Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Ninety years ago today, on 15 May 1932, young Japanese officers killed Prime Minister Tsuyoshi Inukai for not being reactionary enough for their taste, apparently. In the prevailing spirit of erotic grotesque nonsense those wacky martinets had originally intended to assassinate Inukai along with Charlie Chaplin and thus speed up war with the US, but then decided that the old statesman alone would do.

'If I could speak, you would understand,' were Inukai's last words. 'Dialogue is useless,' was the answer.

The assassins got a slap on the wrist.

Ninety years ago today, on 15 May 1932, young Japanese officers killed Prime Minister Tsuyoshi Inukai for not being reactionary enough for their taste, apparently. In the prevailing spirit of erotic grotesque nonsense those wacky martinets had originally intended to assassinate Inukai along with Charlie Chaplin and thus speed up war with the US, but then decided that the old statesman alone would do.

'If I could speak, you would understand,' were Inukai's last words. 'Dialogue is useless,' was the answer.

The assassins got a slap on the wrist.
There was also a fierce rivalry between army and navy in Japan, in that era. Admiral Yamamoto was moved from the naval ministry to the fleet, in 1939, because he was deemed safer there for assassination attempts by army hardliners, who opposed his cautious stance in Japanese foreign politics.

National (International) Masturbation Month

May is National Masturbation Month, or rather International, because it is celebrated in many countries.
Some of us are constantly observing this month all year round. For the rest of you, there are 16 days left. So get out there - or in there - and do your part. Pleasure yourself and pleasure a partner.

:encama:
And, while you're at it, take a moment to thank Crux Forums and those who contribute to it for making it so much easier to celebrate this glorious month.
(I'm not joking, this is a real thing)
I had no idea this was a 'thing', though I know that about everything one can think of has it's own official day or month dedicated to it these days, some being quite useless imo. But I do not consider this one to be useless.... quite the contrary. All of the health benefits aside, pleasuring ones self is above all fun, and should practiced with enthusiasm.
I am glad to say that I support NMM and it's message, and have been for a long time. And trust me when I say that at my age I'm very grateful to be able to participate in it's observance, and for places like this forum for keeping me in the mood. ;) :D

And this is of course why they have now cast a black actor in the role - just so they can pass off any criticism of the show as simply racism :( That's not to suggest that the new guy is not going to be good in the role - I have no knowledge of his talent, good or bad. I think that the fact that probably 90% of the British public have never heard of him is likely to work against him, at least in the short term, until he can put his own stamp on the character (which I hope he will be able to do, rather than doing a low-grade impersonation of David Tennant as Jodie Whittaker did with her awful portrayal of the Doctor - Jodie is a reasonably good actress, but totally miscast in any sort of SF/Fantasy show, and her lack of interest in the show always came ocross in her performance :(

Well I'd never heard of him, but my children in their 20s had. Interestingly they thought he was a very odd choice for the role, so we will see.

Dr Who lost us in the overblown late Matt Smith era, and we haven't been back except for a few glimpses of Capaldi and non of Whitaker. I don't think we are alone.

I agree that the older, and lets face it stranger portrayals worked best. The Doctor is an alien, after all.

Eighty years ago : May 17th 1942 : Operation Fredericus – the Second Battle of Kharkov.

WWII, the Eastern Front. After the Battle of Moscow in December 1941, that had pushed back the Wehrmacht, the Red Army had put up local offensives all along the frontline, leaving it very erratic.

Stalin feared that in the summer, the Wehrmacht would target Moscow again, in the northern section of the front. So he ordered more offensives, preferably in the south, to keep his opponents busy, and undermine their offensive strength.

Against the opinion of his generals, Stalin had ordered another attack, near Kharkov. The Red Army would have to exploit further the so called Barvenkovo Salient, a bulge in the German front, and a bridgehead over the river Donetsk. This operation had started on May 12th, initially with success.

Coincidentally, the Wehrmacht had assembled troops at the same section of the front, with the intention to eliminate the salient and the bridgehead, as they saw the high danger it posed, however not for an offensive to Moscow, but for their planned summer offensive, Case Blue, in the south. This plan was called Operation Fredericus. Hence, originally planned as an offensive, it became a counterattack. Operation Fredericus was a two prong panzer attack from the flanks of the salient. Too late, the Red Army became aware that they had stuck their head into the mouth of their predator. Their troops became encircled and defeated. Soviet losses : 280 000 men, Wehrmacht losses : 20 000.

This discrepancy in losses gave Berlin the false confidence that the Red Army was finished as a whole, and that Case Blue (with its ambitious but risky target to capture the Baku oilfields, across the Caucasus Mountains) would be successful.

