Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
One hundred and ten years ago today, on 18 May 1911, Gustav Mahler died in Vienna, leaving his music for Barbirolli and Bernstein to resurrect -- and his wife Alma to... OK, I'm going to stop here -- slut-shaming is out of fashion now. :devil:

Well, there are better targets -- Alma wasn't up to what Sada Abe did twenty-five years later, on 18 May 1936. This Japanese geisha strangled her lover to death, then emasculated him and went off with his cock and balls, to wander in the realm of the senses.

Eighty years ago, in the early morning of May 24th 1941, the German battleship Bismarck sank HMS Hood during the Battle of Denmark Strait.

Bismarck and the cruiser Prinz Eugen were on their way for attacking Brtish convoys in the Atlantic.

HMS Hood had since her completion the reputation of the strongest and largest battleship in the world, yet she had basically been designed as a battlecuiser (thinner armour in exchange for higher speed). A hit from Bismarck penetrated the armour and made one of her ammunition magazines blow up. HMS Hood broke in two and sank immediately. There were only three survivors on a crew of 1418 (four according to one source).

The sinking of HMS Hood left the battleship HMS Prince of Wales alone. Brand new from the yard (there were still workmen from the yard on board), suffering from technical malfunctions of the main battery turrets, and having received a deadly hit on the bridge, the ship broke off the action and hid behind a smoke screen. Yet, one of her hits on Bismarck, had made lots of the latter's fuel either contaminated by sea water, or unavailable. Bismarck would be forced to return to port, which she never reached.

Some footage from the battle, taken from Prinz Eugen.

A few anecdotes about the battle of Denmark Strait

Here is an interesting video about the sinking of HMS Hood.

The last survivor of HMS Hood, Tedd Briggs, died on October 4th 2008. The story from a ‘fourth survivor’, I have from Ludovic Kennedy’s ‘Pursuit’ (1974) about the hunt for the Bismarck. The three ‘official’ survivors were picked up from a raft by a Royal Navy ship. But Kennedy mentions a fourth crew member, who apparently was rescued by Irish fishermen. Brought onshore, he however did not report immediately, and apparently tried to live on undetected. However he was arrested in England a few months later, during police control in a railway station, and was court martialed. Since, I have found no more mention about this anecdote.

The cruiser Prince Eugen would continue the mission alone, but without success, plagued by engine troubles. She was finally forced to return to Brest. In February 1942, she took part in Operation Cerberus, with Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, the famous ‘Channel Dash’ during daylight, taking the British completely by surprise.

Prinz Eugen was the only major Kriegsmarine ship that survived World war II. Captured after the Reich's surrender, she was used as one of the target ships during atomic tests at Bikini Atoll. Prinz Eugen survived two tests, and was towed to the shore of Kwajalein Island, where she soon capsized. Her overturned wreck is still visible there, a strange survivor of the battle already eighty years ago.

pe1.jpgpe2.jpg

I hope everyone (in the US) had a meaningful Memorial Day.

As a person who lived through Vietnam, I think I understand something about the horrors of war. And not all war is necessary. But sometimes it is. That, in itself, may be the most horrible fact about war. But the young men and women who are sent to it and die will always deserve our respect and should never be dismissed from our memory.

I am staunchly anti-war. But I am as staunchly pro-soldier/sailor/etc. With this in mind, here is a poem for this day, written by a British poet and soldier, Wilfred Owen. He died in action in World War I.

Dulce et Decorum Est​

BY WILFRED OWEN

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Note:
Latin phrase is from the Roman poet Horace: “It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country.”

I hope everyone (in the US) had a meaningful Memorial Day.

As a person who lived through Vietnam, I think I understand something about the horrors of war. And not all war is necessary. But sometimes it is. That, in itself, may be the most horrible fact about war. But the young men and women who are sent to it and die will always deserve our respect and should never be dismissed from our memory.

I am staunchly anti-war. But I am as staunchly pro-soldier/sailor/etc. With this in mind, here is a poem for this day, written by a British poet and soldier, Wilfred Owen. He died in action in World War I.

Dulce et Decorum Est​

BY WILFRED OWEN

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Note:
Latin phrase is from the Roman poet Horace: “It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country.”
If I recall, he was killed in action only a month or two before the armistice.

If I recall, he was killed in action only a month or two before the armistice.
Actually, it was November 4, 1918, a week before the armistice.
In the American Expeditionary Force, there was an order that even after the armistice was signed "pressure" needed to be kept on the Germans to prevent any backsliding. One officer was leading a charge on a trench. A German officer came out with a white flag. "Sir, only three hours to go."
(Well, "careers" were at stake, too. )
In World War II, there was an "operation Barney" (named after the commander) that occurred just weeks before the atomic bomb. Twelve submarines, using a sonar technique that could detect mines, sailed through the heavily mined passage into the sea between Japan and Korea to sink as many ships as could be found. There were some close calls, but all made it and all made it out. There was some question as to why, with Japan clearly defeated, there was a need to take such a risk. Unlike in World War I, though, the Americans knew that the Japanese cabinet was deadlocked (i.e., the Army and its veto would not allow any peace negotiations), and pressure was needed.
There is a sense of what the British call "bloody-mindedness" that creeps into long wars, overriding common sense.

On this day in 1980, Mount Saint Helens erupted!

Apparently that cloud moved at supersonic speeds. It was a Sunday, thank God--otherwise there would have been Weyerhauser loggers in the woods trying to salvage as much timber as possible. As it was, a crew foreman and his wife had hiked in to check on the equipment and didn't make it out. As in "vaccine hesitancy", there was massive pressure to relax restrictions on the "no go" zone around the mountain in the name of "personal freedom". Around 150 people were killed.

Today, 2011 was the Vancouver Hockey Riots, Looting, mayhem, police cars overturned but this was the photo that was the source of media scrutiny and comment! The lovers!

Attachments

• The riot lovers.jpg
    The riot lovers.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom