Rebecca and The Bloody Codes

Go to CruxDreams.com
Chapter 3 The Seven Dials

The sheer size and congestion of London was totally alien to Rebecca. The simple country girl had never seen more than a dozen people together at a time outside of church. Naturally shy, this cacophony of people and noise left her completed disoriented. When she did get the courage to ask directions, her Kentish accent caused strangers to act like she was speaking a foreign language and just waved her off. At last, an elderly woman took pity on her and listened carefully and looked at her letter. Finally, she understood and gave her directions to St. Giles Parish in the West End.

Rebecca made her way down Cheapside past the gleaming white stone of new St. Paul's Cathedral to her left, an incredible sight to a farm girl. Then on to Newgate Street, passing the grim facade of Newgate Prison. By this time the girl was quite tired from the long walk and took a scotch bait.

Continuing through the late-afternoon down Holborn, she was astonished at the life around her. Prostitutes often lined the streets, soliciting clients, even baring a breast in invitation. Gin houses were a frequent sight. The “Gin Craze,” which had started in the 1680’s with the accession of William of Orange and a boycott of French brandy, had snowballed as the unregulated and low taxed spirits made drunkenness affordable to the lower classes. One of the gin houses Rebecca passed had a sign, “Drunk for a penny, dead drunk for tuppence, clean straw for nothing.”

She followed Holborn as it became High Holborn. This brought her to St. Giles Parish. From there she turned left a short way to Seven Dials.

Though the Seven Dials area had only been laid out as a new development thirty-five years earlier in 1690 and intended to attract wealthy tenants like nearby Covent Garden Piazza, it never succeeded as such. The sundial column at the intersection of seven roads was built with six faces, with the column itself acting as the gnomon of the seventh dial. By 1723, the area was already on its way to being a low-rent, shabby slum. Within a few years after this, each of the seven apexes would house a pub.

It was dusk when Rebecca came to the seven intersection. Comparing her letter, she identified St. Andrew’s Street and turned north past a busy street market. A half-block up she came to #27 (Rebecca knew her numbers and add and subtract them; her father had taught her.)

The big wooden door was shut and locked and there was no light to be seen inside even now in the gathering gloom of early evening. Rebecca knocked softly at first. However, after waiting several minutes she began knocking louder and louder and yet got no answer. She couldn’t read the notice tacked to the door, “Bankruptcy. Sheriff Sale June 5th.”

Rebecca made such a commotion banging and crying for attention, that an upper window nearby opened and the inhabitant yelled out, “Stop that noise or I’ll have the constable on you.”

Rebecca asked, “I’m to meet Villiam Dodge. Ha'ant yew sin 'im?”

“Dodge? He hasn’t been here these two days, since he got took off by the bum trap. Now go away and keep the peace or I’ll have ye arrested.”

Tired, hungry, thirsty, and penniless, now Rebecca was frightened. She was alone in a big strange city. The one person she knew was nowhere to be found. Too exhausted to go on, she went into the small alley between buildings and slumped on the ground. After an hour or so, the girl had cried herself to sleep.

Rebecca made her way down Cheapside past the gleaming white stone of new St. Paul's Cathedral to her left, an incredible sight to a farm girl. Then on to Newgate Street, passing the grim facade of Newgate Prison.
Nice juxtapositioning (and foreshadowing!).

After an hour or so, the girl had cried herself to sleep.
Nice pathos.

I am enjoying this, PrPr.

Nice juxtapositioning (and foreshadowing!).

Nice pathos.

I am enjoying this, PrPr.
Thank you for the kind words. I am living in dread that one of our many UK members will point out a gross error in the geography or description of 18th century London or Kent.

FYI, I'm using occasional 18th century slang for "color". In order to not interrupt the story, I usually don't give the meaning. A useful tool if you want, is to highlight the word and right click for "Search Google for "XXX"" often the meaning will pop right up.
For example, in this last chapter, "scotch bait" pulls up "A halt and a resting on a stick, as practised by pedlars" and "a rest taken as one walks along." The second is the use here.

Thank you for the kind words. I am living in dread that one of our many UK members will point out a gross error in the geography or description of 18th century London or Kent.
Keep going PrPr . No problems so far. By the way, for those who don`t know ,"pikey" is slang for gypsy or vagrant. Rebecca`s problems seem to be rapidly escalating, she should be falling foul of the authorities before too long.

