Burned at the stake

Go to CruxDreams.com
I read (somewhere) that in Britain at least (but not perhaps elsewhere in Europe) a woman convicted of witchcraft was usually hanged not burnt.
If she was also guilty of killing her husband, that was classed as "Petty Treason" and then she would be burned. Although in later times she would be strangled by a rope around her neck which would be pulled as the fire was lit. That failed in the execution of Margery Bedingfield.
Offences like "coining", making false money, was also Petty Treason so a female coiner might be burned to death.
Orginally a male coiner would be hanged, drawn and quartered, the usual male penalty for treason.
I read of one case in the later 18 thC, they had stopped the use of H, D & Q, so the man was just hanged. His female partner was burned at the stake. Seems very harsh, the judge must have had it in for women, perhaps he had a wicked stepmother (like myself).
On the Continent, witchcraft was classified as heresy and cases were built around the pact with the Devil.
In England, witchcraft was classified as a felony and cases were built around the supposed damages caused by the witch's use of magic: lose of crops, illness, death, etc. It was considered analogous to theft or murder & was punishable by hanging. In some cases, lighter sentences like flogging and fines were imposed.
The difference stems from the Continental laws being derived from Roman law - usually via Charlemagne or Justinian - while England operated under Anglo-Saxon Common Law.
Heresy was punishable by burning under English law, however, except for the reign of Mary Tudor, cases were rare. One notable case was Anne Askew, burned in 1546 during a time when Henry VIII was moving back toward Catholicism.
Treason by a woman, both high and petty was punishable by burning. Petty treason was unique to Common Law and primarily involved killing or attempting to kill one's social superior which included a husband. (Don't complain to me ladies, complain to the Anglo-Saxons.) Coining and other forms of forgery were petty treason until the XIV century when they were upgraded to high treason - not that it mattered, the punishment was the same.
Margery Jourdemayne (or Jordayn), known as the Witch of Eye was burned at the stake in 1441. But, her crime wasn't witchcraft. She was allegedly involved in a plot against Henry VI and was burned for treason.

Scotland followed the Continental rather than the English laws and burned witches. So, Eulalia, you better watch out.

On the Continent, witchcraft was classified as heresy and cases were built around the pact with the Devil.
In England, witchcraft was classified as a felony and cases were built around the supposed damages caused by the witch's use of magic: lose of crops, illness, death, etc. It was considered analogous to theft or murder & was punishable by hanging. In some cases, lighter sentences like flogging and fines were imposed.
The difference stems from the Continental laws being derived from Roman law - usually via Charlemagne or Justinian - while England operated under Anglo-Saxon Common Law.
Heresy was punishable by burning under English law, however, except for the reign of Mary Tudor, cases were rare. One notable case was Anne Askew, burned in 1546 during a time when Henry VIII was moving back toward Catholicism.
Treason by a woman, both high and petty was punishable by burning. Petty treason was unique to Common Law and primarily involved killing or attempting to kill one's social superior which included a husband. (Don't complain to me ladies, complain to the Anglo-Saxons.) Coining and other forms of forgery were petty treason until the XIV century when they were upgraded to high treason - not that it mattered, the punishment was the same.
Margery Jourdemayne (or Jordayn), known as the Witch of Eye was burned at the stake in 1441. But, her crime wasn't witchcraft. She was allegedly involved in a plot against Henry VI and was burned for treason.

Scotland followed the Continental rather than the English laws and burned witches. So, Eulalia, you better watch out.

Should i then move to Scotland,when they get independence i might just get lucky.

Could`nt I Ruin The Independence Vote and get Nicola Sturgeon to light the bonfire
or she wins the vote and burns me at the stake at a victory party
Whatever you prefer, perhaps murder Nicola Sturgeon instead. She would be seen as superior compared to you (whether that be true or no) so you would have to burn. Don't look for help to St Teresa of Westminster.

Scotland followed the Continental rather than the English laws and burned witches.
They were usually strangled at the stake before their bodies were burnt, although there are some cases on record of burning alive.

Indeed, that's how we deal with offenders! :devil:

'the thumbscrew and the stake' were the standard Inquisition menu for heretics -
the former hideously painful, even the toughest men broke at the threat of it -
and imagine being burnt - or crucified - with your thumbs still throbbing with pain from that torture!

Indeed, that's how we deal with offenders! :devil:

'the thumbscrew and the stake' were the standard Inquisition menu for heretics -
the former hideously painful, even the toughest men broke at the threat of it -
and imagine being burnt - or crucified - with your thumbs still throbbing with pain from that torture!
Screw them... they all deserved what they got!

Back
Top Bottom