Science Fiction, Fantasy & Human (& other) Beings in Peril

Go to CruxDreams.com
For those who love the patter of girls’ feet in combat boots in the morning.. sci-fi tv show Firefly and its follow-up movie Serenity had a good compliment of ass-kicking, gun-toting amazons amongst its crew of space pirates (and featured a bit of mild bondage here and there, too)
43C705E6-2B76-4F8A-B672-73737A1CC41A.jpegC99F8512-A9DC-46C6-A2AE-5143984D1506.jpegF9D75BD9-4616-40EA-8E99-7D5262974A31.jpeg0415A7F3-D991-43D2-96F7-19BA111B5144.jpeg911F0518-2961-4F3B-9E57-3C559ECFE730.jpegF3BE3E2D-E7E9-4DCE-8CE6-89C383B127D7.jpegE754CFEE-538F-4906-A5C5-848D2DA91B85.jpegC7A80F02-C0D8-4A0F-958B-E79885C17F65.jpegC6203115-70CE-4B7E-A85D-9C08AA8D07A4.jpeg0CB2FFF9-6CD6-43D6-AF50-C0DD7AFB2508.jpeg

Impressive prictures! Thank You! I think there are some artists still missing, for example Hajime Sorayama. Although there are some paintings by him which are sometimes so "strangely unique" that my first thought in German was: "OK, he is a really great artist, but somewhere a fuse must have blown away from his mind."
Some of his following paintings were so small on the internet that I changed them in size and colors. Most of them are from here and I hope they can really be downloaded from there without violating copyrights:

2_ji (neue Groesse).jpg03_ji (neue Groesse).jpg1177351420_sorayama_14_ji (neue Groesse).jpg1177351420_sorayama_40 (neue Groesse).jpg1177351420_sorayama_42 (neue Groesse).jpgso02_ji (neue Groesse).jpgsorayama_008_ji (neue Groesse).jpgsexy_robot_7.jpgmyth_9_ji.jpg

More about him is also to be found on YouTube, combined with music from Mike Oldfield:

Attachments

• myth_12_ji.jpg
    myth_12_ji.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 116
Then I found some more things on the internet concerning Sci-Fi- & Fantasy-Art:

And finally for today, my favorite "Epic Music Song" in this week with astonishingly well animated pictures in very fast succession from different kinds of Fantasy etc.:

Especially for this video, I installed a program (I got for free) which can make slow-motions out of every movie and I think it was worth it:
Ashampoo_Snap_2019.10.23_19h25m42s_024_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.08.28_21h52m46s_020_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.10.23_17h11m30s_017_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.08.28_22h16m56s_053_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.10.19_19h29m08s_003_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.08.28_21h44m06s_003_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.08.28_21h50m27s_016_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.10.23_17h00m47s_003_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.08.28_21h59m48s_035_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2019.10.23_17h02m02s_005_.jpg

Love these. This one in particular strikes my fancy for some reason...

Barb, absolutely. I have loved this picture for many many years. Just the thought of that girl, naked and suspended high above the world, forgotten, and then the rescue. Heroes get the best of both worlds, they see the damsel in her distress, and they get the gratitude of the rescued girl.
I've been looking around Sydney for naked suspended damsels in distress, but it musn't be the season for them or something :(

For those who love the patter of girls’ feet in combat boots in the morning.. sci-fi tv show Firefly and its follow-up movie Serenity had a good compliment of ass-kicking, gun-toting amazons amongst its crew of space pirates (and featured a bit of mild bondage here and there, too)
View attachment 781873View attachment 781874View attachment 781875View attachment 781876View attachment 781877View attachment 781878View attachment 781879View attachment 781880View attachment 781881View attachment 781882

Please, for the sake of my sanity everyone STOP. As a science fiction tragic since the age of 10 I am suffering serious overload in this thread already.
I cannae take it, captain!

ok, here's a Frank Herbert cover that interested me many moons ago, seems a nod to our common interest here
1937573.jpg

and Harry Harrison's Great Balls of Fire made an impression on this young man - I still have a copy somewhere though I haven't seen it for years
81wwm1quXDL.jpg

Last edited:
Barb, absolutely. I have loved this picture for many many years. Just the thought of that girl, naked and suspended high above the world, forgotten, and then the rescue. Heroes get the best of both worlds, they see the damsel in her distress, and they get the gratitude of the rescued girl.
I've been looking around Sydney for naked suspended damsels in distress, but it musn't be the season for them or something :(

Please, for the sake of my sanity everyone STOP. As a science fiction tragic since the age of 10 I am suffering serious overload in this thread already.
I cannae take it, captain!

