The Georgia Peach - A Story of the American Civil War

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yes, and that is actually a tiny bit of an anachronism in the story (not meant even remotely as criticism, as it would be super difficult to remember when writing sentences for dialog from the Civil War era, to not use any words that are common nowadays but did not exist or were not used in that way in the 1860s...
Anyway, the Chapter 16 catches well Sherman's state of 'loneliness at the top', and that is of all times, except for those leaders perhaps, who were shear psychopats. Sherman has a mission to accomplish and he must thereby tolerate acts that he personally rejects, and he has to witness them and let them happen, on his orders, for the sake of the success of the campaign and the higher target of winning the war.

Personally, I prefer the word torture. It makes things so much clearer in the victim's mind I find, it concentrates their thoughts beautifully. So, torture is the word I'm going to use with you Catherine. You've been an errant young lady and now I'm going to torture you. Make sure you do not ever make that mistake again. You will tell us what we need to know."
The problem is, that torture often leads to the victim telling what the interrogator wants to hear! Lieutenant Sampson only wants to hear her confession, and he will go on until Catherine would do, innocent or not. Such will convince him erratically that his method is succesful and make him continue makin guse of torture, when there is another case.

Anyway, the Chapter 16 catches well Sherman's state of 'loneliness at the top', and that is of all times, except for those leaders perhaps, who were shear psychopats. Sherman has a mission to accomplish and he must thereby tolerate acts that he personally rejects, and he has to witness them and let them happen, on his orders, for the sake of the success of the campaign and the higher target of winning the war.

The problem is, that torture often leads to the victim telling what the interrogator wants to hear! Lieutenant Sampson only wants to hear her confession, and he will go on until Catherine would do, innocent or not. Such will convince him erratically that his method is succesful and make him continue makin guse of torture, when there is another case.
Thank you for your comments my friend. You views on 'torture' are spot on ... Catherine, like everyone, can only take so much ...

Tom Shepherd’s calloused hands at her daughter’s hips, the dirty shift, threadbare shift hanging loose from her otherwise naked body and his groin thrusting into her.
Despite his pastoral name, Mr. Shepherd does not seem to be the benevolent, father figure that we know overseers always were. (Unless we have in mind certain sadistic, incestuous fathers!)
The sticks renewed their rhythmic tapping on the far end of the table.
An approach to Bastinado that I had never seen before. Fascinating!
but the rhythm went on relentlessly. Pitter-patter, pitter-patter, like wind driven raindrops on a windowpane he drummed out his twisted tune.
Union water torture
"Please, please stop. I will do anything you want, say anything you want … no more please, I beg you Sir." She groaned, desperate to feel relief from this perpetual torment and put a stop to the pain racking her body.
"For God's sake please … STOP!”
And it seems to work.

The great chapters keep coming!

Despite his pastoral name, Mr. Shepherd does not seem to be the benevolent, father figure that we know overseers always were. (Unless we have in mind certain sadistic, incestuous fathers!)

An approach to Bastinado that I had never seen before. Fascinating!

Union water torture

And it seems to work.

The great chapters keep coming!
Thank you PrPr my friend. I have to admit that I recalled seeing the bastinado delivered like this in a video from somewhere. I was struck by how much the anticipation during the pitter-patter was as agonising as the more powerful strikes.

Chapter 19 – The Upstairs Study at White Orchard Plantation, Around 7pm, May 11th 1864

The General was not aware of the actual time, but he was very conscious of what might well be happening in the block building.

He knew it would be fully equipped for handling ill-disciplined slaves and so he had pictured Catherine being bucked and gagged, or maybe hung by her thumbs or fastened to a cart wheel … any of the options quite frankly turned his stomach.

He knew they couldn’t flog her, that was too severe a punishment for a civilian whose guilt remained unproven, but his consternation was heightened when, in every one of his imaginings his young Goddaughter was naked!

