The Sad Fate of Renate Schiller

Go to CruxDreams.com

Naraku

Draconarius
A tale of a young woman caught in the machinery of the judicial system.

The Sad Fate of Renate Schiller

by Naraku​

Disclaimer: This story is entirely a work of fiction. All persons, places and events are the creation of the author.

Record of trial as recorded by Ludwig Zeller, City Scribe:

15 September: By order of the Magistrates of the city of Faringen, Renate Schiller, daughter of Johann Schiller, free-farmer of the village of Hütendorf, is commanded to appear before said Magistrates to be questioned regarding matters of serious concern in order to ascertain her complicity in possible felonious acts

Renate Schiller was scared. Strange men had come from the city; serious looking men with swords. Grüber, the charcoal-burner was with them. He had led them into the woods behind her house and pointed out a spot near a fallen trunk. And then, they began digging.

“What are those men with old Grüber digging for?”, her mother had mused.

Renate didn’t answer. She just stood shaking. “They couldn’t be.”, she thought, “They couldn’t know.”

Then, she saw Grüber pointing toward their house and some of the men approached.

When they came up to Renate and her mother, one of them asked “Is this the Schiller house?” Her mother replied that it was and the man asked, “Is one of you Renate Schiller?”

Renata timidly responded that it was she.

“You are to come with us. By order the Magistrates.” the man said in a cold, official tone.

Her mother asked, “Why? What business could they have with my daughter? She’s a young maiden. She’s done nothing wrong.”

“I reckon that’s what the Magistrates want to find out.” the man said. Then he stepped a bit closer to the mother and added, in a softer tone, “Don’t make no trouble misses, we have our orders. I’m sure, if she has truly done no wrong, she’ll be coming home soon.”

Renata was put in the back of a cart. A chain was attached to one of her ankles with the other end attached to a large stone. Three of the men got in the cart with her, including the one who seemed to be the leader. The rest got in another cart and then they headed out of the village.

Renata watched the only home she had ever known recede in the distance. She saw her mother and younger brother standing in front of their house. She saw her father come running from the direction of the smithy to join his wife and son. She saw the rest of the villages standing in their doorways or in the fields, watching her pass by. They all had looks of puzzlement and confusion. They could not fathom what this unusual sight could mean. Then, she saw Grüber talking to a group of men. They turned and looked at her with hate and condemnation. She sat with her arms holding her knees against her chest, and she lowered her head and cried.

17 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates. Chief Magistrate Georg Silberhaus, presiding. Deputy Magistrates Franz Nuedecker, Adolphus Hoffmeister, Heinrich Runge and Balthasar Edelwert and City Scribe Ludwig Zeller attending. When asked to identify herself she responds that she is Renate Schiller, daughter of Johann Schiller and Dorothea Beck, of the village of Hütendorf, eighteen years of age and unmarried.

Five men sat behind a heavy table. They were stern faced older men in laced collars. There was another man sitting at a side table with piles of paper and a quill pen. And there were the guards, the men who had come to her village. Three of them stood behind her.

The man in the middle seat, Chief Magistrate Silberhaus, asked her questions. The first ones were simple: her name, her parents names, her age and marital status. She answered them quickly and the man to the side scratched his quill across the paper. Then, came a harder question:

“Did you bury the corpse of an infant in the woods behind your house on the night of the thirteenth of this month?”

Her mouth went dry. Her knees shook. With a trembling voice she replied: “No, sir. I never did such a thing. Why would I do such a thing?”

The magistrate picked up a piece of paper and examined it through a pair of handheld spectacles, “Hans Grüber, of your village, says that he witnessed you perform the act of burying something on that night. He recognized that it was you. After you returned to your house, he states, he dug up the item, thinking it might be something of value. Instead, he discovered it to be the body of a baby which he promptly reburied. The following day he came to this city to report his discovery. He has testified to all of this under oath.”

“He’s lying!” she shouted, “He could not have seen such a thing. He could not have seen me.”

Silberhaus put down the paper and glared at her more sternly than before: “He led our men to the site and the corpse was found. The woman he saw came from and returned to your house. If it was not you then it must have been someone else. Are there any other women in your household?”

“Only my mother, sir”, she answered, meekly.

“Then are you saying your mother is the one who buried the baby?”

“No...I...she...”, Renate stammered, “She couldn’t...There was no baby in our house. Grüber is lying about what he saw. My mother has not had a child since my brother and I have never known a man.

“Grüber is lying!”, she shouted.

The man to his right leaned over and whispered something in the questioner’s ear. Silberhaus nodded and waved one of the guards to come over. After some more whispering, the guard left the room.

Upon being informed of the evidence against her, the accused denies the charges.

The magistrate resumed speaking, “So, it is your claim that Hans Grüber has perjured himself? That is a very serious crime. The penalties are most severe. Are you certain that is your claim?”

Renate nodded. The idea of Grüber being punished for perjury did not please her, but, she had no love for the man. He was nothing to her. Better him than her, or worse, her mother.

The guard returned carrying a bundle wrapped in cloth which the magistrate commanded him to place on the floor between the table and Renate. Then, with a bit of dramatic flourish he unwrapped the bundle.

There lay the corpse of a newborn baby girl, discolored and beginning to smell from decay. Renata collapsed to her knees, covered her face and wept.

“Is this the body of your baby?”, demanded the magistrate.

“Yes,” Renate sobbed, “It is mine. I admit it. I became pregnant and gave birth in secret and buried it in the woods to hide my shame.”

“You buried it alive?”

“No!” shouted a shocked Renate, “How could you think I could do such a thing? She was dead when she was born. She never breathed or cried or anything.”

After being shown the corpse, the prisoner is commanded again to tell the truth. She admits that the child is hers and that she buried it but states that it was born dead. She is questioned further. Did she commit the act of fornication? She responds yes. She is asked if she killed the child? She responds no. Had she had carnal knowledge of any other men? She responds no. Did she become pregnant and give birth as a result of these carnal acts? She responds yes. Did anyone know of her pregnancy? She responds no. She is informed of the opinion of the learned Doctor Walter Baunach. She again states that the child was born dead.