ok, here's a Frank Herbert cover that interested me many moons ago, seems a nod to our common interest here
View attachment 782200

and Harry Harrison's Great Balls of Fire made an impression on this young man - I still have a copy somewhere though I haven't seen it for years
View attachment 782199
The first is by Tim White I believe
C4D8FDF4-36FA-461B-9D15-33EE299A566F.jpeg(His first appearance in this thread *edit: I think one or two of @Silent_Water ‘s spaceship pics might be Tim White’s)

..and the second is of course the great Jim Burns once again..
14D21FB9-0861-492A-8FDF-5AC06809B131.jpeg
..there’s nothing phallic about that spaceship, it’s all in the mind..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok since @phlebas and @Silent_Water both insist on posting Tim White, here are some of my favourites from his work; he illustrated all the greats; Frank Herbert, Robert Silverberg, Asimov, Heinlein, even H.P.Lovecraft..
View attachment 782239

Rescue, or sacrifice?

You know a lot of these pictures are simply, well, not soundtrack obviously, but the visual accompaniment of my SF journey since the early 70s. They are old friends. I've forgotten more science fiction stories than most people will read in a lifetime! Those covers, through childhood to adolescence to independent adulthood and beyond, the backdrop of a lifetime of reading.

It boils my blood when people (especially journalists!) talk about SF as if it only exists in film and TV. What a narrow world they inhabit.

(Phlebas descends from soapbox)

Some Heinlein covers
c24736c622a08dd2532a3110.L.jpg51gEV7hYx+L.jpg519KIuO4x0L._SX298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Maybe I should scan some of my own? Nah, too much work :p

Last edited:
Rescue, or sacrifice?

You know a lot of these pictures are simply, well, not soundtrack obviously, but the visual accompaniment of my SF journey since the early 70s. They are old friends. I've forgotten more Science Fiction stories than most people will read in a lifetime! Those covers, through childhood to adolescence to independent adulthood and beyond, the backdrop of a lifetime of reading.

It boils my blood when people (especially journalists!) talk about SF as if it only exists in film and TV. What a narrow world they inhabit.

(Phlebas descends from soapbox)

Some Heinlein covers
View attachment 782242View attachment 782243View attachment 782244

Maybe I should scan some of my own? Nah, too much work :p
Couldn’t agree more.. and when you’ve explored the vasty wildernesses and jaw-dropping miracles of the universe in the company of these poets and painters .. it makes most contemporary mainstream fiction seem like rancid ditchwater in comparison.
(Montycrusto also descends from soapbox and chides himself and @phlebas for illeism)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh.. I think I was a bit influenced by this when I drew this Mongolian warrior and his slave girl....
View attachment 781717
As we were asked to stop the overload, this picture gives me the opportunity to play one of my favorite roles in discussions: I sometimes like to be the "pseudo-philosophical smart-ass" in smalltalk.
I am often surprised about things / events / emperors in history that / who changed the world, but there is one thing which surprised me more because it did not happen in history and this is the story after which I often asked myself if and what might be out there in this universe to influence human history: God? Aliens? A special interest of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen-Paradoxon in human history?

In any case and the following seems to be true as far as I could check it, in the year 1239 or 1240, a small Mongolian delegation visited the German emperor Friedrich II. in his capital in Italy, announcing the coming annexation of this little peninsula with the name "Europe" into the Mongolian empire during the coming 5 years, but as the Great Khan was informed about Friedrich II., he has written a very good book about hunting with birds of prey, so the Great Khan offers him his sympathy and the job of being his "Falkner" and his right hand in hunting with birds. Friedrich had already heard about the conquests of the Mongols in Asia, so he pretended to be friendly, took the presents from the delegation and said, it is now not the time to decide the answer yet:

In 1241, the conquest of "this little peninsula Europe" really started. Two Mongolian armies came from the Ural and the European documents from this time which still exist are declaring these armies to be warriors from hell. The documents state that there were so many Mongolian soldiers that it was impossible to tell the exact numbers, several witnesses said: "Please believe us, we are not exaggerating, we have never before seen so many soldiers on horses, they must be more than our biggest cities have inhabitants! There are more than 10.000 Mongolian soldiers, much more!"
The first Mongolian army in the North easily defeated a combined army of German, Polish, Moravian and even Roman (sent by the Pope) knights at the battle of Liegnitz / Legnica and killed all the European knights there.

Two days before the second Mongolian army about 1000 kilometers to the South defeated a combined army of Hungarian, Slovakian and Romanian knights at the battle of Mohi / Sajo:
Historical texts describe how the Mongolian troops most probably and for the first time in European history used gunpowder and primitive rockets from their before conquered Chinese advisors to trigger panic in the enemy armies.
Nothing in Europe could really stop them but after their two big victories, these two Mongolian armies looted around, killed all the population in villages and cities who did not surrender at once in Eastern Europe - and turned back into the direction of Russia.

