Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
When I was young, I worked in a large banquet resturant facility with many employees.
Two of the older men there were among the US that landed.
One operated a bull dozer and was # 2 to launch off the landing craft.
In front was # 1 dozer, naturally.
When # 1 launched, it promptly went in like a stone.
He was obviously anxious about his turn but it worked out.
I asked what it was like and was told that it was so loud that most had to cover their ears from time to time, when they could.
I also met Bill Guarnere of Bad of Brothers note and talked about just things, was a funny character.

When I was young, I worked in a large banquet resturant facility with many employees.
Two of the older men there were among the US that landed.
One operated a bull dozer and was # 2 to launch off the landing craft.
In front was # 1 dozer, naturally.
When # 1 launched, it promptly went in like a stone.
He was obviously anxious about his turn but it worked out.
I asked what it was like and was told that it was so loud that most had to cover their ears from time to time, when they could.
I also met Bill Guarnere of Bad of Brothers note and talked about just things, was a funny character.
Yogi Berra, the all-start catcher for the Yankees in the 50's to 60's was a gunner on one of the landing craft. He complained about how hard it was to aim the gun while boobing in the surf. "You try it."

Brigader General Theodore Roosevelt, son of the past president, insisted in landing with the first wave on Utah Beach, despite needing a cane for his arthritis. Apparently his presence was useful, not least because they landed a mile off course and he made the decision to "start the war from here". He was good for morale, and he was able to give a detailed report to the rest of the brass when they finally got ashore. He had heart trouble but hid it, and died of a heart attack during the Normandy breakout.
They faced the German 7th Army. Its commander, General Friedrich Dollmann, died of a heart attack too, during the battle for Normandy! Commanding an army needs a good health!

Forty years ago, on June 18th 1983, space shuttle Challenger was launched, with among the crew Sally Ride, first American woman in space. It happened twenty years and two days later than the first woman in space, Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, launched with Vostok 6 on June 16th 1963.

In the US, both the military and NASA had longtime objected sending women into space, finding them unsuitable for such missions.

But even the Soviets had no hurry sending more women into space. The second woman in space, Svetlana Savitskaya, would fly only 19 years after Tereshkova. She was launched with Soyuz T-7 on August 19th 1982, for a 19 days stay in Salyut 7. At the time, it was murmured that hence, the Soviets ultimately had ‘snatched’ the status of ‘second woman in space’ from the US.

Sally Ride died in 2012, at the age of 61.

Forty years ago, on June 18th 1983, space shuttle Challenger was launched, with among the crew Sally Ride, first American woman in space. It happened twenty years and two days later than the first woman in space, Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, launched with Vostok 6 on June 16th 1963.

In the US, both the military and NASA had longtime objected sending women into space, finding them unsuitable for such missions.

But even the Soviets had no hurry sending more women into space. The second woman in space, Svetlana Savitskaya, would fly only 19 years after Tereshkova. She was launched with Soyuz T-7 on August 19th 1982, for a 19 days stay in Salyut 7. At the time, it was murmured that hence, the Soviets ultimately had ‘snatched’ the status of ‘second woman in space’ from the US.

Sally Ride died in 2012, at the age of 61.
Although she was married to a fellow (male) astronaut at the time, they later divorced and she was involved in a relationship with WTA tennis player Tam O'Shaunessey for 27 years until her death from pancreatic cancer. She kept her private life private and the relationship did not become public until after her death. She was not only the first American woman in space, but the first (so far as is known) LGBTQ person in space.

Eighty years ago, on July 10th 1943, the Allies opened a second front in Europe, by invading Sicily (Operation Husky).
Eisenhower insisted that the island of Pantelleria be captured before Husky could be launched--it was right on the supply line. It surrendered after an air attack, and an amphibious landing was not necessary. Part of the attack was the first appearance of the Tuskegee Airmen.
_GOOD_HUNTING,_SON,-_YOU'RE_ON_YOUR_OWN_NOW^^__-_NARA_-_535667.jpg

When checking today’s historical events, I thought it was time for another short history lesson.:):icon_writing:

Today 1180 years ago, on August 10th 843, the Mother Of All (European) Treaties was closed : the Verdun Treaty. I do not know how it is elsewhere in the world, but our history lessons at school have ingrained us with ‘843’ as an important date, as important as, say 1492 or 1789, or 1106 for the English or 1776 for the Americans.