Franz Nuedecker, the youngest of the magistrates, leaned in and spoke in a more soothing, less demanding voice, “Tell us, Renate, how did you come to be pregnant?”

“I had sex with a boy. A neighbor.”

“Who?”

Renate hesitated. She knew she couldn’t hide her own guilt but was reluctant to implicate anyone else.

“You must answer the question.” demanded the Chief Magistrate.

“Theo Rutscher, the blacksmith’s son.”

“Is he your betrothed?” asked Nuedecker.

“No, he is betrothed to the miller’s daughter.”

“Did you tell him of your pregnancy?”

“No. I didn’t even know until maybe three or four months after, and I didn’t want to hurt him or his chance of marrying Martha. It’s a good marriage for him.”

“Did you tell your parents?”

“No. How could I? The shame… How could I tell anyone? If my parents knew… It would shame my family. And my father… It would go bad for Theo… I hid it from them. I let my clothes out to hide my belly. And it didn’t really grow much.”

“Did you confess your sin to your priest?”, the senior magistrate asked.

“No. He’s a good friend of the miller. I wasn’t sure I could trust him.”

“Did you have carnal knowledge of any other men?”

“No. I was a virgin before Theo and there have been no others.”

“And how was the baby birthed without a midwife or any others knowing?”

“In the middle of the night, I had pains in my belly. When I got out of bed, water ran down my legs and I knew, from when my mother gave birth to my little brother, that the time had come. So, I snuck out to the barn and bit down on a bit of leather so I didn’t scream and then she came out of me.”, Renata hung her head and wept.

“And you swear that the baby was born dead?”

“Yes.”

“You should know, girl, that this corpse has been examined by the surgeon Walter Baunach, a most learned man,” the Silberhaus said sternly, “He has declared it to be well formed and found no signs illness. It is his considered opinion that this child was born alive.”

“He’s wrong!” Renate shouted, “She was dead! I swear it before Jesus and all the Saints!”

The magistrate’s talked back and forth among themselves in hushed tones that Renate could not hear, and when she could hear, it was mostly words she did not understand. Finally, the Chief Magistrate spoke:

“It grows late. We shall adjourn this hearing until tomorrow. The accused is to be held in custody until then. We shall consider the testimony and whether harsh methods need be employed.”

He banged his gavel on the table and Renate was taken away by the guards.

The Magistrates decide to adjourn the trial and consider their next course of action.

Renate spent a night in a windowless cell in the basement of the Hall of Justice. She was fed dark bread and a thin gruel. She ate, but although the food was filling, it did nothing to remove the cold lump that had formed in her stomach when the Chief Magistrate uttered the words “harsh methods”. Even though she didn’t know exactly what those words meant, the sound of them terrified her. That night, Renate slept only in short spells. The troubling words, her own sense of guilt and the uncertainty of the future kept waking her.

In the Rathskeller, the magistrates dined on venison, cod and squab with onions and lintels and white bread and washed down with cups of red wine and beer as they discussed the case.

The magistrates faced a dilemma. Renate had committed the crime of fornication, that was indisputable. And for that, she could be punished with a fine, or the pillory, or a flogging, or any combination of the three. Burying a dead body in secret was a crime that could be punished with a fine. But, the question was, how did the baby die? If it was born dead, then that was the end of the matter. But, if it had not and Renate had killed it, then that was a crime of the most serious nature, with only one possible penalty.

Nuedecker and Hoffmeister argued for sentencing her to a flogging and the pillory for fornication, the matter of the baby’s death being being declared indeterminate. They maintained that the stain to the girl’s reputation would be a punishment that would follow her the rest of her life and that the question of infanticide could not be decided without absolute certainty of guilt. Silberhaus, Runge and Edelwert argued that the death of a child should not be so easily dismissed. Furthermore, the opinion of Baunach, a distinguished member of the medical community could not be ignored. After much debate, it was decided. The girl would have to be questioned under torture.
(Part 2 to be posted later tonight)

Part 2

18 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates. She is told that they have concluded that she has lied and that the child was born alive and killed afterward. She is asked if she wishes to change her testimony. She maintains that this is not true. She is told that she must confess the truth or the Magistrates will have no choice but to order her to be tortured. She swears upon the saints and the Blessed Virgin that she has told the truth. Trial is relocated to the torture chamber.

The guards took Renate to the attic of the Hall of Justice. There was a burly man waiting who took hold of her arm and pulled her to the center of the room. Renate looked around apprehensively. There was a rope hanging from one of rafters, connected to a winch. There was a table with chairs and a bench to one side. There was another table against the far wall, with ropes and objects that looked like tools but that she didn’t recognize. After what seemed like a very long time, but was really only a minute, the five magistrates, the court scribe and the man she had been told was the surgeon Baunach, entered and sat down at the table.

The prisoner is again implored to tell the truth. She again says she has spoken the truth and has nothing more to add. She is ordered to strip herself bare. She hesitates and protest her modesty. She informed that if she does not cooperate, she will be forcibly stripped.

Renate was horrified. They wanted her to strip, naked, here, in front of all these men? When they told her that they would take her clothes off by force, she saw one of the guards grinning and that frightened her even more. With trembling hands, she awkwardly unlaced her bodice. When she pulled it off, the burly man snatched it away and tossed it onto the table with the tools.

She untied her skirt and let it fall to the floor. The burly man reached down and took hold of it. He pushed against the back of her leg and she understood that he wanted her to step out of it. The skirt was gathered up and tossed onto the table.

Standing only in her shift, Renate looked at the Magistrates, hoping they would allow her to stop.

“Do you wish to change your testimony?,” the Chief Magistrate asked, “Do you wish to confess?”

Renate stood, unable to reply. She did not know what she could say. She could not understand why they did not believe her.