He sighed, and once again paced to the window, but all he could see was the back few rows of the watching audience. How humiliated Catherine would be as they degraded her, making her submit in public … her naked body subjugated … STOP! Damn it!

Taking out his pocket watch Sherman saw that it was almost seven pm.

“They have had long enough with her,” he muttered to himself, I shall intervene.”

Making his way onto the upstairs landing the General was halted in his tracks by one of Sampson’s Bummers.

“General Sir, we have found this.”

“Can it wait soldier? I have other matters to attend to …”

The trooper held out his hand and in it was a scruffy, loose-leaf piece of paper upon which was drawn a large square with smaller squares inside it. Inside each square was a series of letters and numbers, which at first glance made no sense at all.

Sherman studied for a brief moment and then said, “Is that what I think it is Private?”

The soldier nodded and answered, “Yes, Gen’l, Sir. I believe it as a Goddamn cipher square.”

Sherman looked at the paper but his mind was already elsewhere.

“Coded messages Gen’l, the little bitch … I mean, Miss McCown, must have been colluding with the enemy Sir.”

The General felt sick. Had his worst fear just been realised? Was sweet little Catherine part of the Confederate intelligence network? His own Goddaughter a Rebel spy? They had no proof, not yet … but in his heart Sherman knew that the evidence against the girl was becoming ever more substantial.

The war could be brought to a close if the plan that he and Grant had hatched and agreed with Lincoln was implemented swiftly and successfully. Nothing could be allowed to detract from its execution, so this new evidence raised the stakes somewhat as far as Catherine was concerned. If she was indeed conspiring with those damn secessionists, he needed to know all about it.

He steeled himself … there was important work to be done, Goddaughter or no Goddaughter!

“Let me go please,” Catherine was still sobbing hard. A quick look around the room revealed just how many of these men, both soldier and slave found her submissive predicament to be more than a little stimulating.

"Ask us nicely Catherine," Sampson said, interrupting as her babbling threatened to get out of control.

"My feet ... they are numb with this awful treatment, please stop!"

"No, no. Ask us courteously Catherine. You know what to say. I'm a dirty little Rebel spy and I deserve to be punished ..." he prompted, as the sticks continued to beat out their rhythm.

"I'm ... I'm ..." she hesitated.

"Go on, tell us what you are Catherine. Tell us what you want us to do."

She flinched visibly as she sensed his hand draw back, and suddenly the words came pouring from her mouth in a torrent.

"I'm a dirty little R … Reb … Rebel Spy, and I deserve to be punished." This time there was an air of desperation in her trembling voice.

Suddenly the pitter-patter stopped. Catherine had fulfilled his prophecy and had submitted to the pleading she had been so determined to shun. It was time for the pain to stop ... Sampson was smiling at Sergeant Oak, as he nodded to the burley Irishman, who, in turn stood up and began to unlock the fetters around her ankles and wrists.

"Roll over Johnny Reb bitch," he ordered when she had been freed, “So that we can all see you properly.”

The poor girl groaned, and remained still. The sergeant, whose own breeches were tented by his erection, grabbed her hair and pulled her head savagely upwards. Catherine screamed.

“Did you hear me you Reb cunt, turn over!”

Resigned to obedience in fear of further torture, and with some difficulty on the relatively thin plank, she moved herself onto her back as ordered. All eyes immediately gazed attentively at her nudity. Her firm breasts, with hardened nipples, slender waist and smooth thighs with a tuft of dark hair at the apex of her virgin mound.

"Now, tell us Catherine. What is it that you have done, and who are you in cahoots with?”

The girl let her head rest back on the wood, her long hair falling to either side.

The Lieutenant grabbed her arm and pulled her off the wood. She automatically moved to put down her feet in order to stop her fall … and screamed. The pain in her legs was unbearable. Catherine shrieked as her knees buckled beneath her, and she slumped to the dusty floor in utter despair.

"What's the matter?" asked Sampson. He didn't sound too concerned.

