Art Gallery

Go to CruxDreams.com
How come he gets to wear something and I don't? :mad:

It's a very interesting question Barb. Why was ut acceptable for the female model to be totally nude and in the arms of the male? Was covering him considered to be sufficient to make the situation acceptable? It casts an interesting light on attitudes of the time.

I lack sources to cite, but I gather that in the 19th and early 20th centuries nude male artist models wore a cache sexe to cover their willies. Can’t recall any male nudes from that era in which said willies roamed free.

Well, maybe when women weren't present it was more acceptable?

Here is a late 19th century crucifixion study with a naked male model
Crucifixionstudy19thC.jpg

This is by the artist Rehder, looks late 19th/early 20th century and looks to be from a naked life model
Rehder_Cruci.jpg

Muybridge of course
Muybridge model.jpg

This is Man Ray, artist and model, not sure of the date but probably a little after the period we are talking about. 20s or 30s?
tumblr_lt2ollroQo1qcl8ymo1_500.jpg

It's a very interesting question Barb. Why was ut acceptable for the female model to be totally nude and in the arms of the male? Was covering him considered to be sufficient to make the situation acceptable? It casts an interesting light on attitudes of the time.

Well, maybe when women weren't present it was more acceptable?

Here is a late 19th century crucifixion study with a naked male model
View attachment 566255

This is by the artist Rehder, looks late 19th/early 20th century and looks to be from a naked life model
View attachment 566256

Muybridge of course
View attachment 566258

This is Man Ray, artist and model, not sure of the date but probably a little after the period we are talking about. 20s or 30s?
View attachment 566259
My sister was at art school in the 1960's, she has said that their models, whether male or female, had to be either fully clothed or fully naked.
No bras, panties or briefs/posing pouches to be shown. One woman, fairly middle-aged it has to be said, remarked one day:-
"Can't I get me vest and knickers on it's so chilly like this?" She was severely reprimanded by the tutor.

My sister was at art school in the 1960's, she has said that their models, whether male or female, had to be either fully clothed or fully naked.
No bras, panties or briefs/posing pouches to be shown. One woman, fairly middle-aged it has to be said, remarked one day:-
"Can't I get me vest and knickers on it's so chilly like this?" She was severely reprimanded by the tutor.

Things happen to those who have a tendency to complain a lot :rolleyes:

Actually, Google attributes that to František Drtikol, well-loved here for his pioneering photos of crucified women.
His style and Man Ray's - especially male nudes - aren't easy to tell apart, I think.

And not be allowed bra and knickers seems to be just one of those things :p

This is what Americans visualize when they hear the word "knickers."

"Two great peoples divided by a common language." ;)

Attachments

• 6721137B-FDEE-442C-96AB-574D28AE3479.jpeg
    6721137B-FDEE-442C-96AB-574D28AE3479.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Actually, Google attributes that to František Drtikol, well-loved here for his pioneering photos of crucified women.
His style and Man Ray's - especially male nudes - aren't easy to tell apart, I think.

You're right Eul, the attribution was from memory. Somewhere along the line years ago I picked up the idea that it was a Man Ray self portrait. Thanks for the correction!

How did I not recognise the work of Drtikol!

drt11.jpgccf12042010_00018.jpg

Modern art
They say, the first thing you have to do when you enter a building, is look around where the emergency exits and the fire extinguishers are located!:eyebrow2:
Now, for once a concerned visitor is interested in the safety equipment of the museum, they make a mockery of it.:oops:

This is what Americans visualize when they hear the word "knickers."

"Two great peoples divided by a common language." ;)
Where does that ragtime music suddenly come from?:D

Back
Top Bottom