consciousness.
1917. The very first Pulitzer Prizes are awarded. Laura E. Richards, Maude H. Elliott, and Florence Hall receive the first Pulitzer for a biography (for Julia Ward Howe). Jean Jules Jusserand receives the first Pulitzer for history for his work With Americans of Past and Present Days. Herbert B. Swope receives the first Pulitzer for journalism for his work for the New York World.
1919. The U.S. Congress approves the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which guarantees suffrage to women, and sends it to the U.S. states for ratification.

1919. The U.S. Congress approves the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which guarantees suffrage to women, and sends it to the U.S. states for ratification.

...which would have never passed if the dumb men in congress didn't know that suffrage is not the same as suffering...

t

4 june 1584. Sir Walter Raleigh establishes first English colony on Roanoke Island, old Virginia (now North Carolina). The colony was doomed and disappeared from the face of the earth. The fate of the final group of colonists has yet to be ascertained, leading to the continuing interest in what became known as the "Lost Colony" for over 400 years. In the 21st century, even as archaeologists, historians and scientists continue to work to resolve the mystery, visitors come to see the longest-running outdoor theatre production in America: "The Lost Colony."
Roanoke Island is one of the three oldest surviving English place-names in the U.S. Along with the Chowan and Neuse Rivers, it was named in 1584 by Captains Philip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe, sent by Sir Walter Raleigh.

That's very interesting. Presumably 'English place-names' here means 'place-names given by English speakers'.
Roanoke isn't definitely English (in the linguistic sense), Chowan and Neuse certainly aren't, so I wonder how they came to be given by English speakers, Amadas and Barlowe? I guess the river-names were English attempts at Native American names?

I did it this time in another way en picked some nice flashes out the total list but i lost the rest:(

I did it this time in another way en picked some nice flashes out the total list but i lost the rest:(
Yes, if you've got time to make a selection it makes it more reader-friendly, thanks Admi,​
a shame you lost the rest.​
But neither Dunkirk nor Tienanmen Square should be forgotten -​
I thought you'd been silenced by the Chinese government!​

you should know better about your master my dear bardslave............. but I thought you would serve your master with some of your advice and therefore I'm most grateful to you.............I'm busy with some restorings and yes the Massacre in Tanianmen Square was too important for the Free world. But thought the War events of june were for me the longest day (6 June)

But thought the War events of june were for me the longest day (6 June)
Understandably and rightly so, but without the Dunkirk evacuation, there'd have been no D-Day​
(my grandpa was one of the 300,000 or so British servicemen saved from the beach at Dunkirk)​

y're right dear but i must defend myself though:oops: but glad someone corrected if i'm not correct:D

June 5

469 BC. The Greek philosopher Socrates is born. Credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy, he is an enigmatic figure known chiefly through the accounts of later classical writers, especially the writings of his students Plato and Xenophon, and the plays of his contemporary Aristophanes.

AD 70. Titus and his Roman legions breach the middle wall of Jerusalem. Jerusalem was sacked; the Temple was destroyed and much of the population was killed or dispersed. While in Jerusalem he also began a love affair with Berenice of Cilicia, sister of Herod Agrippa.
The Siege of Jerusalem in the year 70 was a decisive event in the First Jewish-Roman War, followed by the fall of Masada in 73. The Roman army, led by the future Emperor Titus, besieged and conquered the city of Jerusalem, which had been occupied by its Jewish defenders in 66. The city and its famous Temple were completely destroyed.
The destruction of the Temple is still mourned annually as the Jewish fast Tisha B'Av, and the Arch of Titus, depicting and celebrating the sack of Jerusalem and the Temple, still stands in Rome. (See picture.)
Titus, son of Emperor Vespasian, was a successful general who crushed the Jewish Rebellion in 70. He succeeded his father and was considered a good emperor by Tacitus and other contemporary historians; he is best-known for his public building program in Rome and for his generosity in relieving the suffering caused by two disasters, the Mount Vesuvius eruption of 79 and the fire of Rome of 80.

