The Philosophers

Go to CruxDreams.com
Definitely something, post-WW2 Arab nationalist leaders in tthe Middle East can only dream off.
Don't my people deserve a little bit of that? After what the Romans did to us?-Stan Goldman
Marry a good wife, or, why not, buy a good slave girl to take care of all my needs (with the promise of a prospect for getting freed)
I don't suppose both would work out very well...
Aurelian quickly advanced across Palmyra’s Asia Minor territories.
A couple of HIMARS would have turned the tide!

Interesting story!

IV.

Here is an ironic detail : the crosses we have been nailed to, have not been erected by the Romans. They have been put here, months ago, on instigation from… the Council of Philosophers. In other words, by us! When Aurelian’s invasion became to appear a serious threat, exceptional measures imposed. Spies, traitors, people disloyal to the queen were all around, and security demanded that they would not only be taken captive, but for good measure, also get ‘terminated with extreme prejudice’. Special security courts were installed and, also for good measure, to make deterrence as effective as possible, it was decided by us, the Council of Philosophers, that for the most severe cases, a harsh and demeaning method of public execution was recommended.

The first crucifixion were three condemned, and it was the talk of the town. Next were six, next were twelve, next were twenty,… and the people got used to it. The closer Aurelian came, the more suspects were rounded up. We increased the level of deterrence by also crucifying the wives of the condemned traitors… Courts were specifically instigated (for not to say ‘ordered’) to speak the verdict of crucifixion on Roman citizens residing or present in Palmyra, found guilty of crimes against the security of our empire. Roman law did exempt its citizens from crucifixion. By having them crucified, we made clear to all residing Roman citizens, and to the population of Palmyra, that this was not Rome, but a sovereign empire, and that the Roman laws protecting Roman citizens, were not in force here!

No avail, of course, crucifying traitors did not stop Aurelian’s advance, as some of us had silently hoped it would. Concerning myself, I have always been in support of the measures, and I have approved every single execution, as a necessary measure to protect the sovereignty of the empire.

What did Queen Zenobia think of it? After we had decided to implement the measure, it had been Cassius Longinus again to bring it up personally to her. She never has spoken a firm approval, but neither had she formally opposed it! There has been one moment, when five members of the Council and some of their relatives had fallen into disgrace, for opposing the further continuation of the war. Some of them were executed on the cross too. According to Cassius Longinus, the queen herself had personally insisted on that execution. We have always considered this act from Zenobia as a silent approval of our approach, from her side.

Of course, we had one final argument to proceed with crucifixions : the Romans did it too. In the cities they had captured from us, they systematically crucified local rulers, administrators and counselors that had supported the queen – a practice they had already applied when Aurelian had recaptured Gaul.

Meanwhile, Aurelian had reached Antioch. Queen Zenobia went to war and awaited him there, at the head of her army. Aurelian first made her an offer to surrender. The queen’s bold reply had become iconic :

“From Zenobia, Queen of the East, to Aurelian Augustus… You request my surrender, as if you ignore that Cleopatra preferred to die as a queen, rather than staying alive, regardless of her rank!”

That reference to Cleopatra was typical for her. Zenobia liked to compare herself to that illustrious Egyptian queen. She even had spread the rumour that she was a descendant from Cleopatra. Intra muros, this claim was disputed. Right, she came from a noble Palmyrene family, and her father, Antiochus, did had a high rank in the city, but nothing pointed to a bloodline descending from Cleopatra.

What followed after Zenobia’s refusal to surrender, were confusing reports from military actions around Antioch. A victory report came in, that emperor Aurelian had been captured and paraded in the streets of Antioch. It turned out to be a hoax to destabilase the morale of the Roman legions, since the ‘captured emperor’ had been a lookalike of Aurelian. In fact, the Battle of Immae had been a disaster, after General Zabdas gave away a possible victory, by becoming too greedy. His stronger cavalry ran into a trap set by Aurelian’s horsemen. Soon, Antioch fell, and the queen and her troops retreated to Emesa. From Antioch, new accounts of crucifixions reached us soon. There were men on the list, we had known personally.

The retreat to Emesa was part of a strategic plan to lure Aurelian’s army into the desert, to fatigue them. As a plan B, the option had been raised to negotiate for help from the Persians, taking the Roman legions from two sides. But surprisingly, the Romans adapted well to the desert conditions, supported by nomad tribes who helped them with their water and food supply, and who raided our own supply trains and our troops. Both armies faced again, in the Battle of Emesa. Zabdas, clearly misjudging the flexible maneuverability and the discipline of Aurelian’s legions, stupidly made the same mistake during that battle as he had done at Immae! Emesa was taken, and the Queen fled with the remainder of her army to Palmyra. Soon, we found ourselves in a besieged city.