"I can't stand. My feet, my legs, they hurt too much ..."

"Who told you to stand?" he said, "I'm sure I didn't. Filthy Rebel Spies can crawl on all fours just as easily." He reached down and patted her on the head before ordering Oak to put the collar back around her slender neck.

Smiling as he watched Catherine once more being collared, the Lieutenant then slipped the leash chain back into place.

“Now we can continue our conversation over here, once you and I have led the way through this crowd of people., all eager to see more of you ..." She sensed the smirk on his lips without having to look up.

Sampson jerked on her chain and Catherine began to crawl across the room on all fours. As she shuffled past him, Sergeant Oak reached down with one hand and squeezed her bottom, allowing his index finger to lazily slip between the dark crevice of her firm cheeks.

Catherine cried out, her humiliation heightened, but knew that she could nothing to stop this from happening. They had her naked and beaten, collared and leashed, at their whimsical, perverted beck and call.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Mercy … sweet, sweet Mercy, on the floor crying and that brute of an overseer standing over her. He had raped her, that much was obvious. Just the very sight of him, knowing how much he would be enjoying this spectacle, made her want to retch.

Lieutenant Sampson brought Catherine’s degrading journey through the crowd of people, many of whom were known to her, to a halt. Her feet were on fire, and it was a warped kind of blessing that she hadn’t been made to walk.

As the officer sat down, the tortured girl collapsed onto the floor before him, her naked body curled in to as small a ball as possible.

“So little rebel slut, what have you got to tell us?”

“Stop this right now.” Everyone looked up to see General Sherman in the entrance way holding the damning piece of paper in his hand, “We have further evidence to discuss.”

To Be Continued ...

Attachments

• Damning Evidence.jpeg
    Damning Evidence.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 100
  • On All Fours.jpeg
    On All Fours.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 128
Well, I always say that during the wars, women were the first victims ...
... but, we've two possibilities :
in first, if she's guilty, she can deserve this treatment, she was participing to the murder of soldiers ...
in second, if she's not guilty, are these Yankees able to do that ? Are tortures warrantable to know the truth ( if it is the truth that a victim tells ... or is she confessing to stop the pain ? ) ?
Anyway, at CF, we're demanding of these kind of situations, men to satisfy their pleasure to see a naked woman suffering, women taking their pleasure to be naked and tortured in front of them ...
So, let's go !
... and it's so much well written that we've no difficulty to imagine ...
:rolleyes:

PS : I noticed well, Fossy, the parallel between the rape of the slave and the Sheperd'wish concerning Catherine ... I think at least ...

Well, I always say that during the wars, women were the first victims ...
... but, we've two possibilities :
in first, if she's guilty, she can deserve this treatment, she was participing to the murder of soldiers ...
in second, if she's not guilty, are these Yankees able to do that ? Are tortures warrantable to know the truth ( if it is the truth that a victim tells ... or is she confessing to stop the pain ? ) ?
Anyway, at CF, we're demanding of these kind of situations, men to satisfy their pleasure to see a naked woman suffering, women taking their pleasure to be naked and tortured in front of them ...
So, let's go !
... and it's so much well written that we've no difficulty to imagine ...
:rolleyes:

PS : I noticed well, Fossy, the parallel between the rape of the slave and the Sheperd'wish concerning Catherine ... I think at least ...
Wonderful feedback my friend. Thank you. The torture has forced some kind of admission from Catherine, but how meaningful is it?

And yes the rape of Mercy was written to compound the growing sense of foreboding in the block surrounding Catherine's fate ...

The soldier nodded and answered, “Yes, Gen’l, Sir. I believe it as a Goddamn cipher square.”

Sherman looked at the paper but his mind was already elsewhere.

“Coded messages Gen’l, the little bitch … I mean, Miss McCown, must have been colluding with the enemy Sir.”
Or a solitary game, Catherine used to kill time.

