Any Reason I Can't Open Any Youtube???

Go to CruxDreams.com
Any videos posted on crux forms the past two days I just get a black box and the 'Y' of YouTube in the lower right corner. If I look up a video on line (Windows 7, Google- not chromed) I get YouTube without a problem...
So what you're saying then is that if you go direct to Youtube then you can watch the video but nothing happens if you try to watch it on CF - that sounds like it might be an ad-blocking issue - do you use ad-blockers (I do - ruthlessly - but I use Firefox not Chrome (Which is made by Google and sucks up masses of usage data and feeds it back to the G empire), so I don't get issues with it. Saying that, I did run into a few issues with blank videos on Youtube long ago when I first installed Adblock Plus - If you use that one, make sure you tell it to allow content from Youtube.

If this is only a recent problem, then it's possible that a browser update has broken something (as updates invariably do)

Tree, your not alone.
You have the same issue too?

Are you using the same browser as Tree?

Trying to establish if there's a pattern to this...

If anyone else is having issues like this please post the link to the thread on CF so can check it out myself, thanks

You have the same issue too?

Are you using the same browser as Tree?

Trying to establish if there's a pattern to this...

If anyone else is having issues like this please post the link to the thread on CF so can check it out myself, thanks
Windows 7 ultimate, SP 1 with all updates.
Firefox 43.0.1

I think that are Google/YouTube restrictions can't open embeded videos. Not a drama for me. Direct on the youtube website the videos work.

Madiosi

I think that are Google/YouTube restrictions can't open embeded videos. Not a drama for me. Direct on the youtube website the videos work.

Madiosi

Restrictions may be an issue but then why don't I have any problems since I'm also using Firefox (v47 at the moment). OK I'm running it in Linux Mint 17.3 rather than Windows 7 but the underlying OS shouldn't make any difference at all, since Youtube is a web service running on Google's server racks.

Please link me to the post where you can't play the video, thanks

Zwischenablage01.jpg
That i see in the last time by embeded videos from youtube.
Maybe i change the browser. Or i go direct to youtube.
Not a big problem for me.

View attachment 408265
That i see in the last time by embeded videos from youtube.
Maybe i change the browser. Or i go direct to youtube.
Not a big problem for me.
OK I think I've found that video - Fanfare for the common man by ELP (great choice BTW) but it plays perfectly for me. I accept that it's not a big problem for you, but I would like to find out what the problem actually is, in case other people are having issues with this.

Have you tried updating Flash Player?

Flash is becoming obsolete in these HTML5-focussed days, but it still causes issues from time to time (on facebook - mainly for games - as well as Youtube)

So what you're saying then is that if you go direct to Youtube then you can watch the video but nothing happens if you try to watch it on CF - that sounds like it might be an ad-blocking issue - do you use ad-blockers (I do - ruthlessly - but I use Firefox not Chrome (Which is made by Google and sucks up masses of usage data and feeds it back to the G empire), so I don't get issues with it. Saying that, I did run into a few issues with blank videos on Youtube long ago when I first installed Adblock Plus - If you use that one, make sure you tell it to allow content from Youtube.

If this is only a recent problem, then it's possible that a browser update has broken something (as updates invariably do)
I have Norton (ever try getting rid of that?) and its pretty benign in ad-blocking! You summed up my situation accurately...

I have Norton (ever try getting rid of that?) and its pretty benign in ad-blocking! You summed up my situation accurately...
Well if it is Norton causing issues (probably really slowing down your computer too), then it is possible to remove, but to make the process easier, Norton themselves produce a special removal tool. Doing it by hand would be a royal headache involving script and registry editing.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Madiosi, do you also use Norton?
(Still trying to find a pattern here)

Mr Tree, do you have any other Firefox extensions installed? Some of these can cause strange issues at times.
I have Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, FlashGot, HTTPS Everywhere, Video Downloadhelper, DownThemAll, BehindTheOverlay, JS Switch, Youtube-MP3 and Youtube Unblocker, yet even with all these, it's working fine for me. Maybe you need to update your Firefox? You said you were on 43 and the latest is 48. Maybe updating might fix the issue though it's impossible to tell what the real problem is without more data from more users

Actually, Madiosi is also on FF43 - Anyone else here having issues on FF43?

Well if it is Norton causing issues (probably really slowing down your computer too), then it is possible to remove, but to make the process easier, Norton themselves produce a special removal tool. Doing it by hand would be a royal headache involving script and registry editing.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Mr Tree, do you have any other Firefox extensions installed? Some of these can cause strange issues at times.
I have Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, FlashGot, HTTPS Everywhere, Video Downloadhelper, DownThemAll, BehindTheOverlay, JS Switch, Youtube-MP3 and Youtube Unblocker, yet even with all these, it's working fine for me. Maybe you need to update your Firefox? You said you were on 43 and the latest is 48. Maybe updating might fix the issue though it's impossible to tell what the real problem is without more data from more users

I use not Norton. Thank you for you help but make your not more work with this little problem.