Palmyra held at first, but food supplies became a problem for a city that always had relied on transport, since neither the soil nor the climate in its desert surroundings were appropriate for large scale agriculture. When Queen Zenobia made a desperate attempt to break out to call for help from Persia, she was taken captive. Ultimately, we proposed to negotiate in her name a surrender. She still refused. Finally, some citizens had her brought her, through a negotiator, a message, that they intended to surrender the city themselves. So, Zenobia changed her mind, made an agreement with Aurelian and ordered Palmyra to capitulate.

The gates were opened, and the Romans marched in. All we could do now, was wait, in fear, to what would happen. We, from the Council of Philosophers, knew what fate awaited us. During the siege, the word ‘suicide’ had fallen: cutting our wrists as a honourable opt out. In the weeks before, the option had been offered by us either, to people fallen into disgrace. Some had accepted the offer, others did not have the guts. When the latter had been crucified, we had mocked them on their crosses for their cowardice!

When the Romans took the city, none of us from the Council slit his wrists. We tried to hide in the population, or ultimately flee Palmyra. But the population meanwhile had hated us so much, that they denunciated us, or that we even choose the safety of capture by the Romans over being lynched by the mob.

We, the whole Council of Philosophers, was put on trial, a session that took about two hours, and we were condemned to death on the cross… Immediate execution! It all happened just a half day ago.

Of course, when the Romans put us on trial, none of us could still claim the protection from crucifixion as ‘Roman citizens’. Although they considered us as ‘rebels’ and ‘traitors’ in a Roman province, and not as residents of a conquered country, we had squandered all our rights as Roman citizens.

What had made us stay, when it had become clear that Aurelian was marching to Palmyra? Between the news of the defeat of our army at Emesa, and the beginning of the siege, it had taken almost two weeks. Ample time to flee the city. After all, since the defeat at Antioch, our influence on Queen Zenobia had practically faded away. She was more relying on her generals.

But we had stayed in Palmyra and had ourselves captured, well aware of the doom that awaited us?

(to be continued)

Here is an ironic detail : the crosses we have been nailed to, have not been erected by the Romans. They have been put here, months ago, on instigation from… the Council of Philosophers. In other words, by us!
That qualifies for an “ooops award! :rolleyes:

Another great chapter!

V.

There is a strange calm over the nighty city. In this green space with palm trees, where the crosses are planted, near the main colonnade, there is usually more bustle. Not surprising, this is a city that just has been captured, a few days ago, by an enemy army, so, people mostly stay inside. It could have been worse. There has been no loot, murder or rape. Queen Zenobia had negotiated a surrender, Aurelian had promised not to sack Palmyra. He has kept word. Of course, the emperor has imposed a ransom to be paid by the city. And he has confiscated goods of administrators from the old regime, like ours, and he has ordered executions of these administrators, starting with all twelve members of the Council of Philosophers, the former Queen Zenobia’s advisers.

But the fates can be different. General Zabdas, whose incompetence has drawn the Palmyrene army into two defeats, had also been captured, and condemned to death. But Aurelian had granted him the honours of a military man. Zabdas would not die in humiliation on the cross, he was beheaded.

I notice that it has been ‘ideal crucifixion weather’ today, as I used to say, with irony, in the times when the Council ordered itself crucifixions. During the day, it was warm and rarely humid, but the sun was largely hidden behind a haze of high clouds. Now that the dark has fallen, the humidity and the haze prevent the air from cooling. It has barely cooled down since sunset. So, ironically, I got crucified myself on such a day with ideal crucifixion weather.

The word ‘irony’ seems to go through my head more than once! Very ironically, considering my perilous situation! Name it coincidences, if you like! Anyway, my whole life seems to have been an array of ironic coincidences, and they all seem to come together in my last hours.

It is early September. This evening ends the very day that will go into history as the day that the famous philosopher Cassius Longinus has been executed. About sixty years old, a bit younger than me, he meets his end by the most humiliating and cruel way of execution, the usual sentence for slaves, rapists, murderers and other villain criminals. What a downfall for a man with such a worldwide reputation! He was called ‘a living library’, or ‘a walking museum!’. Honoured and praised, criticized too, of course, but rarely repudiated. Yes, he was hated, by those established elites who hated his ardent love of liberty and his frankness of expressing his own opinions and by those whose the faults and errors he exposed in his writings! He was a master in debate, a beacon of knowledge and wisdom, esteemed author of numerous powerful treatises, the most famous teacher in philosophy of his time, for whom numerous pupils have traveled to Athens. He was even known by common people, because of his sometimes razor sharp, but eloquent critics on the emperors, the way they (mis)governed Rome, and on the governance system itself! These opinions always instigated to discussion, but whether you were in support or against his opinions, no one denied the power of the way he judged things.

