Nudity Of Christ In Renaissance Art

Go to CruxDreams.com
Part 1 - Nudity of Jesus

The thousand years of European history known as the Middle Ages were followed by the period known as the Renaissance (1400 - 1600). The term means ªrebirth´ a reference to a renewed interest in the Classical world of Greece and Rome. The influence of Classical subject matter is evident in the numbers of nudes and mythological figures in Renaissance art.
Toward the end of the Middle Ages, the works of art created a more believable, human space.
They were part of a transition from spiritual Gothic art to the three-dimensional space that became characteristic of the Italian Renaissance.
Mathematics and science, derived from a renewed study of classical Greek and Roman works, encouraged the systematic understanding of the world. Renaissance artists used and refined new systems of perspective to translate their careful observations more consistently into realistic artistic representations.

For S. Spirito in Florence Michelangelo made a wooden crucifix, put over the lunette above the high altar to please the prior, who gave him suitable rooms, where he was able, by frequently dissecting dead bodies, to study anatomy, and thereby he began to perfect his great design ... and even Christ resurected is displayed nude by an artwork Michelangelo.

Jesus - Michelangelo - (1).JPG Jesus - Michelangelo - (2).jpg Jesus - Michelangelo - (3).jpg Jesus - Michelangelo - (4).JPG Jesus - Michelangelo - (5).jpg

Brunelleschi's Crucifix is a wooden sculpture preserved in the Gondi Chapel of Santa Maria Novella in Florence, dated to about 1410-1415.
According to Vasari it was carved in response to the wooden crucifix by Donatello at Santa Croce church in Florence, after Brunelleschi had criticized its exaggerated naturalism, calling it a »peasant on the cross« instead of the body of Jesus Christ, in all its parts the most perfect man who ever lived.

Jesus - Brunelleschi - (1).jpg Jesus - Brunelleschi - (2).jpg

The wooden crucifix in the church of Santa Croce is Donatello at his finest. The bearded face of the dead Christ, with his tanned skin and ropey musculature, makes him incredibly true to life. This is an enormous step in realism, a far cry from the sweet, perfected faces of Christ done by other artists. Christís face is sorrowfully compelling, and so life-like that (according to Vasari) the artist Brunelleschi accused Donatello of having crucified a peasant. What makes this work so extraordinary is Donatelloís willingness to forgo what would have been considered a beautiful or successful work of art in favor of a more realistic figure.

Jesus - Donatello - (1).JPG Jesus - Donatello - (2).JPG Jesus - Donatello - (3).JPG

note @ Cristo della Minerva (Michelangelo): As Steinberg notes, artists like Michelangelo sometimes depicted the resurrected Jesus fully nude - a fact that later curators have sometimes tried to cover up - and the reason for this nudity is that the resurrected Jesus has restored humanity to the innocence that Adam and Eve once enjoyed before the Fall: ªHow then could he who restores human nature to sinlessness be shamed by the sexual factor in his humanity?´
This link between the innocence of Adam and the nudity of the resurrected Christ is echoed in the baptismal practices of the early Church. As noted above, converts were baptized in the nude back then, and St. Cyril of Jerusalem says they did this in imitation of Christís death; but he also says that they were baptized nude in imitation of ìthe first-formed Adam, who was naked in the garden, and was not ashamed. »Similarly, St. John Chrysostom, in his Baptismal Instructions, told the early Christians that they were baptized naked to ìremind you of your former nakedness, when you were in paradise and you were not ashamed.«

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmch...rth-death-and-resurrection.html#ixzz3Tc9H7hUO

attached Files:
Jesus - Brunelleschi - (1).jpg
Jesus - Brunelleschi - (2).jpg
Jesus - Donatello - (1).JPG
Jesus - Donatello - (2).JPG
Jesus - Donatello - (3).JPG
Jesus - Michelangelo - (1).JPG
Jesus - Michelangelo - (2).jpg
Jesus - Michelangelo - (3).jpg
Jesus - Michelangelo - (4).JPG
Jesus - Michelangelo - (5).jpg

Part 2 - Nudity of David

The biblical story of David and Goliath inspired three renowned Renaissance and Baroque sculptors in three centuries. Donatello, Michelangelo, and Bernini each took a different approach to the appearance of the hero, David. Each work displays the characteristic cultural and artistic concerns of their respective eras. In the Bible, David is a young Israelite who battles the giant Goliath. Goliath challenges the Israelites to send a champion to fight in single combat. Only David is brave enough to face him. Armed with just his shepherdís hook, slingshot, and a handful of stones, he fells Goliath with a single slingshot to the forehead and then uses the giantís own sword to cut off his head.