In Moscow on the other hand, it became finally clear to Stalin, that such offensives were of no use, and that he better could trust his generals. New armies would be raised, but the future tactics were to be different.

The Second Battle of Kharkov is generally considered as the first step in the chain of events that would lead to the Battle of Stalingrad, later that year.

Sadly, the same area is today again the theatre of war.

I realise that this is late but I just found the date.
On May 2nd 1926, Jim Corbett, a man who knew the Indian jungle better than anyone of his time, shot and killed The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag.
This leopard had terrorised the countryside, killing and eating a confirmed 125 victims. More people had disappeared but were never included.

Jim Corbett had previously ended the terror of both the Panar leopard in 1910, 400 kills; and the the Champawat Tigress, responsible for an estimated 436 documented deaths. in 1907[

Champagne bottles in ice buckets on the guest's tables, endless long legs, feathers like angel wings, shiny suits, the aesthetics of bare breasts...:rolleyes:

It will likely be over soon. :oops: The Paris Lido is about to close. The end of 76 years of tradition. Most likely, it will be the end too of the famous Bluebell Girls, the inhouse elite dance troupe of the Lido. Women, professionally trained dancers from all over the world, handpicked for their beauty, looks, dancing talents and tally. At least 1 m 75! Too tall for ballet, but right well for the Lido.

Champagne bottles in ice buckets on the guest's tables, endless long legs, feathers like angel wings, shiny suits, the aesthetics of bare breasts...:rolleyes:

It will likely be over soon. :oops: The Paris Lido is about to close. The end of 76 years of tradition. Most likely, it will be the end too of the famous Bluebell Girls, the inhouse elite dance troupe of the Lido. Women, professionally trained dancers from all over the world, handpicked for their beauty, looks, dancing talents and tally. At least 1 m 75! Too tall for ballet, but right well for the Lido.
What a tragedy, the quality of the shows and the beauty of the girls was unrivalled. I only had the pleasure of going there once in the early 1980s.
Incidentally, they often had live animals performing in their shows. On this occasion, a party of French businessmen had created a great deal of fuss and had a table set up at the front , so it seemed to be only just when the performing elephant did a huge dump almost on top of them.

On May 27th 1905, the Imperial Japanese Navy defeated a Russian fleet at the Battle of Tsushima. The victory contributed a lot in shaping the Japanese naval doctrine : big ships, a big fleet, all committed for the Big Decisive Battle, that would wipe out the enemy fleet.

For sure, eighty years ago, 26-27 May 1942, Japanese officers and sailors have referred to the battle of Tsushima in their speeches, as on that day, their fleet sailed out, on their way to what was anticipated as the Big Decisive Battle of the war in the Pacific. A plan to lure the American carrier force into an ambush, and annihilate it. If the objective could be made, Pearl Harbour would be the next front line, and the American west coast would be threatened next. At the stake was forcing the US out of the war, before they could bring in their industrial power against Japan.

But behind the horizon, US Navy cryptographers had their job well done, and Admiral Nimitz knew : ‘AF’ is Midway. He knew where to send his carriers to.

Seventy years ago,the young Queen Elizabeth II acceded the Throne,of Great Britain and the Royal Commonwealth.
To date,she is the  longest serving,British Monarch of all time.
Exceeding the reigns of King George III,and Queen Victoria.(Her great,great Grandmother)
God save Her Majesty The Queen...

FB_IMG_1654075882275.jpgFB_IMG_1654167464592.jpgFB_IMG_1654097721652.jpgt

Last edited:
To date,she is the  longest serving Monarch of all time.
Longest serving British Monarch, I assume?

The all time record is still held by French Monarch Louis XIV (r. 1643-1715).

Elisabeth II will have to hold out to at least May 26th 2024, to break it.

Meanwhile, poor Prince Charles is still waiting, meanwhile being himself long overdue for retirement already.

Will he ever be on the throne, or will a generation be skipped?
After all, Louis XIV was succeeded by his great-grandson.

Longest serving British Monarch, I assume?

The all time record is still held by French Monarch Louis XIV (r. 1643-1715).

Elisabeth II will have to hold out to at least May 26th 2024, to break it.

Meanwhile, poor Prince Charles is still waiting, meanwhile being himself long overdue for retirement already.

Will he ever be on the throne, or will a generation be skipped?
After all, Louis XIV was succeeded by his great-grandson.
I've amended it,thanks.
The Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Rameses II is another long serving,Monarch,it's estimated that he reigned for over 60 years...apparently.

Back
Top Bottom