The "pit" question

Go to CruxDreams.com
Sorry, I can't help you with the term since I'm not good at English. But I'd like to mention that those are my favourite images from the website besides those from Tibool.

I love that the door doesn't have a window or how cramped the space is. The first girl seems to be about to be dragged out of the pit, roughly by the hair, to her daily interrogation/rape session.

I can also totally imagine myself being one of the girls from the second image, feeling the breasts of a girl behind me on my back and the warm liquid on my bare feet. I can hear suppressed sobbing in the darkness and smell the faint scent of menstrual blood amidst the suffocating stench of sweat and urine.

They contain so many elements that I like that I can't help but let my imagination fly whenever I look at them.

It could mean many things.
A singular hole with bars or a doer over it to be used as a solitary confinement and prison, keeping the occupant bereft of light, space and comfort.
The term “oubliette” ( a place for forgetting) is most likely an inspiration for such a place.
It is up to the imagination, I suspect as to specific dimensions, placement and use.
For Punishment or general spartan confinement.
My slave enjoys its clammy womb from time to time.

Hi. I've heard this thing called a "pit" but I'm not sure what the correct name is.

Is there any detailed information, pictures, stories?

These are pictures of DeLucena showing what I mean.
Years ago @Barbaria1 and I did a story set in a mine illustrated with lots of pics like that. In one chapter, (Chapter 11) two of the mine slaves were locked in the pit. They did have some company- of the rodent kind.

You can read all about it here https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/mine-misery.5823/

Stuff like this still exists in many correctional systems around the world. The modern term you'd be looking for is "solitary confinement". Basically it's what you see. A prisoner is put into a practically bare cell by themselves as either punishment or separation from the general population for whatever reason!

Stuff like this still exists in many correctional systems around the world. The modern term you'd be looking for is "solitary confinement". Basically it's what you see. A prisoner is put into a practically bare cell by themselves as either punishment or separation from the general population for whatever reason!
I meant the exact opposite. When many people are crammed into a small space or one person into a very small space.

In my IPCG story, the Punishment Pits are located on TIger Cage Island - I'd read about such pits being used by the South Vietnamese regime for political prisoners during the war - concrete-lined cubic holes in the ground with metal grids over the top, too constricted for the prisoner to stand, lie down or stretch out comfortably. Similar cells built into a disused water tank were reported from Pinochet's Chile. But, as been said, the idea has been horribly present throughout history.

In the KJ version of the Hebrew Bible, 'The Pit' is used for Gehenna, the place were wretched souls go, it's rather vaguely conceived but imagined to be like the rubbish tips outside Jerusalem, holes full of ever-smouldering, stinking trash. In Revelation, The Bottomless Pit is Greek abyssos, that evolved into the Christian idea of Hell. Ideas of this sort, and of a 'living tomb', no doubt fed into such evil forms of torture by confinement.

Hi. I've heard this thing called a "pit" but I'm not sure what the correct name is.

Is there any detailed information, pictures, stories?

These are pictures of DeLucena showing what I mean.
A "pit" is a hole in the ground. You can certainly throw prisoners in one, singly or in large numbers, with or without a grille on top (though the latter is more secure). It's good for looking down on them quite literally, and you can drop food if you're generous - if you're not, the pit can serve as a latrine not just for it's inhabitants (which it always is) but also others.

While it's not impossible that this has drifted to some metaphorical use (like the use of "the hole" as slang for solitary confinement), I think that as others have said, what you display in the first post is more likely called a sweatbox, or just "the box". As well as tightness, the other key point is exposure to the elements - the full name comes from how they were often used in prisons in hot areas to torment the punished with concentrated heat. (Though when the weather goes the other way they can become freezers as well.)
And of course, in such a closed space there's even less freedom to distance oneself from one's wastes than in a pit.

Back
Top Bottom