A guard put his hand on her shoulder. Renate pulled away instinctively and let out a small cry. She then grabbed hold of the shift at the hips and began to slowly pull it upward. The hem rose, revealing her red stockings. Then, as it rose further, exposing the pale flesh of her thighs, all five magistrates leaned forward. The garment continued to rise, exposing the firm thighs of a young woman. Then, a wispy patch of dark blonde pubic hair appeared. Higher, and the belly that bulged slightly above the pubic mound came into view. Renate leaned forward and pulled the shift over her head from behind, then, her arms still in the sleeves, she clutched it to her chest. Tears were running down her cheeks, but she could see that the men behind the table were not going to spare her. She slid her left arm free, then her right, then held the shift against her body, as if it were a shied that would protect her from these heartless men. That protection ended when the shift was snatched away and she had to quickly put her left arm over her breasts and her right hand over her groin to protect what little modesty she had left.

“Shoes and stockings too.” the burly man spoke for the first time. Renate was shocked at how soft his voice was, barely a whisper.

Renate awkwardly tried to crouch down, without exposing any of her secret places, her knees tight together and one arm over her bosoms. She tried to untie her left garter with her right hand, but, realizing the impossibility of doing this one handed, she removed her left arm from her breast and pressed them against her thighs, drawing herself into a ball. But, even using both hands, she was trembling so much that she could not get the ribbon untied.

Suddenly, she was grabbed by the elbows and fell back onto her butt. One of the guards; the grinning one; had taken hold of her. The burly man leaned down and took hold her right ankle. He raised the leg and, with a small knife, cut the garter ribbon, then pulled off her shoe and stocking and tossed them aside. He let go of the leg and repeated the process with the other.

The guard, still holding her by the elbows, lifted Renate so that she stood, unable to cover her nakedness before the Magistrates. The other guard reached out to take hold of her kerchief.

“No.” said the burly man, “Leave that. It’ll keep her hair out of the way.”

There was silence in the room. Renate stood helpless, tears running down her blushing cheeks. No man had ever seen her naked, not since childhood at least. Theo had reached his hand into her bodice and fondled her breast and had raised her skirt to have sex with her and seen all that was hidden underneath; but no man had ever seen her completely nude. Not until today.

The Magistrates and Baunach drank in the sight. That night, as they dined at the Rathskeller, they would comment on how fine a figure she was. Short of stature but well proportioned. Her body toned by work in the fields but not yet bent or hardened, and still with the firmness of youth. Her breasts, full of milk yet sagging only slightly were round and ripe with large dark areolae. And her skin, untouched by the sun except for her face and hands, was pink and smooth and unblemished. They had to remain composed and impassive, for the dignity of their office, but, it was hard, seeing her naked before them, not to react.

“Master Surgeon,” said the Chief Magistrate, breaking the tense silence, “Would you please examine the prisoner?”

The Surgeon Baunach is asked to examine the prisoner. He does so and reports that she is fit to endure torture without endangering her life. The prisoner is urged to tell the truth. She continues to insist that she has done so and begs the court to show mercy. City Executioner Franz Ahlers is ordered to prepare her for torture.

Baunach walked over to the girl. He took her face in his hand and looked into her eyes. He then ran his hands down the sides of her torso, feeling her ribs. He ran his hands over her breasts and squeezed them a bit, causing beads of milk to ooze from her nipples. He laid his head against her left breast and listened to her heart for a few seconds. He poked at her abdomen, all the way to her pubic mount. He instructed the guard to turn her around and felt under her arms and kneaded her shoulders and spine. Finally, he squeezed her buttocks and thighs. He stepped aside and the guard turned back around to face the table. Renate felt like she was a piece of livestock that had been examined by a prospective buyer...or a butcher.

“I find the prisoner to be hale and healthy and able to withstand the rigors of questioning.” Baunach pronounced to the scribe, who scratched at the paper before him.

“We ask again,” said the Chief Magistrate, “do you wish to change your testimony?”

Too frightened to speak, Renate shook her head and looked away.

“Prepare the prisoner for the strappado”

The burly man, Ahlers, crossed her wrists behind her back with the help of a guard. He took a piece of rope and tied them tightly, causing her to let out a soft “Ow”. Ignoring her, he took the rope that hung from the rafters and tied it to a loop he had created in the rope around her wrists. The guard released her and Ahlers walked to the wench and began turning it.

Renate did not understand the strange word “strappado” and could not see what was happening behind her, but she felt her wrists being pulled slowly upward. The pressure on her shoulders caused her to lean forward, until she was almost bent double at the waist. Still, she was being lifted and her heels left the floor. She cried out in pain. Her shoulders were aching and the muscles of her back were strained. Then, the pulling stopped.

The prisoner having been bound for torture is given another chance to speak the truth. She again refuses. The executioner is ordered to raise her in the strappado.

“Renate Schiller,” Chief Magistrate Silberhaus solemnly said, “We implore for the last time to reveal the truth concerning your infant’s death.”

Terrified, Renate could only barely whisper, “I’ve told you the truth.”

“Proceed.”

The executioner turned the wench again and Renate’s feet left the floor. Immediately, her body weight began twisting her arms and stretching the tendons and ligaments of her shoulders. She had thought childbirth was the greatest pain she had ever known; it was nothing compared to this. She screamed, but still she rose, until she was about a meter off the ground. Then, the wench stopped, and she was left suspended in mid-air.

“Please,” she gasped out, “In the name of God. It hurts. Please let me down.”

Renate did not see the Magistrate give the signal, but she was slowly lowered until her feet touched the ground again. Some of the pressure was gone, although her arms were still twisted and she was bent over.

The prisoner cries out and begs to be released. She is lowered to the floor and told that she must speak the truth. She claims she knows no other truth than what she has spoken. She is ordered to be raised again.

“Speak the truth.” the Magistrate demanded.

Renate wept, her tears falling on the floor beneath her. “I’m spoken the truth. I swear it.”

The Chief Magistrate waved his hand and Renate rose again.

The pain seemed greater this time and Renate wailed as she rose to the same height as before. She dangled there, crying and dripping with sweat.

“Tell us the truth woman.” the Chief Magistrate demanded.

Renata gasped out, between sobs, “I swear, in the name of out Lord and Savior, I’ve told you the truth. Please. You must believe. me.”