The Treaty of Verdun divided Charlemagne’s empire between his three grandsons, Charles The Bald, Lotharius and Louis The German. Three territories were that would respectively become today’s France, Italy and Germany. The division was quiet pragmatic. Lotharius was granted the title of ‘Emperor’, so he needed Charlemagne’s capital Aachen in his ‘empire’, but his territory was rather something like a corridor, stretching over nearly 1500 km from the North Sea coast in the present Netherlands, to Italy, while nowhere wider than some 150 km, and with the Alps as an obstacle to cross. Of course, this territory was unviable as a sovereign state. Today we see its remnants : Italy south of the Alps, The Netherlands, Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg and Switzerland, and the long disputed Alsace-Lorraine region north of them.

The Verdun Treaty settled a dispute between three brothers about the heritage of Charlemagne’s and of his successor Louis The Pious, according to the Meroving’s tradition, that territory should be divided between all the defunct king’s sons. But the title of emperor was indivisible, so there could be only one! Eager to keep what they got, rulers soon got to appoint themselves with a similar ‘indivisible’ title, linking the title to a territory, preventing it from getting divided. The Meroving system of inheritance soon became replaced by progeniture, in which the oldest living son inherited the whole territory. Hence, powerful and durable kingdoms could be established.

When checking today’s historical events, I thought it was time for another short history lesson.:):icon_writing:

Today 1180 years ago, on August 10th 843, the Mother Of All (European) Treaties was closed : the Verdun Treaty. I do not know how it is elsewhere in the world, but our history lessons at school have ingrained us with ‘843’ as an important date, as important as, say 1492 or 1789, or 1106 for the English or 1776 for the Americans.

The Treaty of Verdun divided Charlemagne’s empire between his three grandsons, Charles The Bald, Lotharius and Louis The German. Three territories were that would respectively become today’s France, Italy and Germany. The division was quiet pragmatic. Lotharius was granted the title of ‘Emperor’, so he needed Charlemagne’s capital Aachen in his ‘empire’, but his territory was rather something like a corridor, stretching over nearly 1500 km from the North Sea coast in the present Netherlands, to Italy, while nowhere wider than some 150 km, and with the Alps as an obstacle to cross. Of course, this territory was unviable as a sovereign state. Today we see its remnants : Italy south of the Alps, The Netherlands, Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxemburg and Switzerland, and the long disputed Alsace-Lorraine region north of them.

The Verdun Treaty settled a dispute between three brothers about the heritage of Charlemagne’s and of his successor Louis The Pious, according to the Meroving’s tradition, that territory should be divided between all the defunct king’s sons. But the title of emperor was indivisible, so there could be only one! Eager to keep what they got, rulers soon got to appoint themselves with a similar ‘indivisible’ title, linking the title to a territory, preventing it from getting divided. The Meroving system of inheritance soon became replaced by progeniture, in which the oldest living son inherited the whole territory. Hence, powerful and durable kingdoms could be established.
The only date in English history is 1066 - when the Normans conquered England (in 1106 the English Norman Henry I conquered Normandy, for a bit, but that doesn't get much notice). 1314 for us Scots. I was taught history in fairly traditional way, learning dates, and I'm glad I was - but we hardly learnt anything about what was going on on the Continent, I only learnt that at uni - I knew the Carolingian Empire got divided up in that way, but was vague about the dates and details, and admit I hadn't heard of the Treaty of Verdun. One point - I suppose Burgundy was part of Lotharius' territory? That remained very independent until 1477, the Franche-Comté another two centuries.

Back
Top Bottom