Keep going PrPr . No problems so far. By the way, for those who don`t know ,"pikey" is slang for gypsy or vagrant. Rebecca`s problems seem to be rapidly escalating, she should be falling foul of the authorities before too long.
Thank You. BTW, I would urge all my readers to enter some location in their profile. You don't need to be as specific as The Grand Strand, South Carolina (though that is 80 miles of coastline and almost a half million people). But country and region (Arkansas, Northern Forest, Kent, Saxony) add a nice setting to you and your posts. No pressure

Some etchings to help set the scene.
Seven Dials in the 18th Century
7 fig69.gif
St. Andrews Street
7 y9e-2590875.jpg
Map of St. Giles Parish (Seven Dials is in the lower left; High Holborn goes west to east through the middle)
06_1723_John_Strype_St_Giles_Parish_Final_Layout_Of_Seven_Dials_And_The_Orientation_Of_The_Sun...jpg
Seven Dials Today
7 view-of-the-london-seven-dials-road-junction-TWD6J0.jpg

Map of St. Giles Parish (Seven Dials is in the lower left; High Holborn goes west to east through the middle)
View attachment 771371

Fascinating map, I'm enjoying working out what's there today that wasn't there then -
Tiburn Road, with its grim associations, is now Oxford Street,
Hog Lane seems to be where Regent Street is now.
And Montague House was soon to become the home of the British Museum ...

Fascinating map, I'm enjoying working out what's there today that wasn't there then -
Hog Lane seems to be where Regent Street is now.
And Montague House was soon to become the home of the British Museum ...
I am glad to have stimulated your intellectual interests (although there are other things about you I would be glad to stimulate). I have made efforts to give accurate directions around London in 1723 and of the architecture then present..

Has any of the story interested you?

Eulalia has, as usual shown her vast knowledge, but left too much unsaid.

In Roman times Holborn continuing to Tiborn (or Tyburn - the English were not slaves to consistency in spelling [like me :( ] - was part of a major road, the Via Trinobantina, running from Essex to Hampshire though Londinium. In the middle ages, the section from St. Giles west was named Tyburn (now the location of Marble Arch) for the Village of Tyburn. This, in turn, was named for Tyburn (meaning boundary stream) Brook.

Throughout the Middle Ages, there was a permanent Gallows erected between where is now Marble Arch and Speaker's Corner, called Tyburn Tree. Condemned prisoners were processed on a wagon from Newgate Prison along the route Rebecca took to St. Giles in the Fields and then on Tiborn street to Tyburn Tree. Public executions were moved to the front of Newgate prison in 1783 and as Tyburn gentrified, the street was renamed Oxford Street.

How many know that Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England was hanged from Tyburn tree in 1661? Yes, he had already been dead three years, but the Cavalier Parliament ordered his body disinterred and hung in revenge for his part in the beheaded of Charles I.

All of this sets an ominous tone for our poor Rebecca, who, if she runs afoul of the Bloody Codes, could also dance on air from Tyburn Tree.
Tyburn_tree.jpg

Eulalia has, as usual shown her vast knowledge, but left too much unsaid.

In Roman times Holborn continuing to Tiborn (or Tyburn - the English were not slaves to consistency in spelling [like me :( ] - was part of a major road, the Via Trinobantina, running from Essex to Hampshire though Londinium. In the middle ages, the section from St. Giles west was named Tyburn (now the location of Marble Arch) for the Village of Tyburn. This, in turn, was named for Tyburn (meaning boundary stream) Brook.

Throughout the Middle Ages, there was a permanent Gallows erected between where is now Marble Arch and Speaker's Corner, called Tyburn Tree. Condemned prisoners were processed on a wagon from Newgate Prison along the route Rebecca took to St. Giles in the Fields and then on Tiborn street to Tyburn Tree. Public executions were moved to the front of Newgate prison in 1783 and as Tyburn gentrified, the street was renamed Oxford Street.

How many know that Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England was hanged from Tyburn tree in 1661? Yes, he had already been dead three years, but the Cavalier Parliament ordered his body disinterred and hung in revenge for his part in the beheaded of Charles I.

All of this sets an ominous tone for our poor Rebecca, who, if she runs afoul of the Bloody Codes, could also dance on air from Tyburn Tree.
View attachment 771498

I have said it before, but I think it can appropriately be repeated here. CF can be quite educational. Of that we should be very proud.

in turn, was named for Tyburn (meaning boundary stream) Brook.

View attachment 771498
See... mass public hangings should never have been outlawed...
hang 940 A.jpghang 948.jpg

Back
Top Bottom