The prisoner begs for mercy and swears in the name of Jesus that she speaks the truth. She is lowered. She is informed that the evidence presented proves that she is lying and that she must now speak the truth or face harsher treatments. She remains stubborn in her instance that the evidence is wrong and she has spoken the truth. It is ordered that weights be tied to her and she is raised again.

Renate’s feet touched the floor again. Her shoulders ached, but she could breath more easily.

“Renate Schiller,” Silberhaus intoned grimly, “The evidence against you is clear. Your persistent obstinacy will only result in greater suffering. Tell us the truth. Did you kill your baby?”

“No.” Renate whimpered, “No. A thousand times no.”

“The first measure of weights.” the Chief Magistrate said.

Unable to see anything from her bent-over position but the floor, she was startled when a large canvas bag landed with a thud next to her left foot. A second bag was dropped next to her right foot. Then, Ahlers knelt next to her and tied the one bag to each ankle.

“We implore you to tell the truth.”, said Silberhaus.

“I’ve told you the truth.” Renate moaned, “There is nothing more to tell.”

Renate heard the creak of the wench and felt her arms being pulled up again. She cried out as her feet left the ground and her weight wrenched her shoulders. Then, the ropes on her ankles drew taught and the heavy bags came off the ground. Now, almost twenty pounds of sand were pulling her body downward as the wench pulled her upward. She screamed as her shoulders were twisted further than before. Her ascent stopped just below the ceiling.

“Mother Maria! Have mercy!”, she screamed.

“Confess!”, Silberhaus shouted.

Renate only whined and moaned in response.

“It is nearly noon, gentlemen.” Magistrate Edelwert said, “Perhaps we should adjourn for lunch.”

“Yes,” said Silberhaus, “I agree. Master Ahlers, leave the prisoner as she is and be mindful she does not succumb.”

The Magistrates, Baunach and the scribe went to a room on the second floor, where they enjoyed a light repast of bread, cheese and wine. Renate was left in the attic, suspended in agony. She quickly learned that any movement would send a new wave of pain through her already tormented body, so she tried to remain as still as possible. The weights were adding new pain as the ropes dug into her ankles and the tendons in her knees and hips were being strained. But this was nothing compared to the searing pain in her shoulders. At one point, she began to slip into unconsciousness, but Ahlers splashed a bucket of cold water onto her legs and lower torso.

“Don’t you die on me bitch.” he snarled.

Renate became convinced that, soon, her arms would be torn from her body and she would come crashing down on the floor. In a strange way, the thought gave her some peace, for, surely, she would die and her suffering would end.

The prisoner cries out to The Virgin for mercy. She is ordered to confess he crime. She is left suspended for space of an hour. When the prisoner is lowered she confesses that she killed her baby upon its birth. Her confession is recorded and she is returned to her cell.

After a little over an hour that seemed like an eternity to Renate, the silence of the room was broken by the shuffling of feet and the scratch of chairs on the floor planks. Renate was too weak and in too much pain to move her head and see what was happening below her.

The voice of Silberhaus was heard: “Renate Schiller, will you now tell us the truth?”

“Yes,” she responded in a barely audible whisper, “I will...please...let me down.”

She descended slowly, until her feet touched the ground again. One of the guards put an arm around her waist supporting her as she was lowered until she sat on the floor. Ahlers threw a blanket over her shoulders as he and the guard held her sitting upright, facing the magistrates.

“Tell us what happened, Renate.” the Chief Magistrate said softly.

“The baby came out of me.” Renate said in a quavering voice, “It started to cry. I put my shawl over it’s face. I only wanted to stop it from crying. I didn’t want my parents to hear. I didn’t mean to smother her. I didn’t mean to kill her. I swear it.” She looked at the magistrates through reddened eyes, “Please, you must believe me.”

The five magistrates whispered among themselves before the Chief Magistrate spoke up.

“The prisoner’s confession has been recorded. She will be returned to her cell until the next hearing. Surgeon Baunach, please make sure the prisoner has not suffered serious injury.”

As the magistrates and the scribe left the room, Baunach knelt beside Renate. He felt her pulse and listened to the heart. He felt the joints of her one shoulder as he lifted her arm. Renate screamed in pain. Ignoring her, Baunach repeated the procedure with the other arm and got the same reaction.

“Both her arms are dislocated”. The surgeon pronounced to Ahlers.

“I expected as much,” said Ahlers, “I know how to fix this. Hold her firmly, sir.”

Baunach wrapped his arms around Renate’s chest, with his right hand squeezing her left breast, while Ahlers firmly grabbed her left arm at the shoulder and elbow. He pulled and twisted the arms twice, until he felt the joint was back in place. Of course, Renate screamed as the pain was just as excruciating as when the joint were pulled out of its socket. Ahlers was able to get the left arm in place more easily, though no less painfully.

“Well done,” said Baunach, “I suppose you have learned much of human anatomy in your profession, Master Executioner.”

“Not so much as you, Master Surgeon,” responded Ahlers politely, “But, I have learnt a thing or two.”

“She should be fine,” said the surgeon as he stood, “Be sure she eats.”

As Baunach left, Ahlers pulled Renate’s shift on. She moan as he moved her arms to get them into the sleeves. Then, he pulled her to her feet and tried to get her to walk. But, she was too weak and Ahlers had to lift her into his arms and carry her downstairs.

She was taken to a different cell on the floor below the attic torture chamber. It was small but it was clean and there was a small wooden cot with a straw pad and a thin blanket and there was a barred window in the door that let in some light. After about an hour, one of the guards brought her a bowl of gruel and a mug of flat beer. Her arms were too weak, so the guard had to help her drink down the meal.

She was left alone for a few hours more. Then, Ahlers entered the cell. He commanded her to lie on the floor. She complied and he pulled her shift up to her chest. He untied the front of his trousers and pulled out his erect penis. For the next few minutes, the executioner panted and grunted as he thrust his member into her. Renate took no pleasure in the act, not like she had when Theo had done the same to her in the hay loft; but, she did not protest or resist. She accepted that this was part of the procedure of a justice system she did not understand.

When Ahlers had spent his seed within her; he rose and left the room. But he did not close the door and soon the first of the guards, the one who had leered at her, entered, quickly pulled down his trousers and raped her himself. Another guard followed; this one was rougher and mauled her breasts as he pounded his organ into her groin. The third guard was not gentle but not as rough and finished quickly. He locked the door behind him when he left and Renate crawled up onto the cot and cried.

The following day, she was feed twice and that night, the three guards came to her cell again. Her joints still ached but she had more movement and less pain. Physically, she was healing, but her mind was in turmoil.

She had lied, and that was a sin. She had only done so to end her pain, but that didn’t change the fact that she had lied. That weighed heavily on her mind and caused her as much pain as her tortured body. She had lied. She was already damned for the sin of fornication, and now she would be damned for bearing false witness.
(To be continued tomorrow)

Part 3
20 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates and assembled City officers and asked to confirm her confession of the previous day. She denies the confession and protest her innocence. She is ordered to be returned to the torture chamber.

Renate was brought into the room where she had first been questioned. The magistrates and the scribe were seated behind the large table. Other men in lace collars, whom she did not recognize, were seated at tables on either side. The guards forced her to kneel before the magistrates.

Silberhaus stood and solemnly read Renate’s confession and then said: “Will you now confirm and sign this confession before these witnesses?”

“No,” she responded with her head bowed, “I cannot. It is not true.”

The Chief Magistrate slammed his fist on the table, startling not only Renate, but the others in the room.

“Obstinate wench!” he bellowed, “You have already confessed! Now, you wish to confound this court with lies! I see we will have to question you again. Guards, summon Master Ahlers.”

Renate soon found herself naked in the attic again, with the magistrates and scribe seated at the table and Ahlers tying her wrist behind her back.

There was a pause, during which Renate stood trembling and sobbing, Then, the Surgeon Baunach entered, apologizing for being late.

Silberhaus spoke: “Two measures of weight this time.”

Ahlers tied two weighted bags to each of her ankles and Renate heard the winch groan behind her. Her arms began to be pulled upward and the fire of pain again ignited in her shoulders.

“No! Please! Stop!” she screamed, “I confess! I Confess!”

The strain on her arms was released and she collapsed into a crying heap.

“Do you reaffirm your confession?” Silberhaus asked.

Renate whimpered, “Yes.”

“Be warned, if you should recant again, we will show you no mercy.”

An hour later, now wearing her shift, Renate was again in the room full of stern faced men. Again, Silberhaus read out her confession and ask her if she would sign. This time, Renate nodded. She was helped to her feet and lead to the table. A quill was placed in her hand and the Chief Magistrate pointed to the paper in front of her.

She had never learned to read, but she had been taught how to write her name. With a trembling hand, she scratched “Renate” where indicated, then made a cross beside to crude signature. She was then taken back to her cell.

Upon being stripped and bound, the prisoner has a change of heart and reaffirms her confession. The confession is read to her:

I, Renate Schiller of the village of Hüterdorf, daughter of Johann Schiller and Dorothea Beck, do swear in the name of God, that I did have carnal knowledge of a man outside the sacrament of marriage and did become impregnated through said couplings. I concealed my condition from my family and others. I gave birth to a daughter in secret and smothered said baby thus causing its death. I buried the body of my daughter in the woods behind my house in order to conceal my sins. I did these things with full knowledge of the sinful and criminal nature of these acts and did so on my own without the assistance of any others. I confess all of these things freely and confirm with my mark.”

The prisoner is instructed to make her mark and complies.

Renate spent the next two days in her cell. She was feed every morning and evening and slowly, the pain abated and she regained her strength. But, the memory of the pain remained. Every night, the jailers raped her.

At mid-day on the 21st, the Magistrates met in the Ratskeller to discuss the sentencing of Renate Schiller. This time they were joined by suffragan bishop Johannes Steinacher, representing the Prince-Bishop in Tüberg. The Prince-Bishop had taken an interest in the case due to its moral implication. He was concerned that an example should be made for the edification of all the women in his diocese. And to that end, he was willing to supply the executioner of Tüberg and his tools, without charge to the city, of course. Before the meal had ended, Renate’s fate had been decided.
(To be concluded later tonight)

And to that end, he was willing to supply the executioner of Tüberg and his tools, without charge to the city, of course. Before the meal had ended, Renate’s fate had been decided.
Uh oh. This does not sound good. Well written story, Nara. Looking forward to what comes next.

Conclusion
22 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates and assembled City officers. She is read her confession and again confirms it. Her sentence is then proclaimed.

Renate was again in the large room full of well dressed men. There seemed to be more this time, including a gray-haired man in silken ecclesiastical robes.

Silberhaus rose and glared at the kneeling Renate. He read out her confession and then asked if she confirmed its truth.

Renate nodded.

“Speak, woman.” Silberhaus bellowed, “Do you confirm the truth of your confession?”

“Yes,” Renate responded softly, “It’s true.”

“Then we now shall pronounce sentence.”

The Chief Magistrate picked up a piece of paper and cleared his throat before reading out:

We, the Magistrates of the City of Faringen, of the Bishopric of Tüburg, acting in the name of His Excellency, the Most Reverend Prince-Bishop Karl Joseph von Himmelsbach, having considered the evidence and heard the confession of the accused, freely given and confirmed, find the accused Renate Schiller of the village of Hüterdorf, daughter of Johann Schiller and Dorothea Beck, guilty of the crime of infanticide. We therefore, condemn said Renate Schiller to be put to death. She is to be taken, bareheaded and barefoot to a place of execution. There, she is to have both breasts torn with an iron tool. She is then to be bound and burned alive at the stake. May God have mercy upon her soul.”

He put down the paper and picked a white dowel rod which he dramatically snapped in two and dropped to the floor.

A murmur went around the room at the conclusion of the pronouncement, while Renate knelt silently, trying to absorb the words she had just heard. She was in a daze as the guards lifted her to her feet and led her back to her cell.

After the door had been closed and bolted, she collapsed on the straw covered floor and wept uncontrollably.

