Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Charles Portis, who you might think you don't know, but he wrote the novel, True Grit. 1933-2020

Mr. Portis was a distant relative of mine. The only thing I ever had to do with him was when my parents and all five of us kids went together to the 1969 John Wayne version of True Grit.

We'd all read the book, and I was relieved that in the movie Mattie Ross didn’t lose her arm. I was an amazingly squeamish kid. :rolleyes:

Why, yes. And all of us born in the 50’s, we’re board-certified boomers. ;)
The old parish priest on Achill Island on the West Coast of Ireland in the late sixties was making his rounds visiting families in the rural areas.
He came to the small farming cottage of Aiden and Aileen O’Connor. He sat and visited a while before commencing to reminisce.
“Aye, it was ten years ago this Spring that I sanctified you both in Holy Matrimony in our Mother Church. And you two have been good attenders at Mass and your eight children have all been Baptized in the Holy Faith.”
He paused and looked a little confused. He started counting on his fingers. Then he looked at the two of them with a countenance of Holy Rage!
“Only Eight leanaí? What Devil’s work have you been up to?”

The old parish priest on Achill Island on the West Coast of Ireland in the late sixties was making his rounds visiting families in the rural areas.
He came to the small farming cottage of Aiden and Aileen O’Connor. He sat and visited a while before commencing to reminisce.
“Aye, it was ten years ago this Spring that I sanctified you both in Holy Matrimony in our Mother Church. And you two have been good attenders at Mass and your eight children have all been Baptized in the Holy Faith.”
He paused and looked a little confused. He started counting on his fingers. Then he looked at the two of them with a countenance of Holy Rage!
“Only Eight leanaí? What Devil’s work have you been up to?”

Indeed. And of Mom and Dad’s conservative Catholic brood, two are still conservative Catholics, two are Trump voting evangelicals, and I'm the born again atheist.

We stopped discussing religion and politics, not a breath not a word, sometime during Clinton’s second term. :rolleyes:

Someone else I suspect you will never have heard of, unless you are a real old-school computer geek.... And yet you will use what he invented almost every time you use your computer. (I used it creating this post.)

Larry Tesler, 1946-2020. The computer scientist who came up with the commands for Cut, Copy and Paste

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51567695
I guess he went the way of command-X. (Too soon?)

A little late on this one, but I just found out: Dyanne Thorne, iconic star of the Ilsa movies, passed away January 28, of pancreatic cancer at the age of 83.
Ilsa-_She_Wolf_of_the_SS_poster_65832.jpgilsa_-she-wolf-of-the-ss.jpgilsa_harem_keeper_glc_05.jpgilsa1.jpgilsa2.jpg

A little late on this one, but I just found out: Dyanne Thorne, iconic star of the Ilsa movies, passed away January 28, of pancreatic cancer at the age of 83.
She put down the ultimate vicious domina. The 'She wolf of the SS' movie was so over the top, that it became a mainstream succes (the other Ilsa movies never came close to that).

She was around 38 years old, nearly forty, when she played her iconic role in 'Ilsa, the she-wolf of the SS'. Recent critics state that, today, focus on youth is so strong that she would never get the part nowadays.

Thorne, also wearing black, but on this occasion beyond the final frontier (where she is now forever), in a Star Trek episode.

dt1.jpgdt2.jpg

Maybe based on inpiration by Gaddafi's 'amazon guard'?
Her character from 'the she-wolf of the SS', is said to be loosely based on Ilse Koch. Actually, Koch and her husband made it so terrible when in charge in concentration camp Buchenwald, that they were arrested during the war, and he was executed.

Concerning 'the harem keeper of the sheik', in those years, with the oil crisis of 1973 still in mind, Arab sheiks were a very fancy subject, including myths and urban legends of young women being abducted by white slave traders, to serve in a harem.

Katherine Johnson (1918-2020). A female American mathematician, formerly working for NASA, whose calculations were crucial for the success of the US manned spaceflights in the 1960-1980's. She did the complex calculations (manual in the early days) of trajectories, orbits, launch windows, space rendez-vous.

It is said, many astronauts would only go up, after they were sure, Katherine Johnson had veryfied the orbital calculations.

Katherine Johnson (1918-2020). A female American mathematician, formerly working for NASA, whose calculations were crucial for the success of the US manned spaceflights in the 1960-1980's. She did the complex calculations (manual in the early days) of trajectories, orbits, launch windows, space rendez-vpus.

It is said, many astronauts would only go up, after they were sure, Katherine Johnson had veryfied the orbital calculations.
The obituary from the New York Times:

Attachments

• katherineJohnson.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 2
Someone else I suspect you will never have heard of, unless you are a real old-school computer geek.... And yet you will use what he invented almost every time you use your computer. (I used it creating this post.)

Larry Tesler, 1946-2020. The computer scientist who came up with the commands for Cut, Copy and Paste

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51567695

I've waited 9 years to post this picture
Blindowl Humor  - 17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom