The Last Warrior In Your Last Moment

Go to CruxDreams.com
That last one, you don't notice you're in trouble until it's too late

knight_moves_by_rgus_d31h45p-fullview.jpgchampion_of_capue_by_lezardfougueux_dam3coz.jpgbodyguard__by_vscan_d69gqug.jpgsword_by_paultheslayer_d6s4zbl.jpgred_by_paultheslayer_d6r6ctl.jpg

Whoever drew the Nubian and Egyptian did a wonderful job, stunning ladies.

And that particular helmet the "Spartan" is carrying is known a "Corinthian " style and it was very popular all over Greece. Having worn one it does give a sense your head is protected but you peripheral vison is now useless. I guess that made sense in a phalanx style of combat but personally I take seeing what is coming at me from the sides. And the Spartans always word "red" into combat.

kisses

willowfall

Whoever drew the Nubian and Egyptian did a wonderful job, stunning ladies.

And that particular helmet the "Spartan" is carrying is known a "Corinthian " style and it was very popular all over Greece. Having worn one it does give a sense your head is protected but you peripheral vison is now useless. I guess that made sense in a phalanx style of combat but personally I take seeing what is coming at me from the sides. And the Spartans always word "red" into combat.

kisses

willowfall
The Corinthian helmet was commonly worn tipped up on top of the head so as not to impede sight and hearing. It was only worn down in combat with friends to right and left, so the lack of peripheral vision was not important.

Italians (including Romans) liked the style and made variants that could not be pulled down over the face! The slits for eyes and mouth were purely decorative.

Anyway due to my almost complete lack of classical education I wasn't aware of this bit, ... which would be quite fitting for the page if more dangerous weapons were substituted for the sticks & stones

Herodotus mentions the Corinthian helmet in his Histories when writing of the Machlyes and Auseans, two tribes living along the River Triton in ancient Libya (the portion of ancient Libya he describes is most likely in modern Tunisia). The tribes chose annually two teams of the fairest maidens who fought each other with sticks and stones. They chose the fairest maiden who was dressed in Greek panoply with a Corinthian helmet. The ritual fight was part of a festival honoring the virgin goddess Athena.
defeated_by_charmeurindien_dbkxy9z.jpg
Is red toenail polish the new "in" thing for victorious amazons? You'd think it would get all scuffed up in battle.
Eh it is just cultural sublimation of an originally lethal practice, into symbolic ceremony.

So were once blood would be drawn, and flow ever more copiously ... now it's just symbolized by setting a red-marked foot on the body of the submissive...

In the bloodthirsty fights of old, she would be proudly claiming the 'kill' for herself, letting herself be seen by all as the triumphant.
But here she obscures and turns away her face, because it's not about her as an inidividual, but ritually impersonating the idea of the victorious Amazon.

Now that may sound a bit disappointing ... but it's why her tribe is still around after all those millennia.
The others who kept up the bloodsport quickly ran into problems with staying above the replacement rate...

Back
Top Bottom