Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
Quite quiet on the forum, the last days?:sleeping::tejeqteje:
Crucifixions are on hold because of supply issues for the timbers and spikes are on backorder. All of the torture chambers under those secluded estates are down for maintenance, and most of the junta dictatorships have run out of subversives to interrogate, and their police centers are closed for renovation and upgrades.
Things should return to normal soon... hopefully.

Crucifixions are on hold because of supply issues for the timbers and spikes are on backorder. All of the torture chambers under those secluded estates are down for maintenance, and most of the junta dictatorships have run out of subversives to interrogate, and their police centers are closed for renovation and upgrades.
Things should return to normal soon... hopefully.
OK8 Let's wait until all these big shots return with their private planes from the climate conference in Glasgow. They will then order to chop a few forests for supplying crucifixion wood, to nail all those who critisized their brilliant and ambitious plans to stop global warming.:D

OK8 Let's wait until all these big shots return with their private planes from the climate conference in Glasgow. They will then order to chop a few forests for supplying crucifixion wood, to nail all those who critisized their brilliant and ambitious plans to stop global warming.:D
And after that many trees are felled to burn the crucified. Of course, these piles of wood have to be soaked with premium petroleum. That will tell global warming what will happen to it if it doesn't stop immediately. :eeek:

And after that many trees are felled to burn the crucified. Of course, these piles of wood have to be soaked with premium petroleum. That will tell global warming what will happen to it if it doesn't stop immediately. :eeek:
Something like :
"From now on, our country will revert to sustainable energy only! To show the world we are serious, we have just dispensed with all our stocks of fossil fuels and burned them!":doh:

The World Series, the culmination of the American baseball season, has just concluded. It is a best of seven series between two teams--the first team to win 4 games is the champion. In 1979, the PIttsburgh Pirates had lost 3 games to the Baltimore Orioles and won only 1, so were on the cusp of elimination as the series returned to Pittsburgh. The only other things you need to know to appreciate the snippet below is that Chuck Tanner managed the Pirates, and Kent Tekulve was their star relief pitcher (and the Pirates did eventually win).

But on their way to Three Rivers Stadium that morning, the players learned that Manager Chuck Tanner’s mother had died. Tekulve recalled that the players, normally boisterous and loud, sat glumly with their backs to their lockers, staring into the middle of the clubhouse, not knowing how to approach Tanner, or what to say.

Finally, not long before batting practice, Tanner appeared in the home clubhouse and told the players, “I know you heard about my mother. She knew we were in trouble, and she went to get help.”

Earliest photos of British Army Soldiers in the 1840s. No sound

Photos of last survivors of the Napoleonic Wars
Fascinating - for me, at least! Lieut. Col. William Burns (two portraits 4:21 on) may well have been the son of Robert Burns:

Burns, Colonel William Nicol (1791 — 1872)​

Second surviving son of the poet, named after William Nicol, the schoolmaster of the Edinburgh High School. He was educated at Dumfries Grammar School, and in London. He married Catherine, daughter of R Crone, Esq of Dublin. They had no family. Having sailed to India as a young man, he ultimately became a Lieut-Colonel in the East India Company's service. He was made a Colonel at home in 1855. When he retired he returned to England to Cheltenham where he stayed with his younger brother. He is buried in the Mausoleum.

Writing to George Thomson in a letter dated by Ferguson May 1795, Burns explained why he had called his third son after the schoolmaster. It was because: 'of that propensity to witty wickedness and manfu' mischief, which even at twa days auld I foresaw would form the striking feature of his disposition.'

Earliest photos of British Army Soldiers in the 1840s. No sound

Photos of last survivors of the Napoleonic Wars

I love old photos like this. Most of these appear to be portraits, or photos taken at Edinburgh Castle. Very early some of them, 1840s.

I particularly love Roger Fenton's photos from the Crimean War, taken on campaign, showing real soldiers going about their business. These are the closest we will ever get to photos of Napoleonic Wars troops, the uniforms and modes of combat are still very similar.
b00c41245e5b2e3596c2ac35127940f5.jpg18-lens-crimea-embed2-blog480200.jpgCrimea.jpgFenton021.jpg00B0764B1000044C-6761403-image-a-10_1551457789172.jpgRoger-Fenton-Crimean-War-Photographer-4.jpg

American Civil War photos are a different class altogether, just a few years later but almost completely lacking that Napoleonic quality. In just a decade we went from the Crimea to the Civil War, from the last great conflict of the old style to the first of the new, with railways, mass armies, trenches, ironclad warships and the Gatling gun.

On a different note, I hope the following story doesn't mean we will see less pictures of naked ladies running around east European cities?

I love old photos like this. Most of these appear to be portraits, or photos taken at Edinburgh Castle. Very early some of them, 1840s.

I particularly love Roger Fenton's photos from the Crimean War, taken on campaign, showing real soldiers going about their business. These are the closest we will ever get to photos of Napoleonic Wars troops, the uniforms and modes of combat are still very similar.
View attachment 1084851View attachment 1084846View attachment 1084847View attachment 1084848View attachment 1084849View attachment 1084850

American Civil War photos are a different class altogether, just a few years later but almost completely lacking that Napoleonic quality. In just a decade we went from the Crimea to the Civil War, from the last great conflict of the old style to the first of the new, with railways, mass armies, trenches, ironclad warships and the Gatling gun.

On a different note, I hope the following story doesn't mean we will see less pictures of naked ladies running around east European cities?
United States, 1840. Several are in Philadelphia and a few, I recognize the locale.

View attachment 1084851View attachment 1084846View attachment 1084847View attachment 1084848View attachment 1084849View attachment 1084850battle-gettysburg_13_b18e7ec243ff8afdaf8b1a5d879f1b9a.jpg494px-Gettysburg,_Pa._Confederate_dead_gathered_for_burial_at_the_edge_of_the_Rose_woods,_July...jpgprisoners-Confederate-American-Civil-War-Pa-Gettysburg.jpg

Well, George McClellan for one (the "Young Napolean") liked to pose with his hand in his uniform shirt--old style. I assume the poses were assumed because of the exposure times required. The Civil War did break new ground photographically, however.

The Civil War did break new ground photographically, however.
It was at Antietam in that war that rows of dead on the battlefield were photographed and displayed a few days later in an NYC studio. There are fascinating photos, but I understand(?) they would violate standards to post here.

Back
Top Bottom