Ottoman Impalings by C Date

Go to CruxDreams.com
This image is illustrating the massacre of the Waldenses which took place in 1655. The young woman at the right side being tortured and impaled is said to be Anna, daughter of Giovanni Charboniere of La Torre.
Cruel impalements weren't only used by the Ottomans...
Here is a snippet of the full picture:

View attachment 1160126
I ALREADY DID THIS

Attachments

• 1655 Waldensians.png
    1655 Waldensians.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,352
Last edited by a moderator:
This image is illustrating the massacre of the Waldenses which took place in 1655. The young woman at the right side being tortured and impaled is said to be Anna, daughter of Giovanni Charboniere of La Torre.
Cruel impalements weren't only used by the Ottomans...
Here is a snippet of the full picture:

View attachment 1160126
I've seen that engraving a few times before, but have just come across another one also bearing the date 1655 and hence presumably relating to the massacre of the Waldensians.

9-Most-Cruel-Tortures10.jpg

From the style, I doubt it is contemporaneous -- looks 19th/early 20th century to me, possibly from one of Quanter's books. Interesting concept: once you've impaled them, might as well use the pole as a spit roast...

I've seen that engraving a few times before, but have just come across another one also bearing the date 1655 and hence presumably relating to the massacre of the Waldensians.

View attachment 1161480

From the style, I doubt it is contemporaneous -- looks 19th/early 20th century to me, possibly from one of Quanter's books. Interesting concept: once you've impaled them, might as well use the pole as a spit roast...
There is indeed a historical source for the original image where Anna Charboniere is impaled: Samuel Moreland's "The massacre of the Waldenses in 1655, History of the Evangelical Churches of the Valleys of Piedmont" (1658).

Here is another link titled "The massacres against Waldensians" where there is a summary of the Waldensian persecution and some more pictures:

The images used were obviously created at different times, between the 17th and 19th centuries.
Here the burning of 80 Waldensians as heretics in Strasbourg in 1211 AD:

Burning_of_the_Waldensians.jpg

There is indeed a historical source for the original image where Anna Charboniere is impaled: Samuel Moreland's "The massacre of the Waldenses in 1655, History of the Evangelical Churches of the Valleys of Piedmont" (1658).
Thanks, @Rupert_137 and sorry for any confusion: I meant that the image that I had posted was not contemporaneous, rather than the one you posted. I knew your original image was indeed from around the time of the massacre, coming from an 1658 source.

Back
Top Bottom