How could a critic of rulers become a counselor of a ruler himself? The answer lays in the writings of the great Plato, whom he admired so much. Cassius Longinus criticized rulers, because they failed to comply with the standards, Plato had set in his masterpiece ‘The Republic’. “As long as either philosophers are not kings in their country, or those who now bear the title of kings or rulers are not genuine and full-fledged philosophers, as long as political power does not coincide with philosophy in one and the same person; and as long as the way of the manifold natures who now pursue one of the two without the other, is not forcibly barred, until then, cities will never have rest from their evils,—no, nor the human race, as I believe,—and then only will this our State have a possibility of life and behold the light of day.”

Cassius Longinus’ disdain and critics on rulers, originated from the fact that they absolutely did not match Plato’s ideal of the philosopher-king, which was also his own ideal. When he became the teacher of queen Zenobia, he must have spotted out her the ambition to pursue that ideal. He was no king, and she was no philosopher, but both must have felt that, by cooperating, they could achieve the ideal of the philosopher-king/queen as close as possible!

Now, there he hangs, naked, nailed to cross, exposed to all, slowly dying. Just some ten feet away, and a bit forward of me, on the first row of six crosses. The living library is slowly fading away. The walking museum has already started to burn down.

Of course, since history is always written by the victors, Cassius Longinus’ demeaning fate will be justified in history books, for his evil role in a violent rebellion against Rome. As an adviser of a regime that wrongfully subjected tens of cities to its terror, and that did not eschew to make deals with Persia, the historical enemy of Rome. He was an accomplice to a conspiracy that threatened civilization and justice, that would deprive ten thousands of Roman citizens from their rights and liberties, and that, by means of the very council he presided, was responsible for numerous arbitrary arrests, executions and, even worse, crucifixions. He had turned to the dark side, but thanks to the Great Emperor Aurelian Augustus, the evil has been slain, and Cassius Longinus and his treacherous accomplices got what they deserved! And most probably, his part in the rebellion would be linked to his earlier bold criticism on the Roman institutions, the undeniable proof that he had always attempted to conspire.

It is remarkable that even the young legionnaire from Burdigalia, who calls us all ‘old men’, knows who he is. The soldier has gathered a few comrades from the guard, and presents Cassius Longinus to them, as a sort of trophy he is proud of!

“We have studied some of his writings at school, in Burdigalia! Didn’t you either!?”

“Oh yes! Now I remember! Is that really him!?”

“Sure he is!”

Now, I bet one thing: that even in his state of degrading agony, Cassius Longinus is no doubt flattered by the attention he gets from these young legionnaires, who have learned about his works. I can see it on the faint motions of his body. I know him too much, to ignore these signals!

In fact, being a scholar and an erudite person is one thing. It needs more to become an esteemed philosopher, teacher, and adviser to a queen, like he was. That needs special character treats! The will and power to impose oneself, to dominate! A character that sometimes brings about some strange twists in the mind! Cassius Longinus was aware of his social position, and he enjoyed it! He liked the attention he got in Athens! He was a public figure, there! Cassius Longinus was always open for a good debate, but of course, anyone who debated him, had to acknowledge that he was the philosopher who knew and understood Plato the best! That he had the best and most accurate vision on Plato’s ideas, particularly about the essentials of the Good, the Truth and the Beauty.

Irony (again!) : these legionnaires are unaware of the fact that they are giving him the greatest honour he could receive even in these circumstances! Even while he is naked, humiliated, treated like a criminal, stripped of all dignity!

(to be continued)

Of course, since history is always written by the victors, Cassius Longinus’ demeaning fate will be justified in history books,
Yep

Irony (again!) : these legionnaires are unaware of the fact that they are giving him the greatest honour he could receive even in these circumstances!

Irony in the Iron Age. Great stuff, Lox! :popcorn:

VI.

Perhaps, there was one philosopher that Cassius Longinus esteemed even higher than Plato : Socrates. One of his favourite works of Plato, was the ‘Apology of Socrates’, the account of the trial of Socrates. Cassius Longinus was well aware of the sometimes controversial social-political position he took himself, particularly towards the emperors and their governance, and about his own atheism and republicanism. Therefore, he was convinced that, sooner or later, he would meet the same fate as Socrates : being tried for his opinions and getting condemned to death. Anticipating on such a hypothetical trial, he studied Socrates’ defence strategy and pleas in court. When I reminded him, that Socrates’ pleas for his defence had been deliberately provocative and irreverent. He thereby angered many jurors, resulting into a majority of the jurors voting for a death sentence. Cassius Longinus replied with something like ‘so, what?’. Socrates, he pointed out, would not have been Socrates anymore, if he had humbly and obediently admitted his guilt and told the court and the jurors what they had wanted to hear! That would have been a severe turn-off, it would have tarnished his reputation, and degraded everything, his life, his work, and his philosophy had stood for! Consequently, facing his judges and jurors, Socrates was Socrates in every inch! Cassius Longinus often reminded us that, after his conviction, Socrates had refused the proposal of some friends to rescue him from the Athens justice. Although convinced that he was right and the court was wrong, Socrates accepted his verdict and took the poison!

No coincidence, probably, the last weeks, when the Romans had started their invasion of the Palmyrene Empire, the ‘Apology’ was brought up frequently in our discussions in the Council!

Cassius Longinus got it right about his fate! He was tried and condemned to death! He and the eleven other members of the Council of Philosophers! He was of course not given the ample time to defend himself in court, as Socrates had been given! It was a brief trial, the previous morning, during which no one took notice in the courtroom. There were no jurors, the judges were Roman army officers! The verdict was already decided in advance! Yet, Cassius Longinus still made an attempt, accusing the judges that they acted as puppets on behalf of a tyrant emperor, and that history would judge correctly about the events. Twelve condemnations to death on the cross, in public, were spoken.

The sentence was carried out a few hours later. Stripped of dignity, only clad in a loincloth, we were marched to the execution site. Overwhelmed by fear, with the burden of a crossbeam in our neck, hurdled like cattle, mocked by an angry mob. The same as had happened to the many people, our Council had doomed to the cross, during the last months. All the way, I had tried to switch off my mind and not to think about what was happening to me, and even worse, what awaited me. Desperately trying to hide my shame and the despair to the onlookers, the legionnaires and the other condemned. But Cassius Longinus took a strange attitude of firmness, almost cheerfulness, before and during our parade.

Somehow, this was his ‘Socrates moment’. In Cassius Longinus’ mind, getting convicted and executed was the best proof for getting remembered by posteriority as a free and independent philosophical spirit!

(on the occasion, I asked him if he intended to become a martyr, he denied, and said he was acting so, because he knew he was right)

The question was of course, whether his legacy of fame during lifetime and numerous praised writings would be able to overcome the grounds of his execution, his ultimate surrender to serve an authoritarian ruler, and the official propaganda about his role in the conflict.

Anyway, his ‘Socrates moment’ attitude, gave all of us a bit of moral strength too. After all, we were all philosophers, and there was somewhere a ‘Socrates’ inside our mind too. Which philosopher has never dreamed to become like Socrates or Plato? And Socrates’ attitude in court had always been held as a role model for us. Should not we have to be proud to be executed next to a famous man like Cassius Longinus?

Just before our preparation of our march to the crosses started, Cassius Longinus held a last speech.

“I don’t have to remind all of you, that they will not just execute us, and submit us to the terrible torture of the cross, but they will also do everything to humiliate us to the core of our bones! It will be hard by all means! They will literally hammer the shit out of our miserable bodies! They will take away all the dignity they can take away from us! Prepare for that! With that prospect, it is absolutely human, and no shame to submit to it! Don’t be ashamed if you shout of pain, cry, whine, show your suffering! Just don’t do one thing ! Never beg for mercy! Do not give away that last control of dignity that will be left to you! And if you fear you will surrender to that ultimate begging, then think of Socrates!”

Of course, Cassius Longinus, and all of us, have screamed and squirmed, when our wrists and feet were brutally nailed to the wood! On one hand, I can imagine that Socrates was neither killed instantly, after drinking the poisonous infusion of wild hemlock! Poisoning does not work like that! I assume he must have gone through minutes of painful agony, a burning stomach, cruel convulsions, spasms and cramps! The despair of dying and knowing you are! Regrets, perhaps, for not having accepted the proposal for rescue, or for having been so challenging in the courtroom after all?

On the cross, it is the same! It only takes much longer!

(to be continued)

VII

On the population of Palmyra, we did not have to count on for support. The ‘Empire of the East’ had never been rooted in a popular movement. It had been designed in the close quarters of Queen Zenobia’s palace! Zenobia had never been acclaimed enthusiastically for it. Rather, we conceived an intellectual elite project, that hardly bothered about the population’s opinion. According to Plato, the philosopher-king knew best what was good for them, so the people was not supposed to have an opinion at all! We had all the time lived and worked in the queen’s inner circle, and assumed that the population would follow and enjoy the benefits of our policy. As long as things appeared to go well, the population seemed satisfied indeed. But when war had broken out, battle losses were suffered and Palmyra got besieged, many minds had changed, and their anger had turned against us, rather than against Zenobia, who still got some respect. We, from the Council, like Cassius Longinus, often strangers to the land, were blamed with the calamity that had overcome Palmyra.

