Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Until relatively recently, even military computer systems had very poor security as the threat was seen as non-existent as only governments would have access to computers. At the time these systems were established, computers cost tens of millions and filled rooms the size of warehouses. Nobody could have ever forseen a time when a computer would become a home appliance, let alone something that would fit in the palm of your hand.
I was thinking during the 80s, when War Games was made. The public would have had access to computers of companies and services through phone lines, but not as many people used home computers back then, so there was an assumption that only other companies and services would be using computers in that way.
But I have no experience using computers back then, so I can be easily wrong.

In the 90's the computer (a Sun running Unix with 40 dumb terminals) in each of six branches of the organisation I worked for were linked to HQ by a dedicated small network. The cables were specially laid by the UK's only operator at the time (BT) and were about 1inch (2cm) in diameter, the techs had one hell of a job threading them into our old building. That was when I learnt to ping.

I'm of the generation that was introduced to these new toys some grown-ups were strangely excited about and most others viewed with suspicion, in the form of the BBC Micro, that sat in the classroom and we played Granny's Garden, and learnt a bit of LOGO, I remember working out a program that got the 'turtle' to draw a neat star on the screen and felt quite pleased with myself, but not sure what the point of it all was. Then in my teens I had an Amstrad PCW, which was a sort of clever typewriter and I think I learnt a lot from using that - I loved Locoscript, especially the way you could switch from one alphabet to another (Roman to Greek to Cyrillic etc.) with a couple of keystrokes, much better than the dog's breakfast of symbols in Word. By the time I finished school there was a system installed that we seniors were allowed to use to send messages (emails) around the school, but it was when I began university that the internet really hit the fan and everything changed almost too fast to keep up with - though even then, dial-up phone connections were so slow you simply lost the will to live, glitches and crashes made me think there were Barbaria-like gremlins haunting my machine, and security was - well - unheard of.

In the 90's the computer (a Sun running Unix with 40 dumb terminals) in each of six branches of the organisation I worked for were linked to HQ by a dedicated small network. The cables were specially laid by the UK's only operator at the time (BT) and were about 1inch (2cm) in diameter, the techs had one hell of a job threading them into our old building. That was when I learnt to ping.
Legend has it that when Oracle was just a startup and had rented offices, stringing cables between rooms was an issue. The founder, Larry Ellison, took a hammer and smashed a hole through the drywall.
Larry has been married five times, and is definitely a (rich) type A.

Yes, that was one way to do it. Have a network of machines with dedicated connections to each other (maybe even through "routers") and guard all the equipment with dobermans or cobras (you'd have to keep them warm) or crocodiles (they can stay motionless and practically invisible) or something. Once you let in outside connections, though, even if you only go through one "router" and restrict what can come in, you are open.
There is a book from 1989 called "The Cuckoo's Egg" about the first internet worm (a program that can replicate itself and install itself on any machines it can get to), written as a prank by the son of a computer expert. The author of the book was a former astronomer who worked at a computer facility at Berkeley--this was when scientists and mathematicians and such were hired because they could code and had used computers and knew systems like UNIX. On his first day on the job he noticed a discrepancy in a billing of 75 cents, and ultimately traced it back to a spy in East Germany. (There is a great line in there where he says he was unaware that the United States had hundreds of thousands of troops in Europe to defend NATO--as if he paid no attention at all to the Cold War). Anyway, at that time people were not attuned to the dangers of networking, and the people who invented most of the technology of the internet wanted things to be open so anyone could take advantage of this new communication method. Supposedly Steve Jobs made programming Apple Computers difficult (akin to no right to repair) because (a) he didn't want anyone with specialized knowledge to be able to do things Joe User couldn't do and (b) he didn't himself know how to code. It was a different world--still yearning for the days of "free love" in the '60's.

On August 10, 1915, Lieutenant Henry Moseley, Royal Engineers, was killed at Gallipoli. Like many of his scientific colleagues on both sides—many of whom he knew personally--throughout Europe, he had (against the wishes of his family) enlisted when the “European Civil War” broke out in 1914.

Ernest Rutherford, already a Nobel Prize winner and the discoverer of the atomic nucleus (people were skeptical, but Moseley’s work validated the model, as well as Bohr’s nascent description of the atom), fired off an angry letter to the prime minister demanding that such a thing never be allowed to happen again. (The New Zealand farm boy didn’t believe anyone should be cannon fodder, but this loss sent him over the edge.)

Moseley’s X-ray experiments confirmed that the “atomic number” in the periodic table of the elements was based on physics. He designed and built much of his equipment himself on a shoestring budget. His experiments and the experimental formula he derived (Moseley’s Law) showed that the energies of X-rays scattered from elements followed an integer corresponding to the element’s position in the periodic table. He validated the prediction of two missing elements between aluminum and gold (which were not found until nuclear reactors were invented, because all of their isotopes are so radioactive that all that are left of them in the earth’s crust are undetectable traces) and predicted two more that no one had suspected. He confirmed that cobalt and nickel were in the right places, as the chemistry showed but the weights did not. He demonstrated that “didymium” was really two different elements, praesodymium and neodymium, which couldn’t be separated chemically at the time. He showed that there were only 15 “transition” metals before the theory caught up with the spectroscopic observations in the 1930’s.