One of the physical evidences against Mata Hari during her spying prosecution and trial, was a substance, the investigators thought was 'invisible ink', she used to communicate information to the Germans.
In fact, it was a contraceptive. But that explanation was outside of the biased views of the counter-intelligence investigators.

Or a solitary game, Catherine used to kill time.

One of the physical evidences against Mata Hari during her spying prosecution and trial, was a substance, the investigators thought was 'invisible ink', she used to communicate information to the Germans.
In fact, it was a contraceptive. But that explanation was outside of the biased views of the counter-intelligence investigators.
We will have to wait and see, though this find in addition to the notebook and buttons/coins does not bode well

Thanks for your ongoing support my friend.

We will have to wait and see, though this find in addition to the notebook and buttons/coins does not bode well

I was just thinking : with a ruthless and biassed prosecutor as Lieutenant Sampson and a troubled Judge as Uncle Bliiy, Catherine has right to an attorney, right?;)

They even have not read her rights (yes, once more a century too soon, I know!).:confused:

I was just thinking : with a ruthless and biassed prosecutor as Lieutenant Sampson and a troubled Judge as Uncle Bliiy, Catherine has right to an attorney, right?;)

They even have not read her rights (yes, once more a century too soon, I know!).:confused:
And to be honest Lox - in these times it was lucky to have any formality at all. I'm afraid if Catherine claims a false trial, then stoney ground will be the surfsce upon which those words fall ...

Chapter 20 – Trial in the Block Out-Building, Around 7:30pm, May 11th 1864

Silence fell. Sampson ceased his provocation and the slaves looked on open mouthed at the close proximity of Massa Sherman. The General knew that he couldn’t take Catherine to one side and have a private chat with her. This matter was already out in the open, and the success of his army might well depend on the authority he was able to command and the justice he could deliver at this very moment. But he could stop the spectacle.

“You private, get everyone out of here. This is a matter for the Lieutenant, Sergeant Oak and I.” His tone was assertive and the private jumped to it.

“Give her a good whuppin’ the uppity cunt!” It was Shepherd’s voice that could be heard above the general din as the block was quickly emptied.

Sherman regarded the poor girl on the floor. Was this really what his pretty, decorous Goddaughter had become?

“You hit her feet Lieutenant?” It was a question but it was very clearly rhetorical.

“Yes Sir. The Bastinado is one of the quickest methods to …”

“And did you discover anything new?” Sherman cut into his officer’s further words.

Lieutenant Sampson paused, then replied, “She admitted to being a Reb Spy Gen’l.”

Sherman nodded slowly, and said, “Well she would, wouldn’t she if you were hammering the soles of her feet. She would have admitted to anything.”

The small gathering went silent until once again the General, looking down upon the girl, spoke.

“Tell us what this piece of paper represents and why you have it, Catherine.” He waived the sheet before her eyes. “Catherine is this the codebreaker that you use to decode the messages in the notebook?”

She shook her head and continued to look at the floor. Sherman knelt to her level and looked at the dishevelled, shivering, beaten, and still very naked figure that was his Goddaughter.

“Fetch this girl a blanket.” The instruction was echoed out of the block until a soldier quickly returned with the requested cover.

Placing the tartan, wool blanket around her shoulders, Sherman slipped a finger gently under Catherine’s chin and tipped her head upwards to look at him.

“Please tell us what this is child,” he said quietly indicating the shapes and letters scribbled onto the page.

A shake of her head indicated the girl’s answer.

“You have no idea how serious this is Catherine. Espionage against the Federal Government is a crime punishable by death. You need to tell me now what this is.”

“It … it … looks like … j … just a g … game. Maybe the slaves … I … I … have n … never seen it before in my life. Y… your men, they are the most atrocious mon … monsters I have ever met, and they must be pl … planting all of these things just to g … get me to …”

“To get you to what Catherine?” Sherman pushed for a complete answer, not believing his Goddaughter’s assertions for one minute.