Donatello (c. 1386/87ñ1466) was a skilled sculptor of both bronze and marble. At the time he made David, he was reinvigorating the ancient technique of bronze casting. His David, the first nearly full-scale male nude since antiquity, also reflects the sculptorís familiarity with and admiration for the Classical ideal depictions of the human body

David - Donatello  - (1).jpg David - Donatello  - (2).jpg

Michelangeloís David was carved from a single block of marble. It was originally intended to be placed in a high niche of Florence Cathedral as a symbol of the cityís power and (temporary) freedom from the tyranny of the Medici. The sculpture was so popular that on its completion in 1504 it was instead placed near the entrance to the main piazza, or plaza, where it could be viewed by masses of people. Its Classical attributes include athletic musculature and essentially ideal proportions. By presenting David as nude, with a scarcely noticeable slingshot draped over his shoulder - the only reference to his identity - Michelangelo creates a sculpture of a man as well as a hero. Davidís facial expression is idealized and calm, but his gaze, which is purposefully directed off to the side, reveals a mood of concentration and intensity.

David - Michelangelo.jpg

Gianlorenzo Bernini (1598ñ1680) created his David in the Baroque period. It is a dynamic, three-dimensional sculpture that emphasizes movement and action. Berniniís sculpture, like Michelangeloís, features the slingshot, but it is in action, and a pile of cast-off armor lies beneath. Such a prop
was necessary to allow for the wide stance and gesture of the figure, as marble sculptures are prone to snap if their weight is unsupported.
Berniniís sculpture shows David at a moment of dramatic, heightened tension, when he is about to launch the stone. The energy of Davidís entire body is focused on the physical movement he is about to make. Even the muscles in his face tighten.

David - Bernini.jpg

Comparison Donatello Michelangelo Bernini David sculptures

David donatello michelangelo bernini.jpg

I hope it doesn't offend anyone, however, the uncircumcised Davids are a point of contention, even though there is a readily available answer.

Penis comparison Donatello Michelangelo Bernini David sculptures.jpg

On the left is Donatello's David, in the center is Michelangelo's and on the right is Bernini's. God make a covenant with Abraham and his descendants that the males would all be circumcised, in a prescribed way on the eighth day (Genesis 21:4), as a mark of their devotion to Him, and God's devotion to Israel. Why then, does Donatello and Michelangelo show David as being uncircumcised? This is tantamount to sin (Genesis 17:14), unless there is a reason for it. Both artists are most likely referencing St. Paul who, in Romans 2: 25-9, writes that "circumcision is a matter of heart," it does no good to be circumcised in the foreskin if you are not circumcised in the heart. In Jeremiah 9: 25-6, God Himself promises to bring destruction upon all those who are circumcised because they have not been "circumcised in their heart," meaning, they have fulfilled the Law of Moses but have no faith in their heart; the young boy David going to face the giant Goliath alone on the battlefield is the perfect illustration for someone who needs to have a little faith in their heart rather than relying upon their own strength and wits (i.e., that which they have done to fulfill the requirements of the Mosaic Law). The uncircumcised penis, then, does not detract attention away from David, rather, it projects attention towards Jesus, who would both fulfill the Law of Moses - being circumcised in both His flesh and heart - and give us a new law and a new life, and we can see that Michelangelo did this in another work of his.
ªThose who came before Christ, even the great John the Baptist, are separated from God because of the new law which Christ brings with him and those who came before, will have to accept it. Which is where Bernini's great stroke of genius comes into play. In medieval religious art, a curtain acted as a metaphor for knowledge, either being revealed or concealed; Bernini's David being draped across his loins isn't an act of modesty, rather humility, and the drape acting as a curtain would in earlier illuminated manuscripts: the fruit that would come from the loins of David in the person of Jesus Christ, could not be fathomed by David, even though God would promise this to his servant later. Choosing the moment of David's faith, when he is publicly championed by God before all Israel, Bernini illustrates for the viewer how David couldn't possibly know the "fruit" that would come from his act (only that he was immediately saving Israel from the Philistine threat) in foreshadowing Jesus in word, deed and bloodline (because no one then understood how God was still working to fulfill His promise to Abraham). Why, then, would this be a concern for the artists to "debate" with their respective art works? One answer could be regarding the conversion of the Jews. One argument rabbis put forth as to not accepting Jesus of Nazareth as the long-awaited messiah is that the world "didn't change" after Jesus, but God promised that the world would change after the messiah came. As stated, showing David uncircumcised was suggesting that David wasn't part of the covenant with God, and Jews in the audience would have immediately been made aware of what the Christian artists were suggesting: if you don't accept that Jesus is the Christ that David foreshadowed, and celebrate David rather than Jesus, you are, just as God said you were in Deuteronomy 10:16, stubborn in your heart because you have only your foreskin to show your act of faith in Him´.

attached Files:
David - Bernini.jpg
David - Donatello - (1).jpg
David - Donatello - (2).jpg
David - Michelangelo.jpg
David donatello michelangelo bernini.jpg
Penis comparison Donatello Michelangelo Bernini David sculptures.jpg