Some tens of people had gathered around the crucifixion site, and they enjoyed our torment and humiliation, cheering when we got stripped naked, nailed, and finally were hanging up. The turmoil of mocking and taunting lasted about an hour, while we could do nothing, being overwhelmed by the pain torture and exposure we got in. The Roman guards kept meanwhile order, ensuring (irony again!) our security against the mob. Orders from Aurelian to keep us alive as long as possible, as an example to deter others from rebelling against Rome!

Some two hours after our execution, a platoon of legionnaires marched in front of our crosses. They started to push back the onlookers, still some two hundred, and they made a corridor across the crowd. In the back of the square, the same happened. When the corridor was open, lined by legionnaires, some dignitaries approached. To our surprise, Zenobia was there. She made her first public appearance since the capitulation (there had been rumours she had committed suicide). She was accompanied by Aurelian, and several general officers. Their appearance silenced the crowd. With our nudity and state of torment exposed to Zenobia and the emperor, we suddenly tried to hide our fears and pain, and take a sturdy attitude!

Zenobia looked gorgeous as usual. Dressed and made up, in one of her expensive dresses and cape, as she used to be during audiences or other public appearances. Fully clad with jewels, including her eagle ornamented tiara. Only when she came nearer it became clear that the gold bracelets around her wrists were the manacles of a golden chain, that nevertheless left her arms much liberty in motion. Also, the holder of the dagger she used to wear, was empty. Otherwise, nothing on her betrayed she was a defeated monarch and a prisoner of Aurelian.

Head up, she stepped forward. For about a minute, her eyes, dark drowning pools and sources of lighting at the same, scrutinized us one by one, and her look fell on us as a stroke of a whip. Our attempted resilience crumbled into embarrassment, with nothing to hide of our exposure in that squatting position… There was no resistance possible against her demeaning, ridiculing look.

Then, Aurelian spoke :

“I have brought Queen Zenobia to trial! In court, she has strongly pleaded her innocence! She has made a convincing statement, that the rebellion, and its reprehensible crimes against humanity, have been conspired by vicious people, men of low valour and morality, who have taken profit of her simple womanhood! Lewd men, who have seduced her, and threatened her with abuse, and have exploited her goodness and good intentions! In court, she has willingly produced the names of these vile, opportunistic, power hungry conspirators, who are responsible for all the crimes committed in her name! She has called especially your names! The Council of so-called ‘philosophers’! Guided by a man, who thought that his fame and reputation would put him above the law! A fame, actually based on spitting hollow phrases of false information, on cheap critics by a complacent, self-declared elite, living dilettanty in a cloud of privileges, uttering critics intended to viciously undermine stability, security and social order of our great Roman society, just for the benefit of his own perceived intellectual superiority! Queen Zenobia has made clear to the court, that first of all, your malicious advises to her have caused this crisis, that could well have been avoided! Therefore, let no one think that, with your execution today, a great philosopher will be gone! What matters now is no longer your former status, reputation or perceived intellect! Just the demeaning way you are executed here, in the most dishonourable way, the cross, naked, in front of the crowd! Soon, the world will be aware of your real lewd character, and soon, you will be completely cancelled and forgotten, and erased from the memory of history!”

Then he turned to the rest of us :

“The same for all the rest of you villains! Just look around and see dishonour, humiliation, bodily ugliness and impotence! Watch the other condemned and realize, it is yourself that you are watching! Fallen down to where you belong! Ultimately, a bunch of cowards, too scared for the honour of taking your own life, when your wicked game was over! Well, these are the consequences, you own them all to your own! Think, in the little time that is still left, that you deserve all of it, every minute of pain and humiliation, and that the only use your miserable lives still has left, is that of an example, that it is better to be humble and loyal to Rome, than being an educated traitor!”

He stepped back, while ordering one of the officers : “Remember! Keep them alive as long as possible!”

Next, Zenobia spoke :

“As you know, I have closed with emperor Aurelian a fair capitulation! A very fair one! Emperor Aurelian has agreed to spare our city! He will respect the holy places! He only demands a rightful ransom! After all, he has also committed himself to protect the border with Persia! As part of that, all your properties and possessions will be confiscated. However, Emperor Aurelian has promised to keep your relatives alive and to protect them! They are currently underway to the port of Tyre, from where they will be shipped to Athens. Your male relatives will receive a good education to become decent citizens of Rome, and they will be invited to serve the emperor, by joining his legions! Your female relatives will be married to man of valour, who will take care of them, and assure, they will not have short of anything!”

She briefly paused.

“Concerning myself, I have formally abdicated! Me and my son will soon accompany the Emperor to Rome! I have engaged myself to no longer aspire a throne! Emperor Aurelian has promised to take care of our future in Rome too!”