She had no more to say, and so the General Stood. They would need to formalise things as best they could. “Sergeant Oak, please make a record of the trial of Catherine McCown, at 7:45pm on this day, Wednesday the 11th May in the year of our Good lord, 1864.

Finding her voice Catherine glared at Sherman. “How dare you mention the Good Lord? He will judge you Uncle Billy and all of your degenerate soldiers …”

General Sherman had assumed a formal air and now sat down next to the Lieutenant on a chair that looked bizarrely ornate for the surroundings, while Oak chained Catherine’s neck collar to the floor, causing her to bow down low. The Sergeant then sat at the table ready to record proceedings.

Privates Blake and Hill, the ones who had discovered the coins and buttons in the Peach Grove, were also on hand to officiate if required.

“The accused will look up to receive her sentence.” Sampson opened events. A large fist gripped Catherine’s hair and twisted her to face the self-appointed judge and jury that the General and Sampson had become. Tears rimmed her eyes as she waited …

The Lieutenant continued his introductory words, in which he now seemed to be revelling.

“Catherine McCown you stand accused of being a traitor to the United States of America, keeping anarchical secrets, harbouring traitorous criminals and acting in an illegally dissenting manner. If your behaviour goes unchecked then it is certain to result in more of these misguided deeds,” he declared, baring his teeth, holding her frozen with his gaze, “… and you must be disciplined accordingly so that we can ascertain the truth.”

“Will you plead guilty to this atrocious act of subversion and sedition, Miss McCown?” The General had maintained his formal disposition, but was now attempting to put Catherine in a position where he could at least help her. If she admitted her guilt, he could call upon whatever precedents were available to have her life spared.

But the girl simply shook her head.

“For the love of God Catherine, help me to help you.”

But there was nothing.

“Catherine … please. Tell us what you know.”

Slowly she raised her gaze to look at her Godfather. “I. Have. Done. Nothing. Sir.”

Her words were individually enunciated, her sentiment clear, and momentarily Sherman was taken aback by the emotion with which her speech was infused. But then he turned to his Lieutenant and whispered into his ear.

The junior officer stood to address this small, hastily gathered kangaroo court, and spoke directly at the girl as he looked down upon her.

“Despite clear evidence to the contrary, Catherine McCown has failed to confess to being a Confederate Spy. It is of paramount importance that we are able to understand the items that have now being discovered inside White Orchard Mansion, and the potential nature of their implication and impact …” Sergeant Oak was scribbling away manfully, as the Lieutenant continued. “… Accepting that, until she is proven guilty, we cannot execute her, I therefore sentence this girl to the highest other measure of corporal punishment possible under Federal law. For her punishment, and so that we can find out the truth of this very serious matter, she will be flogged …”

Catherine began to swoon, suddenly feeling dizzy.

“… She shall be continuously whipped in rounds of twelve strokes. Following each round, she will be interrogated for information. This will continue until we have the answers we seek or until the presiding General, Major-General William Sherman, calls a halt.”

At the end of this pronouncement, Catherine felt her entire body go rigid with fear. She trembled visibly, aghast, her mouth open, her eyes wide as she tried to take in the words. She could hardly believe this man had been referring to her as he spoke.

Tears of fright streamed down Catherine’s face as she listened to the General, her Godfather, speak … and with every word he increased the burden of her punishment.

“Miss McCown will receive twenty-five lashes for her first round of whipping, twelve in each round thereafter. To maximize the overall number of strokes possible, the lashes will be applied not only across the bare back but spread across her entire body from her shoulders to her ankles ...”

Catherine’s sobs turned into louder crying as she absorbed what had been said. She was to be strung up and whipped in a more brutal way than anything she could have ever witnessed or even dreamed of before. And what Uncle Billy had said about her entire body meant that she would be totally bare! At least they would spare her breasts and down below, between her thighs … wouldn’t they?

“Oh God help me,” Catherine whispered to the Almighty.

“Even He can’t help you now you fucking Reb cunt,” Private Samuel Hill whispered into her ear as he leaned into her.