As far as it is possible to read the texts, the Great Khan Oegedei had died after a hunting accident, in which his horse broke one leg and landed on parts of the Great Khan's body.
The commanders of the conquest armies were his sons who had to be back in Mongolia as soon as possible to prepare his cremation (?) and to decide who would be his successor.
Seen from the European point of view, it was very friendly of this Great Khan to die at the perfect time to save Europe because the conquest of Prague, Rome and Paris was a declared "touristic destination" of the Mongolian armies. On the other hand, the next Khan was probably a bit disappointed by the poverty of the Europeans he had seen in Eastern Europe compared to the treasures of China and Arabia, so the Mongolian armies later turned to the South and in 1258, they conquered and destroyed Bagdad, killing more than 1 million of the Arabian population on their way there.
The distances which these Mongolian armies left behind and the organisation of their military campaigns are incredible even up to our days.

The history of the whole world would have completely changed, if the Great Khan Oegedei would not have been so kind to die in an absolutely perfect timing for Europeans.

Last edited:
As we were asked to stop the overload, this picture gives me the opportunity to play one of my favorite roles in discussions: I sometimes like to be the "pseudo-philosophical smart-ass" in smalltalk.
I am often surprised about things / events / emperors in history that / who changed the world, but there is one thing which surprised me more because it did not happen in history and this is the story after which I often asked myself if and what might be out there in this universe to influence human history: God? Aliens? A special interest of the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen-Paradoxon in human history?

In any case and the following seems to be true as far as I could check it, in the year 1239 or 1240, a small Mongolian delegation visited the German emperor Friedrich II. in his capital in Italy, announcing the coming annexation of this little peninsula with the name "Europe" into the Mongolian empire during the coming 5 years, but as the Great Khan was informed about Friedrich II., he has written a very good book about hunting with birds of prey, so the Great Khan offers him his sympathy and the job of being his "Falkner" and his right hand in hunting with birds. Friedrich had already heard about the conquests of the Mongols in Asia, so he pretended to be friendly, took the presents from the delegation and said, it is now not the time to decide the answer yet:

In 1241, the conquest of "this little peninsula Europe" really started. Two Mongolian armies came from the Ural and the European documents from this time which still exist are declaring these armies to be warriors from hell. The documents state that there were so many Mongolian soldiers that it was impossible to tell the exact numbers, several witnesses said: "Please believe us, we are not exaggerating, we have never before seen so many soldiers on horses, they must be more than our biggest cities have inhabitants! There are more than 10.000 Mongolian soldiers, much more!"
The first Mongolian army in the North easily defeated a combined army of German, Polish, Moravian and even Roman (sent by the Pope) knights at the battle of Liegnitz / Legnica and killed all the European knights there.

Two days before the second Mongolian army about 1000 kilometers to the South defeated a combined army of Hungarian, Slovakian and Romanian knights at the battle of Mohi / Sajo:
Historical texts describe how the Mongolian troops most probably and for the first time in European history used gunpowder and primitive rockets from their before conquered Chinese advisors to trigger panic in the enemy armies.
Nothing in Europe could really stop them but after their two big victories, these two Mongolian armies looted around, killed all the population in villages and cities who did not surrender at once in Eastern Europe - and turned back into the direction of Russia.

As far as it is possible to read the texts, the Great Khan Oegedei had died after a hunting accident, in which his horse broke one leg and landed on parts of the Great Khan's body.
The commanders of the conquest armies were his sons who had to be back in Mongolia as soon as possible to prepare his cremation (?) and to decide who would be his successor.
Seen from the European point of view, it was very friendly of this Great Khan to die at the perfect time to save Europe because the conquest of Prague, Rome and Paris was a declared "touristic destination" of the Mongolian armies. On the other hand, the next Khan was probably a bit disappointed by the poverty of the Europeans he had seen in Eastern Europe compared to the treasures of China and Arabia, so the Mongolian armies later turned to the South and in 1258, they conquered and destroyed Bagdad, killing more than 1 million of the Arabian population on their way there.
The distances which these Mongolian armies left behind and the organisation of their military campaigns are incredible even up to our days.

The history of the whole world would have completely changed, if the Great Khan Oegedei would not have been so kind to die in an absolutely perfect timing for Europeans.
Most people (when reading Nomads of Gor) :”Oh it’s obviously based on history.. the Wagon Peoples are the Mongols and the Tuchuks are the Golden Horde..”

Me, when reading history; “oh, it’s obviously based on Nomads of Gor..”

Back
Top Bottom