I have none of the above and don't have Firefox...

I have none of the above and don't have Firefox...
Hmm, I thought I read earlier that you had Firefox 43. Have you tried installing Firefox and trying to access these videos using that?
There are a whole host of factors that could potentially cause this problem, but using a different browser should go a long way towards removing most of those at a stroke (browser extensions and addons etc).

I'd be interested to see what happens if you try a different browser (ie. if you're using Chrome then try IE - just for testing purposes - I'd never recommend you use IE on a regular basis)

Ultimately a lot of hipsters out there will tell you that Chrome is the best browser. It isn't. Firefox is WAY better (and massively safer, from a privacy standpoint)

Not sure if its related to Tree problem (and others) but i did upload a video last week (not crux related:) as "private" and i could not watch it afterward if i was not logged in to my YouTube account,that's with Firefox.
I then changed it to "unlisted"
and was able to watch it without being logged on to YouTube.
YouTube seems to have changed the restriction to access "private" video lately.
Hope this help!

I'd be interested to see what happens if you try a different browser (ie. if you're using Chrome then try IE - just for testing purposes - I'd never recommend you use IE on a regular basis)

Ultimately a lot of hipsters out there will tell you that Chrome is the best browser. It isn't. Firefox is WAY better (and massively safer, from a privacy standpoint)

Right - yes, I am having the same issue with recently posted YouTube links using Chrome,
but they're okay on Firefox. ;)

Not sure if its related to Tree problem (and others) but i did upload a video last week (not crux related:) as "private" and i could not watch it afterward if i was not logged in to my YouTube account,that's with Firefox.
I then changed it to "unlisted"
and was able to watch it without being logged on to YouTube.
YouTube seems to have changed the restriction to access "private" video lately.
Hope this help!
Yeah you have to be logged in to watch private videos. There is a method by which you can share private videos but just to watch one you've uploaded, you need to be logged into your Google account (otherwise anybody could theoretically stumble upon the URL and watch it as if it were a public video)

L
Right - yes, I am having the same issue with recently posted YouTube links using Chrome,
but they're okay on Firefox. ;)
Looking a lot like a Chrome problem then. Since by all accounts it was working for Chrome users until recently, I'm going to have to assume that the latest Chrome update has broken it :(

Since I refuse to install Chrome on my rig, I'm not able to test that but there have been a lot of issues affecting Chrome recently, including the dropping of the 32-bit versions which has impacted a lot of people with old Windows XP machines. Seriously they should use Firefox (but then you knew I was going to say that anyway). I can't even test it on my Android phone as I've rooted it and uninstalled all the Google services, including Chrome, but Firefox for Android is working OK.

Looks like we're getting this issue nailed down then. Google messes it up yet again :(

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen this issue in any other browsers. My guess would be that things like Comodo Dragon Browser, RockMelt, SRware Iron, CoolNovo and Chromium should be OK (for the moment) as although these are all based on Chrome (Chromium is the open-source version that doesn't support DRM while the others are pretty much just reskins of Chrome itself), they are all a couple of versions behind the main Chrome release, so whatever update has fucked this up probably hasn't landed on those broswers yet.

On the other hand, browsers like SeaMonkey, Iceweasel, Pirate Browser and the TOR broswer are all based on Firefox so I would expect them to work fine, though some of these are several versions behind the basic Firefox now and so may not support all the latest features.

I'm on Windows 10 and getting regular upgrades - there was one at the end of last week,
I wonder if that might have clashed with something Chrome's doing? But that wouldn't affect Tree.

I'm on Windows 10 and getting regular upgrades - there was one at the end of last week,
I wonder if that might have clashed with something Chrome's doing? But that wouldn't affect Tree.
My guess is that it's a Chrome update rather than a Windows update that's borked it this time (Though Microsoft's track record on this sort of thing isn't very impressive either)

I've done a bit of online research and it appears that an early version of Chrome had this exact same problem, and that could be fixed by completely clearing the cache, browsing history and cookies. Also, check that javascript is working properly - Youtube won't work if javascript is disabled (although since the videos play on Youtube's own web page I think we can discount that one)

Yes, I'd expect anything like that to block YouTube entirely, the weird thing is I can still watch older clips posted here,
it's just these recent ones that are blocked. I suppose the sensible thing for me to do would be to use Firefox -
I do use that for RL, but prefer to keep CF and similar quite separate. Maybe I'll try one of those others.

Back
Top Bottom