“Lieutenant, you will organise the flogging to commence at 7:30 am precisely tomorrow morning. You will assemble the entire estate once again to witness the event …”

Did Uncle Billy really just call her impending flogging an ‘event’? Catherine was beside herself. She had never felt so lonely, so vulnerable and exposed in her young life as she did right now.

Her tortured feet cried out for attention, but she guessed they would receive none. ‘Uncle Billy’ continued to speak, and every one of his words was a stake through her heart.

“You, Mister Sampson, have the privilege of administering the flogging of this girl. You have full discretion as to the whips, from this fine collection hereabouts, you deem it necessary to use on her, but make no mistake, I want answers.” Sherman seemed to have disavowed all previous relationships with his Goddaughter in favour of the matter at hand.

Cowering, Catherine clenched her uncovered thighs together to contain something of the fear overpowering her and filling her bladder. She fumed as Sergeant Oak’s gaze raked over her bared, shaking body with a clear hunger fuelled only by his debauched lust.

“It will be my pleasure, General ...” Sampson responded with gleeful relish.

Catherine peered at the brute through the narrow slits of her tear-soaked eyes, and breathed in a hoarse whisper, “... Pl … please, have … mercy …”

The Lieutenant gave no answer to her imploring words, and Catherine saw a chilling smile grow upon his face.

She struggled to pull away as Sampson moved from his chair and knelt by her side, slowly sliding his fingers in light caress down one dampened cheek ... his touch felt like the searing tip of a white-hot branding iron.

“As always, when the whips threaten such beauty, bravery and daring vanish very fast.” Looking to his troopers, her newly appointed punisher issued an order.

“Take her to the slave pens and secure her there for the night.”

As if waking from a long, drugged sleep, Catherine opened her eyes and shook her head in denial of his latest instruction.

Taking deep, staggering breaths, she attempted to stabilise her legs so that she could at least walk. Private Blake unfastened the leash from the floor ring and pulled upwards. Stumbling after him on her broken feet, the blanket slipping from her shoulders, Catherine was taken away.

To Be Continued ...

Footnote - The Daguerreotype of Catherine has been attached as a reminder of the serene, privileged life from which the beautiful girl came. Its inclusion here serves to highlight how unbearable she would be finding her current awful predicament. It was taking during August of 1863 at the newly opened studios of C R Moffat, an early daguerreotypist from Danville, Missouri.

Attachments

• Catherine McCown August 1863.jpeg
    Catherine McCown August 1863.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Proceedings.jpeg
    Proceedings.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 99
... Catherine peered at the brute through the narrow slits of her tear-soaked eyes, and breathed in a hoarse whisper, “... Pl … please, have … mercy …”

But, in fact, has she been full of empathy when she was viewing a whipped slave in the plantation during the precedent years ?
I think no ; see the slaves'back and tell me if none of them have these deep strikes given by the cruel bullwhip ?

living_hist_pic1.jpg
When her body will be twisting under the whip, perhaps that she'll understand what is the slave'status ...
Being a woman, I could be wishing to wear these kinds of clothes that she had, but not in being an accomplice of the murder of some soldiers , even if they're shown like ennemies ...

Attachments

• cf6a9001509c3eb77a8ea3d144445b98.jpg
    cf6a9001509c3eb77a8ea3d144445b98.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 70
But, in fact, has she been full of empathy when she was viewing a whipped slave in the plantation during the precedent years ?
I think no ; see the slaves'back and tell me if none of them have these deep strikes given by the cruel bullwhip ?

