Roman Conquests: Were the Leaders of the Tribes They Conquered Crucified?

Go to CruxDreams.com
being used for what ?

I have a friend who is a few years younger than I am and where she grew up the station wagons with the wood grain on the side were known as "beaver whackers" instead of "woodies".

Oh god, when she told us that it took someone about 5 minutes to stop laughing long enough to explain to her what a "beaver" was.

She had no clue, which only made the whole thing funnier.

Beautiful, fun girl, I wish she wasn't straight.

kisses

willowfall

I have a friend who is a few years younger than I am and where she grew up the station wagons with the wood grain on the side were known as "beaver whackers" instead of "woodies".

Oh god, when she told us that it took someone about 5 minutes to stop laughing long enough to explain to her what a "beaver" was.

kisses

willowfall

I do know what beaver is slang for, but never heard of a beaver whacker station wagon. But then station wagons are all but extinct these days. Funny!!!!!

kisses

willowfall
And did anyone need to explain what 'woodies' are? :p

And did anyone need to explain what 'woodies' are? :p

Actually we didn't go into what a "woodie" was. I think if we had to explain that to her too I would have wet my pants.

However I will also admit that I put my dad in an awkward situation once when I asked him (I was probably 6 at the time) why the car was called a "woody". It wasn't until years later that I realized what a spectacular effort he made to keep a straight face and explain to me that was a reference to the wood grain paneling on the side of the car as my brothers (who are 22 to 10 years older than I am) were standing there laughing.

It might have been 8 or 9 years later as my brother was relating the story to one of his friends that I finally caught the double entendre.

kisses

willowfall

It refers to the female genitalia. There are many stories as to how the term arose, and it's hard to know which is the most credible.

I thought it had to do with my bush ... likening it to a beaver pelt. But maybe I was misinformed. My source is suspect? :rolleyes:

Tree works on a "need to know"-Basis. Have you really thought he could tell you everything he knows in 10 minutes? He stopped because he assumed that your retentiveness wasn´t longer.

No, he stopped after 8 minutes ‘cause he passed out. ;)

I won't say they never were but based on my reading of Rome's campaigns (I just finished Caesar 's Gaul Campaign) generally after defeating the tribe the Roman's tended to make clients of the tribe's leadership. This was easier than killing off the entire leadership and using direct rule.
Yes, there was evidently tension and argument then - as there often is now - between the need to defeat a dangerous, troublesome people just across the limites, in such a way as to ensure they wouldn't cause any more trouble - which might mean cruel exemplary punishments, massacres, mass-enslavement, laying waste the land... and the advantages of taking over, or at least having the co-operation of, compliant local warlords and contented, productive populations.
Vercingetorix, King or Chieftain of the Gauls gave himself up to prevent further death by starvation when Julius Caesar besieged Alesia. He was ultimately paraded through Rome and then executed by strangulation. He would have likely been a more famous prisoner, considering that he had earlier decisively defeated Caesar's legions and forcing them to withdraw from Gaul. Strangulation was likely considered more honourable, and a nod to his station.

View attachment 607895 Perhaps it's because I'm blond but I dont know ... Could you explain ?
It refers to the female genitalia. There are many stories as to how the term arose, and it's hard to know which is the most credible.
And here in Ottawa, one family invented a deep fried flatbread, served with cinnamon, maple syrup, chocolate, and a range of other toppings, which are now a famous treat, especially in winter. These are called beavertails, partly because they are shaped like the tail of the beaver, but it is also not coincidental that the family that invented them was the Hookers. No joke.:D

And these are served to kids. :rolleyes::p

And here in Ottawa, one family invented a deep fried flatbread, served with cinnamon, maple syrup, chocolate, and a range of other toppings, which are now a famous treat, especially in winter. These are called beavertails, partly because they are shaped like the tail of the beaver, but it is also not coincidental that the family that invented them was the Hookers. No joke.:D

And these are served to kids. :rolleyes::p
Of course they are served to kids... You don't want them having sex, do you???

Back
Top Bottom