Part 3 - Ostentatio Genitalium

The first necessity is to admit a long-suppressed matter of fact: that Renaissance art, both north and south of the Alps, produced a large body of devotional imagery in which the genitalia of the dead Christ receive such demonstrative emphasis that one must recognize an ostentatio genitalium comparable to the canonic ostentatio vulnerum, the showing forth of the wounds.
One small group of pictures poses a more difficult problem. Is it conceivable that Christian artists would assign the erection motif to the figure of the dead Christ? The loins of these figures are, of course, draped; but it had long been the special pride of Renaissance painters to make drapery report subjacent anatomic events. Even the infant erection was sometimes betrayed only by the heave of the loincloth; of which outstanding examples are Correggio's Madonna di S. Giorgio in Dresden, several Madonna and Child panels by Jan van Scorel and an astonishing engraved roundel by Jacques de Gheyn after Abraham Bloemaert, its mystical circum- scription bespeaking the joys of heaven. Could a like signal emanate from the dead Christ? What, for instance, are we to make of the Pieta by Willem Key (Munich and Karlsruhe) - a picture known in two versions and believed to have been begun by Quentin Massys? Shall we construe the turbulence of the loincloth as an inflation of vacant folds, or are we bound to inter- pret these surfaces as reactive to forms beneath, insinuating a phallic tumes- cence? The latter, since we cannot be sure, seems an unholy notion. Yet the problem is posed again in the famous Pieta etching by Jacques Bellange , and again in a late 16th-century anonymous Flemish Christ as Victor over Sin and Death. Finally, a positive answer becomes compelling when we compare certain images of the mystical Man of Sorrows, dating from 1520-32, where phallic erection is unmistakable. Among these is a rare engraving by Ludwig Krug, impressions of which can have survived only by being locked away in print cabinets seldom disturbed. And there are three paintings of the subject by the young Maerten van Heemskerck- the predella of one inscribed "Ecce Homo". An anonymous variant, painted on glass and cruder in quality, adds the four beasts of the Evangelists, the ox in bull-like charge at the center.

After Maerten van Heemskerck, The Trinity with Christ Resurrected.jpg Flemish, Christ as Victor over Sin and Death, c. 1590.jpg Jacques Bellange, Piethi, c. 1615.jpg Ludwig Krug, Man of Sorrows, c. 1520.jpg Maerten van Heemskerck, Man of Sorrows, 1525.jpg Maerten van Heemskerck, Man of Sorrows, 1532.jpg Maerten van Heemskerck, Man of Sorrows, c. 1525.jpg Willem Key, Pieta, after 153.jpg

Erection @ death & resurection

Erections are not uncommon in executions by suspension but their attribution to the resurrected Christ is presumably a literal demonstration of his body having cheated death in the most virile fashion. Even more remarkable are images of Christ as Man of Sorrows with an undeniable erection under his loincloth.

attached Files:
After Maerten van Heemskerck, The Trinity with Christ Resurrected.jpg
Flemish, Christ as Victor over Sin and Death, c. 1590.jpg
Jacques Bellange, Piethi, c. 1615.jpg
Ludwig Krug, Man of Sorrows, c. 1520.jpg
Maerten van Heemskerck, Man of Sorrows, 1525.jpg
Maerten van Heemskerck, Man of Sorrows, 1532.jpg
Maerten van Heemskerck, Man of Sorrows, c. 1525.jpg
Willem Key, Pieta, after 153.jpg

Part 4.1 - others

Here you will find some more known and unknown works of art of nude Christ ...

... like ...

H. Lehman (US) - God The Father And God The Son; Lehmann, Henri (Karl Ernest Rudolf Heinrich Salem) (1814- 82)
Michelangelo, Christ on the Cross between the Virgin and St John, 1550-60, black chalk and white lead; Trustees of the British Museum
L.Anger (US) - Jesus with erection - 2014
Max Klinger, 1891, Crucifixion
Christ crucified (248 ◊ 169 cm) by Diego Vel·zquez,1599ñ1660; Prado Museum, Madrid. It is life-size.
Vittorio Carvelli - Crucifixion
Fiori Barocci or Baroccio: Christ on the cross
Mantegna: Toter Christus
and some more ...

have a look at:

http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/male-crucifixion.1145/page-66#post-193809