View attachment 865177
When her body will be twisting under the whip, perhaps that she'll understand what is the slave'status ...
Being a woman, I could be wishing to wear these kinds of clothes that she had, but not in being an accomplice of the murder of some soldiers , even if they're shown like ennemies ...
Hey Messy my friend. I think that the White Orchard slaves would have suffered like any other slaves, and yes, several dusky backs would be rutted with healed scars bearing testimony to that. However, the block and the whipping posts would have been some distance from the main house, and certainly not within proximty of any cries of the victim's agony. The overseers and Catherine's papa, before he left for the war, would have administered flogging and bastinado as a part of their own regime of so-called justice. Catherine however would have been far removed from that aspect of plantation life ... out-of-sight-out-of-mind ...

Since Catherine has been alone as Mistress of White Orchard, it has been the war years supported by the emancipation proclamation, and so Catherine has not had the desire nor the need to inflict such damage to her slaves. In fact she has been proactive in attempting to create a more communal atmosphere all round, which is most likely why at least some of the slaves stayed with her, and in part why Tom Shepherd hates her so much.

But you are correct in your statement that the predicament she finds herself now in is, awfully and totally, alien to her. She has no idea what to do, how to prepare herself, or the condition she will be left in afterwards ... or even if she will still be alive.

Was she an accomplice in the murder of Union Soldiers? That is a point which still needs to be determined ...

(Translation)

Salut mon ami. Je pense que les esclaves de White Orchard auraient souffert comme tous les autres esclaves, et oui, plusieurs dos sombres seraient défoncés avec des cicatrices guéries en témoignant. Cependant, le bloc et les poteaux à fouetter auraient été à une certaine distance de la maison principale, et certainement pas à proximité des cris de l'agonie de la victime. Les surveillants et le papa de Catherine, avant son départ pour la guerre, auraient administré la flagellation et le bastinado dans le cadre de leur propre régime de soi-disant justice. Catherine aurait cependant été loin de cet aspect de la vie des plantations ... à l'abri des regards ...

Depuis que Catherine a été seule en tant que maîtresse du verger blanc, ce sont les années de guerre soutenues par la proclamation d'émancipation, et donc Catherine n'a pas eu le désir ni la nécessité d'infliger de tels dommages à ses esclaves. En fait, elle a été proactive en essayant de créer une atmosphère plus communautaire tout autour, ce qui est probablement la raison pour laquelle au moins certains des esclaves sont restés avec elle, et en partie pourquoi Tom Shepherd la déteste tant.

Mais vous avez raison dans votre déclaration selon laquelle la situation dans laquelle elle se trouve maintenant lui est terriblement et totalement étrangère. Elle n'a aucune idée de ce qu'il faut faire, comment se préparer, ou de l'état dans lequel elle sera laissée après ... ou même si elle sera toujours en vie.

Était-elle complice du meurtre de soldats de l'Union? C'est un point qui reste à déterminer ...

... However, the block and the whipping posts would have been some distance from the main house, and certainly not within proximty of any cries of the victim's agony...
I doubt that she couldn't hear the cries : a man (or woman) crying is certainly hearing to one KM (at least !) and I dont think that the slaves'village was at such a distance of the main house ... And concerning the strikes, I suppose that, from time to time, she was walking here and there into the coton'fields and that she could see them on the slaves'back ... She couldn't ignore the real slaves'treatments ...
No, in this story, nobody is innocent, as the Yankees than Catherine ...
... and when it's concerning the continuity of a system, men,perhaps even more women, are able of the worst !

I doubt that she couldn't hear the cries : a man (or woman) crying is certainly hearing to one KM (at least !) and I dont think that the slaves'village was at such a distance of the main house ... And concerning the strikes, I suppose that, from time to time, she was walking here and there into the coton'fields and that she could see them on the slaves'back ... She couldn't ignore the real slaves'treatments ...
No, in this story, nobody is innocent, as the Yankees than Catherine ...
... and when it's concerning the continuity of a system, men,perhaps even more women, are able of the worst !
You are of course correct Messy. Catherine would certainly have enough awareness of the terror and agony that such a flogging held. More than enough knowledge to anticipate with fear her own proposed sentence/punishment/justice.

Like you say my friend ... "Who are the innocents in this story?"

Back
Top Bottom