Neither the Noble Prize in chemistry nor in physics were awarded in 1916—the preferred recipient was dead.

Robert Millikan, whose “oil drop” experiment that measured the charge on the electron won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1923, said this.

"In a research which is destined to rank as one of the dozen most brilliant in conception, skillful in execution, and illuminating in results in the history of science, a young man twenty-six years old threw open the windows through which we can glimpse the sub-atomic world with a definiteness and certainty never dreamed of before. Had the European War had no other result than the snuffing out of this young life, that alone would make it one of the most hideous and most irreparable crimes in history."

moseley.jpgErnest-Rutherford-splitting-the-Atom-1919.jpgotd-mb-0322-millikan.jpg

Yes, that was one way to do it. Have a network of machines with dedicated connections to each other (maybe even through "routers") and guard all the equipment with dobermans or cobras (you'd have to keep them warm) or crocodiles (they can stay motionless and practically invisible) or something. Once you let in outside connections, though, even if you only go through one "router" and restrict what can come in, you are open.
There is a book from 1989 called "The Cuckoo's Egg" about the first internet worm (a program that can replicate itself and install itself on any machines it can get to), written as a prank by the son of a computer expert. The author of the book was a former astronomer who worked at a computer facility at Berkeley--this was when scientists and mathematicians and such were hired because they could code and had used computers and knew systems like UNIX. On his first day on the job he noticed a discrepancy in a billing of 75 cents, and ultimately traced it back to a spy in East Germany. (There is a great line in there where he says he was unaware that the United States had hundreds of thousands of troops in Europe to defend NATO--as if he paid no attention at all to the Cold War). Anyway, at that time people were not attuned to the dangers of networking, and the people who invented most of the technology of the internet wanted things to be open so anyone could take advantage of this new communication method. Supposedly Steve Jobs made programming Apple Computers difficult (akin to no right to repair) because (a) he didn't want anyone with specialized knowledge to be able to do things Joe User couldn't do and (b) he didn't himself know how to code. It was a different world--still yearning for the days of "free love" in the '60's.
I have that book and recommend it!

Cuomo resigned from governor of NY yesterday... hardly covered by the US media. I thought he was to be the next President?!?!?!
It was all over CNN and the New York Times. He didn't even run in the primaries last time, and he was getting ready to try for a fourth term. I think New York has kind of seen its day as the source of Presidents. Plus, the guy seems to be an egotistical jerk. I have never liked him. Good riddance.

Cuomo resigned from governor of NY yesterday... hardly covered by the US media. I thought he was to be the next President?!?!?!
There's been quite a bit of coverage on various blogs, but the mainstream media is always on vacation when anything happens that might reflect badly on the Democratic party. Cuomo is a horrible sack of crap that deliberately put covid patients into nursing homes in order to thin out the elderly population of New York - All proven as a deliberate ploy by leaked emails, up to the point where criminal charges were about to be brought against him, but then the case was mysteriously dropped after some degree of intervention by the White House, only for him to finally be undone by another tentacle of the MeToo witch hunt.

While I'm happy to see vile people ejected from public office, I would much rather see him being prosecuted for his actions during the pandemic (which over here would likely be regarded in a legal sense as 2nd Degree Manslaughter) than be brought down by largely unsubstantiated allegations which, if true, would certainly have been brought to light at the time these alleged offences happened, rather than saying nothung for years and only speaking out when there's some opportunity for personal gain...

Now you guys just need to recall Chairman Newsom from Commiefornia and the Good Ol' US of A might have a chance of being treated seriously again...

On this day in 3114 BCE the Maya Long Count Calendar began!
This interesting. 3114 BCE is in the middle of the first dynasty of the Old Kingdom in Egypt. I doubt that there was much Mayan civilization way back when. So either we have an Atlantic "Thor Hyerdahl" scenario, with an Egyptian raft landing in Central America, or the Maya extrapolated back to times that were important for their myths. I have no doubt that there were people in Central America as of this date. I just don't think anything they left behind dates that far back--probably more than 2000 years elapsed before there was anything we can find. Does anyone know more than this?

There's been quite a bit of coverage on various blogs, but the mainstream media is always on vacation when anything happens that might reflect badly on the Democratic party. Cuomo is a horrible sack of crap that deliberately put covid patients into nursing homes in order to thin out the elderly population of New York - All proven as a deliberate ploy by leaked emails, up to the point where criminal charges were about to be brought against him, but then the case was mysteriously dropped after some degree of intervention by the White House, only for him to finally be undone by another tentacle of the MeToo witch hunt.

