Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
I do love a nice historical artefact!

https://www.theguardian.com/science...tool-its-a-very-naughty-toy-roman-dildo-found

3235.jpg

Last edited:
A new open access e-book by Professor David Tombs, The Crucifixion of Jesus: Torture, Sexual Abuse, and the Scandal of the Cross, is perhaps the most detailed treatment of the stripping and sexual abuse aspects of Roman crucifixion so far.
What i did not know, was the gem presented therein

earlygem.jpg,

i think it should be mandatory to read, because it corrects the churchly, softened and probably missleading depiction we have from the crucifixion. On the other hand, if we like the passion play of non-sexual imaginend crucifixion that might have its role in our imagination. You must decide. I want to add to the Tomb depictation, that additionally to todays views an impalation, especially an anal impalation is in the Roman view degrading aand taking away the manhood of the victim. Any other impalation, compared to the wound of Roman soldiers in the many wars is no problem at all. Also today, where gay sexual practises are normal aand naturally medical investigations there are not only normal, but highly recommended (males above 50 or so) this would today not be a a problem, except naturally that a to long or big pole (cornu) is unhealthy.

Whoa whoa whoa folks.

While I agree that the church probably sanitized what happened to crux victims (after all from their perspective the point it it DID happen for your sake, the details are irrelevant) in NO WAY is anything written claiming to be what ACTUALLY happened is FACTUAL. There are no extant writings from the time period on Roman crucifixion. There are no crux manuals, are no court records to be found, are no newspaper reports there is nothing created by the people at the time who were there or involved.

The number of recovered bones that MAY be connected to a Roman crux victim can be counted on one hand.

At best writings like this a well reasoned logical deductions based on the few extant writings we do have about Roman culture at worst they are the authors fantasies.

In a non-literate society where the dissemination of information was very localized visual presentation to the locals was important. A victim who was crucified had the following (1) Obvious marks from pre-crux torture on the body and (2) was obviously in pain as they were dying. That's all the locals needed to see to say "Hell I don't know what that guy did but I'm going to behave myself". There was no way they hung up a sign that said "Yeah and we raped this guy up his ass too!"

Any extracurricular tortures would have been strictly up to the whims pf the people doing (or directing) the torture.

So before you accept anything as fact remember that is an emotional decision on your part as there is no way to prove (or disprove for that matter) that it is.

kisses

willowfall

Whoa whoa whoa folks.
Interesting, that we still get emotionaly involved in a story 2000 year ago, that at least explains a distortion of the story to whatever side. The argument however goes, that the people in the Roman times indeed knew the now forgotten details, even if not all is reported till today. You could imagine, that also what we know now, will not survive 2000 years, and even if, probably it will not be discovered.

Interesting, that we still get emotionaly involved in a story 2000 year ago, that at least explains a distortion of the story to whatever side. The argument however goes, that the people in the Roman times indeed knew the now forgotten details, even if not all is reported till today. You could imagine, that also what we know now, will not survive 2000 years, and even if, probably it will not be discovered.

True people did know and they were extremely limited in number (compared to the population of the empire).

For all of Christ's historical significance today he was just one of many people running around preaching (that era was full of "prophets" and "messiahs" who had some notoriety locally) but nobody in say Spain knew a damn thing about Christ until years after the fact. Ever play "telephone" in school? If not. it is a game where the teacher whispers something in a student's ear who tells the next and so on. By the time it gets around the classroom in less then 10 minutes it is usually highly distorted.

And there is no propaganda purpose to what was or was not said in the game unlike religious docments.

So YES there were people who knew exactly what happened in that dungeon and on that hill that day. And we don't have one confirmable, factual piece of evidence from any of them.

And of course we get emotionally involved, religion is strictly based on emotion because there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of God(s). And as to "documentation" of miracles, yeah right, that's why the RC did a wholesale massacre of "saints" in the 20th Century. The documentation didn't hold up.

I'm not saying what the author said didn't happen, I don't know but until someone invents a time machine it is all conjecture at best.

Now the difference between today and then as far as transmittal of information is concerned is that information is much more widespread today in a variety of forms. But think about this, there is more misinformation on the internet than factual material (and we haven't even started to consider interpretations) so even if it all survives how will those who follow us know what is factual or not?

kisses

willow

Anyway 'Garum Masala', a bit about Roman-Indian trade relations by ship, it's an archive link to get around a paywall.
https://archive.ph/R2JFl

For many decades the Roman's maintained an 'anti-priracy' squadron in the Red Sea to secure the trade links with the subcontinent. Of course the Roman's knew about India (and probably China) thru Alexander's conquests and overland trade routes thru the areas the Persians controlled.

kisses

willowfall

True people did know and they were extremely limited in number (compared to the population of the empire).

For all of Christ's historical significance today he was just one of many people running around preaching (that era was full of "prophets" and "messiahs" who had some notoriety locally) but nobody in say Spain knew a damn thing about Christ until years after the fact. Ever play "telephone" in school? If not. it is a game where the teacher whispers something in a student's ear who tells the next and so on. By the time it gets around the classroom in less then 10 minutes it is usually highly distorted.

And there is no propaganda purpose to what was or was not said in the game unlike religious docments.

So YES there were people who knew exactly what happened in that dungeon and on that hill that day. And we don't have one confirmable, factual piece of evidence from any of them.

And of course we get emotionally involved, religion is strictly based on emotion because there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of God(s). And as to "documentation" of miracles, yeah right, that's why the RC did a wholesale massacre of "saints" in the 20th Century. The documentation didn't hold up.

I'm not saying what the author said didn't happen, I don't know but until someone invents a time machine it is all conjecture at best.

Now the difference between today and then as far as transmittal of information is concerned is that information is much more widespread today in a variety of forms. But think about this, there is more misinformation on the internet than factual material (and we haven't even started to consider interpretations) so even if it all survives how will those who follow us know what is factual or not?

kisses

willow
Sorry, but I don’t believe there is more misinformation on the internet than factual material. The internet is loaded with historical and scientific information.

For many decades the Roman's maintained an 'anti-priracy' squadron in the Red Sea to secure the trade links with the subcontinent. Of course the Roman's knew about India (and probably China) thru Alexander's conquests and overland trade routes thru the areas the Persians controlled.

kisses

willowfall
The Romans not only knew about China, some of them went there. Including a guy named Titus.

Back
Top Bottom