Over the next two days, she was fed gruel and stale bread. She ate more out of habit than desire. At least twice a day, men came to rape her; Ahlers, the guards and, once, the scribe. She did not resist, even when one of the guards decided to take her anally. She had resigned herself to her fate and her physical existence no longer had any meaning.

Before noon on the third day, a priest entered her cell. He said he was Father Michael and he was there to hear her confession and administer the last rites.

“Did you not read my confession, Father?”

“I did, my child. But, I am to hear your confession of your sins from your own lips.”

“It’s a lie.” Renate whispered.

“What do you mean, my child?”

“I had sex with a man. I became pregnant. I buried the body. But, I did not kill my child. She was born dead.”

“But,” the priest said, “You signed a confession sworn before God. You bore false witness. That is a mortal sin.”

Renate panicked and grabbed the priest by his robes.

“Do not tell them, Father! If you tell them what I have said they will torture me again! I will have to lie again to stop the pain! Do not tell them!”

Renate released the priest and collapsed to her knees on the floor.

“Please, Father. I have confessed my real sins to you. I have confessed to bearing false witness. God knows what is true and God knows my reasons. God will decide my punishment. I can take no more punishment in this world. Please, Father, grant me absolution and let me face God’s judgment.”

The crowd had gathered early in the town square. An area in front of the massive Romanesque Church of St Sebastian had been cordoned off by a wooden barricade. A tall wooden post stood in the center. A pile of timbers surrounded the base, stacked in a four-step pyramid about chest high to a grown man. A length of chain hung from a bent spike about waist high on one side of the stake. Bundles of branches lay on the cobblestones nearby.

Ahlers, wearing the leather apron of his office, stood in front of the post with another man, similarly clad except that he was also wearing a pair of leather gloves. This was Johann Schuck, the executioner of Tüburg. Ahlers didn’t like Schuck or the fact that he had been ordered to assist him, but, he was an expert and the owner of the new tool that was heating in a nearby brazer.

“Only got to use it once,” Schuck was explaining, “Back in June, on a witch. She was an old hag with saggy tits and it ripped them real good. You say this one’s young? She got nice tits?”

Ahlers nodded.

“Good.” said Schuck, “Can’t wait to see what it’ll do to young tits.”

Renate sat on a bench in a four wheeled cart that trundled through streets. Her disheveled blond hair hung over her shoulders. She was wearing a course linen shift and nothing else. She had been taken from her cell to another room, where her own, soiled shift and her kerchief had been taken away. A short, stout woman the guards called Frau Ahlers came in with bucket of water and a rag. She proceeded to wash off Renate has if she were washing down a horse. When she was done, she helped Renate put on the shift she now wore. It was short sleeved and barely reached past her knees. Frau Ahlers also gave her a small, wooden cross which she now held tightly in her hands.

Father Michael stood behind her, droning away words in Latin which she couldn’t understand. Renate did not know it, but the priest’s presence was protecting her. If he had not been there, she would have been pelted with garbage and dung and even stones. But, no one wanted to risk missing her and hitting a Man of God; so the only thing hurled at Renate were harsh words. They called her a baby killer and a whore. But, Renate didn’t react to the insults. She was lost in a fog. She was adrift in a storm that swirled around her and she could do nothing to control it, or even understand it.

The cart and it’s passengers and the city militiamen who had walked behind entered the cordoned off area. Two of the militiamen climbed into the cart and hauled Renate to her feet, then handed her down to Ahlers who waited below. He held her by the arms from behind, forced her to walk to the side of the square and turned her to face the raised platform where the Magistrates, Baunach, Steinacher and other city officials and dignitaries sat.

The Chief Magistrate stood and read out the sentence that had previously been announced. He ended with the words: “Executioners, do your duty.”

Ahlers hustled the unresistant girl to the center of the square, where Schuck stood waiting beside the brazier. Schuck took hold of the collar of her shift with both gloved hands and pulled down and outward. The front ripped open and, as he pulled further, the entire front portion was pulled away and down her shoulders, exposing her breasts. They were greeted by hoots and cheers from the appreciative mob.

Renate looked to the sky. She was beyond feeling shame or embarrassment and only want for this all to end.

Schuck took a moment to appraise the firm, creamy-white young bosom. Then, he smiled and nodded before walking over to the smoking brazier. He took hold of the iron handles of the tool that had been heating there and held it aloft for all to see.

“Oohs” and “aahs” from the crowd caused Renate too look in that direction. She saw Schuck approaching with a strange tool in his hands. It looked like a pair of blacksmith’s tong but, past the hinge point, it had a more sinister appearance. Instead of the flat bill of standard tongs, it ended in something that looked like hooked fingers, two on one side, three on the other, that inter-meshed when the tool was closed. As he got closer, she could see that the tips were pointed and glowed a dull red.

“Hold her tight, friend,” said Schuck, “She’s gonna fight it.”

Ahlers wrapped his arms around Renate’s behind her back and leaned back, lifting her feet off the ground. She cried out and squeezed her eyes shut from the strain placed on her still damaged shoulders. Then, she screamed.

Schuck had opened the tongs to their widest and then closed them on either side of her right breast. The red-hot tips penetrated less than a centimeter, before he began pulling the tongs toward him. Renate howled like a wounded animal as they tore gouges along the side of the formerly unstained breast. She thrashed about as much as Ahler’s grip would allow. Schuck released the breast, then turned it and closed it again from above and below the large, brown aureole. He made a shorter, quicker draw the tore through the areola, just missing the nipple.

Looking down, over her shoulder, Ahler could not help but admire the quality of the damage done by the ripper. The furrows it dug were deep, yet the heat of the tool had cauterized the wounds so that only a bit of blood oozed from them. The girl’s wailing proved that the damage was painful. And, the cheering of the crowd proved that this new punishment was appreciated. Ahlers knew that part of an executioner’s job was to entertain. He made a mental note to talk to a blacksmith about having a similar device made for his own use. There was no telling when the magistrates might decide to inflict this punishment again, especially if they knew that such an option was available. And, of course, he would be able to charge extra for the service.