While I'm happy to see vile people ejected from public office, I would much rather see him being prosecuted for his actions during the pandemic (which over here would likely be regarded in a legal sense as 2nd Degree Manslaughter) than be brought down by largely unsubstantiated allegations which, if true, would certainly have been brought to light at the time these alleged offences happened, rather than saying nothung for years and only speaking out when there's some opportunity for personal gain...

Now you guys just need to recall Chairman Newsom from Commiefornia and the Good Ol' US of A might have a chance of being treated seriously again...
Here is Gail Collins' take from the sleepy, mainstream New York Times.

Attachments

• Opinion _ No More Cuomo - The New York Times.pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 11
This interesting. 3114 BCE is in the middle of the first dynasty of the Old Kingdom in Egypt. I doubt that there was much Mayan civilization way back when. So either we have an Atlantic "Thor Hyerdahl" scenario, with an Egyptian raft landing in Central America, or the Maya extrapolated back to times that were important for their myths. I have no doubt that there were people in Central America as of this date. I just don't think anything they left behind dates that far back--probably more than 2000 years elapsed before there was anything we can find. Does anyone know more than this?
No but when I carved it, I knew that there would be some really confused 'end of the world' people out there! LOL

No but when I carved it, I knew that there would be some really confused 'end of the world' people out there! LOL
Well, there's this in Wikipedia.
The completion of 13 bʼakʼtuns (August 11, 3114 BCE) marks the Creation of the world of human beings according to the Maya. On this day, Raised-up-Sky-Lord caused three stones to be set by associated gods at Lying-Down-Sky, First-Three-Stone-Place. Because the sky still lay on the primordial sea, it was black. The setting of the three stones centered the cosmos which allowed the sky to be raised, revealing the sun.

(1) This certainly gives the lie to Bishop Ussher, and calls into question ancient Egypt.
(2) If you were involved, it would have to be through some kind of space-time wormhole as in Star Trek, Deep Space 9. That would suggest that maybe you're really an alien?
(3) So we have "Men in Black" and Area 51 and ancient Egypt and the number 13 all tied together.
I think I will not pursue this further.

Well, there's this in Wikipedia.
The completion of 13 bʼakʼtuns (August 11, 3114 BCE) marks the Creation of the world of human beings according to the Maya. On this day, Raised-up-Sky-Lord caused three stones to be set by associated gods at Lying-Down-Sky, First-Three-Stone-Place. Because the sky still lay on the primordial sea, it was black. The setting of the three stones centered the cosmos which allowed the sky to be raised, revealing the sun.

(1) This certainly gives the lie to Bishop Ussher, and calls into question ancient Egypt.
(2) If you were involved, it would have to be through some kind of space-time wormhole as in Star Trek, Deep Space 9. That would suggest that maybe you're really an alien?
(3) So we have "Men in Black" and Area 51 and ancient Egypt and the number 13 all tied together.
I think I will not pursue this further.
Ahhh, but it could be fun, unless the black helicopters visit!
And I admit nothing, but Jennifer Government is watching you!

Attachments

• jg_usa_hb_big.jpg
    jg_usa_hb_big.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 10
I'm of the generation that was introduced to these new toys some grown-ups were strangely excited about and most others viewed with suspicion, in the form of the BBC Micro, that sat in the classroom and we played Granny's Garden, and learnt a bit of LOGO, I remember working out a program that got the 'turtle' to draw a neat star on the screen and felt quite pleased with myself, but not sure what the point of it all was. Then in my teens I had an Amstrad PCW, which was a sort of clever typewriter and I think I learnt a lot from using that - I loved Locoscript, especially the way you could switch from one alphabet to another (Roman to Greek to Cyrillic etc.) with a couple of keystrokes, much better than the dog's breakfast of symbols in Word. By the time I finished school there was a system installed that we seniors were allowed to use to send messages (emails) around the school, but it was when I began university that the internet really hit the fan and everything changed almost too fast to keep up with - though even then, dial-up phone connections were so slow you simply lost the will to live, glitches and crashes made me think there were Barbaria-like gremlins haunting my machine, and security was - well - unheard of.
So I was working as a programmer, using FORTRAN mainly. The computer was a CDC6600, a "RISC" (reduced instruction set) machine, designed to be very fast. We punched in our programs on cards, and they were read in. (Recall that in the very early days there were no computer languages, and one had to enter programs by toggling switches, so this was a sophisticated improvement.) One day, over in the corner of the keypunch room, a little CRT monitor with a keyboard appeared, and everyone wondered what it was.
The whole thing was in a basement under a gym (reminds me of Fermi's first atomic "pile" under the football stadium at the University of Chicago, which had the potential to start a runaway chain reaction and blow up the city), and the air conditioning would often go out and force them to shut the machine--which was huge-- down to avoid overheating.
Gremlins are real. Recall the "Great Galactic Ghoul", which scuttled many of the early Mars missions, protecting the planet from spacecraft.

Back
Top Bottom