Thanks to PhilX

christ-on-the-cross-christ-on-the-cross-Federico Fiori Barocci or Baroccio.jpg christ-on-the-cross-michelangelo1.jpg crucifixion-2.jpg crucify.jpg depictions-of-a-naked-jesus-have-all-but-disappeared-in-the-past-few-centuries.jpg Diego Velázquez.jpg Ecce Homo sculpture (1).jpg Ecce Homo sculpture (2).jpg Ecce Homo sculpture (3).jpg Federico Fiori Barocci (NY) - 2014.jpg

attached Files:
Diego Vel·zquez.jpg
Ecce Homo sculpture (1).jpg
Ecce Homo sculpture (2).jpg
Ecce Homo sculpture (3).jpg
Federico Fiori Barocci (NY) - 2014.jpg
H. Lehman (US) - God The Father And God The Son.jpg
L.Anger (US) - Jesus with erection - 2014.jpg
MantegnaToterChristus.jpg
Max Klinger 1891 CrucifixionNude.jpg
Vittorio Carvelli - Crucifixion.jpg
christ-on-the-cross-christ-on-the-cross-Federico Fiori Barocci or Baroccio.jpg
christ-on-the-cross-michelangelo1.jpg
crucifixion-2.jpg
crucify.jpg
depictions-of-a-naked-jesus-have-all-but-disappeared-in-the-past-few-centuries.jpg
unknown - (2).jpg
unknown - (3).jpg
unknown - (4).jpg

There is a more obvious explanation for the uncircumcised David, and Jesus: the models were Italians.
In XV & XVI century Italy, the only circumcised males were Jews & whatever few Muslims were living in the country. The only circumcised Christians were converts form Judaism & Islam. Circumcision among Christians didn't start to be practiced - for hygienic, not religious reasons - until the XIX century & didn't become common until after WWII. It is still not wide spread outside of the US.

Michelangelo, Donatello & other artists would have had difficulty finding a circumcised model, as no Jew or Muslim would have been willing to pose nude for a Christian icon...not to mention the controversy of using an actual Jew to portray Jesus. Furthermore, it's unlikely either man would have ever seen a circumcised penis, so they couldn't even use their imagination to "correct" their art.

Furthermore, it's unlikely either man would have ever seen a circumcised penis
Not on a living man, but don't forget Renaissance artists did study (and dissect) cadavers.
I think if Michelangelo had wanted to know what a circumcised penis looked like,
he could have found out.

When I see naked crucifixion art I always wonder, did they use naked models? Probably. So did they tie the model to a cross so the body would be stretched properly. Probably did that too.

So what was it like for the model? Did they enjoy it, was it painful, how long did they have to pose in that position for the artist?

How do I get a job like that that pays? Opps, too old for that.

Side note: I was offered a job as a nude model for the life drawing class when I was in college many years ago. I remember it paid $3 per hour, good money in those days. I turned them down and now fantasize about what it would have been like.

When I see naked crucifixion art I always wonder, did they use naked models? Probably. So did they tie the model to a cross so the body would be stretched properly. Probably did that too.

So what was it like for the model? Did they enjoy it, was it painful, how long did they have to pose in that position for the artist?

How do I get a job like that that pays? Opps, too old for that.

Side note: I was offered a job as a nude model for the life drawing class when I was in college many years ago. I remember it paid $3 per hour, good money in those days. I turned them down and now fantasize about what it would have been like.

This is a really interesting question, Jim.
Yes, artists have always used nude models when required. I have a few photos of nude crux models, I can't find them all right now but here are three, two 20th century and one 19th, all male I'm sorry :)
There is also a well know crucified cadaver image which I have somewhere, this was always a possibility for really realistic crux poses as someone said upthread.

Attachments

• Crucifixionstudy19thC.jpg
    Crucifixionstudy19thC.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 189
  • model.jpg
    model.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 186
  • cruxdrawing.jpg
    cruxdrawing.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 206
This is a really interesting question, Jim.
Yes, artists have always used nude models when required. I have a few photos of nude crux models, I can't find them all right now but here are three, two 20th

Gosh, I hope the guy in number 3 got more than $3 an hour! :eek:

That looks hard on the arms and shoulders! :)

Gosh, I hope the guy in number 3 got more than $3 an hour! :eek:

That looks hard on the arms and shoulders! :)
Yes, number 3 does look difficult. But remember $3 in 1965 is $22 per hr today ( I'm an old fart). I understand models hold a pose for 15 min and then get a break. Also, if you get a hard on you will not be asked to return.

Yes, number 3 does look difficult. But remember $3 in 1965 is $22 per hr today ( I'm an old fart). I understand models hold a pose for 15 min and then get a break. Also, if you get a hard on you will not be asked to return.

That'd be me out of a job, then :oops:

Ancient Greek art depicted nudity not as something lewd or inappropriate but as an expression of awe, as if saying: look at what the gods created.
Before the dark ages in Europe and afterward during the period of enlightenment known as the renaissance European art copied ancient Greek art in many ways.
Now, if Jesus existed historically, he would have been crucified naked like all other condemned criminals where. But European artists depicted Jesus more modestly due to the fact that he was their deity and did not believe he should be degraded in that way.

Back
Top Bottom