Schuck had placed the ripper back in the coals and worked a hand bellows that sent a cloud of sparks into the air and made the coals glow yellow. After a minute, he pulled the tool out and checked the color of the metal. Unsatisfied, he pushed it deeper into the coals and worked the bellows some more. Pulling it out again, he appraised the look of the red glow of the iron, stood, and walked back toward Renate and Ahlers.

Schuck grabbed Renate’s hair and pulled her head back so she was looked at his face and at the horrible instrument in his right hand.

“One more knocker to go, bitch.” Schuck said in a cruelly mocking tone.

“No! God! No!” Renate screamed as Schuck released her hair and opened the ripper wide. Her cry for mercy became a scream as the tool dug into and gouged down the sides of her left breast. Her screaming continued as Schuck ripped the top and bottom of the breast, this time partially tearing off the nipple, leaving it hanging on by a small piece of flesh.

Renate slumped in Ahlers’ arms while Schuck laid the ripper on the ground next to the brazer. Ahlers thought for a moment she had fainted, but then he was able to hear a croaking groan over the din of he crowd.

Schuck returned and Ahlers commanded him to grab Renate’s feet. The two of them thus carried the girl up the steps of the pyre. They stood her with her back against the stake. Ahlers released his grip and, while Schuck held her upright by the shoulders, Ahlers wrapped the chain twice around her waist, pulled it tight, then hooked two links over the bent spike to secure it.

Ahlers then pulled Renate’s arms from the sleeves of her torn shift and bound her wrist behind the stake with a thin rope. He then wrapped a thicker rope around her ankles, securing them to the stake. The ropes might burn through before Renate died, but Ahlers was confident that the chain would hold her in place. When he was finished, he and Schuck descended from the pile of logs to continue their preparations. They placed bundles of wood on to each step of the pyre, others they laid upright against the sides all around.

While these preparations were going on, Renate stood bound to to the stake, her head down and her body leaning forward as much as her bondage allowed. Her breasts ached. The initial, blinding pain of the ripping had been replaced by a constant, throbbing pain. She was sobbing and each sob sent a fresh wave of pain as her breasts moved, but she could not stop herself. She was lost in a world of agony and oblivious to everything else until she smelled the first whiff of smoke.

The executioners lit torches in the brazer. They circled the pyre, thrusting their torches into the bundles of sticks leaning against it. They had both burned people before. Ahlers had burned an arsonist two years earlier and woman who had killed her husband five years before that. And Schuck had burned a coiner eight years ago and five witches in the past year. They knew how to build a proper fire. They had stacked the wood carefully to make the process effective but not quick, They both knew that the mob and their employers wanted the condemned to suffer. And suffer she would.

The acrid smell of smoke jolted Renate back to the reality of her situation. She was horrified as a wall of flames seemed to rise around her. In panic, she struggled against her bonds. It was futile, but, the awareness of her impending doom caused her to panic. As she struggled, the remnants of her shift began to slide down. Her gyrations caused it to work its way down, over her buttocks, off her hips and onto her thighs, exposing her pubis. This frantic striptease brought a chorus of hoots and cheers from the crowd that had been only murmuring till now. Finally, the garment dropped to form a pile at her feet and Renate was exposed completely.

Her nakedness didn’t trouble Renate. She screamed: “I’m innocent! I didn’t kill my baby! Please! Stop this! Someone! Save me!”

It is doubtful anyone in the crowd understood her over the cheering and taunting shouts and the increasing roar of the fire. Even if they had, no one would help her or even believe her.

Soon, the outer flames transferred to the inner layers of the pyre. Tongues of flame now licked at Renate’s legs and hips. Her screams were no longer coherent words but shrieks of agony. The pile of cloth around her ankles began to smolder and her feet were being burned from above and below.

Renate gyrated wildly as she tried to escape the growing inferno. The fire had burned through the rope around her ankles, but it had also burned the muscle and nerves of her lower legs to the point where she could not move them. Her long blond hair took flame, the flames intensified by her thrashing about. Soon, her head was crowned in fire.

Not long after, her movements ceased. She slumped forward in her chains and her arms, freed from the burned rope and missing her fingers, hung down before her. Whether she was dead or had lost consciousness, no one could say. It didn’t really matter. The fire, feed by extra bundles of wood tossed onto the pyre, would soon consume her.

Ahlers and Schuck would wait, while the crowd dispersed, until the fire burned itself out. They would then gather up what remained of young Renate in a sack and bury it in an unmarked grave in the paupers corner of a local grave yard.

Sentence was carried out as ordered, on the twenty-forth day of September, in the year of our Lord 1593.

Appendix
“Uninterrupted” trial record:

Record of trial as recorded by Ludwig Zeller, City Scribe:

15 September: By order of the Magistrates of the city of Faringen, Renate Schiller, daughter of Johann Schiller, free-farmer of the village of Hütendorf, is commanded to appear before said Magistrates to be questioned regarding matters of serious concern in order to ascertain her complicity in possible felonious acts

17 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates. Chief Magistrate Georg Silberhaus, presiding. Deputy Magistrates Franz Nuedecker, Adolphus Hoffmeister, Heinrich Runge and Balthasar Edelwert and City Scribe Ludwig Zeller attending. When asked to identify herself she responds that she is Renate Schiller, daughter of Johann Schiller and Dorothea Beck, of the village of Hütendorf, eighteen years of age and unmarried.

Upon being informed of the evidence against her, the accused denies the charges.

After being shown the corpse, the prisoner is commanded again to tell the truth. She admits that the child is hers and that she buried it but states that it was born dead. She is questioned further. Did she commit the act of fornication? She responds yes. She is asked if she killed the child? She responds no. Had she had carnal knowledge of any other men? She responds no. Did she become pregnant and give birth as a result of these carnal acts? She responds yes. Did anyone know of her pregnancy? She responds no. She is informed of the opinion of the learned Doctor Walter Baunach. She again states that the child was born dead.

The Magistrates decide to adjourn the trial and consider their next course of action.