She threw one last cursing, demeaning look at us.

“And the Emperor is right! I you don’t have the guts to cut your wrists, the die in impotence and dishonour!”

Then she ostentatiously turned her back to us and walked back to join the emperor. She was escorted away from the place by Roman officers.

Aurelian also threw a last look on us, and before leaving, he said :

“And concerning you, traitors, your bodies will be burned and your ashes will be spread in the desert, leaving no more material trace of your miserable existence!”

I am sure, that Zenobia’s blamings must have left Cassius Longinus with the very worst moments of his live, even worse than the public humiliation of his crucifixion properly! She must have hit his pride and narcissism very deeply!

The crowd sensed our humiliation and started mocking and jeering again.

When it became calmer again, and parts of the onlookers had dispersed, we tried to comfort ourselves;

“Probably she said these things on order by Aurelian!”

“What is he going to do with her in Rome?”

“She is a war prize! She will have to march next to his chariot in his victory parade!”

“Yeah, but she will not be so elaborately clad as she was now!” (laughter).

“The dress code for captives in a victory parade, is a tiny loincloth!” (laughter).

“By Jupiter, I wish I could be there!”

“I hope she reads the fine print of the capitulation act! I would not trust Aurelian for a denarius!”

(to be continued)

VIII.

From the dark streets of Palmyra, a parade approaches. Escorted by legionnaires with torches. To our surprise, it is Queen Zenobia again, dressed and made up as she was in the afternoon. She is accompanied by Roman officers, two slave maidens, and two male slaves who carry a coffer, by two wooden sticks. What is she up to, in the middle of the night?

Zenobia walks to Cassius Longinus’ cross.

“Forgive me, my esteemed teacher”, she says, “I have been weak in the courtroom! I have ignored your lessons about the great Socrates!”

“No one is perfect, Queen! We are just humans! We all can be seized by weakness, when the circumstances are threatening!”

Exhaustion sounded in Cassius Longinus’ voice, but nevertheless, he still spoke firmly, as if Zenobia’s words had revived him!

“If, you, and your eloquence had been present in that courtroom! All this… should not have happened to you and your companions! I am sorry!”

“Queen, whatever I would have said in the courtroom, our fate was already sealed in advance, and this would have happened anyway! Aurelian had planned it already longtime! Our weakness was that we have not been courageous, and that we have not slain ourselves! Therefore, we are punished with this humiliation!”

“I have … well, I have revoked my apology! Aurelian wanted to parade me in Rome, along to his chariot! That is a worse humiliation than the cross! I had an argument with Aurelian and angered him! Now I come to join you!”

“But… Queen!”

Zenobia stretched out her hands, still with the golden chains on, towards a centurion.

“Please!?”

Pointing with his digit, a centurion ordered a legionnaire to release Zenobia from her chains.

“Thank you! Now I shall prepare!”

Of course, a queen like Zenobia prepares whatever she does with style. Even for the humiliation of the cross.

Her slave maidens first detached her dark blue cape, folded it carefully, and put into the meanwhile open coffer.

Then, Zenobia took off most of her jewelry. Her earrings, her collar, her bracelet, her rings. She put them carefully into a jewelry box, which was also put into the coffer. Her maidens also helped her to detach the still empty dagger holder.

The slaves detached her waistband and the belt around her hips. Zenobia’s dress was now freely draped over her body. She took out her top.

Next, her long dress was taken out. The slavegirls detached the laces on the backside, and helped Zenobia, so she could step out of it gently. She now stood in a silk underdress, down to her knees, which the slavegirls helped to pull over the queen’s head, carefully avoiding it to be damaged, since she was still wearing her metal tiara. After every step, the piece of clothing taken off, was folded neatly and added to the content of the coffer.

Just then, Zenobia took the eagled tiara from her head, and detached the remaining hairpins and clips, and she let her long black hair fall freely over her shoulder. As she gave the tiara to her slaves, she said, contemplating it :

“Well, the Syrian Empire will be for another time!”

She nodded to the slavegirls to carry on. Zenobia’s breasts fell free when her breastband was released. Finally, after a slightly deeper take of breath, she detached herself the loincloth, now revealing her total nudity. She stepped forward, kicking out her sandals. She nodded to the centurion to make clear that she was ready!

“The condemned shall be crucified in front of the others, so they all will be able to see her!”

Zenobia gave a nod of confirmation. Then she turned to us, hiding nothing of her stark nudity, and a bit naughty and embarrassed at the same time, with a slightly trembling voice, she said :

“All right guys, here is your queen, as, I bet, you always have wanted to see her! Well, for all the work you have done for me and for our cause, the previous years, and after all the effort and the suffering you are now in, enjoy it!”

