Solution To Video Playback Problems In Firefox 50

Go to CruxDreams.com

Darkprincess69

High Priestess of Slaanesh
Just in case Firefox 50 has been causing you pain...

The latest release of Firefox (50.0) has been causing a few issues for users running it on non-Windows operating systems (Linux, Android, MacOS etc). Most affected users have been on Linux and the issue has been traced to Mozilla's decision to block older versions of libavcodec, which is the video codec used by these operating systems.

The result of this decision is that certain videos on Youtube, farcebook and many other sites are not playing properly or at all. Basically videos that use the h.264 video codec via HTML5 are affected, though others may well experience issues too)

Users with up-to-date systems are likely to be OK (I run Linux Mint 18 (which is based on Ubuntu 16.04) which doesn't appear to be affected by this) but older operating systems that use libavcodec will be experiencing difficulties until they get the latest codec updates. Until very recently I was running Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) which would have experienced these problems)

While Linux users have been the most affected by this issue, other systems based on Linux (such as Android) are also having problems under certain circumstances.

However, the fix is very simple;

Open Firefox and type about:config in the address bar. A warning message will appear to the effect that you shouldn't really be messing with this stuff. You guys know what you're doing so you can hit the blue button to continue...

You need to scroll down until you find the entry "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" (you can just enter "obsolete" in the about:config search box and it'll go right to it). Now right-click on it and click Toggle from the pop-up menu. This will change the setting from "false" to "true". Restart Firefox and you can watch Youtube, farcebook and other affected content once again...

Easy when you know how, isn't it?

Just in case Firefox 50 has been causing you pain...

The latest release of Firefox (50.0) has been causing a few issues for users running it on non-Windows operating systems (Linux, Android, MacOS etc). Most affected users have been on Linux and the issue has been traced to Mozilla's decision to block older versions of libavcodec, which is the video codec used by these operating systems.

The result of this decision is that certain videos on Youtube, farcebook and many other sites are not playing properly or at all. Basically videos that use the h.264 video codec via HTML5 are affected, though others may well experience issues too)

Users with up-to-date systems are likely to be OK (I run Linux Mint 18 (which is based on Ubuntu 16.04) which doesn't appear to be affected by this) but older operating systems that use libavcodec will be experiencing difficulties until they get the latest codec updates. Until very recently I was running Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) which would have experienced these problems)

While Linux users have been the most affected by this issue, other systems based on Linux (such as Android) are also having problems under certain circumstances.

However, the fix is very simple;

Open Firefox and type about:config in the address bar. A warning message will appear to the effect that you shouldn't really be messing with this stuff. You guys know what you're doing so you can hit the blue button to continue...

You need to scroll down until you find the entry "media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete" (you can just enter "obsolete" in the about:config search box and it'll go right to it). Now right-click on it and click Toggle from the pop-up menu. This will change the setting from "false" to "true". Restart Firefox and you can watch Youtube, farcebook and other affected content once again...

Easy when you know how, isn't it?

My God! I love when you talk tec to me, DP! :p

Love the farsebook and the "You guys know what you're doing" parts.

Such a teacher!

;)

Back
Top Bottom