Attachments

• Arch_of_Titus.jpg
    Arch_of_Titus.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 11
1305. Pope Clement V is elected. He appears to have conducted himself throughout his pontificate as the mere tool of the French monarchy,
On October 13, 1307, hundreds of the Knights Templar were arrested in France, an action apparently financially motivated and undertaken by the efficient royal bureaucracy to increase the prestige of the crown. French King Philip IV was the force behind this ruthless move, but it has also tarnished the historical reputation of Clement V.
In pursuance of the King's wishes, Clement V summoned the Council of Vienne (1311), which refused to convict the Templars of heresy. The Pope abolished the order anyway

1798. At the Battle of New Ross, the attempt to spread United Irish Rebellion into Munster is defeated. The battle took place in County Wexford in southeastern Ireland, during the Irish Rebellion of 1798. It was fought between the Irish Republican insurgents called the United Irishmen and British Crown forces composed of regular soldiers, militia and yeomanry.
The attack on the town of New Ross on the River Barrow, was an attempt by the recently victorious rebels to break out of county Wexford across the river Barrow and to spread the rebellion into county Kilkenny and the outlying province of Munster. The rebels, however, were forced to retreat.
No effort to pursue the withdrawing rebels was made but when the town had been secured, a massacre of prisoners, trapped rebels and civilians of both sympathies alike began which continued for days. Some hundreds were burned alive when rebel casualty stations were torched by victorious troops. More rebels are believed to have been killed in the aftermath of the battle than during the actual fighting.

1851. Harriet Beecher Stowe's anti-slavery serial, Uncle Tom's Cabin or, Life Among the Lowly starts a ten-month run in the National Eraabolitionist newspaper.
Harriet Beecher Stowe was an American abolitionist and author. Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) depicted life for African-Americans under slavery; it reached millions as a novel and play, and became influential in the U.S. and Britain, energizing anti-slavery forces in the American North while provoking widespread anger in the South. Upon meeting Stowe, Abraham Lincoln allegedly remarked, "So this is the little old lady who started this new great war!"

1870. A huge section of the city of Constantinople, Turkey, is set ablaze. When the smoke finally cleared, 3,000 homes were destroyed and 900 people were dead. The fire began at a home in the Armenian section of the Valide Tchesme district. A young girl was carrying a hot piece of charcoal to her family's kitchen in an iron pan when she tripped, sending the charcoal out the window and onto the roof of an adjacent home. The fire quickly spread down Feridje Street, one of Constantinople's main thoroughfares.
The Christian area of the city was quickly engulfed. There was a high degree of cooperation among the various ethnic groups who called the city home, but even this was no match for the high winds that drove the rapidly spreading fire. An entire square mile of the city near the Bosporus Strait was devastated. Only stone structures, mostly churches and hospitals, survived the conflagration

1933. The United States goes off the gold standard, a monetary system in which currency is backed by gold, when Congress enacted a joint resolution nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold. The United States had been on a gold standard since 1879, except for an embargo on gold exports during World War I, but bank failures during the Great Depression of the 1930s frightened the public into hoarding gold, making the policy untenable.

1942. President Franklin D. Roosevelt issues a stern statement warning to Japan to stop using poison gas in its war on China. At this point during World War II, the United States and Japan were engaged in battle in the Pacific; Japan was also at war with China. Roosevelt received intelligence reports that Japanese military forces had used poisonous gas and other forms of what he called inhuman warfare, including biological agents, on innocent Chinese civilians, which violated the Geneva Convention of 1925.
Roosevelt warned that if Japan continued to use chemical warfare against China, the U.S. would consider such actions tantamount to a chemical or biological attack on America and the United Nations and respond with similar attacks. The president minced no words, stating that "retaliation in kind and in full measure will be meted out. We shall be prepared to enforce complete retribution. Upon Japan will rest the responsibility." Japan continued its use of these weapons, but on a smaller scale, until the end of the war, managing to keep its activities secret.
1944. Duriing War II, more than 1000 British bombers drop 5,000 tons of bombs on German gun batteries on the Normandy coast in preparation for D-Day.

1956. Elvis Presley introduces his new single, Hound Dog, on The Milton Berle Show, scandalizing the audience with his "suggestive" hip movements.
Reaction to Elvis' performance in the mainstream media was almost uniformly negative. "Mr. Presley has no discernible singing ability....For the ear, he is an unutterable bore," wrote critic Jack Gould in the next day's New York Times. "His one specialty is an accented movement of the body that heretofore has been primarily identified with the repertoire of the blonde bombshells of the burlesque runway. The gyration never had anything to do with the world of popular music and still doesn't." In the New York Daily News, Ben Gross described Presley's performance as "tinged with the kind of animalism that should be confined to dives and bordellos," while the New York Journal-American's Jack O'Brien said that Elvis "makes up for vocal shortcomings with the weirdest and plainly suggestive animation short of an aborigine's mating dance." Meanwhile, the Catholic weekly America got right to the point in its headline: "Beware of Elvis Presley." But for teens of my generation, Elvis had become the King of Rock and Roll.

1968. U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy is shot at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California by Palestinian Sirhan Sirhan. Kennedy dies the next day.

1977. The Apple II, the first practical personal computer, goes on sale.

Back
Top Bottom