The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I haven't been well lately*,and apparently i had mild symptoms of Coronavirus....been told,to self- isolate ,for the mandatory 10 days,until 31st Dec
:( :(
I've taken one of the dreaded Covid tests,now to wait.....
One thing for sure,I've got enough ME 262's,to keep me busy lol....
* I'm hoping its just a winter lurgy.....

View attachment 943202
“coffee solves everything “
Photo by xtzc
Or sometimes it reminds you of something else entirely. :D
Ariel-Coffee-0001.jpg

Anyway, I just got myself a nice bottle of Islay Scotch Whiskey (for Christmas, y'ken), distilled by the good people at Laphroig, and with the bottle comes (so it says) the opportunity to own 1 square foot of land along the Kilbride Stream. As nice a thought as it is that I might be able to annex parts of Scotland, one bottle of whiskey at a time, there is this bit about registering as a Friend of Laphroig. I understand, of course, that this is mainly a dollied up loyalty program ploy, which is hoping to keep me buying their whiskey, rather than going over to Lagavulin or some other Islay Scotch, but there's a forum. We have a forum. We talk about sexy things like whipping and crucifixion, and hanging Barb up somewhere decoratively naked in our homes, dungeons, or castles. I understand that. What do people do on a whiskey-oriented forum? Recipes? I mean, I just feel that if I join a whiskey forum, I would have to be careful about saying something like: "you know, this whiskey goes really well when I have a pretty girl tied naked to a post."

We're all much safer here. :D

Last edited:
You'd be in grave danger of being tied up and thrown into Loch Laphroaig if on a Scotch Whisky forum you spelt it the Irish/ US way :mad:
OK, does this mean the offer he got for the square foot of land is really from some foreign source (the Sicilian Mafia? Monte Python's Spanish Inquistion?) and wouldn't be honored in Scotland if it does split off from the UK? If Scotland tried to join the EU, would there be a veto from Ireland over whisk(e)y? British and US spelling are already maddeningly different? Are we going to add more complexity? Globalization seems to be crumbling on all fronts.

You'd be in grave danger of being tied up and thrown into Loch Laphroaig if on a Scotch Whisky forum you spelt it the Irish/ US way :mad:
Good heavens! I'd never noticed that spelling of whisky before. Also, I should type things before I start in on the whisky, and not after, but tha's another story. :D

Good heavens! I'd never noticed that spelling of whisky before. Also, I should type things before I start in on the whisky, and not after, but tha's another story. :D
You should have put some Latin into your post, you might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb... :rolleyes::D

At least I'm not English. German and Ukrainian background, me. I have no historical feud with the Northern Forest. :confused::cool:;)
I hadn't thought of that! I just thought it was my terrible Latin! :eek:

They have long memories North of the border. Can I plead that there were no Wraggs at Culloden? :confused:

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand anything when I was told on my last vacation in Eire in Galway that the first whiskey was distilled in their country before the Celtic compatriots in Scotland learned how to distill whiskey from Irish monks. Was that telling me the truth?

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand anything when I was told on my last vacation in Eire in Galway that the first whiskey was distilled in their country before the Celtic compatriots in Scotland learned how to distill whiskey from Irish monks. Was that telling me the truth?
That tale is told in Ireland, the opposite one in Scotland, in fact no-one knows. Fermenting fruits and grains to make alcoholic liquor is certainly evidenced from neolithic times, and concentrating the alcoholic strength by distilling was probably discovered pretty quickly after that. More efficient methods were known to the usual suspects - Babylonians, Greeks, Arabs etc. I don't think there's any particular reason to think it came to Britain and Ireland with Christian monks (though it seems the earliest missionaries may have sailed from the Mediterranean along with the amphorae of wine and oil traded with British chieftains for furs, precious metals and slaves) But modern stills were developed in the later middle ages for medical purposes and alchemy. So I guess anywhere where barley and other suitable grains were grown, prehistoric people got the idea of brewing beer, and after that of distilling the malted liquor to make a spirit, and their skill in doing it developed over the centuries and millennia.

Scots argue that they perfected both the technique and the product.

That tale is told in Ireland, the opposite one in Scotland, in fact no-one knows. Fermenting fruits and grains to make alcoholic liquor is certainly evidenced from neolithic times, and concentrating the alcoholic strength by distilling was probably discovered pretty quickly after that. More efficient methods were known to the usual suspects - Babylonians, Greeks, Arabs etc. I don't think there's any particular reason to think it came to Britain and Ireland with Christian monks (though it seems the earliest missionaries may have sailed from the Mediterranean along with the amphorae of wine and oil traded with British chieftains for furs, precious metals and slaves) But modern stills were developed in the later middle ages for medical purposes and alchemy. So I guess anywhere where barley and other suitable grains were grown, prehistoric people got the idea of brewing beer, and after that of distilling the malted liquor to make a spirit, and their skill in doing it developed over the centuries and millennia.
I don't want to contradict that, especially since I was able to enjoy an excellent Glenfiddich last night.

Back
Top Bottom