By Jupiter and all gods of the Pantheon! From her long black hair, her goddess-like face, her perfect round breasts, her waist and hips, centered into a gorgeous black bush! These legs! Queen Zenobia, either fully dressed or stark naked, what a graceful appearance! I bet that, from all and everything there is in this world, nothing and no one nears Plato’s ideal essential of the Good, the Truth and the Beauty the best, as Queen Zenobia of Palmyra! No wonder, Cassius Longinus fell for her powers and put aside his critics on rulers and started to serve her!

“Proceed!”

(to be continued)

IX.

‘Splash!’

“Careful, old man, being hard at your age is bad for your heart! A shower is exactly what you need, now! You are supposed to stay a bit longer alive! Orders of the emperor, remember!?”

Oh no! It is not true! There is no Queen Zenobia here! I must have been hallucinating! It’s again that nasty young legionnaire from Burdigalia, who is watering us to keep us alive! Soon he will be there with his sponge soaked in wine!

Apparently it works, since all the ‘old men’ are surprisingly still alive! I see Cassius Longinus straighten his back, while uttering a long roar of annoyance, frustration and pain. Is the great Cassius Longinus longing to death?

Soon, the legionnaire stands in front of my cross, with the sponge.

“Drink for you, old man!”

“My name.. is Loxuru!”

“That’s fine for you, old man!”

“I was born in Burdigalia, like you!”

“Nice! Here, drink!”

I lean forward to suck the sponge, obediently submitting to emperor Aurelian’s life extension program. After all, I am just a naked crucified criminal, right? So forget all that was. My dignity? Humiliated in public? I don’t care anymore (and maybe, more wine will make me more hallucinating about Zenobia).

This is why we stayed, when Aurelian approached. Was it loyalty to the queen? A sense of honour that a man does not flee and should accept his fate? Was it Cassius Longinus’ persuasive authority that kept us in Palmyra? Perhaps! But more likely, the greatest motivation to stay was the ‘great reward’, the desire, planted in our head, that the gorgeous Queen Zenobia would one day, or rather, one night, reward us for our advises with an intimate stay between her bedsheets! So we stayed, waiting for the reward that never came!

That young legionnaire, I think, if he fights bravely, keeps strong, obeys orders and submits to military discipline, he can make it to an optio, over, say twenty years! Suppose he will then be on guard duty on a crucifixion site at night, he can tell the young legionnaires under his command that, many years ago, he has witnessed the death on the cross of the once famous philosopher Cassius Longinus. That would be better than Aurelian’s idea to leave the philosopher to oblivion. He better would listen to his current optio, who puts the emphasis on the fact that Longinus’ fame did not make him immune for justice! Do not cancel him, but keep the memory of the downfall alive! The example, that’s what matters! Whether right or wrong, even a famous man can be put on trial and condemned to death and executed! That’s the lesson, the fate of Socrates teaches! Fame even does not protect against the ultimate public dishonour and humiliation on the cross! That’s what the fate of Cassius Longinus teaches!

“Want some more, old man!?”

THE END

Disclaimers and epilogue.

The previous story is based on historical events. Queen Zenobia, Emperor Aurelian and the philosopher Cassius Longinus are historical figures.

The following elements of the story diverge from history or are fictional :

-For the sake of the drama, Aurelian’s campaigns of reconquest have been switched. He first recaptured the Palmyrene Empire, and then the Gallic.

-Cassius Longinus and other advisers of Queen Zenobia have been executed on order of Aurelian, after the fall of Palmyra, but there is not the least evidence or indication that they got crucified.

-The trials and executions did not take place in Palmyra, but in Emesa (today’s Homs)

Much of our knowledge about the events is based on the ‘New History’, written by Zosimus, between 498 and 518 AD. Here are the excerpts:

[1.56.1] Meantime some of the Palmyrenes, that were shut up in the town, resolved to expose themselves courageously, and to hazard their being made captives in defense of their city. While others on the contrary employed humble and submissive gestures from the walls, and intreated pardon for what was past. The emperor accepting these tokens, and commanding them to fear nothing, they poured out of the town with presents and sacrifices in their hands.

[1.56.2] Aurelian paid due respect to the holy things, received their gifts, and sent them away without injury. But having made himself master of this city, with all the treasure it contained, he returned to Emesa, where he brought Zenobia and her accomplices to a judiciary trial. Zenobia coming into court pleaded strongly in excuse of herself, and produced many persons, who had seduced her as a simple woman, and among the rest Longinus, whose writings are highly beneficial to all lovers of learning.

[1.56.3] Being found guilty of the crimes laid to his charge, he received from the emperor sentence of death, which he bore with so much courage, as to console to his friends who were much concerned at his misfortunes. Several besides Longinus suffered upon the accusation of Zenobia.

