Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
The Germans were rather more successful with out-of-the-box thinking and designs. The Dornier Do335 was actually produced in small numbers before the end of the war. It was a unique twin engine design in a push-pull configuration. It was intended to be a heavy fighter / night fighter, but no way to know how successful it would have been. An interesting feature it had was the rear pusher propeller that could be jettisoned with explosive bolts so the pilots could bale / eject and not be killed by a spinning prop.
The US captured an example of the aircraft, and in the mid seventies returned it to Germany for restoration at the Dornier factory where it was built. It was left in Germany on display for some years, but was eventually returned to the US where I assume it's still on display.
unnamed.jpg

You may have heard of the m1 garand during WW2 but there was another gun designer John pedersen who even John browning thought highly of. The bottom is called the pedersen rifle and almost got selected instead of the m1, other notable example is called the pedersen device for m1903 Springfield rifle

Attachments

• IMG_4509.jpeg
    IMG_4509.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 35
meth? During WW I the "Alpini" were famous for the use of large quantities of wine and grappa. Then the "Cordiale degli Alpini" was invented (caffeine, coca, rum etc.).
From small bottles to plastic bags some type of cordiale is still produced by the army medical laboratories...
VinoGrandeGuerra-888x550.jpgimage.jpg226162450_10217971270785775_4122357967468944311_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
meth? During WW I the "Alpini" were famous for the use of large quantities of wine and grappa. Then the "Cordiale degli Alpini" was invented (caffeine, coca, rum etc.).
From small bottles to plastic bags some type of cordiale is still produced by the army medical laboratories...
View attachment 1466337View attachment 1466336View attachment 1466335View attachment 1466334
Reminds me of this notorious movie character :
booze.jpg "This is the most potent weapon in war! The fighting spirit is in this bottle!"

What soldiers should take with them in World War II.
By the way, Pervitin is methamphetamine and is now known as meth.
Incidentally, it was still kept available by many armies after 1945 and was only taken off the market as a medication in Germany in 1988.
View attachment 1466229 View attachment 1466230 View attachment 1466231 View attachment 1466232 View attachment 1466233
The book on drug use in the German forces is "der Totale Rausch" (the English version is "Blitzed"). Allied air forces had to keep pilots awake on long missions--they didn't do it with loud music. Ground troops needed to stay awake too.
"Coke", of course, was invented early in the 20th century and featured real cocaine.

As I recall from magazine articles, it had raather severe stability and overheating issues. But that was many moons ago, so don't quote me on that.
Well, the motto of the various "Skunk Works" had to be "try it and see what happens". There is a reason that test pilots were admired.
I'm sure everyone has heard this story about how the term "bug" came to be used in computer science (it is probably true). In early machines, the vacuum tubes would glow and overheat and attract moths, which would take down the device. That was only 70-80 years ago. The progress is astounding, akin to the revolution in medicine and molecular biology. Heat is still an issue in current (no pun intended) chips, but biology is no longer involved.

Back
Top Bottom