18 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates. She is told that they have concluded that she has lied and that the child was born alive and killed afterward. She is asked if she wishes to change her testimony. She maintains that this is not true. She is told that she must confess the truth or the Magistrates will have no choice but to order her to be tortured.. She swears upon the saints and the Blessed Virgin that she has told the truth. Trial is relocated to the torture chamber.

The prisoner is again implored to tell the truth. She again says she has spoken the truth and has nothing more to add. She is ordered to strip herself bare. She hesitates and protest her modesty. She informed that if she does not cooperate, she will be forcibly stripped.

The Surgeon Baunach is asked to examine the prisoner. He does so and reports that she is fit to endure torture without endangering her life. The prisoner is urged to tell the truth. She continues to insist that she has done so and begs the court to show mercy. City Executioner Franz Ahlers is ordered to prepare her for torture.

The prisoner having been bound for torture is given another chance to speak the truth. She again refuses. The executioner is ordered to raise her in the strappado.

The prisoner cries out and begs to be released. She is lowered to the floor and told that she must speak the truth. She claims she knows no other truth than what she has spoken. She is ordered to be raised again.

The prisoner begs for mercy and swears in the name of Jesus that she speaks the truth. She is lowered. She is informed that the evidence presented proves that she is lying and that she must now speak the truth or face harsher treatments. She remains stubborn in her instance that the evidence is wrong and she has spoken the truth. It is ordered that weights be tied to her and she is raised again.

The prisoner cries out to The Virgin for mercy. She is ordered to confess he crime. She is left suspended for space of an hour. When the prisoner is lowered she confesses that she killed her baby upon its birth. Her confession is recorded and she is returned to her cell.

20 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates and assembled City officers and asked to confirm her confession of the previous day. She denies the confession and protest her innocence. She is ordered to be returned to the torture chamber.

Upon being stripped and bound, the prisoner has a change of heart and reaffirms her confession. The confession is read to her:

I, Renate Schiller of the village of Hüterdorf, daughter of Johann Schiller and Dorothea Beck, do swear in the name of God, that I did have carnal knowledge of a man outside the sacrament of marriage and did become impregnated through said couplings. I concealed my condition from my family and others. I gave birth to a daughter in secret and smothered said baby thus causing its death. I buried the body of my daughter in the woods behind my house in order to conceal my sins. I did these things with full knowledge of the sinful and criminal nature of these acts and did so on my own without the assistance of any others. I confess all of these things freely and confirm with my mark.”

The prisoner is instructed to make her mark and complies.

22 September: The prisoner is brought before the Magistrates and assembled City officers. She is read her confession and again confirms it. Her sentence is then proclaimed.

We, the Magistrates of the City of Faringen, of the Bishopric of Tüburg, acting in the name of His Excellency, the Most Reverend Prince-Bishop Karl Joseph von Himmelsbach, having considered the evidence and heard the confession of the accused, freely given and confirmed, find the accused Renate Schiller of the village of Hüterdorf, daughter of Johann Schiller and Dorothea Beck, guilty of the crime of infanticide. We therefore, condemn said Renate Schiller to be put to death. She is to be taken, bareheaded and barefoot to a place of execution. There, she is to have both breasts torn with an iron tool. She is then to be bound and burned alive at the stake. May God have mercy upon her soul.”

Sentence was carried out as ordered, on the twenty-forth day of September, in the year of our Lord 1593.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed this.
Nice writing, Naraku!:clapping::clapping:
A striking element in the story, is the absence of any defence attorney. He would have requested at least a more evidence-based report on the state of the baby after her birth.
If her family had had money, she may have had a defense attorney. Unfortunately, in those days, it was "You have the right to an attorney. If you would like an attorney but cannot afford one, too fucking bad." In any case, like most parts of Europe, the Archbishopric of Tüburg operated under a version of the Code of Justinian where the rule was "guilty until proven innocent".
In reality, a XVI century trial would have lasted a lot longer with long breaks between sessions. Some cases took years to resolve. But, I didn't want to slow things down with legalisms and went right to the stuff I thought would be of most interesting for my audience.:devil:
Again, thank you for your support.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

If her family had had money, she may have had a defense attorney. Unfortunately, in those days, it was "You have the right to an attorney. If you would like an attorney but cannot afford one, too fucking bad." In any case, like most parts of Europe, the Archbishopric of Tüburg operated under a version of the Code of Justinian where the rule was "guilty until proven innocent".
In reality, a XVI century trial would have lasted a lot longer with long breaks between sessions. Some cases took years to resolve. But, I didn't want to slow things down with legalisms and went right to the stuff I thought would be of most interesting for my audience.:devil:
Again, thank you for your support.
Understood! Something like : "You have the right to remain silent, but anything you don't say shall be used against you! You have the right to take an attorney, if you can afford one!"

This is certainly a well researched and meticulously written piece. I have seen on this site example's of Naraku's artwork. I wonder if he would lend his artistic skill to illustrating the story that he has written.

This is certainly a well researched and meticulously written piece. I have seen on this site example's of Naraku's artwork. I wonder if he would lend his artistic skill to illustrating the story that he has written.
Thank you for you kind words.
I stopped doing art for public consumption awhile back because it was too time consuming and I no longer derived pleasure form it.
However, if anyone else would like to illustrate this story, they have my blessing.
If they do, it may help[ to know that the tool used on Renate's breasts is based on one shown in the 1922 Swedish film "Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages".
renate.jpg

Thank you for you kind words.
I stopped doing art for public consumption awhile back because it was too time consuming and I no longer derived pleasure form it.
However, if anyone else would like to illustrate this story, they have my blessing.
If they do, it may help[ to know that the tool used on Renate's breasts is based on one shown in the 1922 Swedish film "Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages".

I'm sorry that there won't be any pictures to accompany your well written story. I recall illustrations of yours in the past including some excellent sketches of witches being stretched on the ladder. As you say, time constraints and a sense of accomplishment must govern anyone's participation in this form of kink. Haxan was revolutionary for its time being made just after World War I with some limited nudity. As was the case with Day of Wrath (Vredens Dag) made during World War II in Nazi occupied Denmark which also showed a little skin while being one of the most effective films on the subject of witch hunts.

Back
Top Bottom