According to some historians, Zenobia’s excuses that her advisers were to blame for the rebellion and the accusations towards them, to have her threatened with abuse, could have been a propaganda hoax set up by Aurelian to tarnish Zenobia’s reputation, and to present her as a coward, particularly to the population of Palmyra.

Zenobia’s later fate is uncertain. According to sources, she committed suicide (Zosimus) or was beheaded on order of Aurelian (Malalas). Most scholars assume that she was exposed in Aurelian’s victory parade in 274 AD and next given for marriage to a Roman nobleman or a senator, and she spent the rest of her life in a villa in Tibur, near Rome.

Two years after Zenobia’s defeat, Palmyra rebelled again. This time, Aurelian was less lenient. He had the city sacked and destroyed and many inhabitants were killed. Palmyra would never regain its greatness after this crushing.

Aurelian himself would meet a violent death, like nearly all Roman Emperors (one wonders how they still found candidates for the job). Reputed as stern on discipline and harsh on punishment during his military campaigns, he was killed in Thracia in 275 AD by a few of his men who faced court martial.

Much of the ruins of Palmyra have been preserved up to the Twentieth Century. The Syrian regime then politically recuperated Zenobia as an icon of ancient Syrian nationalism.

When in 2014, Islamic State took control of Palmyra, they savagely blew op some of the historical remains of the city.

The painting used as background for the manips, is “Queen Zenobia’s Last Look on Palmyra” (1888) by the British painter Herbert Schmalz (1856-1935).

philos_2f.jpg

The example, that’s what matters! Whether right or wrong, even a famous man can be put on trial and condemned to death and executed! That’s the lesson, the fate of Socrates teaches! Fame even does not protect against the ultimate public dishonour and humiliation on the cross! That’s what the fate of Cassius Longinus teaches!
Great story. Loved this final paragraph.

A story that instructs across the Ages.

Kudos to Lox!

Excellent story! And in our own time, Palmyra was severely damaged by ISIS during the time they occupied the area in Syria. Much like the Taliban destroyed the Buddhas at Bamiyan in Afghanistan. Can't have pagan monuments polluting our monotheistic world...

Excellent story! And in our own time, Palmyra was severely damaged by ISIS during the time they occupied the area in Syria. Much like the Taliban destroyed the Buddhas at Bamiyan in Afghanistan. Can't have pagan monuments polluting our monotheistic world...
Thanks fo the comments. Actually, Zenobia has since long been 'recuperated' by the Syrian regime as a national icon (despite the fact that Zenobia's Palmyrene Empire was not an 'Arab' or 'Syrian' project, but it fit in the Hellenistic tradition of the region).
Zenobia, and the ruins of Palmyra figured on a banknote of 100 Syrian Pound (edition 1977) :

philos_1e.jpg

And later on the banknote of 500 Syrian Pound (edition 1998):
philos1e.jpg

ISIS questions the very existence of the state of Syria (and of the other states in the Middle East) as colonial relics, resulting from the partition of remnants of the Ottoman Empire, after its defeat in WWI, between the UK and France (the Sykes-Picot agreement, 1918). So, it could be they targeted a symbol of Syrian nationalism by destroying ruins in Palmyra.

Thanks fo the comments. Actually, Zenobia has since long been 'recuperated' by the Syrian regime as a national icon (despite the fact that Zenobia's Palmyrene Empire was not an 'Arab' or 'Syrian' project, but it fit in the Hellenistic tradition of the region).
Zenobia, and the ruins of Palmyra figured on a banknote of 100 Syrian Pound (edition 1977) :

View attachment 1239506

And later on the banknote of 500 Syrian Pound (edition 1998):
View attachment 1239507

ISIS questions the very existence of the state of Syria (and of the other states in the Middle East) as colonial relics, resulting from the partition of remnants of the Ottoman Empire, after its defeat in WWI, between the UK and France (the Sykes-Picot agreement, 1918). So, it could be they targeted a symbol of Syrian nationalism by destroying ruins in Palmyra.
The Palmyrenes were a mix of Semitic people, mostly Aramean and Arab but likely including Jews and Phoenicians - pretty much the same ethnic mix as modern Syrians. Their culture, like much of the region, was Hellenistic blended with native belief and tradition.
Zenobia's Aramaic name was Septimia Bat-Zabbai. Her first name is Greco-Roman and the second part, Bat-Zabbai, means means "daughter of Zabbai" in Aramaic. Transliterated into Greek, Zabbai becomes "Zenobios", with the feminine form being Zenobia.

The destruction of Palmyra recently was a combination of deliberate work by ISIL, fighting between ISIL and Syrians and looting. While ISIL may have had a distaste for graven images, they also needed money for their war do they looted many historical sites and sold relics on the black market.

Back
Top Bottom